The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Minikeys or Fullsize keys. What say you?
View Poll Results: Minikeys or Fullsized keys. What say you?
(1) Minikeys
21 Votes - 13.55%
(2) Fullsized keys
134 Votes - 86.45%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear

Minikeys or Fullsize keys. What say you?

If a bigname synth manufacturer was going to release a brand new, super cool, analog synth, would you prefer to have it come with mini keys or full sized keys?

I'm wondering why there are so many things coming out with mini keys?

Is it because that most people actually prefer mini keys?

Is it because that many people don't actually give a damn about playing at all?

Is it because manufacturers no longer care about playability, and favor portability?

Is it because that the average human hand size of keyboard players has been rapidly shrinking over the span of a mere few decades?

I'm just asking.
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear

Full size 99% of the time. The synth has to be really useful for me to settle for mini keys.
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear

I think the portability is a strong factor. A lot of people want to have compact rigs with 'able to play anywhere' gear. There's a lot of stuff out there that have been miniaturized and done well.

I'm not sure whether I personally prefer mini keys or full size, but I do like mini keys. It gives me an alternative way of playing and it's also easier on the fingers to play (read: easier to press keys down). I think manufacturers are going with current demand and trends.

I've personally been wanting someone to make a 45 or 49 Minikeyboard (USB) controller for a while. There are 25,37 and 61 key sizes out there, but nothing in the 40s. 37 is nice, but I really want more 12 more keys. Aftertouch would be awesome and I wouldn't mind paying more for it at all. In fact I would be thrilled. So as you can see I like minikeys because they allow me to compose wherever I want to take my laptop and minikeyboard. I currently use iRig Keys and it's great.

I think the misconception is that people who only know and content with regular sized keys feel puzzled as to why someone would want any other means of playing. As we've seen in the last decade or two there are new ways of playing electronic music people have taken to, such as Launchpads and Tenori Ons. Minikeys seems to fall along the same lines.

Last edited by rids; 10th January 2015 at 09:49 AM..
Old 10th January 2015
Gear Nut

About time a thread luke this popped up..would be great if people.could've their rants about mini keys and put them in here!! Personally, I don't mind em... What I do mind are mini jacks!!! (a la ms 20 mini!)
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear

Minikeys only exist because manufacturers realized there are more and more amateurs. They think amateur have no exigeance. As affordable instruments came out, they wondered what else they could cut, since amateurs aren't exigeant in their opinion, and probably amateurs can't play keys anyways in their opinion, they created minikeys.
Basically they sell a toy to amateurs.
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear

I'd prefer no keys over mini keys. Such a waste of money and space.
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear

no keys at all.
I have enough Midikeyboards.
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear

Ask me in a year. I'm more of a sequencer than a player, and minikeys are a bit easier to travel around, but the more I play the better I get on full sized keys.
Old 10th January 2015
at least one of each and everything else with no keys, ideally
i.e.
a portable (can use batteries) with decent full size keys, even just 25 of them, with velocity and aftertouch = very useful
a mini keys with either really small footprint or a large number of keys in a small space, here at least velo sensitivity makes it useful.
one master with full size velo and aftertouch, ideally >49 keys - non-portable.

That covers all bases. I don't mind mini keys although I'd not like it as a master keyboard. Everything else hardware sound related should come in a small rack/desktop configuration with no keys at all, at least as an option. There's only so many actual keyboards anyone needs, I think!

Hey, what about ribbons & switches, hehe...
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear

Back from being banned because of my anti mini keys crusade last week. This thread is a warm welcome. Had long deep thoughts about my actions while I was in the banned darkness from the Gearslutz Empire, and after careful consideration I came to the conclusion that my hatred for the Mini Keys has grown exponentially. But I feel stronger than ever now... I breathe, and I feel alive.. I will cast my vote, and it's good to see that like many other strong warriors on this board, we still prefer full size keys. We must prevail, we must fight them, we must continue and be strong!!
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic92 View Post
Back from being banned because of my anti mini keys crusade last week. This thread is a warm welcome. Had long deep thoughts about my actions while I was in the banned darkness from the Gearslutz Empire, and after careful consideration I came to the conclusion that my hatred for the Mini Keys has grown exponentially. But I feel stronger than ever now... I breathe, and I feel alive.. I will cast my vote, and it's good to see that like many other strong warriors on this board, we still prefer full size keys. We must prevail, we must fight them, we must continue and be strong!!
You sacrificed yourself for the greater good by being banned because of your full size keys ideals. You have my respect and my keyboard. I know it is not easy to live a full week without the light of the Gearslutz.

All hail Full Size Keys!

Last edited by patrickdafunk; 10th January 2015 at 04:48 PM..
Old 10th January 2015
Gear Addict
Mini keys are for people who can't really play. And those with little tiny hands, and/or skinny fingers. And toy instruments. And children. But not for real keyboardists, or regular-sized adults.
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by colusa View Post
Mini keys are for people who can't really play. And those with little tiny hands, and/or skinny fingers. And toy instruments. And children. But not for real keyboardists, or regular-sized adults.
I think there are a lot of examples that keyboardists can play mini keys, I personally just don't prefer it at all. Sure, I can play mini keys, that's not the problem. But you want to be able to play the synthesizer like you would play a steinberg or bosendorfer grand piano. You don't want to compromise by expressing yourself on something you rather don't want to play. We compromise today because there isn't anything available in the market that offers the perfect balance between expressiveness, performance orientated and sound in a Poly Synthesizer.

The keys on the Prophet 08 or Prophet 12 are okay, and you can play very expressive with some practice, but I still would like to see synthesizers that goes beyond that level of expressiveness, and goes more into CS-80 territories.

Last edited by patrickdafunk; 10th January 2015 at 01:09 PM..
Old 10th January 2015
Gear Nut

Old 10th January 2015
Someone should probably make a CS-80 level midi controller keyboard. All the expressively of it, but affordable because it's a controller for all the other hardware that people can actually afford (and carry).
Old 10th January 2015
Here for the gear

MiniKeys are awkward to professional keyboardists.....I mean, you make do if you HAVE to.
A few minikey models are ok -especially as protable controllers- but a trend AWAY from full size keys in certain new synths to appease the one finger crowd is another thing altogether!

Before you flame me, please understand, I am not slamming any genre or musician rather, I slam the idea to run towards whats hot at the moment to the exclusion of a demographic that is a faithful long term client.
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear
Putting mini keys on a synth is like sticking emoticons of sad-faced speckled kittens on a funeral card for a deceased soldier.
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear

Don't care either way. Even the buttons on my Analog 4 are fine.
Old 10th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaxton View Post
About time a thread luke this popped up..would be great if people.could've their rants about mini keys and put them in here!! Personally, I don't mind em... What I do mind are mini jacks!!! (a la ms 20 mini!)
Yes, I dont like the mini keys and the mini jack on my MS20 mini. In fact my quite big local music shop sell the MS20, but not jack adapters to so you can bring the output of the synth into a mixer.............

I have a MS20 next to me that I want to play , but cannot plug it into my sound system. Usually I use a V-machine to convert it into 1/4 jacks, but I left both V-machines at the band rehearsal room this som days ago. I is not OK that you have to use adapters to plug it into a normal sound system.

I wonder if the new odyssey wil have mini jack outputs too.
The Behringer might be very interesting with full size keys, maybe velocity and patch storage. I think even Basstation2 got most things correct. A poly version of it might be very tempting, especially if you can put all voices in unison and do adjustable detune like I can in my Prophet600 with gligli update.

Last edited by gunnare; 10th January 2015 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear

I don't mind MS20 mini keys, they're pretty nice to play for me for a mono synth. The problem with a synth that comes with mini keys is normally that they're trying to cut the cost so the synth as a whole feels cheap (mini jacks, wobbly pots etc), if it was a case of making something portable that'd be different, super solidly built but easily fits in a bag because of small size/mini keys, that'd be a different story.

