The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro Tools ? Logic ? Live ? FL Studio ? Cubasis ?
Old 10th January 2015 | Show parent
  #61
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
When I chose my first DAW, I picked Cubase. Not because it was the best, or the most efficient, or because it could do something other DAWs couldn't - no, it was because my friend was using it. I chose it because he could get me up to speed in a few afternoons and we could discuss technique and learn from eachother.

DAWs converge in terms of features. All of them will have timestretching on audiotracks for instance, and those that do not have to catch up to name something. The only kinds of features that will lag are the exotic ones like what Max4Live does because that would mean other DAW builders would need a deal with Cycling '74. So, pick something that "thinks" like you (if after consulting the manual it still seems awkward/convoluted to do something that you expect to work more naturally - that's a good sign of you not gelling with the interface).

A lot of production speed can be achieved by setting up templates and learning the hotkeys. Organization in your project folder and assets/samples is important. That is the place you can gain the most in daily operation.
So true all what you say.
Just a little explanation please, what do you mean exactly here "Organization in your project folder and assets/samples is important"...?" my english is bad and im very interested to understand "
Old 10th January 2015 | Show parent
  #62
Gear Maniac
 

Ok here is my DREAMING DAW components: (DAW designers this is golden lines time 4U 43 !!)

DREAMED DAW ? WORKFLOW,CREATIVITY & GENIUS

- APPLE Z undo function which undo EVERYTHYNG even plug in add or tracks or what ever...
- Tab To Transient easy to handle to edit audio like Pro Tools to remix the structure of a track easily 4 example.
- auto beatsync every loops to the session tempo abiliies
- smart browser, smartfolders super easy to use ; beatsync function ofc but ideal would be to be able to see in one click with few tags like on apple loops " relax, intense tag.." for example all you funky bass loops all gathered in ONE folder even with all your VI dark bass patch and presets all in the same folder/line/menu like bitwig do ?...
- avoiding time waste in routing like presonus seems to propose
- beautiful/pro interface, which is the reason i have problem with Live
- Super EZ audio groove extraction and apply like presonus seems to have or Logic with groove track.
- Super EZ midi extraction and apply like presonus......
- ability to take any audio on a track and directly monitor a new loop instead ONLY by scrolingl with the mouse wheel into our bankloops like FL Studio seems to propose ?
- block menu from reason i think, which could be usefull to accelerate arrangment process
- Live session menu ability to create song/ clip arrangment and copy directly all the arrangment in the arrangment window in a click like Live.
- object concept to assign FX not on all the track but on the audio file itself like.... presonus seems to do and maschine..
- EZ TCE tool to fit audio to tempo/grid for example in a click like on Pro Tools
- Freeze fucntion like......... (Presonus !!!!! again ?)
- music loops function by ? .............. (no again ?)
- last but not least, a DAW you can turn on in light year speed !! So FKN important actually !!!!... ( at least 4me)

So guys ? Which one is for me ? .................................

(In any case i need to try Live session concept then to dig FL Studio which is the most creative and genius i feel then maybe........ a DAW called i think....... Studio One !!!! His interface design looks ugly though with names on tracks way too small which is a super huge problem for me)
Old 11th January 2015 | Show parent
  #63
Gear Maniac
 

I just realize theres something which prevents me to use 2 DAWs in my process;

The reason is as long as im composing and arranging my song i mix it pretty accurately in terms of volume,eq, comp... So when i finished the song, my song is often lets say half mixed as weird as it sounds...

So as far as i can imagine, i dont see myself migrate to the second DAW....

Am i the only one to process like that BTW ?
Old 11th January 2015 | Show parent
  #64
Gear Addict
 
Yumid's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Other Guy View Post
I have used and still use a lot of different DAWs, so I'll give my input:

1. Pro tools - least favorite for me, because of stability, RTAS (no VST), MIDI is very basic.

.
This couldn't be further from the truth and your basing it off information that is like 5 years old. Its amazing how long it takes for a rumour to die down lol.

Midi in pro tools is just as capable if not more capable than most other daws. You just need to know how to access it and use it. Pro Tools doesn't cater to noobs, you need to actually learn the DAW before you can do anything in it. ACTUALLY learn the daw, not watch some youtube videos.

