The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is Apollo Twin Duo good for EDM?
Old 22nd December 2014 | Show parent
  #31
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrlFrndWrks View Post
I can't expect much from a bunch of Eurotrash foreigners who can't even read the post correctly. Keep at it guys you'll get your english right one day. To the rest of the helpful people thank you for your replies and patience. It really shows you guys love what you do and are passionate.
Eurotrash? I was initially on your side and was just going to let you know since you don't post much on public forums that there are trolls on here, and everywhere on the internet actually, who can't help but to spew trash, and you're bound to get those who are going to "flame" you for posting something they think is ridiculous. But making racist remarks, you're just joining the bottom feeders. I'm pretty sure a large portion of the forum, myself included, are from MMMMuuurrica, the land of the free. Calling people things like Eurotrash really gives insight into how you think of others. Getting into a diverse industry with this type of mindset, you're bound to fall into a stereotype yourself.
Old 22nd December 2014 | Show parent
  #32
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by opeth13 View Post
Eurotrash? I was initially on your side and was just going to let you know since you don't post much on public forums that there are trolls on here, and everywhere on the internet actually, who can't help but to spew trash, and you're bound to get those who are going to "flame" you for posting something they think is ridiculous. But making racist remarks, you're just joining the bottom feeders. I'm pretty sure a large portion of the forum, myself included, are from MMMMuuurrica, the land of the free.
I'm from murica too my friend born and raised. If you look under the user names of the repliers it says supposedly where they are from. But out of respect I'll delete the comment. I don't want to stir up a forum uproar just want to stay on topic and get a straight answer to a simple question. It seems people are just dodging my question and making assumptions and going off topic.
Old 22nd December 2014 | Show parent
  #33
Lives for gear
 
xanax's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrlFrndWrks View Post
Would me looping the tracks out of logic and into the apollo twin and back into logic have any effect on my tracks as far as tone or anything of that matter? Is that even possible with the apollo twin duo?
No, as others have mentioned already that would be completely pointless. For fully ITB production the Apollo will only allow you access to the UAD VTS plug-ins.

Btw.. this is the Internet.. as in global forum community... not your back yard so watch it with the "euro-trash" "foreigner" comments
Old 22nd December 2014 | Show parent
  #34
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
No, as others have mentioned already that would be completely pointless. For fully ITB production the Apollo will only allow you access to the UAD VTS plug-ins.

Btw.. this is the Internet.. as in global forum community... not your back yard so watch it with the "euro-trash" "foreigner" comments
Yea, thanks for the advice.
Old 22nd December 2014 | Show parent
  #35
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
No, as others have mentioned already that would be completely pointless. For fully ITB production the Apollo will only allow you access to the UAD VTS plug-ins.
The apollo twin duo can help me process my tracks out of logic into other outboard gear for instance connecting a piece of hardware such as a compressor or eq to apollo twin running back into the apollo twin and then logic?
Old 22nd December 2014
  #36
Lives for gear
 
xanax's Avatar
I don't think you can use the I/Os as inserts either.. you'd need a summing interface for that.. but anyways the whole point of going UAD imo is to use their wonderful plug-ins that emulate priceless hardware EQ/Compressors you probably could never afford.. used correctly it can definitely breathe in some of that analog magic into your ITB projects (virtually speaking of course).. i'd leave the expensive analog outboard for the mastering engineers...
Old 22nd December 2014 | Show parent
  #37
Lives for gear
 

UAD gives you some of the best hardware plugin emulations. You can use them inside the Uad console and process the after THER get converted to digital by the converters.

Or you can mix with them inside your daw and master with. Uad sell both mixing plugins and master plugins. The mastering plugins will use much more DSP power as you'll only be able to run 1 or 2 instances at a time with the Apollo twin.

I'm adding a Uad Thunderbolt Satelite so I can use more plugins at one time.
Old 22nd December 2014
  #38
Lives for gear
 
xanax's Avatar
^exactly... i'd skip the apollo series and go straight to a TB Satellite serie with quad or octo DSP
Old 22nd December 2014 | Show parent
  #39
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrlFrndWrks View Post
I'm sorry did I ever say I was hoping it was going to fix my mixes?
Right in your first post. It's pretty clear that you expect the hardware to add at least some kind of magic. In my experience, the newer people are to this, the more magic they'll expect to happen

If you don't need the UAD plugins, don't get an interface which has that as a major selling point. You can always add a box that does the processing later if you want to.

If you already have a boatload of plugins, then demo the UAD ones and see if they're better than the ones you have right now (but that means selling your existing ones at a loss, if that's even possible, and re-buying the UAD versions which are usually priced higher than the average plugin).

If you want to have enough routing possibilities to run hardware through, you need an interface with good A/D and enough I/O first and foremost; the fact that it can run a certain brand of plugins is secondary. Now, it doesn't hurt that UAD has a good track record regarding that as well, but you might get frustrated if running something through an outboard chain means patching and waiting for the track to play every single time because the number of I/O is limited. It's got 2 outs and 2 ins and a set of monitor outs, so that means you should theoretically be able to get the audio out to the hardware and back into the audio interface while listening to the result on your monitors. However, that also means that if you want to use external sound sources - hardware synths/vocals/etc. - you have to disconnect your effects loop to get those back in. That alone makes it worth it to go for something with a few more I/Os.

I hope you can ask that engineer friend of yours any time you need him; that is going to help you get ahead far faster than any audio interface or effect is going to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrlFrndWrks View Post
Would me looping the tracks out of logic and into the apollo twin and back into logic have any effect on my tracks as far as tone or anything of that matter? Is that even possible with the apollo twin duo?
This is actually something you're going to be grateful for that people on forums take this **** seriously; lots of tests like this are available.

Example (not the one you're looking for, just to explain the principle) https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high...back-test.html

Just take your audio interface of choice and see if someone did a shootout.

Thing is, when you're reading reviews: people buy one audio interface - but they usually don't buy 4 of 'm at once of different brands. The experience is usually quickly soured ("oh, it can't do x", "****, it crashed", "support never replied to me") or it works OK/reliably. After a few years, people switch because they have a bigger budget/need more I/O and you get reactions like "this sounds so much better than X", so also keep that in mind when you're reading user reviews. There is no best; there's only which fits your demands for a given budget.

Good audio interfaces will last several years, so it doesn't hurt to increase your budget/save up to get into a higher tier.
Old 22nd December 2014
  #40
Lives for gear
 
Odey's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrlFrndWrks View Post
Hey,

I currently have a 2011 15" Macbook Pro, Mbox 2 and DynaAudio BM5A MkII's. I make EDM music and I do everything in the box using Logic as a DAW. I was looking for a Digital Analog converter to run my tracks through to just give it that analog quality hoping that would help the quality of my tracks a bit. A friend of my mine told me about the Apollo twin Duo which pretty much gives me a better interface and DA converter with UA plugins. I was sold on it and then I came across the Apogee Quartet which is also a interface/DA converter.

That confused me on which one to get for what I need it for. Which interface would be better for making Electronic music? Would it be a big difference from what I am using now which is a Mbox 2?
It will definitely be a firm upgrade to your Mbox. The mbox is really an entry level piece of kit and I do not rate the converters at all.

It will give you better DAC which will in turn improve your monitoring thus helping you to make better mix decisions. However speakers and speaker placement/room acoustics will greatly impact your mix too.

It will give you access to UAD plugins. Which are great. As others have pointed out you may be able to achieve what you want with the plugins you already have but most engineers and musicians I speak to rely on their UAD plugins for mixing purposes.

If at some stage you decide to do some tracking outside of the box like with an analogue mono synth (novation bass station, minibrute, moog) then you will have a very good quality preamp and DI input to do this with. In my opinion a few analogue bass and lead lines peppered around your tracks can make everything sound "bigger". Plus you can use the UAD plugins on the way in.

In theory you could use the preamps on the apollo to loop back into logic to add some analogue processing but from my understanding the preamps are quite clean sounding unless you are using plugins. And the plugins are being applied ITB so this seems a bit pointless. As has also been pointed out there aren't insert points to help you insert other pieces of kit that would add colour. You may want to investigate some other ways of bouncing in and out of logic to insert analogue outboard gear to your stems/tracks.

Hope that helps
Old 22nd December 2014
  #41
Lives for gear
 

And I'll be brutally realistic #2 ...

Your MBox is more than adequate for you at this point. When you actually need some better gear, you won't need to come on here to ask what you need...you will know what you need. You also won't need to know which specific make and model of equipment you need, you will have learned how analyze your needs and how to evaluate equipment. About the only questions you'll need to ask on here will be "Are there any units I've missed", and "Are there any problems with a (make & model)?

Forget about outboard gear. An outboard compressor isn't going to do a damn thing for your mix if you don't know how a compressor works and how to use it. In fact, if you don't know what you're doing, and you don't, you may well make your mix sound worse.

A lot of great recordings have been made using only the plug-ins that come with Logic. Start with those, learn how to use the big 3...EQ...compressor/limiter/gate/...reverb.

Then you can explore your Waves and other plugins. By the way...all of this stuff is legal, no cracked stuff, right? Waves and other companies sometimes troll these boards looking for anything that might be pirated...you don't want to deal with the fines that go with piracy.

People here are always willing to point you in the right direction, but you have to do the work.

Making good recordings is a lot more than just noodling around on a synt. If you aren't willing to spend the time needed to learn about this stuff, don't waste your time, and don't waste ours.

Don't bother replying to this post...I won't be following this thread any more...you've got a big-time attitude problem, you need to fix that first...
Old 22nd December 2014
  #42
Gear Maniac
 

I think you should try to stop at the mixing stage (itb) and not try to master your own tracks. Mastering is an art in itself and you can off course learn that as well. But if the music is currently more important than your mastering skills i'd recommend finding a good mastering engineer/service/company.
You'll be amazed at what others can do with your mix. So make a mix that is to your own liking but don't try to win the loundess war by yourself. Deliver a mix that still has a good amount of dynamics (-12db peaks) in it to a mastering service and see what happens, you can try and compare different ones to eachother.
By all means try to experiment with analog outboard gear but expect a steep learning curve and in the genre that you're in i think it might not even get you the best results. I for one don't even know if my mastering engineer uses analogue outboard but i don't care as long as it sounds good.

Last edited by ralph; 22nd December 2014 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 22nd December 2014 | Show parent
  #43
Here for the gear
 

Just as an FYI, for the type of music you want to make (EDM), it's probably better to be completely in the box. This is THE style of music that can be made completely with VSTs/plugins to be honest.

I think you're approaching this question with a confirmation bias, and you're looking for people to tell you that you need this expensive piece of gear to make edm. Read any number of AMA's on Reddit of popular EDM artists, there are plenty of very successful artists who don't have a single piece of outboard gear.
Old 22nd December 2014
  #44
Lives for gear
 
pr0gr4m's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrlFrndWrks View Post
I was looking for a Digital Analog converter to run my tracks through to just give it that analog quality hoping that would help the quality of my tracks a bit.
Just want to say that your DA change, whether its the UA or Apogee or something else, very well can affect the overall quality and could be an improvement to your ears...but if when you say "analog quality" you are talking about the saturation effect that one can get when recording to analog tape, a DA change sn't going to get you there.
Old 22nd December 2014
  #45
Here for the gear
 

I still don't believe all this "warm analog sounding" thing.

As I said on the previous page - I think you should focus on what you have, and not think about using outboard gear. It's not gonna help you.

I understand what your seeking, and your way of thinking. Totally.
But trust me, even if you had the best outboard gear out there, you still wouldn't be able to archieve anywhere near similar results, unless you know what you're doing. Which you don't.

Sure, outboard gear can probably add something good to the sounds, but only if you know how to use it.
Old 22nd December 2014 | Show parent
  #46
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrlFrndWrks View Post
I'm sorry did I ever say I was hoping it was going to fix my mixes? Stop assuming. I was just humbly asking a question about processing through outboard gear. I understand one would still have to properly mix even if its getting processed through physical hardware.

