The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New analog from Roland, JDXi? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 11th February 2017
Lives for gear
You can mute the sequencer channels and the notes respond to MIDI.
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotundness View Post

Which brings me to a question:

Is it possible to have the clock set to slave but have the sequencer not running? Or, is it possible to set it so it is only playing back the control changes and not the notes? This would be some nice icing on the cake if possible.
Disregard the questions...figured out another way. Thanks though.
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The seamless playback when switching programs is enough of a song creation tool for me.
OK so it isn't always seamless. Depends on the FX being used. The Slicer really has problems making a smooth transition.

On another note, I received my overlays and they look great. The post office folded the package so there is a crease in the right side panel but it isn't very obvious.
Attached Thumbnails
New analog from Roland, JDXi?-20170215_134301.jpg  
Old 26th February 2017
Lives for gear

It took a while but now the JDXi Manager also features a drums editor.

The new release (Windows and Linux) is available at JDXi Manager - A Patch Editor for the Roland JD-Xi - Official Home Page as usual.

Old 6th March 2017
Lives for gear

Hey JD-XI owners... I know the JD-XI is packed with classic 808/etc drum samples, but I just looked at the voice list and some of them are called "LD kick", "LD snr", etc. Are these LinnDrum samples?

If so, reasonably good?
Old 8th March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by manalishi View Post
Hey JD-XI owners... I know the JD-XI is packed with classic 808/etc drum samples, but I just looked at the voice list and some of them are called "LD kick", "LD snr", etc. Are these LinnDrum samples?

If so, reasonably good?
Yes, they're Linn samples and sound good, I was up and making a Prince style jams in no time. Def one of the overlooked details of the JDXI.
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deplopcinema View Post
Yes, they're Linn samples and sound good, I was up and making a Prince style jams in no time. Def one of the overlooked details of the JDXI.
I found a little feature that isn't documented anywhere...At least I haven't seen it. Tux99 knows about it already though. You can reverse any drum sample in the XI. Makes for some nice push and pull feels in the beat when used properly. Just raise the pitch of a drum sample up into the octave and a half, 2 octave region. Don't know where it actually switches but it does and then you have the sample reversed with the ability to still control the pitch as well. Can be saved and edited just like the forward playing samples. I love little hidden gems like this in a synth that has been out for this long. Wonder what else is in there to be found. Seems like I found another feature like this but I can't remember it at the moment. Will have to look at my notes from the past week and see if anything rings a bell. Can't tell you how many times I've woke up with my hands still on a synth.

@tux99...The editor is a thing of beauty. I donated and wanted to thank you for the little extras you included in the email you sent me. Do you have plans to add more functionality? Would be nice to be able to edit the FX with it. I noticed the new drum editor can edit the effects sends for the individual drums. Nice. Anyway, no pressure, just wondering what the plan is from here?

Last edited by rotundness; 9th March 2017 at 12:42 AM..
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
@tux99...The editor is a thing of beauty. I donated and wanted to thank you for the little extras you included in the email you sent me. Do you have plans to add more functionality? Would be nice to be able to edit the FX with it. I noticed the new drum editor can edit the effects sends for the individual drums. Nice. Anyway, no pressure, just wondering what the plan is from here?
Thanks for the compliment and the donation, it certainly helps to keep me motivated.

FX, Vocoder and Program editor sections will be next. Unfortunately I can't give any time estimates as to when the next release will be as it depends on how much spare time I will have in the next few months.

That said I will likely release a bug-fix release soon (I will announce it as usual on the Twitter feed when it's released) as I found a few minor bugs that need fixing, and I have added a 'MIDI Panic' button as I came across a situation recently while editing sounds on the JD-Xi where I had notes hanging and therefore thought a 'MIDI Panic' button would be handy to have.

Last edited by tux99; 9th March 2017 at 11:33 AM..
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Well, I'm late to the party, but just checking in after picking up a used JD-XI. Fantastic little machine, and it's so easy to get something happening quickly with that sequencer. The drum tones and their tweakability are worth the £275 it cost me.

Downloading the editor (thanks Tux99!) and will see how much more useful the analogue synth is when all of the parameters are right at hand.
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manalishi View Post
Well, I'm late to the party, but just checking in after picking up a used JD-XI. Fantastic little machine, and it's so easy to get something happening quickly with that sequencer. The drum tones and their tweakability are worth the £275 it cost me.

Downloading the editor (thanks Tux99!) and will see how much more useful the analogue synth is when all of the parameters are right at hand.
I ended up getting a brand new one from Sweetwater for $450.00. Couldn't resist. The sequencer is really fun. The first week I got it I didn't hook it up to anything midi or usb and just played with the sequencer. Now I have it integrated into the system as a tone module but I still like using it all by itself just to get some ideas going.

The analogue synth is pretty basic, especially when you compare it to the other synth parts but that isn't really fair. Some of the lead and bass presets are too trendy sounding for me but it does show what it is capable of. The analogue Triangle Wave is large where it counts. I love the simple auxiliary pitch envelopes that each synth part has. Hell, the drums have it too...With a stupid amount of control...Per sample even. Should be a thing on all synths. Filter envelopes are so over hyped, pitch is where it's at.

