The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New casio groovebox?
Old 6th January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
EDIT: Oh wait, you can make your own patterns on it, still very interested.

I am still naming this the Casio Trapman.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 ➑️
I'm gonna put it on a thick gold chain and wear it around my neck with sunglasses that have the same color frames and a red sweatsuit.
To get the photoshoppers started:

Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ry10 ➑️
XW-DJ1 DJ Controller
Designed with a large 7-inch platter that provides the feel of an analog turntable, filter controls and cross fader, Casio's XW-DJ1 DJ Controller allows users to enjoy the popular 'scratching' DJ style when mixing and creating tracks. The XW-DJ1 is compatible with Algoriddim's djay2 apps for iTunes, which were chosen as an Apple Design Award winner. The XW-DJ1 integration with djay2 provides direct controls for cue points, tempo sync, effects, looping and more providing users a tactile experience for mixing and performing music. Users can also connect to Spotify, a leading commercial music streaming service, and mix along to their favorite songs. Additionally, the compact XW-DJ1 is extremely portable because it is battery-powered and offers a built-in-speaker for enjoyment anywhere, anytime.

XW-PD1 Groove Center
The XW-PD1 Groove Center is equipped with the sound engine from Casio's widely-popular XW series of synthesizers, which features preset patterns produced by professional beat makers that cover dance music genres like Trap and EDM. The XW-PD1 design includes 16 velocity-sensitive pads and 4 knobs for fast real-time music production.

The XW-PD1 features an outer ring containing 16 buttons, allowing the user to check the current rhythm pattern at a glance. Users can create powerful rhythms and phrases with the pads as well as apply DSP effects such as roll, filter, bit crusher, break, and pitch shifter. The XW-PD1 includes drum sounds for a variety of styles such as Hip Hop, Trap, and House. Since the XW-PD1 is equipped with a synthesizer engine and a variety of effects, it can manipulate various sounds. Pad tap sequences can also be recorded in real time. Moreover, sampled sounds from the mic or music player can easily be played on the pads.

The audio output of the XW-DJ1 can be connected to the audio input of the XW-PD1 so the two units can be used in tandem. This allows users to do live remix performances utilizing the unique capabilities of each product.

The XW-DJ1 DJ Controller will be available at select retailers nationwide beginning January 2015 for an MSRP of $299.00; and the XW-PD1 Groove Center will be available beginning March 2015 for an MSRP of $399.00. To learn more about the Trackformer series or Casio's full portfolio of electronic musical instruments, please visit Digital Pianos, Synthesizers, & Keyboards | Casio Music Gear.
Ha, just saw the press release too. I could give a **** about the DJ one, but other than that:

GOOD
  • Anything with an on board mic/sampling has fun potential built in
  • Despite all the eyeroll inducing talk of presets (oh boy, Trap AND Hip Hop styles, whatever that means!), it appears that there is a full synth engine in there somewhere.
  • Battery powered!
  • I dig pad sequencing! (esp 4x4 style)

LESS GOOD
  • No real clue if Casio's FX algorithms sound decent.
  • On board speakers? Sorta fun, sorta pointless.
  • Ok, there's a synth engine. But how exactly can you edit it using the controls on display in the image?
  • Not really into the stupid shape.
  • Probably taking a bit of a risk pricing it the same as the upcoming Electribe sampler - I'm not particularly enthused about the new generation of Electribes (though I loved my EMX-1 and ER), but theres quite a bit more history in that line; plus, they don't look like the milennium falcon.

Honestly, I'm feeling pretty meh - though again, it's not like I ever NEEDED another groovebox, so perhaps I'm jaded. BUT still interested in hearing how it sounds. Also, is it sort of petty of me to hope that it semi-fails and ends up getting blown out M-Audio Venom style? Cuz then I probably would buy one for sure... (I'm an asshole)
Deleted b788fee
Old 6th January 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
imgur: the simple image sharer

So.. aside from the smaller size, why wouldn't I just buy an XW-G1 on the used market?

Korg's EMX 2 will probably mop the floor with this thing.
Old 6th January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I smell a lawsuit from George Lucas (or whoever owns the rights now).

No word yet on DIN MIDI? All I see is USB support.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepLogik ➑️
I smell a lawsuit from George Lucas (or whoever owns the rights now).

if it goes to trial I suggest you let the wookie win...

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz ➑️
lol if Roland was making this, there would not be so many positive and happy responses...!!
True. This is a complete 180 in attitude from the 80s and early 90s.

Pete
Old 6th January 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I'll do my best to answer the questions here and clarify things here as much as possible between now and NAMM. I'm certain at NAMM you'll see some videos of what the XW-PD1 can really do and after the show I'll be doing some overview videos. Right now all of our prototype units are at CES so I can't shoot any video at this time.

To answer your question about comparing this to the XW-G1, they're quite different actually. The Step Sequencer itself on the XW-PD1 is 64 tracks. Basically you get a track for each pad and there are 4 selectable banks of 16 pads. The drum sounds are all new and different from the XW-G1 plus it has the ability to load in samples (similar to the XW-G1). The effects are also different from the XW-G1. You can assign effects (Stutter, Delays, Ring Mod, Filters and more) to Pads. The Pads can latch so the effect stays on until you hit it again or they can just function momentary. While an effect is engaged you can use the knobs to manipulate those effects in real-time. The XW-PD1 also processes incoming audio through those effects.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Martin ➑️
I'll do my best to answer the questions here and clarify things here as much as possible between now and NAMM. I'm certain at NAMM you'll see some videos of what the XW-PD1 can really do and after the show I'll be doing some overview videos. Right now all of our prototype units are at CES so I can't shoot any video at this time.

To answer your question about comparing this to the XW-G1, they're quite different actually. The Step Sequencer itself on the XW-PD1 is 64 tracks. Basically you get a track for each pad and there are 4 selectable banks of 16 pads. The drum sounds are all new and different from the XW-G1 plus it has the ability to load in samples (similar to the XW-G1). The effects are also different from the XW-G1. You can assign effects (Stutter, Delays, Ring Mod, Filters and more) to Pads. The Pads can latch so the effect stays on until you hit it again or they can just function momentary. While an effect is engaged you can use the knobs to manipulate those effects in real-time. The XW-PD1 also processes incoming audio through those effects.
Sweet. Can you use the sequencer to control outboard MIDI gear? Does it even have a MIDI output?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b788fee ➑️
Anyone else think it's shaped like the Millennium Falcon?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
[QUOTE=DJRAZZ;10697087]Anyone else think it's shaped like the Millennium Falcon?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 ➑️
True. This is a complete 180 in attitude from the 80s and early 90s.

Pete
I'm cool with that - love my Casios.

Actually I like the looks of this thing.

Mike, what can you tell us about the synthesizer engine?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu ➑️
Sweet. Can you use the sequencer to control outboard MIDI gear? Does it even have a MIDI output?
Yes it can be used as a controller although only for computers or iOS devices. It has USB MIDI only. Pads can be assigned MIDI CC numbers which like internal effects can be triggered or manipulated.

I haven't seen the editor yet, I'll have more information about its controller / MIDI (USB) capabilities soon.
Old 6th January 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
One other note - as mentioned above they have one at the CES show this week. I'm sure someone will get some video of it but the units they sent there do not have the final sounds or content in them. They'll sound completely different at NAMM in a couple weeks.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for answering questions.

Must say USB MIDI only just about kills it for me, but I'm still curious.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have to say this and other new groovebox offerings are making a strong case to spend more for the Analog Rytm. Just my .02.

Color me underwhelmed so far.

We'll see how it sounds.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Kind a nice to see another groovebox option as I'm in search for one. I too still think Elektron Rytm seems the best choice out there despite the lack of external sequencing, followed by emx2.

As of XW-PD1 - the design choice is indeed super odd! Are right-handed users supposed to see numeric display when changing parameter values with left hand or numeric display is just for style and device represents a synth engine and controller, but all editing is done via ios/PC?
Old 6th January 2015
Lives for gear

It's actually sad how the "all-in-one" groovebox has been slowly dying. I wish all four Volcas or both new Electribes, or all of the Elektron stuff would be in one box. I'd be way more interested. I'm not looking to add more cables and **** to an already complex setup. I want something that does it all in one box on my lap on the couch. I guess I just need to buy an iPad. And no, I'm not wanting to buy a Kronos. Just a nice well rounded (but square shaped) production machine. It's all little bits and bobs these days.
Old 6th January 2015
Lives for gear

Frankly I was hoping they would give us a totally oddball little PD drum machine type deal with the XW step sequencer. That would have been unique and may have proven to be a toe dip into the water to see how the world responds to woolly Phase Distortion mammoths in the wild again as an indicator as to whether or not to bring it back to life in earnest.
I'm sad they have tossed away their legacy like so many other manufactures have including their nemesis Yamaha.
It's like seeing a pair of sad old drunks shouting at each other in an alley because one pissed on the other's shoes.
Or like old horses who have to be put down.
Or like sick people in oxygen tents.
Or like when Han says Punch it and the Falcon just makes that grinding whining sound and continues listing lazily to the left while the Empire uses it for target practice.
No more FM. No more PD ever again.
Maybe we can chip in for a memorial service...
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu ➑️
It's actually sad how the "all-in-one" groovebox has been slowly dying. I wish all four Volcas or both new Electribes, or all of the Elektron stuff would be in one box. I'd be way more interested. I'm not looking to add more cables and **** to an already complex setup. I want something that does it all in one box on my lap on the couch. I guess I just need to buy an iPad. And no, I'm not wanting to buy a Kronos. Just a nice well rounded (but square shaped) production machine. It's all little bits and bobs these days.
+1 from me

hate those cables too!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 ➑️
Frankly I was hoping they would give us a totally oddball little PD drum machine type deal with the XW step sequencer. That would have been unique and may have proven to be a toe dip into the water to see how the world responds to woolly Phase Distortion mammoths in the wild again as an indicator as to whether or not to bring it back to life in earnest.
I'm sad they have tossed away their legacy like so many other manufactures have including their nemesis Yamaha.
It's like seeing a pair of sad old drunks shouting at each other in an alley because one pissed on the other's shoes.
Or like old horses who have to be put down.
Or like sick people in oxygen tents.
Or like when Han says Punch it and the Falcon just makes that grinding whining sound and continues listing lazily to the left while the Empire uses it for target practice.
No more FM. No more PD ever again.
Maybe we can chip in for a memorial service...
Casio will have the CZ iPad app at NAMM. So we have not abandoned PD.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
...If I end up getting one of those the first I'll do is sample the Millennium Falcon and other Star Wars sounds or quotes to make a tune of them
Lives for gear

Quote:
Casio will have the CZ iPad app at NAMM. So we have not abandoned PD.
Aha! There's good news! Thanks!!!!
Out of curiosity would you happen to know how big the source code for the app is?
I'm just curious how big a footprint a modern software implementation of a PD engine requires.
Any chance they'll make it Open Source?
Old 6th January 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
What are the actual dimensions of these units?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotsVsChildren ➑️
Roughly 13x9 inches
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotsVsChildren ➑️
According to wikipedia 34,75 meters.
Old 6th January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
More details on the synthesis engine please! Guessing it wont be PD-based since someone already asked about new PD stuff from Casio..?

And that DJ contraption, it's just a controller right ie. no standalone functionality of any kind? Seems like it would be quite unconventional to operate.. or are you supposed to buy 2 of these? Not seeing anything resembling a mixer channel on the unit...

I am most likely not among the target audience but interested to hear all the details nonetheless.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:

So you say it can load in samples which is interesting, does it have an sd card slot to load users own samples from? If so, what size card does it support up to?
Old 7th January 2015
Lives for gear

quote from mike martin over on the facebook page

Mike Martin This is a copy and paste from the thread over at Gearslutz.com where someone said why not just buy a XW-G1 -

To answer your question about comparing this to the XW-G1, they're quite different actually. The Step Sequencer itself on the XW-PD1 is 64 tracks. Basically you get a track for each pad and there are 4 selectable banks of 16 pads. The drum sounds are all new and different from the XW-G1 plus it has the ability to load in samples (similarl to the XW-G1). The effects are also different from the XW-G1. You can assign effects (Stutter, Delays, Ring Mod, Filters and more) to Pads. The Pads can latch so the effect stays on until you hit it again or they can just function momentary. While an effect is engaged you can use the knobs to manipulate those effects in real-time. The XW-PD1 also processes incoming audio through those effects.

so..from me
looks pretty cool specwise
hope we get a video demo at namm that's posted on youtube.
πŸ“ Reply