Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
Great sounds great synth...
Old 11th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
Aaah the good old GS get both adage.. should have known better! No but seriously thanks for your assessment.. I realise I kind of answered my own question and that really it's a matter of personal preference with theses two.. However I'm still not sure I "like the Prophet better".. it just seems like maybe it's more versatile/timeless but the OB-6 did impress me more with it's multimode filter tricks.. but then flipping through the hundreds of patches it sounds like the same rezo tricks keep showing up while the P6 tends to surprise more with it's variety (even if less wow factor but more like "oh cool it can do that too"). Interesting side note, the sales guy told me they sell a lot more P6's then OB6's even since the OB6 release.. somehow in the GS universe it sounded like the OB6 was way more popular.. not that this kind of stuff (synth popularity) matters at all to me.. just thought it was interesting..

you'll be getting the p6 also? i noticed you have the minilogue and are quite happy with it, i also want to get it but i know my mind would be on the p6 so i'll just get a blofeld instead of both of them for pads. it's a tough decision between the p6 and ob6 and after a few videos i decided if i went for any of them it'd be the p6 but can't help noticing that one will program those kind of sounds suited for their own kind of music i am not too fond of all the patches i hear in youtube videos for the p6 but i like its tone and it seems very versatile so it'd be great to get my hands on one.
Old 12th November 2016
Lives for gear

Old 12th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFM View Post
you'll be getting the p6 also? i noticed you have the minilogue and are quite happy with it, i also want to get it but i know my mind would be on the p6 so i'll just get a blofeld instead of both of them for pads. it's a tough decision between the p6 and ob6 and after a few videos i decided if i went for any of them it'd be the p6 but can't help noticing that one will program those kind of sounds suited for their own kind of music i am not too fond of all the patches i hear in youtube videos for the p6 but i like its tone and it seems very versatile so it'd be great to get my hands on one.
Yeah i love the ML, especially for its price but it remains a budget poly with its set of limitations. Same could be said about my JX3P & Juno (which are DCO polys) The P6 & OB6 are big boy polys.. they also have the American sound which I'm missing.

Choosing in between both remains tough. I'm sort of leaning towards OB6 currently. As others have mentioned, the P6 unfortunately has to live up to its P5 sibling and hence will always be compared unfavorably to it. The OB6 is a bit of its own beast being a Dave Smith / Tom Oberheim hybrid. I also feel it's more special, even though less versatile as far as bread n butter sounds. I don't know, may feel different tomorrow.. both are really impressive!
Old 20th November 2016
Lives for gear

Random question...I noticed my 2nd oscillator is quite a bit louder than the first...I wouldn't say its an "issue," more of a quirk really. Anyone else notice this?

Level matched they sound pretty much the same. Curious if its just mine.
Old 21st November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights View Post
nice
Old 25th November 2016
All synth parts Prophet-6 except for the "voices"

https://soundcloud.com/paul-schillin...-dream-tribute
Old 13th December 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by robleighton22 View Post
Luke - any intention to make your classic sound presets available? they sound wkd.
Yes i will be making my patches available to buy in 2017.... Also patches will be available for OB6/ DX7/ Moog LP/ SY77/ JX10 and loads more. All will be warm/vintage/classic type sounds
Old 13th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by APHELEON View Post
In the above video you can see the player is struggling to reach the higher notes in Totos Africa. What a shame!

I still think DSI missed the mark when it comes to a players dream synth. If this had 5 octaves like the Prophet 12 it would have been much better and it would feel more like a no compromised synthesizer. I still hope Dave Smith will make a new flagship synthesizer with weighted keys and poly aftertouch 5 octaves or even 73 keys like their awesome Prophet T8.
Old 13th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk View Post
In the above video you can see the player is struggling to reach the higher notes in Totos Africa. What a shame!

I still think DSI missed the mark when it comes to a players dream synth. If this had 5 octaves like the Prophet 12 it would have been much better and it would feel more like a no compromised synthesizer. I still hope Dave Smith will make a new flagship synthesizer with weighted keys and poly aftertouch 5 octaves or even 73 keys like their awesome Prophet T8.
Just get a master keyboard with 88 keys and you can play whatever in every pitch. There is nothing wrong with 4 octaves, especially when you have the octave buttons right there on your left.

Also, in the past it was common that musicians had only one synth. These things were expensive and thus, they played two lines with one sound. Nowadays this is not necessary anymore since synths became much more effortable and every musician has at least 2 keyboards on stage. In addition it saves space in your studio.

Regarding the super-analog synth, I would not hold my breath. The Prophet-T8 was a synth that everyone wanted but nobody bought in the end. Not sure if Mr. Smith is repeating this mistake.

Last edited by raffor; 13th December 2016 at 04:27 PM..
Old 13th December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor View Post
Regarding the super-analog synth, I would not hold my breath. The Prophet-T8 was a synth that everyone wanted but nobody bought in the end. Not sure if Mr. Sith is repeating this mistake.
I believe I have read that "this mistake" is his favorite creation and prize synth. I would love one and will be holding my breath!
Old 13th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just get a master keyboard with 88 keys and you can play whatever in every pitch. There is nothing wrong with 4 octaves, especially when you have the octave buttons right there on your left.

