The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
3 New Teenage Engineering Synths announced!
Old 21st January 2015
Lives for gear

3 New Teenage Engineering Synths announced!

Hadn't seen this here yet...Not exactly what I was expecting. But pretty cool...

Teenage Engineering and Cheap Monday Launch new Micro Synths : AskAudio Magazine
Old 21st January 2015
Lives for gear

Looks very interesting.
Old 21st January 2015
Very cool
Old 21st January 2015
Gear Nut

Naked synths
Old 21st January 2015
Lives for gear

Otterbox™ sold separately.
Old 21st January 2015
I joked a while back that the race was on to make the first pocket-synth. Welll.......here it is! There are the Korg tid-bits, but they are just small, this is actually made for you pocket.

It's a no from me.
Old 21st January 2015
Lives for gear

Knowing Teenage Engineering, I'm surprised they are only $59...
Old 21st January 2015
Gear Nut

I'd have preferred an OP-2.
Old 21st January 2015
Lives for gear

Will buy all three for the price of one volca? If multi-unit sync is possible, HELLZ TO TH YEASS
Old 21st January 2015
Lives for gear

The only drawbacks I see are apparently no sync and no power in other than batteries. Really amazing product after seeing the video.
Old 21st January 2015
Lives for gear

If these were solar powered like the Texas Instruments products they resemble it would be awesome...
Old 21st January 2015
Lives for gear

I'm betting that they'll run adequately long with the batteries to last at least one jam sessions worth. Most of the juice will go to powering the output, can't imagine a tiny processor like that eating much battery..
Old 21st January 2015
Lives for gear

Damn i want the rhythm one so bad!
I bet it can make some super awesome distorted Holden'ish/out of sync poly rhythm patterns.
Old 21st January 2015
Damn no sync is a bit of a disappointment...after buying a volca samle Ive decided to build a suitcase battery operated rig, these wouldve fitted right in
Old 21st January 2015
Lives for gear

Awesome. I'll definitely get the PO-12.

Last edited by steveswisher; 21st January 2015 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: Spelling.
Old 21st January 2015
Lives for gear

Even if one could send audio into a small another unit like these and sync it all to midi, it would be awesome!!!! Make a little box to put them all in and have a Full long synth workstation in the size if a hardback book. The cool/geek factor is off the charts.
Old 21st January 2015
Lives for gear

I think i might smash it to pieces afters about 2 hours :-]
Old 21st January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Damn no sync is a bit of a disappointment...after buying a volca samle Ive decided to build a suitcase battery operated rig, these wouldve fitted right in
Perfect reason to own a vintage sampler or munch it up in your fav soft Sampler!
Old 21st January 2015
Deleted b788fee
We are getting closer to those Happy Meal synths ... Still, something intriguing about this ... But how is it better/different than something on an iPhone?
Old 21st January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b788fee View Post
We are getting closer to those Happy Meal synths ... Still, something intriguing about this ... But how is it better/different than something on an iPhone?
its kinda like the hardware software arguement when it comes to tactile control.

Ive an ipad stuffed with just about everything and beyond firing them up once or twice theyre a novelty to me

bought a volca sampler at the weekend and have played with it every night...knobs and buttons, simple but thats what it comes down to imo
Old 21st January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazper View Post
Perfect reason to own a vintage sampler or munch it up in your fav soft Sampler!
could be used like that, anything could really...just for my purposes Id like sync to be interested
Old 21st January 2015
"If you’re wondering about sync, there is a second minijack that allows you to chain and synchronize tempo between units. (I had encouraged Jesper to do that when I first saw these and he was already contemplating it; I have to find out if you can make the minijack work with apps or volcas or MIDI or the like.)"

Nintendo Game & Watch Inspires Tiny, $59 Synths from Teenage Engineering [CDM Hands-on] - Create Digital Music
Old 21st January 2015
Lives for gear
Hmm...drum machine seems interesting, but the sync issues (?) and the fact that in the sneak peak video above he said there are only three tempos - "genre"-based ones at that - make me unsure. At that price it's still impressive, and there is something about it even if it's a toy...
Old 21st January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofex View Post
"If you’re wondering about sync, there is a second minijack that allows you to chain and synchronize tempo between units. (I had encouraged Jesper to do that when I first saw these and he was already contemplating it; I have to find out if you can make the minijack work with apps or volcas or MIDI or the like.)"

Nintendo Game & Watch Inspires Tiny, $59 Synths from Teenage Engineering [CDM Hands-on] - Create Digital Music
Fook yeah
Old 21st January 2015
Lives for gear

drums seem super easy to operate, this could be fun!
Old 21st January 2015
Lives for gear

More from the article:

Quote:
And yes, you can sync other stuff. Jesper tells me, “yes, under development we connected them to KORG volca, Roland [TR-]606 and other stuff and it works fine with units that have click tracks.
You can also create your own click track by recording the click track from a PO to an OP-1. Also works with the iPhone app SyncKontrol [for monotribe] from Korg.”

Updated: all three models will have accessories so they’re easier to carry around. Teenage Engineering shared some packaging illustrations of how those will work – there’s a silicon case for the unit (a prototype is at NAMM), plus a display protector. They’re not shipping yet, but we’ll watch out for them.

The “Pro Case” (hilarious name) isn’t just a cute sleeve with a neck lanyard. What’s really nice about it is that it both protects the unit and gives you easier-to-play silicon buttons. We’ll be keen to try that out to see how it feels. Of course, there’s some nerdy pleasure to the bare board in the cardboard packaging.
Old 21st January 2015
Deleted b788fee
Old 21st January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by booksy View Post
and the fact that in the sneak peak video above he said there are only three tempos - "genre"-based ones at that - make me unsure.
That wasn't the finished product. The demo version he had was missing the screen. Hopefully they've improved on functionality since then.
Old 21st January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveswisher View Post
That wasn't the finished product. The demo version he had was missing the screen. Hopefully they've improved on functionality since then.
True...I just had a wtf moment...looks like there are some sync options anyway.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search