The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Minikeys or Fullsize keys. What say you?
View Poll Results: Minikeys or Fullsized keys. What say you?
(1) Minikeys
21 Votes - 13.55%
(2) Fullsized keys
134 Votes - 86.45%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25th March 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
I like yamaha reface mini keys a lot. The rest I can't play - it's more like pushing keyboard shaped buttons.
Accordions have mini-keys, and some folks are wild on that instrument.
It's not about size, it's about speed, it's about finger length. Most mini-keys my fingers go past the end of the keys, unless I play like I have gnarled old claws for hands.
I agree. My Reface DX keys are a joy to play. The quality of the keybed really adds to the experience. They’re more comfortable than the slim keys on my Minilogue XD, which are not bad by any means.
Old 25th March 2020
Gear Maniac

Most of the guys who are into modules can't make anything decent, they just let the arpeggiator play some random crap while turning a few knobs here and there pretending to know what they're doing while trying to impress their friends. Its funny when they say they have no space in their studio for a keyboard and when you see their so called studio its just a desk with a few modules. An another reason why they don't want keyboards is when they have one they realize how they lack the skill and talent to play anything decent on a keyboard. I prefer synths with 61 keys. Lol at the people who say they have little hands, that's completely bullshyte. There are so many young kids playing on a real piano.

Mini keys are a joke, the reface series suck. Compare those keybeds to the ones used in a DX7. Learn to play the keyboard and you might produce something nice instead of those electric farts. Just my 2 cents.
Old 25th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviljho View Post
I agree. My Reface DX keys are a joy to play. The quality of the keybed really adds to the experience. They’re more comfortable than the slim keys on my Minilogue XD, which are not bad by any means.
The XD was my first choice of logue, but I've had so many poor korg minikeybed's; XL+, microstation, microkeyair, ms-20mini, I rather go least expensive with the module. Loved it so much I traded up.

Those and four sets of roland boutique minikeys, and a jdxi - the WORST!

And a mininova.

The reface's are THE best. If I could retro fit them all with that keybed...
Old 25th March 2020
Lives for gear

I'd go for no keys every time unless the module version is gimped in some way and lacks all the controls the keyed version has... wish I had an MKS-50 rather an Alpha Juno-1, and maybe am MKS-30 over my JX-3P (but the 3P has the better filter and does not have the voice failing issue). One good master keyboard is all you need... more synths with keys just take up space...
Old 25th March 2020
Lives for gear

Old 25th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Please help?
With corona i cannot to to the store and try out these two to decide so which one is best?

Korg Microkey 2 vs Midiplus X6 mini!
I just got the Midiplus X4 and the minikeys are pretty good and I usually hate mini keys. Definitely feel better than AKAI or Launchkey minis. Not too far off from a Keystep. Worth it.
Old 25th March 2020
Lives for gear

I don't mind slim keys or short keys, but mini keys are... a last choice... I come from a piano background, so I prefer full size keys despite my smaller hands that can only reach the octave.
Old 25th March 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrumidi View Post
Most of the guys who are into modules can't make anything decent, they just let the arpeggiator play some random crap while turning a few knobs here and there pretending to know what they're doing while trying to impress their friends. Its funny when they say they have no space in their studio for a keyboard and when you see their so called studio its just a desk with a few modules. An another reason why they don't want keyboards is when they have one they realize how they lack the skill and talent to play anything decent on a keyboard. I prefer synths with 61 keys. Lol at the people who say they have little hands, that's completely bullshyte. There are so many young kids playing on a real piano.

Mini keys are a joke, the reface series suck. Compare those keybeds to the ones used in a DX7. Learn to play the keyboard and you might produce something nice instead of those electric farts. Just my 2 cents.
A little bit harsh, but sorry, this is the hard truth for those who cannot play and have no musical knowledge. But one has to consider that they can learn it and start with something simple.

I would also like to add that there are people who have musical knowledge whatever style it may be, who cannot play properly, but can make good music.

So, it depends.

best regards
Old 25th March 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviljho View Post
The reface keys are of higher quality than the Korg slim keys, but I prefer playing on the slim keys. The reface keys are just too small.
Old 25th March 2020
Gear Nut

Only used two mini keys synths.

JDXI - pretty damn bad, only just serviceable.

Minilogue - surprisingly good, definitely acceptable.
Old 25th March 2020
Lives for gear

73 key piano 22mm width weighted keys, balanced (ie not graded!), tripple sensor, with poly AT with the pitch / modwheel above the keybed.

So Basically a Yamaha CP73 form factor but with a somewhat better quality keybed.

I strongly prefer piano weighted keys but NOT 88 keys and definitely not widened even further by the pitch / modwheel.

Also not a fan of Yamaha 21mm non-standard width synth / organ keybeds (luckily not used in their pianos..), but they will probably never change that. It’s a reason for me not to buy yamaha synths with ‘full size’ Synth keybeds, ie typically their 61 and 76 keybeds. I find it ridiculous we dont see more synths with 61 or 73 weighted piano keys as ab option, it’s always restricted to a big 88 key tank with pitch / modwheel on the side. Takes up way too much space.

I have 3 of the 4 reface series, and the mini keys are ok on the couch or mobile, but not for a proper playing experience.
Old 25th March 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidDisco View Post
73 key piano 22mm width weighted keys, balanced (ie not graded!), tripple sensor, with poly AT with the pitch / modwheel above the keybed.
I agree. This would also be my favorite.

Wonder why the manufacturers don't make more 76/73 keyboards/synths.
For modern music you seldom need 88 keys and 61 is a little bit too less for general purpose.
Old 25th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behrmoog View Post

For modern music you seldom need 88 keys and 61 is a little bit to less for general purpose.
No idea. Conventionalism, forced segmentation? Really annoying. I hope Uli Behringer reads this and considers a 73 balanced piano weighted keybed for the BS80. And I strongly suspect Yamaha is working on a new CS VA synth styled like the CP73 and YC61, so I hope they also consider such a 73 key balanced piano keybed.
Old 25th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

For modern music you seldom need 88 keys and 61 is a little bit too less for general purpose.
There could also be an argument made for E-E, or F-F 61-key keybeds, though most keybed frames are bound to a specific layout of black / white keys, so the overwhelming wave of convention (and manufacturing efficiency) applies here. On the other hand, the unified "overlay" keysets on cheaper keybeds (Yamaha MODX / MX-Series, Korg 87%, most minikeys) don't generally suffer from that constraint.
Old 25th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidDisco View Post
I have 3 of the 4 reface series, and the mini keys are ok on the couch or mobile, but not for a proper playing experience.
They're very light, and I have to adjust accordingly. Not nearly the same as a full-size, but heads above any other minikey I've tried/owned.
Old 25th March 2020
Gear Maniac

Mini keys are for those with baby hands, some people just have tiny baby hands and that's ok. They're also for those with baby keyboard skills, i.e. no background or skill in piano playing or musicianship. Manufacturers don't create mini keys because they think professionals want them, they do it to offer a product at a low price point for beginners/amateurs. They cut corners to save cost, you gotta cut cost somewhere and baby keys are cheaper to make.
Old 25th March 2020
Gear Nut

I can play both full and mini keys. But naturally a good action helps.
The old mid 80's Casio CZ-101 has a decent action as does the Korg MicroStation.
Here is a vid I made showing you can go wild on mini keys too.
Old 25th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Rider View Post
The old mid 80's Casio CZ-101 has a decent action as does the Korg MicroStation.
The CZ was my first mini-keys in the 80's, I had that cheap Korg EX-600? And an RK-100? So cheap. I took the RK-100 keyboard out on the key-tar and made a case for it with the EX-800 bolted in. No pictures. But it was pine-tastic.
Old 25th March 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Rider View Post
Very well done.
You're not just playing F minor pentatonic, which works well for mini keys.
You also play E minor pentatonic (with blue notes) which is more difficult.

The main problem is "thumb under / finger over".
This important technique cannot be played well on mini keys (in my opinion).

And also 4 note chords with black keys are problematic.

best regards
Old 25th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecaruption View Post
Mini keys are for those with baby hands, some people just have tiny baby hands and that's ok. They're also for those with baby keyboard skills, i.e. no background or skill in piano playing or musicianship. Manufacturers don't create mini keys because they think professionals want them, they do it to offer a product at a low price point for beginners/amateurs. They cut corners to save cost, you gotta cut cost somewhere and baby keys are cheaper to make.

Nice trollpost, especially considering how I was clear about my preference for full size 22mm piano width and weighted keys. The reface series have their place, and it’s not intended as a fullsized key playing experience, but fine in their own right. It’s not as if there’s a shortage of fullsized key device (except I want to see more 73 piano Weighted keys on synths). No need to go around with baby words. Grow up.

Btw do you consider Nahre Sol as someone with baby pianist skills?
Old 25th March 2020
Lives for gear

Any decent musician will be able to play anything put in front of them.

So all the troll posts here are just amateur musicians overcompensating for their lack of real skills.

If you're a pianist, even full size keys on any synth are kind of ****ty as its a totally difficult feel to a real piano. Yet real players get on with it and embrace these instruments for what they are.

I own different guitars with different scale lengths, string gauges and action and can easily pick and play any of them. Same with keyboards.
Old 25th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 View Post
So, I found a sousaphone and just picked it right up and started playing it. Right?

I'm not physically incapable of playing all variations of mini-key. I just think that the many of the mini-key beds I own action stink. Reface has a good mini-key, and I enjoy playing them.
Old 25th March 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 View Post
I would like to see you playing a Beethoven Sonata (you can choose) or part of on mini keys.
Old 25th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would like to see you playing a Beethoven Sonata (you can choose) or part of on mini keys.
I want to hear the flight of the Bumble bee played on a cz-101.
Old 25th March 2020
Gear Maniac

Got to love the passionate defenders of mini keys! Whatever you think about them, it's undeniable that manufacturers only use mini keys when they want to cut corners to get in at a cheap price point. It's not like professional musicians are demanding mini keys. I used to have a casiotone with mini keys, nuff said.
Old 25th March 2020
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Very well done.
You're not just playing F minor pentatonic, which works well for mini keys.
You also play E minor pentatonic (with blue notes) which is more difficult.

The main problem is "thumb under / finger over".
This important technique cannot be played well on mini keys (in my opinion).

And also 4 note chords with black keys are problematic.

best regards
yep, there are some scales/figures/patterns that are hard on minikeys. Definitely not a general performance controller. I always avoided this,
also because it never felt right for me. Besides moving from FS to minikeys may be confusing as you move from one keyboard to the next. There are people who play them with dexterity, but it feels to me that it needs a lot of effort for someone who have been playing piano all their life.
Old 25th March 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
A little bit harsh, but sorry, this is the hard truth for those who cannot play and have no musical knowledge. But one has to consider that they can learn it and start with something simple.

I would also like to add that there are people who have musical knowledge whatever style it may be, who cannot play properly, but can make good music.

So, it depends.

best regards
The demo song of the Behringer System 100m was a great piece of music, they nailed it. The reason why these kids don't advance is because they're ignorant to accept the fact that their music isn't exactly music. Especially those on social media who upload their song and ask for feedback, if you give them negative feedback they to nuts. IMHO you should never give people false feedback because on the longterm that's going to feed their ego and once someone shows them or tells them the opposite their entire fantasy world they created collapses.

Its getting ridiculous out of control, kids trying to make 80s music while their crap doesn't sound 80s but more like some stupid EDM while abusing automation something that wasn't even possible with those sequencers from the 80s. I realized how stupid this crap is when I realized that many of these so called producers think its cool to use 100 channels on one track, yet an another thing that wasn't even possible back then. Most sequencers from the 80s had 4-8 tracks later models did have 16 tracks. Still its funny when people reject feedback and only accept the crap they wanna hear yet they expect to improve.
Old 25th March 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecaruption View Post
Got to love the passionate defenders of mini keys! Whatever you think about them, it's undeniable that manufacturers only use mini keys when they want to cut corners to get in at a cheap price point. It's not like professional musicians are demanding mini keys. I used to have a casiotone with mini keys, nuff said.
Or when they claim "I don't have space for a keyboard" yeah right as if you know how to play the instrument. 61 keys for the win! I love the FATAR keybed of the Blofeld, Yamaha DX7ii has a great keybed too, from what I had found out on the internet the DX7ii used a FATAR keybed too.

I havent bought the little Casio instead I got its big brother the CZ1.
Old 25th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrumidi View Post
I havent bought the little Casio instead I got its big brother the CZ1.
I had the 101, then the 1000, then a VZ-10m. AT was a nice touch for voicing that synth.
Old 25th March 2020
vlz
Lives for gear

The first synth I played for some amount of time was a CZ1000 belonging to the drummer of a band I was in. He wanted to learn keyboards and got it. I had no money so I used it in our rehearsals (moving from my upright piano). Later I got an electromechanical piano, a wurly copy.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search