I do everything in pro tools, but since no one else uses it, i watch all my production session videos in logic or ableton, etc..whatever the video creator uses. I have yet to find ANYTHING or see anything in any other daw that I can't do in pro tools. I know all the pro tools short cuts so I'm faster in it. It doesn't make sense for me to use anything else. Once you have your plugins that you use, all the DAW is is a blank piece of paper. They become what they are supposed to be, a workstation. Sure all the stock plugins that come with logic would be nice, but I dont need them. I have other stuff.

As far as compatibility, sure there are some plugins that aren't working for AAX (which is pro tools format in 11, not RTAs) but I have the fab filter total bundle and komplete ultimate 10 which DO work for AAX. I dont need anything past that. And If i did, I could find an AAX version of the plugin if i wanted to.
Old 11th January 2015 | Show parent
  #65
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumid View Post
This couldn't be further from the truth and your basing it off information that is like 5 years old. Its amazing how long it takes for a rumour to die down lol.

Midi in pro tools is just as capable if not more capable than most other daws. You just need to know how to access it and use it. Pro Tools doesn't cater to noobs, you need to actually learn the DAW before you can do anything in it. ACTUALLY learn the daw, not watch some youtube videos.

I do everything in pro tools, but since no one else uses it, i watch all my production session videos in logic or ableton, etc..whatever the video creator uses. I have yet to find ANYTHING or see anything in any other daw that I can't do in pro tools. I know all the pro tools short cuts so I'm faster in it. It doesn't make sense for me to use anything else. Once you have your plugins that you use, all the DAW is is a blank piece of paper. They become what they are supposed to be, a workstation. Sure all the stock plugins that come with logic would be nice, but I dont need them. I have other stuff.

As far as compatibility, sure there are some plugins that aren't working for AAX (which is pro tools format in 11, not RTAs) but I have the fab filter total bundle and komplete ultimate 10 which DO work for AAX. I dont need anything past that. And If i did, I could find an AAX version of the plugin if i wanted to.
Noob? I've been using pro tools since 2006. I'm on 10 now. You using pt for full blown production are in the minority. Midi is limited in pro tools. Compare it to Ableton. Come on bro let's be serious. Where's the ARP? Where's the chords? Sequencer? Pattern generator? Dude you're nuts.
Old 11th January 2015 | Show parent
  #66
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Other Guy View Post
Noob? I've been using pro tools since 2006. I'm on 10 now. You using pt for full blown production are in the minority. Midi is limited in pro tools. Compare it to Ableton. Come on bro let's be serious. Where's the ARP? Where's the chords? Sequencer? Pattern generator? Dude you're nuts.
Sorry but what the ARP please ?

Oh and can someone can tell me which DAW have UNDO function for ALL operations please ?

edit; you prolly means arpegiator ofc my bad...

Last edited by sam shew; 11th January 2015 at 08:54 AM..
Old 11th January 2015 | Show parent
  #67
Gear Addict
 
Yumid's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Other Guy View Post
Noob? I've been using pro tools since 2006. I'm on 10 now. You using pt for full blown production are in the minority. Midi is limited in pro tools. Compare it to Ableton. Come on bro let's be serious. Where's the ARP? Where's the chords? Sequencer? Pattern generator? Dude you're nuts.
Oh. My. God. Thats what your talking about?! The ability to use ARPS, chord makers and pattern generators? Thats ridiculous, even if I had them I wouldn't use them. I prefer to voice my own chords and arps thanks.

I was talking about general midi capabilities and what you can do..not the cheap plugins that let you skip out on programming your own arps or chords. And even if i wanted to, I can do that in my plugins.

Im not arguing pro tools vs others out of the box. Im talking about its capabilities as a daw, not the ridiculous plugins that come with it that convinces noobs they dont need to learn music theory. I wouldn't use those plugins if i had them. Even with that being said, you can still do it in pro tools. You just actually need to know how to do it in regards to theory rather than hitting a button. Like doing anything in pro tools. If you actually know what your doing you dont need the shortcuts other daws have built in.

And i wasnt calling u a noob, I'm saying pro tools isn't catered to noobs. Which I like. I had no idea when you were talking about midi capabilities that you were talking about those pathetic midi effects that come with ableton haha. I was talking about being able to do something(midi editors, real time properties, etc..), assuming the programmer isn't uneducated and actually thinks like an engineer rather than someone browsing youtube.
Old 11th January 2015 | Show parent
  #68
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumid View Post
Oh. My. God. Thats what your talking about?! The ability to use ARPS, chord makers and pattern generators? Thats ridiculous, even if I had them I wouldn't use them. I prefer to voice my own chords and arps thanks.

