The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sennheiser HD 650 for mixing
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake View Post
You can try an amp (I use SPL Control2) or software with crossfeed, I'd also recommend SonarWorks for HD650 users to iron out any frequency bumps.

Sonarworks + crossfeed + HD650 = : )
I have Sonarworks. What do you call crossfeed?
Show replies
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spnc View Post
I have Sonarworks. What do you call crossfeed?
Crossfeed is simply the process of feeding a little of the left channel into the right and a little of the right channel into the left.

This happens naturally with listening on monitors - your left ear can - of course - hear the right speaker . . . and your right ear can hear the left speaker.

But when using earphones the left and right channel are entirely separated . . . your left ear can't hear anything playing in the right channel (and visa versa).

This hard separation of channels has varying effects on how you perceive all sorts of things from panning (obviously) to reverbs, even EQ settings.

With something like the Control2 from SPL you have a crossfeed function, which allows you to feed as much or as little of each channel into the opposite one.

The effect is surprising, it really does make your headphones sound like you are mixing on monitors . . . a number of times I have been mixing late at night on HD650s, with the crossfeed on . . . and in a sudden moment of panic I've thought that I've left the speakers on, blasting away at 3 in the morning, it really does fool your brain - so I've ripped my headphones off only to find the speakers are silent, I then realise I've got crossfeed on . . . even years later I've never got used to this, I still to this day occasionally remove my headphones just to check the monitors are not on, the effect still fools me to this day.

Search crossfeed plugin for software versions.
Show replies
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake View Post
Crossfeed is simply the process of feeding a little of the left channel into the right and a little of the right channel into the left.

This happens naturally with listening on monitors - your left ear can - of course - hear the right speaker . . . and your right ear can hear the left speaker.

But when using earphones the left and right channel are entirely separated . . . your left ear can't hear anything playing in the right channel (and visa versa).

This hard separation of channels has varying effects on how you perceive all sorts of things from panning (obviously) to reverbs, even EQ settings.

With something like the Control2 from SPL you have a crossfeed function, which allows you to feed as much or as little of each channel into the opposite one.

The effect is surprising, it really does make your headphones sound like you are mixing on monitors . . . a number of times I have been mixing late at night on HD650s, with the crossfeed on . . . and in a sudden moment of panic I've thought that I've left the speakers on, blasting away at 3 in the morning, it really does fool your brain - so I've ripped my headphones off only to find the speakers are silent, I then realise I've got crossfeed on . . . even years later I've never got used to this, I still to this day occasionally remove my headphones just to check the monitors are not on, the effect still fools me to this day.

Search crossfeed plugin for software versions.
Thank you so much very insightful.

Re my previous issue, it turns out it's nothing to do with the driver but the pad/fitting differences (I think my two ears shapes are imperfect which was adding to this feeling as well xD - these are my first pair of open-back). I inverted the left and right cable and the cushions too. It's now fine my perception of sound is evened out. So what they said is true, you get what you pay for (romanian standards...) *sigh* I'd rather pay more for a premium version of the HD 650 and get rid of all that cheap plastic this is the only weak spot of this headphone IMO.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spnc View Post
I'd rather pay more for a premium version of the HD 650 and get rid of all that cheap plastic this is the only weak spot of this headphone IMO.
This is unfortunately an issue with the HD650, they tend to break at the top (at the middle) of the plastic headband. At work we have about 20 of these and after a few years many of them have broken or have small cracks in that position. This was not the case with the older Sennheisers, before HD600, those were made of a more flexible plastic quality.
Show replies
📝 Reply