Also, in the past it was common that musicians had only one synth. These things were expensive and thus, they played two lines with one sound. Nowadays this is not necessary anymore since synths became much more effortable and every musician has at least 2 keyboards on stage. In addition it saves space in your studio.

Regarding the super-analog synth, I would not hold my breath. The Prophet-T8 was a synth that everyone wanted but nobody bought in the end. Not sure if Mr. Sith is repeating this mistake.
Caaaaaaaaaaage!
Old 13th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ADSR_ View Post
I believe I have read that "this mistake" is his favorite creation and prize synth. I would love one and will be holding my breath!
I didn't judge the synth, just the sales numbers! The customer decides and at the end they did not buy it.

There are many examples of high end synths that sell in the hundreds instead of the thousands. Just look at the sales numbers of a Waldorf Wave, Solaris, or Schmidt? They are all great synths but they are niche products. Compare that with a Prophet-6 sales numbers. I think DSI sold as many P6s in the first month as Bowen did with his Solaris up to date.
Old 13th December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
I didn't judge the synth, just the sales numbers! The customer decides and at the end they did not buy it.

There are many examples of high end synths that sell in the hundreds instead of the thousands. Just look at the sales numbers of a Waldorf Wave, Solaris, or Schmidt? They are all great synths but they are niche products. Compare that with a Prophet-6 sales numbers. I think DSI sold as many P6s in the first month as Bowen did with his Solaris up to date.
Agreed!

I just hope continued large sales of P6/OB6 type products affords Dave the opportunity to pull off something like a T8 - even though it may not achieve the same sales numbers.

I am a dreamer, you know.
Old 13th December 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeNeptune View Post
I just came on here to share my new video but APHELEON had already beaten me to it lol

Hi Luke!!!!! Big fan of yours!!!! your lovely cover of Prince's I would die for you on the Prophet 6 is beautiful to say the least!! It's the reason why I stalk this thread actually!

Found you looking for Armin Van Helden's You don't know me to listen to on youtube and found your cover, one of the best I've ever heard!!! Loved the littlephatty solo you add!!

Cheers man
Old 13th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ADSR_ View Post
Agreed!

I just hope continued large sales of P6/OB6 type products affords Dave the opportunity to pull off something like a T8 - even though it may not achieve the same sales numbers.

I am a dreamer, you know.

There were not that many T8's made and by the time of it's release due to cost wasn't a great success.

In this day and age where people want something for nothing i don't see DSI going beyond the $3000 -$3500 price . Things like the P-12, P-6 and OB-6 are out of many peoples reach even though they are priced fairly considering the likes of P-5 and OBX back in the day. Even an 8 voice prophet or OB with 5 octaves and split /layer might be pushing it as it would be out of even more peoples reach.

Being realistic i see something like a Pro-8 or 10 . Something on the lines of the Pro-2 but poly, Dropping the cv inputs, sequencer and delays then add the polymod on top of the lfo's and fx's from the OB-6/P-6 , Split/layer mode ,chord memory and 5 octaves. Maybe he could pull that in for $3500.
Old 13th December 2016
Lives for gear

I am really hoping for a "Mopho X4" type synth with their current designs. Smaller keyboard, less voices, meant for gigging.
Old 13th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbow View Post
I am really hoping for a "Mopho X4" type synth with their current designs. Smaller keyboard, less voices, meant for gigging.
DSI might have to go that route and start using Curtis chips again to compete with the likes of the deepmind.
Old 13th December 2016
Gear Nut
A poly Pro-2 is basically the Prophet 12, if you drop the CV and sequencer. I don't see him doing that since it would kill the Prophet 12.

The Prophet 8 is pretty old now.
What about a Prophet 8 rev2 with the new CEM oscillators and P6 filters, P12 modulation matrix, 4 LFO's, updated looks of the Prophet 12, OLED display, new effects from OB6? That would be really awesome if it's around $2000-2500. I'd get that!
Old 13th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronvonellis View Post
A poly Pro-2 is basically the Prophet 12, if you drop the CV and sequencer. I don't see him doing that since it would kill the Prophet 12.

The Prophet 8 is pretty old now.
What about a Prophet 8 rev2 with the new CEM oscillators and P6 filters, P12 modulation matrix, 4 LFO's, updated looks of the Prophet 12, OLED display, new effects from OB6? That would be really awesome if it's around $2000-2500. I'd get that!
Prophet 12 and Pro-2 have totally different filters... Prophet 12 is now close to 4 years old.

There could be a Prophet 08 update with more like the Tetra as a 6/8voice and fx to try and compete with the deepmind.
Old 14th December 2016
Lives for gear

I think , like someone else on here.. perhaps not on this thread. A Yamaha cs variant built on the 6 voice p6/ob6 chassis is next for dave.
Wasnt it yamaha that gave him back the sequential name? Perhaps there was a clause in that. Ie 3rd synth in, he would do a cs 6 voice. It does seem relations are good between the two. The DSI CS6. Thats a gasser up there with the ob6 and would fly off the shelves imho. It may well work well for both yamaha and DSI. I still think there is mileage in that chassis to do a whole load of interesting things with it.
Old 14th December 2016
Gear Addict

GUYS !!!