I was talking about general midi capabilities and what you can do..not the cheap plugins that let you skip out on programming your own arps or chords. And even if i wanted to, I can do that in my plugins.

Im not arguing pro tools vs others out of the box. Im talking about its capabilities as a daw, not the ridiculous plugins that come with it that convinces noobs they dont need to learn music theory. I wouldn't use those plugins if i had them. Even with that being said, you can still do it in pro tools. You just actually need to know how to do it in regards to theory rather than hitting a button. Like doing anything in pro tools. If you actually know what your doing you dont need the shortcuts other daws have built in.

And i wasnt calling u a noob, I'm saying pro tools isn't catered to noobs. Which I like. I had no idea when you were talking about midi capabilities that you were talking about those pathetic midi effects that come with ableton haha. I was talking about being able to do something, assuming the programmer isn't uneducated and actually thinks like an engineer rather than someone browsing youtube.
What other MIDI capabilities were you talking about? Being able to move notes, quantization? Yeah Pro tools can do that pretty well.

You don't use those features I mentioned because you don't have them to use and you want to believe that you don't need them because your music theory will cover it for you. Well, you're wrong.
Old 12th January 2015 | Show parent
  #69
Gear Addict
 
Yumid's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Other Guy View Post
What other MIDI capabilities were you talking about? Being able to move notes, quantization? Yeah Pro tools can do that pretty well.

You don't use those features I mentioned because you don't have them to use and you want to believe that you don't need them because your music theory will cover it for you. Well, you're wrong.

Lol I have ableton. And Reason. Got me both cheap with my student discount. They both sit there collecting dust. Id throw em back in the box of fruit loops if I could. Ive tried liking ableton, I can't. Feel so cramped working in there. And I can't think of any scenario where I would ever reach for a plugin to make my arps or chords for me.
Old 12th January 2015 | Show parent
  #70
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumid View Post
Lol I have ableton. And Reason. Got me both cheap with my student discount. They both sit there collecting dust. Id throw em back in the box of fruit loops if I could. Ive tried liking ableton, I can't. Feel so cramped working in there. And I can't think of any scenario where I would ever reach for a plugin to make my arps or chords for me.
That's your choice. There are options in ableton and reason that can get you a sound you have never even thought existed. You might be able to play some arpeggios, but when they are complex, fast, and change quickly, it's a lot harder to do. I actually have pt11 on order now, so I will see how it is for production. In past versions, the plugins still ran in 32 bit mode even if you were running pro tools in 64. Also, the maximum ram allocation was 3 gigs. I like pro tools for certain types of productions that aren't too sample-based or experimental. Ableton gives you tools that allow you to go with music where you never thought you would go. It doesnt always mean it's good, but there's a possibility.
Old 12th January 2015 | Show parent
  #71
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumid View Post
This couldn't be further from the truth and your basing it off information that is like 5 years old. Its amazing how long it takes for a rumour to die down lol.

Midi in pro tools is just as capable if not more capable than most other daws. You just need to know how to access it and use it. Pro Tools doesn't cater to noobs, you need to actually learn the DAW before you can do anything in it. ACTUALLY learn the daw, not watch some youtube videos.

I do everything in pro tools, but since no one else uses it, i watch all my production session videos in logic or ableton, etc..whatever the video creator uses. I have yet to find ANYTHING or see anything in any other daw that I can't do in pro tools. I know all the pro tools short cuts so I'm faster in it. It doesn't make sense for me to use anything else. Once you have your plugins that you use, all the DAW is is a blank piece of paper. They become what they are supposed to be, a workstation. Sure all the stock plugins that come with logic would be nice, but I dont need them. I have other stuff.

As far as compatibility, sure there are some plugins that aren't working for AAX (which is pro tools format in 11, not RTAs) but I have the fab filter total bundle and komplete ultimate 10 which DO work for AAX. I dont need anything past that. And If i did, I could find an AAX version of the plugin if i wanted to.

BTW did you ever tried and succeed to use pathetic so called Workspace in Pro Tools to browse and auditionning loops in your loopbank in same tempo than session and IN CYCLE/LOOP PLAYBACK MODE ?

