The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland JD-XA,... WOWZA.
Old 2nd July 2020 | Show parent
  #7381
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by marioisaac View Post
Here you can see the waveforms: it is clear that the JD-XA Digital Part is stuttering the sound while sweeping the Pitch Coarse Knob.
Wow
Old 2nd July 2020 | Show parent
  #7382
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto View Post
I meant the used market. Looking at Reverb things have gotten pretty high (even though ads linked at the bottom of this page seem to show lower prices that aren't actually on the site):

I will NEVER understand this quoting of Reverb prices as gospel.

Reverb is THE WORST reference you could possibly use to gauge what people are actually willing to pay for anything.

The price is jacked up 40-60% on EVERY Reverb listing.

The company takes a HUGE profit on EVERYTHING sold through them. To try and account for that 50% mark up on sales between one person and another is just silly.

STREET PRICE = at least 1/2 of reverb price.

For instance, when I owned a JDXA (Since sold) I paid $800 for it.

Think about it, any retail outlet you know who has one has been trying to sell it for YEARS I know two local music stores who were forced to take a JDXA along with the initial JDXI shipment (Roland has an odd retail policy if you want any of their stuff you have to take ALL of their stuff. Those two JDXA's have been sitting unsold for 8 YEARS NOW!

On Craigslist they NEVER sell,

But people think that can get two grand for them?

Come on, you should understand how Reverb works well enough to realize they do not set the market for any item.

The best way to find out what people are paying for anything is the "Completed sales" tab on eBay......and searching it now......There you go, there's your price.

$750 May 21, 2020
$899 April 24, 2020
$1300 or best offer (So we don't know what it sold for, but its less than $1300)
$1170 (The dummy had it priced at $900 but then kicked in extra to make sure he got it, but he could have had it for $900)

This is REALITY not the fantasy world of reverb. The JDXA is worth LESS than $1000 dollars, despite Roland charging three grand when it was released

Here is the proof. read it and weep. Don't let anyone tell you that synth is worth over $750, it isn't. And I predict it will go even LOWER.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&LH_Complete=1
Old 2nd July 2020 | Show parent
  #7383
Lives for gear
 
ZT Scheer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oekoumene View Post
Does anyone know if its possible to poly chain 2 jdxas together? Would love 8 analog voices...
Not directly. There are a number of external MIDI routers which could achieve the same result via round-robin assignment. There are some VST-based MIDI processors which do the same thing ... so if you hooked up 2 JD-XAs to a laptop ... etc.
Old 2nd July 2020 | Show parent
  #7384
Lives for gear
 
ZT Scheer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by marioisaac View Post
Here you can see the waveforms: it is clear that the JD-XA Digital Part is stuttering the sound while sweeping the Pitch Coarse Knob.
OK ... so the digital part Coarse Tuning steps in semi-tones. So does my Prophet REV2. This is expected behavior, as that's how it's designed to work.

If the Analog part behaves differently ... not sure what the actual issue is. MiniMoogs work that way ... Odysseys, SH2, Jupiter-8 ... a long list.
Old 3rd July 2020 | Show parent
  #7385
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer View Post
Not directly. There are a number of external MIDI routers which could achieve the same result via round-robin assignment. There are some VST-based MIDI processors which do the same thing ... so if you hooked up 2 JD-XAs to a laptop ... etc.
Midi routers? Thanks I will explore this some more.
I wonder if 2 jdxas could talk to each other directly over midi or usb without a computer?
Old 3rd July 2020
  #7386
Gear Addict
 

It would be cumbersome but 8 analog jdxa voices would be the ducks nuts, maybe I could chop the keys off one and modulise it..
Old 3rd July 2020 | Show parent
  #7387
Lives for gear
 
ZT Scheer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oekoumene View Post
Midi routers? Thanks I will explore this some more.
I wonder if 2 jdxas could talk to each other directly over midi or usb without a computer?
They can talk to each other just fine over MIDI, but there is no polychain feature.

You'll need a router or computer to make polychain happen.
Old 4th July 2020 | Show parent
  #7388
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
That is the most brutal stepping I've ever heard in my life.

Is it still under warrantee?
Quote:
OK ... so the digital part Coarse Tuning steps in semi-tones. So does my Prophet REV2. This is expected behavior, as that's how it's designed to work.

If the Analog part behaves differently ... not sure what the actual issue is. MiniMoogs work that way ... Odysseys, SH2, Jupiter-8 ... a long list.
You guys got me confused. Totally contradictory answers.

