The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kawai K5000S - the return
Old 14th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwarsell View Post
Are these still patches on the net for this synth? Someone is selling K5000s locally for $450, sounds like a good deal?
People are asking $1k for the Wizoo book on Amazon...lol. Costs more than the synth.
Get it.
Old 14th May 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
The notice had been up maybe for two hours, I was the second in line.
Old 28th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Keep thinking about getting a K5000S. I probably won't even need it (making instrumental background music for), but I just lack that synth I GAS says I need to have it. Terrible feeling.
Old 2nd November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey gang, I’m thinking of getting a 5000S, but it seems to have a couple of buttons that are hard to press - is this a common, fixable problem? Thanks!!
Old 2nd November 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I had couple of buttons that needed harder pressing. When I tried to fix them, the result was that I broke the whole thing so that it did not boot at all... had to sell it and get another one, like a true slut. Be careful with the main board.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteenisnine View Post
I had couple of buttons that needed harder pressing. When I tried to fix them, the result was that I broke the whole thing so that it did not boot at all... had to sell it and get another one, like a true slut. Be careful with the main board.
Woah! Thanks fir the tip!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Bouhalassa View Post
Hey gang, I’m thinking of getting a 5000S, but it seems to have a couple of buttons that are hard to press - is this a common, fixable problem? Thanks!!
I replaced about half the buttons of my previous unit; not so hard if you have some basic soldering skills. The most critical step is desoldering the old button; if the iron is too hot, you can pull the track up.

I got the buttons from some Chinese store (dealextreme.com or aliexpress.com, can't remember now) and paid just a few cents for each of them (see attached photo).

They worked perfectly and the K5000 seemed as if it was a brand new unit after the replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
Kawai K5000S - the return-k5000buttons.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastropiero View Post
I replaced about half the buttons of my previous unit; not so hard if you have some basic soldering skills. The most critical step is desoldering the old button; if the iron is too hot, you can pull the track up.

I got the buttons from some Chinese store (dealextreme.com or aliexpress.com, can't remember now) and paid just a few cents for each of them (see attached photo).

They worked perfectly and the K5000 seemed as if it was a brand new unit after the replacement.
Thanks for the mention of the Kawai K5000 in the Emu thread. I'd never heard of one before, but I really like the sound. I was looking for a long time for the the particular synth used in the "Shamanic Princess" soundtrack. Do you know if it was?

I've never used one personally, but from the Youtube demos it sounded pretty similar
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmel View Post
Thanks for the mention of the Kawai K5000 in the Emu thread. I'd never heard of one before, but I really like the sound. I was looking for a long time for the the particular synth used in the "Shamanic Princess" soundtrack. Do you know if it was?

I've never used one personally, but from the Youtube demos it sounded pretty similar
Hi tmel, I've just realised you asked me about it privately. If you don't mind I'm pasting here the same response I sent you since it is an interesting topic:

Wow... nice OST. I'm a fan of anime and Japanese art and culture (I visit Japan almost every year) but never paid attention to Shamanic Princess before.

It's hard to say what synths have been used for these OST. The K5000 is capable of a wide range of sounds but so other synths are.

So, might the K5000S have been used on these tracks? Yeah, maybe. But some other synths come to my mind: Yamaha FS1R, Yamaha SY77 or any advanced FM synth. Japanese composers tend to use Japanese instruments only so it's likely a Yamaha, Roland or Korg. It doesn't sound like a Korg to my ears (or at least not a Korg from the 90s period!). Same goes for 90s Roland synths.

Back in 1996 (when this OST was produced), the Yamaha FS1R had not been released yet, so there aren't so many options. The Kawai K5000S seems to perfectly fit the gap indeed (similar sound, release date and it's Japanese).

My guess is that a Kawai K5000 and/or a Yamaha SY77/99 have been used.

Very interesting topic!
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastropiero View Post
Hi tmel, I've just realised you asked me about it privately. If you don't mind I'm pasting here the same response I sent you since it is an interesting topic:

Wow... nice OST. I'm a fan of anime and Japanese art and culture (I visit Japan almost every year) but never paid attention to Shamanic Princess before.

It's hard to say what synths have been used for these OST. The K5000 is capable of a wide range of sounds but so other synths are.

So, might the K5000S have been used on these tracks? Yeah, maybe. But some other synths come to my mind: Yamaha FS1R, Yamaha SY77 or any advanced FM synth. Japanese composers tend to use Japanese instruments only so it's likely a Yamaha, Roland or Korg. It doesn't sound like a Korg to my ears (or at least not a Korg from the 90s period!). Same goes for 90s Roland synths.

Back in 1996 (when this OST was produced), the Yamaha FS1R had not been released yet, so there aren't so many options. The Kawai K5000S seems to perfectly fit the gap indeed (similar sound, release date and it's Japanese).

My guess is that a Kawai K5000 and/or a Yamaha SY77/99 have been used.

Very interesting topic!
Thanks. Sorry I didn't get your PM.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
My K5KS shares a stand with SN2, SY-77 & Virus C; I have them all midi'ed from the K5KS, which has the nicest keybed. Next to that is a rack w/ 2 TX-7s and 2 TX-802s; I midi'ed these to the K5KS as well for a glorious pile of digital sound.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Roland's Sound Canvas was used an awful lot on all sorts of anime soundtracks in the 90s. The piano sound from that first video and strings might be very likely coming from one of those. Doesn't sound like a Yamaha or Korg piano sound from the 90s.

Yep, second video there is just tons of Sound Canvas.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Roland's Sound Canvas was used an awful lot on all sorts of anime soundtracks in the 90s. The piano sound from that first video and strings might be very likely coming from one of those. Doesn't sound like a Yamaha or Korg piano sound from the 90s.

Yep, second video there is just tons of Sound Canvas.
Yup, but I guess that @ tmel asked about the synth sounds (especially those that sound a bit 'dronish').

I've got 3 or 4 friends in Japan that used to work producing music for anime and video games back in the 90s and all of them had some variant of the Roland SC family (or even a Roland D-70), so you're somehow right.

However, they used the SC just for bread & butter sounds. For synth-alike patches, they had an SY99, an FS1R and typically a Yamaha sampler (Axxxxx can't remember the exact model).

Nowadays, VST instruments are heavily used, as well as the Motif/Montage series and sometimes a VA Roland such as the Jupiter-X.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
You wouldn't believe how far Sound Canvas sounds can be pushed through editing the built in synth engine, layering and applying some external FX...

That said, I suppose a JD-800/990 might also be in play here, much more probably than K5000 IMHO.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
You wouldn't believe how far Sound Canvas sounds can be pushed through editing the built in synth engine, layering and applying some external FX...

That said, I suppose a JD-800/990 might also be in play here, much more probably than K5000 IMHO.
That's another one I considered but I find those sounds too FMish for a JD-880.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Hmm, dunno didn't get that feeling. Which sounds in particular do you mean (timecode in which of the two videos)?
Gear Head

Quote:
Hmm, dunno didn't get that feeling. Which sounds in particular do you mean (timecode in which of the two videos)?
Not him. But to me to glitchy sounds and the synth arpeggios that were sort of in the background in the second song that reminded me the most of the K5000.

0:57

0:33

They sounded almost exactly like a factory preset in Kawai demo I saw. I'll find that time stamp later when I have time.
πŸ“ Reply