Coz here, i tried but when loop sync is ok with session, the playback stop something like a quarter of a second between each pass of the loop ...? So did you ever reach to the easyness and efficiency Logic apple loops browser sync offer for example ?
Old 12th January 2015 | Show parent
  #72
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Other Guy View Post
That's your choice. There are options in ableton and reason that can get you a sound you have never even thought existed. You might be able to play some arpeggios, but when they are complex, fast, and change quickly, it's a lot harder to do. I actually have pt11 on order now, so I will see how it is for production. In past versions, the plugins still ran in 32 bit mode even if you were running pro tools in 64. Also, the maximum ram allocation was 3 gigs. I like pro tools for certain types of productions that aren't too sample-based or experimental. Ableton gives you tools that allow you to go with music where you never thought you would go. It doesnt always mean it's good, but there's a possibility.
Would be so cool to see some video or sound example about how AbletON can create this extra creative process im looking for !!

And can anyone tell me which is the DAW who open fastest ?? (considering we open the same standard session with same amount of plug in etc... this little specific is so important to me actually coz sometimes with pro tools for example, it is so long to open the app that very often i give up and dont even open it and switch on something else as stupid as it sounds...)
Old 12th January 2015 | Show parent
  #73
sam shew please use multiquote (button next to quote) when replying to several people at once. thanks!
Old 12th January 2015 | Show parent
  #74
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
sam shew please use multiquote (button next to quote) when replying to several people at once. thanks!
LoL ok i'll do if this can make your life a better experience !
Old 12th January 2015 | Show parent
  #75
Gear Addict
 
Yumid's Avatar
 

Ive never had a problem with elastic audio in the workplace, or anything in the workplace browser. Never really had a problem, I dont even really crash it. Its kind of weird actually, the only one who doesn't crash pro tools haha
Old 12th January 2015
  #76
it's an impossible question, but I recently transitioned away as a long-term Cubase user, to try Reaper. Initially I found it difficult, Reaper is incredibly flexible in terms of tracks and routing. I'd partly tried it before but given up, as it can be off-putting to get over that learning hurdle on something new. But now I'm kind of used to it.

I don't miss the upgrade expense or the crippling copy protection methods. Reaper seems to be being developed very rapidly, updates all the time. I also tried ableton, I can see how some would love it, alas it wasn't quite for me. There are a few cubase things I miss in Reaper, but there's usually other ways to get around these things, so long as you've all the basics in place. Can spend the spare money on more instruments or vsts

I'll happily use any DAW but unless expense is no object, finding one you can use that is cost effective isn't a bad start. One amazing thing about Reaper is that it is so lightweight, compared to Cubase it's like an F1 car vs. a minibus.
Old 12th January 2015 | Show parent
  #77
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam shew View Post
LoL ok i'll do if this can make your life a better experience !
It's ok to have two posts back to back. But piling things up clutters the thread.
Old 12th January 2015 | Show parent
  #78
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumid View Post
Ive never had a problem with elastic audio in the workplace, or anything in the workplace browser. Never really had a problem, I dont even really crash it. Its kind of weird actually, the only one who doesn't crash pro tools haha
Lets say you select a range of 4 bar in your audio arrangmment in pro tool, then you want to audition IN LOOP PLAYBACK MODE ACTIVATED in workspace some loops which have been recorded on 2 bars only, you dont have this little pause/ stop between pass ????

Because i do here.....
Old 13th January 2015
  #79
Gear Maniac
 

LoL so i tried every DAW lately but the only demo DAW i cant make a single sound from is.... Bitwig !!
You install, open it and no sound comes from if you dont dig the guide... weird... Look very complicated software to be honest....
For now, the funniest and most creative i tested is by far FL STUDIO guys !
Old 13th January 2015 | Show parent
  #80
Lives for gear
 
synthguy's Avatar
Dude, if you want to type more, you can edit your first post.

Anyhow, it shouldn't surprise me that Ableton and Reason are high on people's lists around here. That Pro Tools is too is intriguing. But I have to wonder about this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Other Guy View Post
There are options in ableton and reason that can get you a sound you have never even thought existed.
What do you mean by "sounds"? Generated melodies or motifs? ARPs? I'm curious. *goes to find YT examples*

Edit: kinda neat utilitoy, don't need it.

Last edited by synthguy; 13th January 2015 at 06:27 PM..
Old 14th January 2015 | Show parent
  #81
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy View Post
Dude, if you want to type more, you can edit your first post.

Anyhow, it shouldn't surprise me that Ableton and Reason are high on people's lists around here. That Pro Tools is too is intriguing. But I have to wonder about this:


What do you mean by "sounds"? Generated melodies or motifs? ARPs? I'm curious. *goes to find YT examples*

Edit: kinda neat utilitoy, don't need it.
Im interested too.

(I tried to edit each time i can now but sometimes its too late, and option is deactivate..)
Old 14th January 2015
  #82
Lives for gear
 
synthguy's Avatar
Awrightie, sorry for sounding bossy. Too many people don't even bother to try to edit.

I just spent much of my day yesterday - home sick with pneumonia - watching a bunch of YouTube tutorials of Logic Pro X from a very knowledgeable guy. If you want a good idea of what a DAW is capable of, look for YouTube entries with "MIX" listings with a number of videos in the series. These will give you a better idea of how different DAWs work in actual use and cover a bunch of their features. I'm gonna hunt down Pro Tools and Studio One next. Very curious of the new features in PT11.
Old 14th January 2015 | Show parent
  #83
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy View Post
What do you mean by "sounds"? Generated melodies or motifs? ARPs? I'm curious. *goes to find YT examples*
You can set up an effects rack and automate various parameters so one twist of a knob can control several parameters at once. This is really easy to do.

Any sound you create you can drag into Simpler and use as a new sound source which you can again run through effects.

You can quantize any kind of incoming waveform's detected transients and apply grooves.

It's not that it does something revolutionary other DAWs can't possibly do; it's that it makes it very simple to do this. Bitwig can do even more with its generators. By lowering that barrier, you're inviting more people to try to cross it and think out of the box.
Old 15th January 2015
  #84
Gear Maniac
 

So im about to give up to try anymore on Bitwig.
For some reasons im stucked in every areas of this DAW.
I watched tons of videos thinking i was missing something and that clip launcher concept should be such a new step but never find a mindblowing video about it, if you know a convincing one feel free...

Studio One should be my choice. Biggest problem being able to find a satisfying solution to transfer all my Pro Tools sessions into it... Which should be a challenge itself..
Old 28th January 2015
  #85
Gear Maniac
 

Guys,

Let me ask you again this stupid question;
I heard many guys says FL STUDIO had real drawbacks quiet often like a bad "quality sound"...
So once again, im not far to dive and to switch from Pro Tools to S1 or FL Studio.
Do you thinK guys, there could be a sound quality difference in the engine or whatever, between Pro Tools and Studio One for example and even FL STUDIO ?
Or do you think this quality drawback, is a bad interpretation from those FL STUDIO users ?
Old 28th January 2015 | Show parent
  #86
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam shew View Post
Oh and can someone can tell me which DAW have UNDO function for ALL operations please ?
Reason is the only one I think.
Old 13th February 2015
  #87
Here for the gear
 

I find myself in a similar quandary - I think I will give a serious look at BitWig.

Reaper as the basic DAW seems a stable choice?
Old 28th February 2015 | Show parent
  #88
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam shew View Post
Oh and can someone can tell me which DAW have UNDO function for ALL operations please ?
In Reaper you can undo everything incl. 3rd party vst plugin tweaks, adding/removing efx and tracks etc. You can also save your undo data with the project so that you can basicly undo everything from a finish track back to start. It might take up a few extra gigabytes of data though.

I believe there's even a setting in Reaper so that you can set multiple paths for the undo feature to take and then select only those steps you actually want to undo. It can allow you to get back to a previous state while still retaining the aspects you want (like added plugins etc).


Correct me if I'm wrong, but after 3 years of heavily use I have yet to find anything Reaper can't undo.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSphere View Post
I find myself in a similar quandary - I think I will give a serious look at BitWig.
Reaper as the basic DAW seems a stable choice?
My personal opinion (based on experience) is that Reaper is the most stable and resource effective DAW out there. I think it has a lot to do with their
copy protection. Or I should say the absence of any copy protection. Its cheap ($60 if your an amateur, 250ish if your a pro). It gives you free updates for 2 major upgrades (i.e Reaper 4.xx (current version) up to 6.xx) But of course you can use the fully working demo version for as long as you want.

Last edited by xenofil; 28th February 2015 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: Added info
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 295 views: 61403
Avatar for anguswoodhead
anguswoodhead 26th March 2013
replies: 1039 views: 140081
Avatar for Karloff70
Karloff70 5th January 2017
replies: 175 views: 26790
Avatar for Infa
Infa 10th April 2019
replies: 1296 views: 158953
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump