The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Minikeys or Fullsize keys. What say you?
View Poll Results: Minikeys or Fullsized keys. What say you?
(1) Minikeys
21 Votes - 13.73%
(2) Fullsized keys
132 Votes - 86.27%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecaruption View Post
I guess if you can't do Uber that makes sense. Good thing you don't play drums mate!
This is why most venues have a house kit and backline. There's no guarantee an Uber will take you either if you want to take **** loads of gear or anything large & heavy. If your gear fits into an average boot you're all good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrumidi View Post
An used van isn't a luxury item lol. If you can afford a couple synths you can afford an used van. There are cheap cars too you don't need a Mercedes Maybach
Still got to pay for insurance, tax, have somewhere to park it, as well as pay for that, there are charges for driving in certain parts of London as well. Could easily pay for some high end synths with what you actually pay in reality. Not to forget it is the slowest way to get around!
I know London based bands who are relatively successful & tour a lot who don't even bother with owning one.

Hitting the gym is a stupid suggestion as well as that doesn't remotely train you for carrying about large bulky gear that isn't designed to be carried around. I get the impression you've never gigged.
Old 1 week ago
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrumidi View Post
An used van isn't a luxury item lol. If you can afford a couple synths you can afford an used van. There are cheap cars too you don't need a Mercedes Maybach
No, you've got it the wrong way round!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I dont understand the fuzz. It’s not either / or. The people who hate minikeys to the point that some are even judgmental about those who dont have plenty of full-size, or almost full-size (yamaha) options to choose from (although I repeat my point I want more 73 piano key synths.. not just big 88 key bricks)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone View Post
There are distinctions between piano skills, organ skills, accordion skills, mini-key synth skills. There are different techniques to leverage the benefits and disadvantages of each technology. With mini-keys, one hand easily can stretch much further than an octave. They make different voicings and riffs more easily and likely to be played, and other ones nigh impossible. You can roll multiple notes easier on leads, because of small light keys that don't travel much. Often, one hand plays the keys while the other tweaks the knobs. "Keying an arp or sequencer line one finger at a time while twisting knobs and messing with a drum machine" is definitely in the mini-key lexicon. You wouldn't do that on a piano, and most people wouldn't choose a mini-key synth to play Chopin. It's fun to compare, knowing they're made for separate playing styles and goals.
THIS.

so, my answer to full-sized keys vs mini-keys dilemma is: pads/grid.
like Launchpad Pro, Novation Circuit, etc.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaocrator View Post
THIS.

so, my answer to full-sized keys vs mini-keys dilemma is: pads/grid.
like Launchpad Pro, Novation Circuit, etc.
Agreed, nobody who has put in many years of work honing piano/keyboard skills would prefer mini keys to normal size keys. But if you really just want a portable midi controller to trigger samples/sequences, and portability is paramount, then getting pads/grid like Launchpad is the way to go. Slip it in your backpack and away you go, like the guy on this thread who walks his gear around London to gigs.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecaruption View Post
Agreed, nobody who has put in many years of work honing piano/keyboard skills would prefer mini keys to normal size keys. But if you really just want a portable midi controller to trigger samples/sequences, and portability is paramount, then getting pads/grid like Launchpad is the way to go. Slip it in your backpack and away you go, like the guy on this thread who walks his gear around London to gigs.
exactly. you got it
in modern world, portability is very important factor.
and with such things as LP Pro, i even don't have plans to learn playing piano style keys — i'm quite happy with finger drumming techniques, playing riffs with them is just a matter of layout.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search