You guys take this forum sh*t way to seriously. Need to relax.
mate you have to understand, you are not the first person to make an account and ask these types of questions, in fact you are probably the 3rd or 4th just this week who has...

after a while it grates on people and the sarcasm meters go into the red...

unfortunately there is no solution to the endless amounts of people who get the idea to join a forum to ask a question, it's nearly always when they get to a point in their hobby they can't get past, often it's a valid question, often it's the same as the last 134,587 people who are also doing this stuff..

Old 22nd December 2014 | Show parent
  #47
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvlol View Post
Just as an FYI, for the type of music you want to make (EDM), it's probably better to be completely in the box. This is THE style of music that can be made completely with VSTs/plugins to be honest.

I think you're approaching this question with a confirmation bias, and you're looking for people to tell you that you need this expensive piece of gear to make edm. Read any number of AMA's on Reddit of popular EDM artists, there are plenty of very successful artists who don't have a single piece of outboard gear.

^ this, and now I think it's come to that time where the OP uploads one of his tracks for inspection by the broader community so we can clarify what's missing in the mix, if of course anything is missing at all..

what say you OP.. supply one of your best tracks..??
Old 23rd December 2014 | Show parent
  #48
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post

unfortunately there is no solution to the endless amounts of people who get the idea to join a forum to ask a question
That's what the search function is for.
Old 23rd December 2014 | Show parent
  #49
Lives for gear
 
ignorantape's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
I remember a pic that was doing the rounds a while ago, was of an "awesome knob" or something like that.

Engineers would turn it up when the artist wanted the track to sound better. Think the OP is looking for one of those.
Yep, my knob is pretty awesome.










Somebody had to say it, didn't they?
Old 23rd December 2014
  #50
I like using the Studer A800 tape plug-in. It adds that analog warmth to drums pretty good. I think what OP wants is to use the plugs to get the analog sound. Sending the music out of the computer, then back in won't really impart a whole lot of analog mojo. Unless you were to say hit the main mix with some sort of tape saturation.

UAD plugs are meant to add warmth and color ITB. No reason to send OTB. There is a huge sale right now, and they give you a bunch if plugs for buying an Apollo as well. Sale ends 12/31
Old 23rd December 2014 | Show parent
  #51
Deleted #135818
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignorantape View Post
Yep, my knob is pretty awesome.
Righto then, ill 2nd that.

Your knob is indeed pretty awesome.
Old 23rd December 2014
  #52
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
deary me, not sure I like where this is going...
Old 23rd December 2014
  #53
Deleted #135818
Guest
LOL
Old 23rd December 2014
  #54
Lives for gear
 
Kaoz's Avatar
I think it's an improvement on where it was heading previously tbh.
Old 23rd December 2014 | Show parent
  #55
Gear Nut
 

I wouldn't discourage someone from getting some outboard! It would make it so much easier, possibly a lot more fun/inspiring as well. Go have fun exploring some outboard gear if you can afford it and its not going to bring you financial ruin.

Im totally jealous of some friends who have good outboard. I remember the first time I borrowed a good compressor from my friend and blowing my mind with how good a drum loop and samples sounded through it - reminded me of good house/techno from the 90s. For me, I always prefer good outboard to VST counterparts, including UAD - as much as I love VST plugs at the same time.

Its like saying don't buy a hardware synth until you have mastered a software synth. Fk that! - it was only when I bought hardware synths that I finally got the sound I wanted and finally started to learn things properly because I was inspired!

And yes running your mix out of your audio interface and back into the audio interface will add practically nothing to your mix. Including Apogee's soft limit that seems to do absolutely nothing.

If going UAD or Apogee and you have cash, definitely get the UAD for their plugins (its not a cheap route). They are great but so are the plugs you mentioned. But some people swear by their UAD collection.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 179 views: 79818
Avatar for ZipSnipe
ZipSnipe 9th February 2017
replies: 173 views: 17392
Avatar for theblotted
theblotted 1st January 2009
replies: 916 views: 202038
Avatar for gcabaltica
gcabaltica 27th October 2017
replies: 103 views: 60753
Avatar for Reverb
Reverb 16th January 2017
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump