The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
About the Maurizio / Rythm & Sound / Basic Channel Sound
Old 30th November 2006
Lives for gear

About the Maurizio / Rythm & Sound / Basic Channel Sound

Moritz Von Oswald productions have always facinated me from his very early Maurizio and Basic Channel releases...It got even more interesting eventually through the Rythm and Sound / Burial mix productions with Tikiman.
Do anybody know how what kind of analog effects were used ? I though i could recognize a Roland Sre555 but i'm not sure....
The common background noise you hear on each release brings the magic out of his productions, it also became his very own distinctive imprint... I'm wondering how it was made....i mean beyond Genius...
Old 2nd December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
Moritz Von Oswald productions have always facinated me from his very early Maurizio and Basic Channel releases...It got even more interesting eventually through the Rythm and Sound / Burial mix productions with Tikiman.
Do anybody know how what kind of analog effects were used ? I though i could recognize a Roland Sre555 but i'm not sure....
The common background noise you hear on each release brings the magic out of his productions, it also became his very own distinctive imprint... I'm wondering how it was made....i mean beyond Genius...

yeah I reckon a lot of the noise would be comming off the space echo, mabe they use really crappy old tapes, its not hard to add noise to recordings... i've added noise from the radio before and filtered it to good effect...

Moritz uses an sp12 or sp1200 as well...
Old 5th December 2006
Lives for gear

Basic Channel is/was brilliant and Maurizio did some fantastic sounding productions. He pushed dub, electronic and techno to new heights and influenced so many producers, then and now. I don't thnk Tresor and techno would be the same now if it wasn't for him. At least not the Berlin/Detroit artists that he came along with him or came along after him. I don't think Jeff Mills, Jaun Atkins, Hawtin and Derrrick May would have had very big careers at all if it weren't for the support they got in Europe. And that support really began with him (and other of course) in Germany.

The problem has always been the lack of information, they took minimal to a whole new extreme. I must have had the "what did he use ? / who is he ? / who did that BC record ?" a couple hundred times over the past 10 years.

Almost no information on production technique except for the fact that he loved vinyl and it took him a long while after they were successful to release anything on cd or tape.

From what I've gather talking to people, who I consider honest and knowledgable, he mixed to tape only (no dat, no digital). The small noises, clicks and pops are many things but he would sample a needle stuck on the inside groove of a record and loop that on roland space echos and/or other analog delays. He was/is very excited in approaching techno music by breaking down the sounds that djs hear all time in a very minimal sense. That rumble and noise of the stylus grinding at the inside artworks on a 12 inch. But he used all kinds of things from what I've been told. Why are the productions so big and open? Cause he's a good producer working with good sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
Old 5th December 2006
Lives for gear

To any curious fellow slut interested to check what we're talking about, listen to the
Rhythm & Sound (RS-07) : Aground / Aerial or Basic Channel (BC 06): Quadrant Dub I/II as best exemples of his works. Dubbyyyy! ...
Old 5th December 2006
Lives for gear

wow yes i am very curious too.. mango drive (the dubby version) is one of my favorite recordings. amazing stuff. the essence. basic channel stuff is awesome too.
Old 12th December 2009
tun
Lives for gear

Just listening to 'king in my empire' right now, that bottom end is awesome!

Where's the worship smiley?
Old 12th December 2009
Gear Maniac

I think the sound of an analog mixer pushed hard is also key...

... and Genius, of course... :-)
Old 12th December 2009
Gear Nut

YESSSS!!!

I've been looking for a Cornell Campbell song for years; I'd heard it at a friends 7/8 or so years ago on a mixed CD, and despite a healthy roots reggae and dub collection (from before ever listening to electronic music or even any modern dub) and searching at Reggae shops every time I'd pass one out of town, no one knew what I was talking about (I'd try to sing the lyrics while getting funny looks from the rasta's).

I heard Rhythm & Sound for the first time on Pandora a few months ago and heard an extremely familiar sound but figured it couldn't be related. Anyway, I just looked up Rhythm & Sound on youtube to see what they're all about, and the song I'd been looking for is first on the list!

I hope I can find this record, thanks for posting! Im stoked, always great to come across a new artist that really speaks to you musically (even after all these years)
Old 12th December 2009
Old 12th December 2009
Gear Head

There's a nice interview with him at the Red Bull Music Academy:

Red Bull Music Academy - Video Archive - Moritz von Oswald

Doesn't really give much away though!

When he played for us I remember he was using an old Vestax digital delay pedal that was pretty noisy. That was DJing though, doubt he used it in any productions.
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for the link, man!
Old 14th December 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
Boomkat has it.

Any chance you've seen 'With the Artists' on vinyl anywhere? They have the single, and then 'With the Artists' on CD only. Either way I'll have a look around and end up with one of 'em, thanks for posting the link
Old 14th December 2009
i know this is gear slutz but i feel it's really down to the rhythm and sounds concept that makes it sound so amazing. this music could really be made on any equipment. you just have to be a genius, that's all ...

obviously they have a great monitoring system as this stuff is mastered to perfection.
Old 14th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DntBelievtheHype View Post
YESSSS!!!

I've been looking for a Cornell Campbell song for years; I'd heard it at a friends 7/8 or so years ago on a mixed CD, and despite a healthy roots reggae and dub collection (from before ever listening to electronic music or even any modern dub) and searching at Reggae shops every time I'd pass one out of town, no one knew what I was talking about (I'd try to sing the lyrics while getting funny looks from the rasta's).

I heard Rhythm & Sound for the first time on Pandora a few months ago and heard an extremely familiar sound but figured it couldn't be related. Anyway, I just looked up Rhythm & Sound on youtube to see what they're all about, and the song I'd been looking for is first on the list!

I hope I can find this record, thanks for posting! Im stoked, always great to come across a new artist that really speaks to you musically (even after all these years)
you could also try the hard wax store in berlin, they have the whole catalogue ..
Old 14th December 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by passivepeter View Post
you could also try the hard wax store in berlin, they have the whole catalogue ..
Ordering the With the Artists Versions LP and King in my Empire 10" now, thanks for pointing me in the right direction
Old 14th December 2009
i think rhythm and sound own the hard wax shop and the studio is in the same building.
a lot of berlin's greatest dj's have worked there at some point ..

hard wax also reissued all the wackies stuff (dub from the bronx!) which is truly amazing and a huge inspiration for the R&S feel.
check the classic album horace andy, dance hall style and the amazing african roots volume one by wackies ..
Old 15th December 2009
Gear Head

More importantly lets talk about Maurizio bass.

How the hell does he get that submerged "water bass" kick in his tracks?? Its a really muffled bottom heavy kick that I keep hearing in his productions most notably the M 1-7 stuff but its saturated almost drenched in water. You hear it too in the guys who work with him like Porter Ricks, Vainquer, T++ basically all of Chain Reaction gang.

Hes a heavyweight undisputed dub champion in my eyes. Check out the breathaking Tony Allen remix. 10 minutes of West Africa bass.

I think people took him out of perspective when he was labeled the "minimal techno" producer or whatever. In that Red Bull Academy video he quiet clearly states he had little interest in Techno after his first few productions, he was always fascinated by Dub, especially dub mixing techniques.
Old 15th December 2009
Gear Maniac

he's God.... :-)

hope he recovers quickly and completely...
Old 15th December 2009
Gear Head

been listening to some rhythm and sound for the last few days. has to be said again, maurizio is amazing.

i'm sure i've seen some pics on here of him playing live

yeah this is the one -----

Old 15th December 2009
Gear Head

This thread fom about a year ago has some discussion on Moritz's live gear...

Moritz Von Oswald Gear
Old 16th December 2009
Gear Nut

Wow...what a great thread. My first exposure to Dub was through a remix of a massive attack album, can't remember the name exactly, but I think it was by Mad Professor. Later, I got into Dub through deep house, specifically Francois K productions. I read an interview with him once and he talked about the "Dub Aesthetic" in house music, and that was it. Deep in Dub ever since. But somehow, I slept on a lot of dub techno. Strange how things work out like that.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but I was wondering if any of you know a good resource for dub production techniques? I set up the sends and returns in ableton so that I can "play" them like I would faders in synth, but otherwise, I pretty much just use delays, reverbs, flangers, and phasers in different combinations. The end result might be considered dubby, but not really quite like where the inspiration comes from.
Old 16th December 2009
[QUOTE=shaolinsoul;4888520]More importantly lets talk about Maurizio bass.

i was just trying to point out some of the influences that people may not be aware of insted of just writing pedestrian comments ...
Old 16th December 2009
Gear Addict

Really nice that Moritz von Osvald video. I think some of his message got lost in the language barrier, but nevertheless interesting.

How I interpreted it, was that not only he is gifted, but he's also had a professional and hard working attitude.

There may be talents out there who has potential but can maybe never finish a proper track, because of laziness, lack of goal-orientation, losing perspective of own work etc.

He's sound is of course analog gear and analog (live) mixing. And analog sounds richer than digital, like he says in the interview. I wouldn't put too much weight on knowing exactly what gear he used.
Old 16th December 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1353 View Post
Really nice that Moritz von Osvald video. I think some of his message got lost in the language barrier, but nevertheless interesting.

How I interpreted it, was that not only he is gifted, but he's also had a professional and hard working attitude.

There may be talents out there who has potential but can maybe never finish a proper track, because of laziness, lack of goal-orientation, losing perspective of own work etc.
i didn't hear him use the word laziness and although he mentions discipline he warned or perhaps highlighted a few times the problems of rushing tracks.
Old 17th December 2009
[QUOTE=DntBelievtheHype;4879710]YESSSS!!!

+1 my favorite ...amazing production. everything theses guys have ever done has been magic. Basic Channel and all their incarnations are by far some of the most quality production ever, so simple yet so effective. love the tape hiss.... i could go on for hours.
Old 17th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by galisteo View Post
i didn't hear him use the word laziness and although he mentions discipline he warned or perhaps highlighted a few times the problems of rushing tracks.
No he didn't mention laziness, but talked about "giving time" to a track. That was the highlight of the interview for me. And of course finally seeing who Maurizio is. He talked a lot but didn't really say concrete things that much.
Old 17th December 2009
Gear Maniac

The Maurizio project is both Von Oswald and Enrnestus.
Same thing as Basic Channel and Rhythm and Sound.
They've always worked together on that stuff.
Old 17th December 2009
Gear Maniac

A bit of history here:

Basic Channel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 22nd December 2009
Gear Head

Hey dudes, just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I never listened to this guy before but after reading this I was intruiged and picked up some Basic Channel releases an also some Rhythym and Sound stuff and I am REALLY digging the sparse, hypnotic landscapes. It's given me a lot of inspiration already. Can anybody recommend some more stuff in this minimalistic aesthetic? Either techno or dub or...? Thanks!
Old 22nd December 2009
Gear Head

Check Vainqueuer's stuff on Chain Reaction, he has also released as Rene Lowe.

For more recent releases try Echospace

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search