Anyway, watch out for the "gotcha" of changing programs before you have saved. It is easy to do at first because the same buttons are used for value editing on certain pages. They even added a function that disables program changes from the front panel. Press and hold the Menu/Write button and then press the Sequencer Step 01 button. Same to turn it off.

I did some pretty intense editing before I got the editor and wow. Head starts spinning even now. I have the editor connected via USB and the JD-XI set to (generic) I don't use/need the audio interface functions. I have Nuendo connected via the 5 pin. I have the editor open in the background while running Nuendo. Best of both worlds so to speak.

Last edited by rotundness; 12th March 2017 at 06:50 PM..
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
I ended up getting a brand new one from Sweetwater for $450.00. Couldn't resist. The sequencer is really fun. The first week I got it I didn't hook it up to anything midi or usb and just played with the sequencer. Now I have it integrated into the system as a tone module but I still like using it all by itself just to get some ideas going.

The analogue synth is pretty basic, especially when you compare it to the other synth parts but that isn't really fair. Some of the lead and bass presets are too trendy sounding for me but it does show what it is capable of. The analogue Triangle Wave is large where it counts. I love the simple auxiliary pitch envelopes that each synth part has. Hell, the drums have it too...With a stupid amount of control...Per sample even. Should be a thing on all synths. Filter envelopes are so over hyped, pitch is where it's at.

Anyway, watch out for the "gotcha" of changing programs before you have saved. It is easy to do at first because the same buttons are used for value editing on certain pages. They even added a function that disables program changes from the front panel. Press and hold the Menu/Write button and then press the Sequencer Step 01 button. Same to turn it off.

I did some pretty intense editing before I got the editor and wow. Head starts spinning even now. I have the editor connected via USB and the JD-XI set to (generic) I don't use/need the audio interface functions. I have Nuendo connected via the 5 pin. I have the editor open in the background while running Nuendo. Best of both worlds so to speak.
The trendy sounds are definitely acceptable quality wise at least, considering the whole Aira line is one or two emulated trendy sounds per separate unit...
I particularly like that the "Analog Feel" is an editable parameter rather than a requirement like the ACB stuff. When someone posted that their actual vintage Roland didn't have oscillator drift but the boutique emulation did, I completely lost interest in the whole ACB line and will stick to my JD-Xi that lets me choose.
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

A few people asked me to cover the transpose and startup program feature in Firmware 1.5 - so "I did a vid" TM (This is also a follow-up of my video on the Interactive Chord feature).

The transpose is actually something that I use all the time on sequencers. To have this export via MIDI out is something special. The sequencer on the JD-XI is actually pretty neat.
Old 18th March 2017
Lives for gear

@ranzee: that's another very well made video tutorial, short but to the point.

In case you ever run out of subjects about which to make video tutorials for your youtube channel, maybe a brief introductory one of the JDXi Manager editor could be of general interest?

I would do one myself but I'm crap at making videos, but of course I would be at your disposal to clarify any questions or doubts you might have regarding features and functionality of the editor before doing the video.
Old 19th March 2017
Here for the gear

Hi to all,
I'm new to Jd-xi too and have a lot of fun playing with it. Now I connected it with my old DX7 via midi in/out cables but there are some strange things happening. When I play on the DX keyboard the overall volume from the Jd-xi is about 30% quieter then when I play the keys directly on the Jd-xi. It seems as if the velocity information from the DX is somehow weak but it happens only on the D1 and D2 part od Jd-xi. The analog synth part sounds equal on both keyboards.
Have you ever had such problems? Maybe I have to change some settings but I don't have much knowledge about midi.
Thanks for every hint or answer...

Oh and I forgot, the DX has a Supermax extension board built in.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post
@ranzee: that's another very well made video tutorial, short but to the point.

In case you ever run out of subjects about which to make video tutorials for your youtube channel, maybe a brief introductory one of the JDXi Manager editor could be of general interest?

I would do one myself but I'm crap at making videos, but of course I would be at your disposal to clarify any questions or doubts you might have regarding features and functionality of the editor before doing the video.
Hey thanks

I would love to make a video on your awesome editor. I'll shout out to you via email or something to get this happening.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius DX View Post
Hi to all,
I'm new to Jd-xi too and have a lot of fun playing with it. Now I connected it with my old DX7 via midi in/out cables but there are some strange things happening. When I play on the DX keyboard the overall volume from the Jd-xi is about 30% quieter then when I play the keys directly on the Jd-xi. It seems as if the velocity information from the DX is somehow weak but it happens only on the D1 and D2 part od Jd-xi. The analog synth part sounds equal on both keyboards.
Have you ever had such problems? Maybe I have to change some settings but I don't have much knowledge about midi.

The DX7 is a really old synth, and has quite an old MIDI implementation on it. Still useful nonetheless, but you might be better off using:
  • a MIDIBro/MIDIPal/MIDIGal type box in-between them to filter out any MIDI CC stuff you don't want it to send.
  • or you could go into your DAW and use the tools within there - and back out to your JD-XI.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi to all,

I've heard some early versions of the DX7 have a max velocity of 100 instead of the normal 127 like the JD-Xi, this might be what's causing trouble here. So no matter how hard you play the DX the MIDI it sends can't go as high as the JD-Xi's.

I find it odd that the analog part sounds equal on both keyboards but maybe you tested with patches that weren't velocity sensitive?
Old 19th March 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzee View Post
The DX7 is a really old synth, and has quite an old MIDI implementation on it. Still useful nonetheless, but you might be better off using:
  • a MIDIBro/MIDIPal/MIDIGal type box in-between them to filter out any MIDI CC stuff you don't want it to send.
  • or you could go into your DAW and use the tools within there - and back out to your JD-XI.
Hi ranzee, thanks for the tips. When you said to use DAW tools, what would you recommend?
Old 19th March 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
I've heard some early versions of the DX7 have a max velocity of 100 instead of the normal 127 like the JD-Xi, this might be what's causing trouble here. So no matter how hard you play the DX the MIDI it sends can't go as high as the JD-Xi's.

I find it odd that the analog part sounds equal on both keyboards but maybe you tested with patches that weren't velocity sensitive?
Hi ToyBox, yes this was a issue but I have installed the SoundMax extension board that should have solved the problem. Hmm...maybe these midi boxes could solve the problem like ranzee suggested.Thanks.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll shout out to you via email or something to get this happening.
Great, when you'll have time for doing the video just email me at the email address mentioned on the JDXi editor web site, or PM me here on gearslutz.
Old 19th March 2017
Here for the gear

After some experimenting it comes out that not all patches have this velocity problem. Mostly the softer keyboard sounds so perhaps ToyBox is right that it could be something within the patches.
Now there is a new issue with the 6. lower A key. It feels like the spring is lazy or gives more resistance. It doesn't go up and down as quickly as the other keys. I suppose that there is no way to clean or fix it without opening the case...but otherwise everything works just fine.
Old 19th March 2017
Quote:
After some experimenting it comes out that not all patches have this velocity problem. Mostly the softer keyboard sounds so perhaps ToyBox is right that it could be something within the patches.
Now there is a new issue with the 6. lower A key. It feels like the spring is lazy or gives more resistance. It doesn't go up and down as quickly as the other keys. I suppose that there is no way to clean or fix it without opening the case...but otherwise everything works just fine.
When I first got my Xi everything sounded really weird, and it turned out that the previous owner had set the velocity curve to some weird setting. Make sure you dig into the settings and see that it's set to something reasonable.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Some patches have velocity set to a fixed value, maybe have a look at the patch settings in the menu, or much more easily with the help of a software editor: JDXi Manager - A Patch Editor for the Roland JD-Xi - Official Home Page
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear
Yeah the analog section is set to 0 for the Amp Velocity for the initialize patch but not on the digital initialize for whatever reason. The digital sections have Amp Velocity per each of the 3 partials and a lot more Velocity options in general.

I'm terrible with keys in general so I have the Velocity offset in the "system" settings cranked.
Old 20th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopotato View Post
Yeah the analog section is set to 0 for the Amp Velocity for the initialize patch but not on the digital initialize for whatever reason. The digital sections have Amp Velocity per each of the 3 partials and a lot more Velocity options in general.

I'm terrible with keys in general so I have the Velocity offset in the "system" settings cranked.
Speaking of velocity - tried the Volca FM ?
Old 20th March 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Some patches have velocity set to a fixed value, maybe have a look at the patch settings in the menu, or much more easily with the help of a software editor: JDXi Manager - A Patch Editor for the Roland JD-Xi - Official Home Page
Thanks tux99, the Patch Editor is a very nice tool. In my case I had some good results editing the Level V-Sens parameter in the Amp section of the Tone edit portion in Menu. It Specifies how the volume will vary according to the strength with which you play the keyboard.
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Speaking of velocity - tried the Volca FM ?
I know it has a slider labeled velocity and doesn't respond to actual key velocity LMAO.

Kind of silly if you ask me.
Old 26th March 2017
Lives for gear

Ranzee has just made a great introductory video of the JDXi Manager editor, see below. Thanks very much Ranzee !
His other videos are well worth checking out too.

Old 27th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ranzee has just made a great introductory video of the JDXi Manager editor, see below. Thanks very much Ranzee !
His other videos are well worth checking out too.

My pleasure - it is pretty cool software - so deserves a mention!
Old 27th March 2017
Lives for gear

As a side note, Ranzee's video contains an example of the cool hidden feature of the JD-Xi drums part mentioned by Rotundness in post #3214 , i.e. being able to play drum samples in reverse when setting coarse tune above approx. 20. Check it out for yourself just after min. 11:34 in Ranzee's video.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search