ZT Scheer, do you mean that sine waves on Minimoogs and odyseeys, etc., sound squarish?
Old 4th July 2020 | Show parent
  #7389
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
I will NEVER understand this quoting of Reverb prices as gospel.

Reverb is THE WORST reference you could possibly use to gauge what people are actually willing to pay for anything.

The price is jacked up 40-60% on EVERY Reverb listing.

The company takes a HUGE profit on EVERYTHING sold through them. To try and account for that 50% mark up on sales between one person and another is just silly.

STREET PRICE = at least 1/2 of reverb price.

For instance, when I owned a JDXA (Since sold) I paid $800 for it.

Think about it, any retail outlet you know who has one has been trying to sell it for YEARS I know two local music stores who were forced to take a JDXA along with the initial JDXI shipment (Roland has an odd retail policy if you want any of their stuff you have to take ALL of their stuff. Those two JDXA's have been sitting unsold for 8 YEARS NOW!

On Craigslist they NEVER sell,

But people think that can get two grand for them?

Come on, you should understand how Reverb works well enough to realize they do not set the market for any item.

The best way to find out what people are paying for anything is the "Completed sales" tab on eBay......and searching it now......There you go, there's your price.

$750 May 21, 2020
$899 April 24, 2020
$1300 or best offer (So we don't know what it sold for, but its less than $1300)
$1170 (The dummy had it priced at $900 but then kicked in extra to make sure he got it, but he could have had it for $900)

This is REALITY not the fantasy world of reverb. The JDXA is worth LESS than $1000 dollars, despite Roland charging three grand when it was released

Here is the proof. read it and weep. Don't let anyone tell you that synth is worth over $750, it isn't. And I predict it will go even LOWER.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&LH_Complete=1
No thats just wrong

Auction prices are low..like 1 bid sales...thats because its the middle of a pandemic. BIN prices are much higher...and they were before folks were in lockdown or desperate to sell gear.

So yeah you can hunt for a bargain but outside of a worldwide pandemic this is not an $800 synth..It was $1300 to $1500
Old 5th July 2020 | Show parent
  #7390
Lives for gear
 
ZT Scheer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by marioisaac View Post
You guys got me confused. Totally contradictory answers.

ZT Scheer, do you mean that sine waves on Minimoogs and odyseeys, etc., sound squarish?
It does not appear that you understand what we are discussing.
Old 5th July 2020 | Show parent
  #7391
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer View Post
It does not appear that you understand what we are discussing.
Well I asked if the extreme suttering behaviour on the digital part was normal.
You replied, that digital part Coarse Tuning steps in semi-tones is expected behaviour. I assumed you meant that stuttering behaviour was normal. Did you meant otherwise?

terrible.dee, said it was not. and gave example of many digital synths that behave smoothly while sweeping the coarse knob.

That's what I meant by contradictory answers.

Thank you anyway for replying.
Old 5th July 2020 | Show parent
  #7392
Lives for gear
 
ZT Scheer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by marioisaac View Post
Well I asked if the extreme suttering behaviour on the digital part was normal.
You replied, that digital part Coarse Tuning steps in semi-tones is expected behaviour. I assumed you meant that stuttering behaviour was normal. Did you meant otherwise?

terrible.dee, said it was not. and gave example of many digital synths that behave smoothly while sweeping the coarse knob.

That's what I meant by contradictory answers.

Thank you anyway for replying.
Those answers would only be contradictory if they were noting the exact same synthesizers.

Let's also be clear about terminology. "Stuttering" is a term only you seem to be using. "Stepping" is not the same thing ... at all.
Old 5th July 2020 | Show parent
  #7393
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer View Post
Those answers would only be contradictory if they were noting the exact same synthesizers.

Let's also be clear about terminology. "Stuttering" is a term only you seem to be using. "Stepping" is not the same thing ... at all.
Well, those answers were referring to the same class of objects: Digital Synths.

If statement 1 affirms that the displayed behaviour is expected in digital synths, and statement 2 affirms that the displayed behaviour is not expected in digital synths, then there is a clear contradiction.

Words refer to objects, in this case a specific event. I attached vivid examples of the event in question, in visual and acoustical mediums (a picture of the waveform, and a audio file), in order to avoid possible misrepresentations.

If you listen and see the examples I provided, then stuttering more closely signifies the event in question, rather than stepping.

A trillion sided Polygon, technically is still a Polygon, but in practical terms it more closely resembles a circle than a Polygon.

Same in our case, the stepping is so brutal (as terrible.dee stated) that suttering more closely resembles the event in question.

Roland JD-XA,... WOWZA.
Roland JD-XA,... WOWZA.

I reattach the previously attached files.
Attached Thumbnails
Roland JD-XA,... WOWZA.-jdxa-digital-sweep.jpg   Roland JD-XA,... WOWZA.-jdxa-analog-sweep.jpg   Roland JD-XA,... WOWZA.-ableton-analog-sweep.jpg  
Attached Files

JDXA Digital Part Saw-A Pitch Sweep.wav (228.7 KB, 1070 views)

Ableton Analog Saw Pitch Sweep.wav (248.1 KB, 1045 views)

JDXA Analog Part Saw Pitch Sweep.wav (224.8 KB, 1074 views)

Old 6th July 2020 | Show parent
  #7394
Lives for gear
 
ZT Scheer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by marioisaac View Post
Well, those answers were referring to the same class of objects: Digital Synths.
No, I listed one synthesizer ... not the entire class of "digital synthesizers".

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioisaac View Post
If statement 1 affirms that the displayed behaviour is expected in digital synths, and statement 2 affirms that the displayed behaviour is not expected in digital synths, then there is a clear contradiction.
I never asserted that such behavior is present in all digital synths, or that all digital synths were identical in this respect.

A first principle of logic is to check your premises before assuming or concluding that a contradiction exists.

Many digital instruments or effects have coarse tuning controls which step in semi-tones. In such cases, they are not intended to be used as performance controls per se ... at least not if you want a smooth glide from one pitch to the next, etc.

This may not be the behavior you personally want or desire, but it does not constitute a design or manufacturing defect.

You seem to have gone full Dunning-Kruger regarding both synthesizer design as well as (pretty elementary) logic. This is the part where you should stop pontificating and opining, and start learning,
Old 6th July 2020 | Show parent
  #7395
Gear Addict
 
Exe2479's Avatar
 

Quote:
Many digital effects have coarse tuning controls which step in semi-tones. In such cases, they are not intended to be used as performance controls per se ... at least not if you want a smooth glide from one pitch to the next, etc.

This may not be the behavior you personally want or desire, but it does not constitute a design or manufacturing defect.
This. If anything, it is surprising that the analog coarse tune is smooth despite being semitone-stepped.

As said before this synth does have some other flaws, from the PWM artifacts in the supernatural oscs to the digital noise in the anlog path which comes from the leds but can't be eliminated. If this knob behaviour troubles you when you sweep it, then use the pitch bend or the modwheel or don't do it.
Old 6th July 2020 | Show parent
  #7396
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer View Post
No ,I listed one synthesizer ... not the entire class of "digital synthesizers".


I never asserted that such behavior is present in all digital synths, or that all digital synths were identical in this respect.

A first principle of logic is to check your premises before assuming or concluding that a contradiction exists.

Many digital instruments or effects have coarse tuning controls which step in semi-tones. In such cases, they are not intended to be used as performance controls per se ... at least not if you want a smooth glide from one pitch to the next, etc.

This may not be the behavior you personally want or desire, but it does not constitute a design or manufacturing defect.

You've seem to have gone full Dunning-Kruger regarding both synthesizer design as well as (pretty elementary) logic. This is the part where you should stop pontificating and opining, and start learning,
No need to insult buddy; I came here in a friendly manner, and I could continue refuting your arguments (in a civil way, and keeping a friendly tone of course), but that's not the point of this thread, so I won't go deep about it.
Old 6th July 2020 | Show parent
  #7397
Lives for gear
 
ZT Scheer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by marioisaac View Post
No need to insult buddy; I came here in a friendly manner, and I could continue refuting your arguments (in a civil way, and keeping a friendly tone of course), but that's not the point of this thread, so I won't go deep about it.
There is no insult in calmly observing that you are a bit out of your depth. It doesn't make you a "bad person", and I am absolutely not calling you stupid.

You're just at that point where you understand more than the average person on the street, but not as much as you imagine you do, and not as much as someone who is really into this stuff, and has been for decades.

So, here you are trying to argue as if there is some flaw or manufacturing defect with a product, when it behaves in a manner typical to all sorts of instruments of its type. Frankly, it's not even limited strictly to digital instruments. That's where your partially-informed expectations are bumping up against the limits of your experience. Again ... not a "crime", but that's still the end of the curve you are on at this point.

If you don't see that yet ... OK. It'll result in a lot of frustration for you, and perhaps that's an inevitable part of growth.
Old 23rd July 2020
  #7398
Gear Addict
any JD-XA owners here also own the JD-800 or 990? if so, do you feel like there are any similarities? does one have an advantage over the other sonically? sorry if this has been discussed in this thread already.
Old 24th July 2020 | Show parent
  #7399
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidtechno View Post
any JD-XA owners here also own the JD-800 or 990? if so, do you feel like there are any similarities? does one have an advantage over the other sonically? sorry if this has been discussed in this thread already.
This other thread should be useful:
JD-800 vs JD-Xa: romplering comparison?
Old 1st August 2020 | Show parent
  #7400
Gear Addict
is there some sort of global midi setting? it seems that the different parts really bounce around between patches.
Old 16th August 2020
  #7401
Gear Head
 

Can one still order an overlay for the JD-XA from Roland for free or a fee? Before i get the synth, i would like to know.
Old 16th August 2020 | Show parent
  #7402
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandelume View Post
Can one still order an overlay for the JD-XA from Roland for free or a fee? Before i get the synth, i would like to know.
I don't think they are doing them any more. However, I noticed on a fb JDXA page the guy from Synth Graphics has done another run of the ultra cool JP inspired overlays.

Pricey, but worth it imo. Transforms my XA.

http://www.synthgraphics.com/jd-xa.html
Old 16th August 2020 | Show parent
  #7403
Lives for gear
 
breakmixer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandelume View Post
Can one still order an overlay for the JD-XA from Roland for free or a fee? Before i get the synth, i would like to know.
Some 3rd party ones appear on Ebay now and then, just a FYI.
Old 17th August 2020 | Show parent
  #7404
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
I don't think they are doing them any more. However, I noticed on a fb JDXA page the guy from Synth Graphics has done another run of the ultra cool JP inspired overlays.

Pricey, but worth it imo. Transforms my XA.

http://www.synthgraphics.com/jd-xa.html
Wow! The white one is really cool! It's so often that Synthgraphics is out-of-production it's a nice surprise that these are actually available. Makes me want to hunt for a deal on a used JD-Xa!
Old 17th August 2020 | Show parent
  #7405
Here for the gear
 

Hey guys, does anyone knows how to send CV Out from the JDXA to a modular synth?

Nevermind, i got it working. Had to set in System Settings the midi channel whose output would send CV/Gate messages.

The calibration it’s great. Can get very accurate results by tweaking the CV/Gate Out Ref Note, Scale, and Fine Tune Settings.
Old 18th August 2020 | Show parent
  #7406
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandelume View Post
Can one still order an overlay for the JD-XA from Roland for free or a fee? Before i get the synth, i would like to know.
i thought i already posted this but maybe im losing my mind. anyway my thoughts...

this thing is unbearable to look at without the overlays. im not really sure whats going on in Roland land but im really shocked that the shiny panel design made it into mass production. like a team and everyone had to ok this? i didnt think they could do much worse than the monster green but they managed to exceed expectations.

on the other hand, it sounds great. hands down, top notch in that department. they did an amazing job and again they managed to exceed expectations. best sounding roland synth since the v-synth IMO (very different yes) but also one of ugliest in the companies esteemed history.
Old 18th August 2020
  #7407
Lives for gear
 
duplobaustein's Avatar
Everyone told them at the NAMM where they showed the prototype. Still they held onto this horrible design.
Old 18th August 2020 | Show parent
  #7408
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by duplobaustein View Post
Everyone told them at the NAMM where they showed the prototype. Still they held onto this horrible design.
gluttons for punishment
Old 26th October 2020 | Show parent
  #7409
Gear Maniac
 
Pythonis Rogue's Avatar
For what it's worth, I got mine about this time last year. Used, around $1300. It was in good shape. The synth is challenging but fantastic. Amazing tones, and so much power. I've not explored it's depths at all but the sounds already on board and on the Roland site have given me tons to work with to do anything I want. I should have got it sooner. Unfortunately, I was new to synths when this was released and placed too much faith in Nick Batt when he bashed this thing in the SonicLab review.
Old 28th October 2020
  #7410
Lives for gear
 
duplobaustein's Avatar
He didn't bash it at all.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 3564 views: 425410
Avatar for SawneyBean
SawneyBean 3 weeks ago
replies: 435 views: 51303
Avatar for woodswalker
woodswalker 16th January 2018
replies: 88 views: 10984
Avatar for galaxiesmerge
galaxiesmerge 26th July 2020
replies: 9033 views: 785763
Avatar for Stormchild
Stormchild 1 week ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump