The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
About the Maurizio / Rythm & Sound / Basic Channel Sound
Old 22nd December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
anything on their Chain Reaction label

Deepchord, Echospace, etc (probably the most popular B.C. clones)

Dublicator (good stuff, lots free online)

(many others...)
Old 22nd December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyPantsZero View Post
Hey dudes, just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I never listened to this guy before but after reading this I was intruiged and picked up some Basic Channel releases an also some Rhythym and Sound stuff and I am REALLY digging the sparse, hypnotic landscapes. It's given me a lot of inspiration already. Can anybody recommend some more stuff in this minimalistic aesthetic? Either techno or dub or...? Thanks!
Check: Pole - the yellow album
A masterpiece!
Old 23rd December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't usually like stuff that's too loopy but I could listen to this all day.

Him and Robert Hood, minimal masters
Old 11th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I think he says very important things at 46:50.
Old 12th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_KPX View Post
yeah I reckon a lot of the noise would be comming off the space echo, mabe they use really crappy old tapes, its not hard to add noise to recordings... i've added noise from the radio before and filtered it to good effect...

Moritz uses an sp12 or sp1200 as well...

Or you can just record nothing really loud and add chorus and flanger!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i use to work for Asphodel Records/Studios (we put out w/ the artists and versions) and I remember those records getting heavy rotation in the offices. in fact one of the pieces was, iirc, on the demo we would run on our surround sound room (recombinant media labs). i never came in contact with any of the rhythm and sound personnel but i can ask some former colleagues about equipment. wonderful stuff nonetheless.

-matia
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
just like "M4" posted above, i could listen to this one all day long...

Old 25th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hey, just registered to reply to this thread.

I have sunk in deep into Dub Techno, and especially into Rythm&Sound & Co.

I am still trying to find out how this Kick & Bass sounds like it sounds.

What is the secret to this?
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Yeah that stuff is the bomb innit.. Sound of my youth

Don't forget both these dudes still releasing music, here's just two examples from their more recent releases which reminice on the old sounds

Check both of these albums, highly recommended! (Check especially the Moriz Von Oswald record, it might surprise you and introduce another side to the artist )
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
That new stuff is great and all, but they've abandoned my favorite part of the old stuff which is that signature hifi lofi analog filth of tracks like Carrier, Imprint, Starlight Moritz mix, etc.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridal View Post
Hey, just registered to reply to this thread.

I have sunk in deep into Dub Techno, and especially into Rythm&Sound & Co.

I am still trying to find out how this Kick & Bass sounds like it sounds.

What is the secret to this?
It helps to have an all analog setup.
Analog drum machines and synths with lots of FX units. Sound source starts out round and thick.

As for the Bass hitting in that way.
Vintage compression at the mastering stage is how I do it myself.

Just wrote these 5 tracks this week. You may appreciate them:
Here for the gear

wow, very nice! listening to it right now!

interesting, can you elaborate a bit more on "Vintage compression at the mastering stage" ?

you mean like sidechain compressing the whole track minus the bass to the bass?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantB View Post
That new stuff is great and all, but they've abandoned my favorite part of the old stuff which is that signature hifi lofi analog filth of tracks like Carrier, Imprint, Starlight Moritz mix, etc.
I have to agree. Which is sad as they were unimpeachable for so long. And all the knockoffs of that sound have always been third rate at best in my eyes. There are some who developed their own interesting sound but it doesn’t have that same grimy hiss and whatnot.
Old 26th November 2020
Gear Addict

hard to believe it's almost been thirty years since.

Moritz and Ernestus were the last great innovators in techno. think of how literally almost everything since then has been a derivative, usually of just one element of the sound.

what's equally amazing is in that 30 years the secret of the sound remains...a secret. the knockoffs (there were many) just put minor chords through a delay, but bc was on a different level artistically completely.

for interest, 30 years is the amount of time between chuck berry and acid house, or sergeant pepper and detroit techno.

that's how stagnant electronic music is now.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonrider View Post
Moritz and Ernestus were the last great innovators in techno. think of how literally almost everything since then has been a derivative, usually of just one element of the sound.
Yeah they certainly cast a very long shadow...

I remember when I was making this stuff back in mid 90s and people started telling me to check out this guy "Maurizio" and his stuff as I was doing the same kind of thing. Maybe send my tracks over. I didn't hear any basic channel/M records etc until about a year later.
I was in high school at the time and bought a heap of analog gear to make electronic music. Jupiters, 101s, 909, 606 etc etc.
Recorded everything to to 4 track. No money left over for vinyl and was into playing live.
Besides I thought DJ'ing was "cheating". Hahaha.

Good old days of the 90s.

It did get to me for a while all comparisons.
My old album Empire was my attempt at that time to go in a completely polar opposite direction to R&S. Clean, Hifi and zero compression.

Comparisons kept happening since so much that I basically accept it by now. Its not like write music for anyone else.
I make Dub/minimal-experiments because I love it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonrider View Post
hard to believe it's almost been thirty years since.

what's equally amazing is in that 30 years the secret of the sound remains...a secret. the knockoffs (there were many) just put minor chords through a delay, but bc was on a different level artistically completely.

for interest, 30 years is the amount of time between chuck berry and acid house, or sergeant pepper and detroit techno.

that's how stagnant electronic music is now.
It’s all music that is stagnant now. Everything is just iterations of more edited and corrected and compressed versions of what came before. Very boring.
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridal View Post
wow, very nice! listening to it right now!

interesting, can you elaborate a bit more on "Vintage compression at the mastering stage" ?

you mean like sidechain compressing the whole track minus the bass to the bass?
Glad you like it.

For that sub bass that comes in and kind of pushes the whole track, that is the sound of the compression characteristics of certain older hardware units.
No sidechain to the kick or anything like that. Its over the whole mix and has a different but similar vibe.
Mango Drive is a good example of this sound.

I had a machine custom built for my own music made by an old engineer who built hardware for some of the big label owned studios back in the 70s and 80s.
I use it for my Dub tracks to get the bass and kick to make the track breathe.

Here following on with my example above is the raw mix off the desk and then a heavy dose of compression applied so you can hear the way the kick and bass both change shape and compress, dimming the details of the track.

I have exaggerated it a bit to make it more obvious.
Attached Files

Temple No Compression.wav (4.56 MB, 349 views)

Temple with Compression.wav (5.76 MB, 341 views)

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NawSon View Post
I have to agree. Which is sad as they were unimpeachable for so long. And all the knockoffs of that sound have always been third rate at best in my eyes. There are some who developed their own interesting sound but it doesn’t have that same grimy hiss and whatnot.
I dont agree. I think the new stuff is excellent as well and proves they never needed the hiss etc to begin with, the tracks would had been great regardless. Both of them are just good writers and soundsmiths, and to me their new stuff sounds just as inspiring (in a different way).
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
I dont agree. I think the new stuff is excellent as well and proves they never needed the hiss etc to begin with, the tracks would had been great regardless. Both of them are just good writers and soundsmiths, and to me their new stuff sounds just as inspiring (in a different way).
Yeah the sound of the new Zähl AM1 is way way different to the very colored noisy Speck desk.
Super clean and headroom for days.

Total change to the core sound.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
It just feels not as special. It’s clearly well done, they are not joking around when it comes to skills and taste. But it used to feel like any new thing coming from them was beamed here from another galaxy or something. Now it sounds like DAW music. It makes me a little sad.
📝 Reply