A CTRLR panel for the prophet 6 just appeared.

Prophet 6 editor | Ctrlr - Control your MIDI life (MIDI editor for all your hardware)

I don't have the Prophet 6 but I have the OB6. With little changes here & there, this panel will propably work for the OB6 too (their midi implementation are almost identical). I'll try to do it next week. Soundtower does not release his stuff fast enough I'm afraid...

If someone can try the editor for the prophet 6 already and tell us if it works, that would be nice .

Bye !
Old 14th December 2016
Gear Nut
I don't think Dave could compete directly with Deepmind. His stuff is made in San Francisco vs. made in China. It's going to be much more expensive to manufacture than Berhinger. He has to go for higher quality vs. trying to compete on the low end of the market. Hence P6, OB6 and getting rid of the Tetra's. Although I think the Deepmind DCO's sound better than the static Curtis DCO's.
That's why the CEM's would work good for him, since they would be cheaper to use in a synth, than discrete circuitry.
Old 14th December 2016
Lives for gear

At this point, Dave can do what he wants. His stuff is pretty solid, if not quirky to a degree.
IMO, he flies in the face of industry, as a prelude.
A step in front, even to a fault. Briliant dude, doesn't give a rats a$$, but somehow caters.
I hope to graduate to a Dave synth someday.
Old 14th December 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosacosta View Post
A step in front, even to a fault. Briliant dude, doesn't give a rats a$$, but somehow caters.
Great quote!
Old 14th December 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle133 View Post
Hi Luke!!!!! Big fan of yours!!!! your lovely cover of Prince's I would die for you on the Prophet 6 is beautiful to say the least!! It's the reason why I stalk this thread actually!

Found you looking for Armin Van Helden's You don't know me to listen to on youtube and found your cover, one of the best I've ever heard!!! Loved the littlephatty solo you add!!

Cheers man
Hey cheers Kyle. Much appreciated. Big smiles
Old 15th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiller View Post
I think , like someone else on here.. perhaps not on this thread. A Yamaha cs variant built on the 6 voice p6/ob6 chassis is next for dave.
Wasnt it yamaha that gave him back the sequential name? Perhaps there was a clause in that. Ie 3rd synth in, he would do a cs 6 voice. It does seem relations are good between the two. The DSI CS6. Thats a gasser up there with the ob6 and would fly off the shelves imho. It may well work well for both yamaha and DSI. I still think there is mileage in that chassis to do a whole load of interesting things with it.
Have you seen the inside of CS 50,60 and 80. More like the inside of an organ than synth. Just can't see it happening..
Old 8th January 2017
Gear Head

I just love my Prophet~6. It can sound lush or aggressive, whatever you want... The distorsion is so useful to fatten the sound up.

Thought I'd share this example here. One track using the sequencer.

Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridholm View Post
I just love my Prophet~6. It can sound lush or aggressive, whatever you want... The distorsion is so useful to fatten the sound up.

Thought I'd share this example here. One track using the sequencer.

I know how you feel... I`ve had mine since June 2015... I play it everyday. Its just a beautiful machine. Nice track by the way. Can you expand a bit on what you did?

Thanks,
E
Old 9th January 2017
Here for the gear

A CTRLR panel for the prophet 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlou View Post
GUYS !!!

A CTRLR panel for the prophet 6 just appeared.

Prophet 6 editor | Ctrlr - Control your MIDI life (MIDI editor for all your hardware)

I don't have the Prophet 6 but I have the OB6. With little changes here & there, this panel will propably work for the OB6 too (their midi implementation are almost identical). I'll try to do it next week. Soundtower does not release his stuff fast enough I'm afraid...

If someone can try the editor for the prophet 6 already and tell us if it works, that would be nice .

Bye !
I installed CTRLR on a mac, loaded this new prophet 6 panel and was able to turn the software dials on the UI which caused the relevant prophet 6 program parameters to change, and vice versa - cool.

However I wasn't able to automate the changing of e.g. low pass cutoff over time in Ableton because strangely, all the program parameters in this VST plugin appear as undefined_0, undefined_1, undefined_2 etc. and they all do nothing. Viz.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ters%20bug.png This might be a bug or perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

As I understand it, what should happen is that the program parameters for this prophet 6 CTRLR panel acting as a VST (or indeed, any 3rd party plugin in Ableton) should start out empty and would normally be populated by hitting 'configure' on the plugin object inside Ableton then clicking on the relevant prophet 6 panel UI knobs and switches, resulting in those (correctly named and functioning) program parameter sliders to appear in Ableton - which can then be automated within Ableton or any DAW.

There are apparently many cool ways to control the prophet 6 or any hardware synth using CTRLR technology, as described by this great article about CTRLR use and workflow. Perhaps this deserves a separate thread to debug, share and discuss how to use this prophet 6 panel?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search