Saying that I haven't played my MS20 mini in a while and doing so just now they did seem a bit small, so it's whatever you get used to really.
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear

Compactness! They fit bedrooms, busy desks, crowded tabletops, laps, and backpacks. Like right now if I wanted to fit a synth with keys in my bedroom, it would have to be a mini unless I do some serious shufflin'

Manufacturer's just try to answer current needs, tight and portable being in vogue these days. My advice to anyone who wants more standard keys is to buy as many as you can 'cause money speaks, even if you don't have the space

And just for giggles sake, in the current uproar against minikeys, I found this random video pretty funny (although not particularly good sounding (obnoxious A4 beat) ):

Those EVIL minikeys can't even stand horizontally! heh
Old 10th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Some seem to think that preferring one is the same as hating the other, and not being able to see any redeeming capacities with that other.
This is simply not true.

That said, I prefer a module over a thing with mini keys, as I'd choose am additional full size MIDI keyboard at any rate. Like many others on GS, I'm a classical musician, and have been trained with full size boards.
Have no wish for adapting to mini keys, even when I have in fact adapted to them before.
Old 10th January 2015
i need fullsize, minikey and modules... but i'm not gonna defend fullsize or module cuz no-one has a problem with those...
  • minikeys allow lots of gear in a small area... that's beautiful
  • it's more portable
  • they are cheaper
  • they have MIDI... so it can be controlled remotely via sequencer or keyboard
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear

no keys. pads or buttons. mini keys are okay, mc202 is better.

the important thing for me is not to get in the way while interacting with the synth interface and allow me a audition the sound quickly. in that style, i like a4 a lot and radias module is decent. full size keys paired with a perfunctory synth parameter interface is more of a problem and all too common.

really it depends on the synth. interface should be tailored to it. imo keys are usually not the right choice and seem lazy to me. keys are okay on organs, but then you have pedals and drawbars too... if you don't have velocity and have it easily mappable to parameters (and probably aftertouch too), in my book, don't even bother.

if you have full size keys without a latch button, arp, sequencer that's easy and quick to change, so i can focus on making the sound, you're wasting my time and the keys are a minus for me.

if you can actually play keys the action matters as much as the size imo. of all the synths i have with keyboards i only rate 2 of them as good. the majority of the rest are either a waste of space + nothing new, a few are bad, but sometimes bad is interesting.

but yeah im more of a "composer". i either like: consistent interface, and remap / multi map to synths or novel interface or one that doesn't get in the way of using it with something better. i really don't need the 514+ keys between synths, at least the smaller ones take up less space.

i prefer that synths are designed with the playing interface in mind and that it's kept modular, so if it's genuinely good it's easy to use with other stuff too.
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear

Under 300 bucks, fine. Above that, I expect full-size.
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear

The only mini keys I ever liked were the ones on the KORG Microstation. That was great pick up rompler. That and a KORG Micro Arranger would be a great one man band rig for portable gigging.
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear

why not both?
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear

(3) It doesn't matter to some people

I can play my microbrute and my hammer action Doepfer build equally well for their different purposes. Mini keys on mono synths where you're only doing bass lines and leads hardly matter unless you're a chunky fingered brute.

I think some of those wanting full size keys are maybe not understanding that the rest of the instrument has to scale up to accommodate them, and that will raise the price with all that extra material. And people DO like bitching about price, too.

All I want is a polyphonic analogue synth with 88 full sized keys, but is somehow only 12" wide and costs just $99. That's all I want. Deal breaker if not.

What about larger keys, fewer octaves?
Old 10th January 2015
Gear Addict

What do you prefer tall girls or short girls? Ok, depends of the overall look. If a girl is beautiful and intelligent who cares if she is tall or not? Respectively, why do you care about the size of the keys? The total quality of the unit, the features and the sound doesn't matter to you? Personally, i do like the full size piano style semi - weighted keys, but at the same time i don't have problem with the mini keys, actually i like them if they are well designed like the keys from the Microkorg XL, for instance…
Old 10th January 2015
Deleted b788fee
No keys ... More desktop units please ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search