Arturia matrix 12 emulation
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

Arturia matrix 12 emulation

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OWmQVUP88DQ

What do you think?
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

As an old-time Matrix-12 owner, I'm not sure if I want to hear this. The other Arturia emulations have left me cold. Sure, they sound great for the price, but if you choose to call a softsynth Moog Modular V or CS80 V, you'd better have your emulations together. The Moog Modular made me laugh, and the CS80 caused a lot of irritation. They really don't approach the sound of the originals.
Also, the Matrix-12 inteface is one of the best ever, despite having just 6 encoders. It's so well-done that I prefer it to the Andromeda with its 80+ knobs. (I'm not joking) So I'm not sure that I would consider an advantage to program a Matrix-12 from a computer screen.
Repeat, I'm sure it sounds great for the price. I'm just put off by the choice to call it (and its relatives) with real vintage instruments names, assuming they are 1:1 recreations. They aren't.
Old 2nd December 2014
Gear Guru

Yay! Why display envelopes graphically in a somewhat useful way when you can reduce them to 127 steps on a green display for the sake of misguided "authenticity"?

Watch out - if this one's got snappy envelopes, they probably cloned the SEM code 12 times.

edit: okay, that's pretty pessimistic. The Solina V looks nice, though.

Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear
Haha, true.

I'm interested although I've only played one once years ago. I enjoyed the demo at least, although I wouldn't have used that particular sound for the solo; its a bit lacking in high end sparkle for such a fun melody.

Just watching the walkthough vids. It sounds really good.
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

That demo video is a great example of why I always cringe...just a little bit...when I tell people I'm into synthesizers. I feel like that is the first mental image/sound that comes to their minds before they kindly reply "Oh I see, well that's...different".

I don't even care about this synth at this point. I just want to punch myself in the face.
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicncars View Post
If the GUI is as small as their other recreations, I'll pass. It is impossible to read these interfaces.
Old 2nd December 2014
Worst demo of any soft synth. How is that suppose to show me that its a faithful reproduction of a Matrix 12 when it sounds just like every soft synth they have ever made? As usual Artuira expects their customers to be completely clueless when it comes to the real synth they claim to emulate.
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

Arturia.! What the hell are you doing!? First that revolutionairy product of a teaser and now this? LOL
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

Get your support emails in now and be patronised well in time for the new year.
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

Until now Arturias graphic designers and their software coders have not been on the same level. Until I am proven wrong, I assume this is the case also for their Matrix12 emulation. Nice interface with generic VA sound.
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

hey guys

it sounds like ****
Old 2nd December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord View Post
Get your support emails in now and be patronised well in time for the new year.

Thought I may as well check out the software demos.. but the website isn't working
Old 2nd December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by method1 View Post
Thought I may as well check out the software demos.. but the website isn't working
Yeah they are getting hella slammed.

Finally got the V-Collection overview page to load. In addition to the Matrix and Solina, they're including the Vox Continental simulation which looks pretty good.

Also Spark 2's included, and it is waaaaay better than that Spark VDM thing that was included with the previous V-Collection, in almost every way.

But also- new dongle-free license management system? I hope eLicenser's still an option?
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
If the GUI is as small as their other recreations, I'll pass. It is impossible to read these interfaces.
Too, true. I would like to compare them, maybe I will, as I have a real one. I'm not sure when it will be released. I'll try to make a video, once it get it. I wonder if it will increase the value of an original one?
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

Man, watching that product video just makes me wish they would start producing real polyphonic synthesizer instruments instead of these small time quick buck VST plugins. I mean, first, they show you this amazing instrument, and then a splitscreen occurs with a guy on a cheap keyboard and a laptop running an ugly looking plugin.

This is not what we want! Please stop.
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

looks cool, probably sounds exactly like every other plugin.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

But it haz TAE modeling technology!

You know that since they used an acronym to describe their modeling tech it is definitely going to sound authentic!
Just like all the other companies that use acronyms to describe their modeling.

Former Matrix 12 owner - Well, cool story Arturia. But why doesn't it sound like an M12 in the video?
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Sounds really awful. At least in the demo.

- T
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

in the video: ...everything BAD about the m12, and none of the good. and some kid in skinny jeans to boot.

Those sounds INSURE you will never get laid.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino View Post
The Moog Modular made me laugh, and the CS80 caused a lot of irritation. They really don't approach the sound of the originals.
Sorry, but this isn't true. I programmed on the CS family, lucky me, and it's not the same thing. But it's surprisingly close, and it doesn't cost as much as a car or a house. How close? Well, let me tell you that I'm pulling my hair out right now over a client who sometimes doesn't know what they're hearing. Sometimes yes, but I'm tired of the guy either praising me or throwing a fit at me over a change which he's imagining I made in a mix.

I think too many times, you guys here are that guy.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

So you've all made up your minds based on a 90-second advert?

If exactly the same advert had been advertising the hardware synth, and not the plug-in, everyone on this forum would have been drooling over it like mad...

And unless the guy's jeans are actually supplied with the synth, what difference does that make to anything?

D.
Old 3rd December 2014
Gear Addict

I feel like Arturia gets it close, but not quite with their emulations. For example, I have their v collection 3, and they are great plug-ins. But when you watch this video (especially at the 8:18 mark)

and then play with oberheim sem v afterwards, you're bound to be a little disappointed. The filter is usually the weak point for me. I don't get as much top end sparkle as I hear with the original.

That being the case, it still resembles the original to a pretty good degree. If I think of it as a different instrument, I end up being a lot more happy with it. It is definitely a lot more cost effective than buying the original, to the tune of thousands of dollars more afforable. In the end, If I can make good music with it, I'm happy.

Pros and Cons....
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

I'm way more interested in the Polymoog..er I mean the Solina.

That said, I think it's hilarious all the hate Arturia gets. I don't care if my 8V sounds 'real'. It sounds great as it is and compares well to my Integra...which ALSO sounds great. I have no reason to think the M12 will be SO bad as to be fractionally as bad as the GS brigade already determined after one video crushed by youtube..

All this comes down to is the same BS that happened over the Jupiter 80. People like reading their 'wisdom' in print.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy View Post
Sorry, but this isn't true. I programmed on the CS family, lucky me, and it's not the same thing. But it's surprisingly close, and it doesn't cost as much as a car or a house. How close? Well, let me tell you that I'm pulling my hair out right now over a client who sometimes doesn't know what they're hearing. Sometimes yes, but I'm tired of the guy either praising me or throwing a fit at me over a change which he's imagining I made in a mix.

I think too many times, you guys here are that guy.
Hey, I'm only *one* guy here... let's not generalize. heh
Jokes aside, please note that I said up front that I think that the Arturia plugins sound great, especially for the price. I don't use them, but they can certainly be used in any pro context. What irritates me it's that they call them a CS80, an ARP 2600, etc., when it's easy for me to detect a difference in character. I took the Moog Modular and CS80 as an example because I've played the originals quite a bit so I can talk about it. Plus, the Arturia instruments have a tendency to sound very similar to each other.
I'm neither religious nor fetishist about the analog sound; I just hear a difference, and I say it. We could argue for days about "how" close the Arturia stuff comes to the original - but exactly the same thing, they are not.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

I don't have a problem with the Arturia sounds. I like all their stuff sound wise. What I can't stand are the UIs. You can't program them. You're essentially stuck with the presets, which are fine. But I like creating my own sounds, which I can't do when I have a GUI that you need a Hubble Telescope to see.

Irritates me to no end.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't have a problem with the Arturia sounds. I like all their stuff sound wise. What I can't stand are the UIs. You can't program them. You're essentially stuck with the presets, which are fine. But I like creating my own sounds, which I can't do when I have a GUI that you need a Hubble Telescope to see.

Irritates me to no end.
Arturia recommend you purchase an old lower resolution CRT monitor and fully embrace the nostalgic nature of their product.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Irritates me to no end.
I completely agree with this. The UIs are terrible.

Sacrificing usability for graphic authenticity is pointless and daft.

I made the Jupiter 8V a lot more usable by creating a control configuration for it on my Virus TI keyboard. It makes it a pleasure to use.

D.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb View Post
I completely agree with this. The UIs are terrible.

Sacrificing usability for graphic authenticity is pointless and daft.

I made the Jupiter 8V a lot more usable by creating a control configuration for it on my Virus TI keyboard. It makes it a pleasure to use.

D.
This is why I like using AnalogLab/KeyLab and, so at least I get instant hands on control of 8 main parameters and the main envelopes for many presets before having to dig into the tiny UI's for additional tweaks.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

There are some more sound demos here:

Arturia - Overview

Seems to sound nice enough...

D.
Old 3rd December 2014
Gear Nut

Sup Ya'all!

From the demo's they have posted, it doesn't really sound like a Matrix 12 to me. It's missing a lot from what I heard. I have some of the other Arturia synths, and they're so so. I don't use them. If someone is going to model a M12 I think it should be Sonic Projects. I feel they have done the best job of modeling an analog to date. Maybe I should send them an email....

That being said, the Arturia one is always in tune and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm sure for a lot of people it will be ' close enough'.

Arturia: will you stop messing around and make an analog poly for Gods Sake! Because if you don't everyone will be buying the Behringer ones. ;-) LOL!
📝 Reply