The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New analog from Roland, JDXi? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 23rd September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Bonaparte View Post
According to the JD-Xi Parameter Guide the synth has 2 digital parts each of which consists of 3 partials. Each partial consists of "osc, filter, amp and LFO". So as I understand it each oscillator has its own filter. There's no mention of being able to route multiple oscillators through a common filter. Is this really the case? It seems like an odd and restrictive deviation from the (virtual) analog standard.
You can do this in theory.

So.....push all three partial buttons (the ones that select for editing) at the same time then just tweak away on the filter settings. I believe that should do what you want as long as you have the filter type set to the same on each.

This works why? --> Answer because when you push down any of the three partial buttons you are able to edit any parameter simultaneously across all partials.
Old 24th September 2015
Gear Addict

some success...

i have midi on channel 10 (for the drums) but when i play the jdxi there is an echo (when playing a drum loop it sounds like a dj galloping their beatmatching)

so i temporarily change to channel 9 in my DAW to get rid of the double sound... it even records the drums when on channel 9! (i thought it would have to be channel 10 to record drums?!)

i need to change back to channel 10 in the DAW so i can hear what was recorded when i press play in the DAW. (channel 9 you can't hear anything)

what am i doing wrong exactly? am i being stupid somewhere?

thanks.
Old 24th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubez View Post
some success...

i have midi on channel 10 (for the drums) but when i play the jdxi there is an echo (when playing a drum loop it sounds like a dj galloping their beatmatching)

so i temporarily change to channel 9 in my DAW to get rid of the double sound... it even records the drums when on channel 9! (i thought it would have to be channel 10 to record drums?!)

i need to change back to channel 10 in the DAW so i can hear what was recorded when i press play in the DAW. (channel 9 you can't hear anything)

what am i doing wrong exactly? am i being stupid somewhere?

thanks.
classic midi loop

Use it as a module and not as a controller. Unless someone else has a better solution.
Old 24th September 2015
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem, but isn't this just a case where you go to System | Local Switch and set it to "off"?
Old 24th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
I'm mostly looking at this synth for the vocoder. How does it stack up against others like the MikroKorgs or even vintage like SVC-350?
bump for same question. also korg r3?

cheers
Old 24th September 2015
Gear Maniac

I don't have any experience with other vocoders, but I like the one on the Jdxi. There are a ton of vocoder presets to go through that you can tweak. I didn't get it for the vocoder, but I did decide to keep it for the vocoder. I have other romplers and analog synths that can do everything the jdxi does otherwise.
Old 28th September 2015
Gear Addict

so what, you can't use the TR-style step recording if your pattern length is more than 1 bar?

(for the other 3 bars)
Old 28th September 2015
Quote:
so what, you can't use the TR-style step recording if your pattern length is more than 1 bar?

(for the other 3 bars)
Sure you can. Just use the Shift button to switch to another bar.
Old 29th September 2015
Gear Addict

thanks, not had the time to read the entire manual, too addictive using this thing.

surprised at the great results i'm getting, i'm usually crap
Old 29th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Piana View Post
I don't have any experience with other vocoders, but I like the one on the Jdxi. There are a ton of vocoder presets to go through that you can tweak. I didn't get it for the vocoder, but I did decide to keep it for the vocoder. I have other romplers and analog synths that can do everything the jdxi does otherwise.
Thanks. Seems this little box can do a lot, for not a lot (!)
Old 3rd October 2015
Gear Guru

there is a special edition RED one if anyone wants to know...

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/ROL-JDXIRD
Old 3rd October 2015
Gear Guru

there is a special edition RED one if anyone wants to know...

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/ROL-JDXIRD
Old 7th October 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Think of it this way: when you are creating a drum pattern (saved as an .SMF file in Roland world.... I believe that abbreviation means Super MIDI Format, if memory serves), you are merely laying down a series of MIDI commands.

That MIDI sequence, if output and saved in your DAW as a MIDI sequence, can then be edited until your eyeballs go numb and the bits start to wear thin.

Then you can poot it back out to your hardware -- JD-XI in this case -- and it will "play" that MIDI sequence back. Or you can even just use the DAW to send the sequence to the hardware to play it back, without trying/needing to store it (as an .SMF file) in the instrument.

It's all about the MIDI!
i don't think the JDXI does this SMF export file business? is this for older roland gear? can't find it on the JDXI...

would be good to export the sounds (though be able to edit them) so i could then work exclusively in the DAW after i have made the initial patterns in the JDXI... is that possible?
Old 7th October 2015
Lives for gear

Huh. Just looked at the downloadable manual. I'd figured since JD-Xi has a pattern sequencer, like every Roland pattern sequencer since the mid-90's, it'd have .SMF (Standard MIDI Format, sorry) import/export capability (meaning you can make a pattern using any sequencer that will save SMF 0 files, and export it to the synth); but, I see no mention of it in the manual. Odd....
Old 7th October 2015
Gear Addict

so i will need to record it as midi from the DAW?

think i need a new DAW, don't think you can add external instruments in FL (to capture live playing)

i know you can in Reason, expensive though
Old 7th October 2015
Lives for gear

Sequencer patterns are save as part of a program on the JD-XI, theoretically it would be possible to write a converter app for PC/Mac that extracts the patterns from a program and saves them as standard MIDI file (SMF).
Old 10th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Great demo, But,… I am observing something very strange. The guy in this demo he is using, in real time, more than 4 recorded measures (bars), actually he change two or three different recorded melodies on the fly. Theoretically, and according to the specs this is impossible, because normally the JD –XI allows you to record up to 4 bars. I am missing something? The limited 4 bars loop capability was the reason for which I hadn't bought this beauty. And today watching this video I felt very amazed!!!

If someone can explain to me what the guy on the demo has made I would much appreciate it.
Old 10th October 2015
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adonis View Post

Great demo, But,… I am observing something very strange. The guy in this demo he is using, in real time, more than 4 recorded measures (bars), actually he change two or three different recorded melodies on the fly. Theoretically, and according to the specs this is impossible, because normally the JD –XI allows you to record up to 4 bars. I am missing something? The limited 4 bars loop capability was the reason for which I hadn't bought this beauty. And today watching this video I felt very amazed!!!

If someone can explain to me what the guy on the demo has made I would much appreciate it.
Should be doable by using favourites. You can change them in realtime as far as I know.
Old 11th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by fladd View Post
Should be doable by using favourites. You can change them in realtime as far as I know.
Yep, but you don't even need to use favorites. You can just change from Program to Program on the fly, which is what he's doing (see the screen - F14, F16; just his custom Programs, nicely done). The Xi has no problem with this. It's the XA that has the issue switching between running Programs. He's just running through Programs, switching parts on and off.
Old 11th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fladd View Post

Thanks.
I think using this feature you can make an entire song easily, and with this way you can add to your pallet many different sonic nuances.
Old 13th October 2015
Gear Addict

apart from the two (crappy) axial soundbanks you can download, can you get any other sounds for the JDXI?

either free or paid.

someone on another forum said you should be able to download the integra sounds... is this BS?
Old 13th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
apart from the two (crappy) axial soundbanks you can download, can you get any other sounds for the JDXI?

either free or paid.

someone on another forum said you should be able to download the integra sounds... is this BS?

The sound libraries are specific for each Roland’s synth, obviously you can't download acoustic or more advanced sounds derived from the Integra, only the FA owners can do that.
Old 13th October 2015
Gear Addict

Its on my list for Chrismas, i will buy it just for the drums.
This is a super drum machine, includes TR kits, CR-78, includes juno, jupiter sounds. Almost everything for 400 bucks.
The minus is the mute on the Drums sounds, but except this i see no other negative things for the price of 450 bucks. Simply the best.
Batteries maybe.
Old 14th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adonis View Post
The sound libraries are specific for each Roland’s synth, obviously you can't download acoustic or more advanced sounds derived from the Integra, only the FA owners can do that.
You can't add new sampled waves to the Xi. You can add new patch programs that use the onboard waveforms.
Old 14th October 2015
How the hell do you initialize a program on this thing? There's a funny sync glitch on a few of the first programs I made but the new ones work fine so I just want to initialize the old ones. Thanks!
Old 15th October 2015
Copy a blank Program over the old Program.
Old 15th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaintjohn View Post
Copy a blank Program over the old Program.
of course! thanks
Old 15th October 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthWizard View Post
I just realized, unless I'm mistaken - the JD-Xi actually has 768 Preset Digital Synth tones - 256 that you can scroll thru when working on a program, and 512 that are used in the 256 Preset Programs. That's great news.
why aren't the other 512 tones available to choose from when making your own program? isn't this a waste?

as a noob i welcome a lot of presets to choose from
Old 18th October 2015
Here for the gear

Hi,

I've created an iPad editor for the JD-Xi, using a $4.99 app called, TB MIDI Stuff.
There are template pages for:
Digital Synth 1
Digital Synth 2
Analog Synth
Drums 1 (first octave of keyboard)
Drums 2 (second octave of keyboard)
Effects

The synth editors were pretty straight forward, but the drum section was really heavy, due to settings for 8 voices per 26 keys with velocity layering, panning, pitching, etc. My iPad Air 2 couldn't handle it, so I broke it up into two sections and kept it to the most settings that it could handle.
I also couldn't export the complete Canvas Snapshot, because it kept crashing on export, so I've exported each page individually. As a result, the navigation buttons on top of the pages won't work correctly unless you load up the pages into your own snapshot in the same order.
The effects section isn't 100% working. I'm able to send values to the synth, but I'm not skilled enough with MIDI sysex to figure out why I couldn't read the values to the iPad.
The TBMS pages are fully editable, so if anyone figures out how to fix my errors, please feel free to edit and share.

Here are the links to the files on Dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/247ugzzfd2r4dg4/JD-Xi%20Analog%20Synth.tbms?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m9p2n5djyp...%201.tbms?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1u6ioab6to...%202.tbms?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oaax0s8jsq...ums2.tbms?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9gnc3qalr9...rums.tbms?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ebjy8io2s4...ECTS.tbms?dl=0
Old 18th October 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog1 View Post
Its on my list for Chrismas, i will buy it just for the drums.
This is a super drum machine, includes TR kits, CR-78, includes juno, jupiter sounds. Almost everything for 400 bucks.
The minus is the mute on the Drums sounds, but except this i see no other negative things for the price of 450 bucks. Simply the best.
Batteries maybe.
I demoed one last week and was so impressed with the drums I went home with it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search