The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Do you like your Yamaha CS15D?
Old 10th January 2015
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Do you like your Yamaha CS15D?

Hello,

Im just about to get a Yamaha CS15D but i would like to have some feedbacks about this analog synth.

It dosent have a lot of user reviews about this synth...

So do you like it? Good bass?

Thanks
Old 10th January 2015
  #2
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
Great bass, but not Moog bass, it's a beautiful sounding instrument. Some of the presets use a Bandpass filter.

Did you watch Marc Doty's video? It's educational
Old 10th January 2015
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Starspawn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroy View Post
Hello,

Im just about to get a Yamaha CS15D but i would like to have some feedbacks about this analog synth.

It dosent have a lot of user reviews about this synth...

So do you like it? Good bass?

Thanks
Damn you
Sincerly
The next one who sent that guy a mail when price dropped.

Ive got a CS15 though, and dont expect the 15D to be nearly as flexible, but the underlying tone is nice, the best bass will be from presets probably as the high pass isnt selectable in manual.
And no ext input.
My thought was to either just collect it in the family (with CS15 and D85) or trade it for an SK20.

If youre not impressed and/or theres a few more small troubles that wasnt mentioned, Ill take it for what you paid.
Which is about 1000+ (kr) below market value of working one Id say.
I can fix/mod it myself so not to bothered with quirks.
Old 10th January 2015
  #4
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
There is no Highpass on the D apparently, well, technically there is, but the presets only use Bandpass or low pass mode, and the manual mode has only low pass. So it would take a significant amount of work to address the preset filter, which technically does have the components for Highpass (a Bandpass filter is just a low pass and high pass in serial) in that mode.

Still, a lovely sounding synth.
Old 10th January 2015
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Great bass, but not Moog bass, it's a beautiful sounding instrument. Some of the presets use a Bandpass filter.

Did you watch Marc Doty's video? It's educational
Great, yes i watch it, it convince me.

Cant wait to try it!
Old 10th January 2015
  #6
PES
Lives for gear
 
PES's Avatar
I was considering this one as well. I didn't really look into it, but would it be easy to make a breakout box with knobs for the preset-only layer? If the presets are just different sets of resistors for each parameter, just remove them from one of the presets and make it so there are pots between those points and voila? Or?
Old 10th January 2015
  #7
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PES View Post
I was considering this one as well. I didn't really look into it, but would it be easy to make a breakout box with knobs for the preset-only layer? If the presets are just different sets of resistors for each parameter, just remove them from one of the presets and make it so there are pots between those points and voila? Or?
lovely synth , add some reverb or delay and its a really nice pallette of sounds.
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Gear Nut
 

Resurrecting this old thread as I'm just about to receive a 15D

I'd like to ask anyone with a CS15-D how they control it with midi, I know it has an odd CV system so any good recommendations for a midi to CV converter ?

Kenton I presume ?

Thanks
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Gear Nut
Yep! Kenton is the ticket.

I use a Kenton Pro Solo to interface with mine and it works beautifully. One pro tip is to get some splitters and trigger both synths at the same time. She’s a great little synth. Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORCHESTRION View Post
Resurrecting this old thread as I'm just about to receive a 15D

I'd like to ask anyone with a CS15-D how they control it with midi, I know it has an odd CV system so any good recommendations for a midi to CV converter ?

Kenton I presume ?

Thanks
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrumjaago View Post
I use a Kenton Pro Solo to interface with mine and it works beautifully. One pro tip is to get some splitters and trigger both synths at the same time. She’s a great little synth. Enjoy!
Thanks Vrumjaago

What are these splitters you've mentioned ?

Also if I use the Kenton with a splitter can I assign the two different CS15-D synths to different midi channels ?
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Gear Nut
Some clarification

Sorry. I should have clarified. I meant splitter cables. e.g. Kenton CV out to splitter cable then CS-15 CV in 1 and 2 and same with the gate. If you had two Kenton boxes you can use the CS-15 like two monosynths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORCHESTRION View Post
Thanks Vrumjaago

What are these splitters you've mentioned ?

Also if I use the Kenton with a splitter can I assign the two different CS15-D synths to different midi channels ?
Old 1 week ago
  #12
TJT
Lives for gear
The beatstep pro works really well with my CS-15. It sends hz/volt to both oscillators and envelopes on two separate channels. So, you can fully sequence it like two separate synths all from the Arturia. It also works as a through put midi to CV converter (like the Kenton) so you can sequence it from your Daw. The only drawback to the Beatstep Pro is that the power connector is a USB c port which is prone to breaking, so it's best for studio use only.
Old 1 week ago
  #13
Gear Nut
 

Thanks so much guys

Both the Kenton and Beatstep are good, I will now investigate further

For over 5 years now I've wanted a mint condition CS15-D, I finally found one that looks brand new, I'm waiting whilst it's in transit from Japan and I'm excited as well as concerned due to shipping delays due to the corona epidemic.

Bad timing I know !
Old 1 week ago
  #14
Lives for gear
If you're into DIY, there's a cool mod to replace the preset section with a copy of the voice 2 controls...

more here: https://anlage-e.de/cs15d-channel-1-...ion-mainboard/

Old 1 week ago
  #15
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by butter View Post
If you're into DIY, there's a cool mod to replace the preset section with a copy of the voice 2 controls...

more here: https://anlage-e.de/cs15d-channel-1-...ion-mainboard/


You've just got to admire his skill doing this, I doubt we will see many having this treatment over say a Poly 800 mod etc

But has he essentially just created a CS15 , I wonder what uniqueness this mod provides ?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump