The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg Dw8000 or Poly 61?
Old 21st October 2014
Lives for gear

Korg Dw8000 or Poly 61?

Both are up for sale at close to the same price, can't decide which way to go!

Poly- true Korg analog goodness. No MIDI.

DW- MIDI keyboard (I've only got 2 octaves now). Decent sounds?

Both look to be in good shape, haven't seen them in person tho. Programming each will take getting used to, so that's a non-issue.

So, which one?
Old 21st October 2014
Lives for gear

Given the choice of the 2, it would be DW8000 for me.

Poly 61 is like a JP6 to me. It basically doesn't sound that good from the start.

imo.
Old 21st October 2014
Gear Addict

DW-8000 all the way.
Old 21st October 2014
Lives for gear

So the DW8000 is 2 for 2. Thanks!
Old 21st October 2014
Lives for gear

Listen whole way through this demo below. One of the best synth bargains about atm.

Old 21st October 2014
Lives for gear

DW8000 for sure, it's just the better synth. If I had to choose one.

The Poly 61 is kind of interesting though. It reminds me of the Polysix only not as good. (My experience is only with the Legacy Collection VST, YMMV). I think the only parts it shares with the P6 are the ENVs. Osc 1 is nice and analog but Osc 2 is that weird kind of modulated Casio digital pulse wave they had in the Poly800. (Its sawtooth even sounds like a pulse wave.) Mind those can be kind of cool too. Different filters from the Polysix. The Poly 61, Poly 800 and DW8000 all have the same filter chips. But the DW8000 sounds best by far.

The DW8000 just sounds wonderful. Plus MIDI and that lovely digital delay and the batteries don't explode.
Old 22nd October 2014
Lives for gear

I had a DW-8000 years ago and loved it. I saw many people selling their 61's then. They just were not the Poly SIX. Yes the 61 was kinda digital sounding and thin in a bad way....
Old 22nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilita View Post
The Poly 61, Poly 800 and DW8000 all have the same filter chips. But the DW8000 sounds best by far.
The filters in the Poly 61 are actually 2 pole, based on the later revision MS-20 (with the OTA filters, not the Korg 35 ones). The others (also including the DSS-1) use the NJM2069, which is completely different.
Old 22nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Dw all the way - it's fab, the poly61 is like a rubbish scaled down polysix.
Old 22nd October 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by acreil View Post
The filters in the Polysix are actually 2 pole, based on the later revision MS-20 \
You mean the poly 61?
Old 22nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by prontold View Post
You mean the poly 61?
yeah, I fixed it, thanks for noticing
Old 22nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Not that i am advocating to get the 61 over the DW, but i got curious and looked up the 61 on youtube.

Musictrackjp makes it sound quite good, actually - certainly less thin than i would have expected from the comments here.
Old 22nd October 2014
Gear Maniac
Couldn't be more different sounding, make sure those voicing their opinions have actually possessed both or have both (i do).

I u need raw analogue sounds then poly 61 sounds big (albiet not as versatile) like a prophet (not the new junk, i mean a 5)

If you want a digital sound w lots off cool wave forms to throw through a decent anal filter than the 8000.

So so diff in sound.

If I could have only one it'd be the poly 61.
Old 22nd October 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexkon View Post
If you want a digital sound w lots off cool wave forms to throw through a decent anal filter...
How do you feel the anal filter in the DW8000 compares to these?

Old 22nd October 2014
Gear Maniac
DW. I have both.
Old 22nd October 2014
The 61 doesn't sound digital. It sounds quite analog and very raw/biting. Editing is easy, because it's so simple. Very good synth! So if people like the DW8k even more, I'm really interested in trying it. Edit: And yes, the filter in the P61 was a one-off. It's really unique, and the resonance adds a ton of flavor.
Old 22nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexkon View Post
Couldn't be more different sounding, make sure those voicing their opinions have actually possessed both or have both (i do).

I u need raw analogue sounds then poly 61 sounds big (albiet not as versatile) like a prophet (not the new junk, i mean a 5)

If you want a digital sound w lots off cool wave forms to throw through a decent anal filter than the 8000.

So so diff in sound.

If I could have only one it'd be the poly 61.
So I suppose you have a Poly 61 and a DW8000 and a Prophet 5 and Prophet 08 and your opinion is fully informed and not biased.

Back to the topic: Well, I don't have a Poly 61, I've heard some nice demos of it, IMO it sounds decent but not particularly good and I would never think to compare it to a Prophet 5. Also IMO P08 eats Poly 61 for breakfast. DW/EX-8000 sounds also a million times better and indeed very analog. Its anal filter is the key!
Old 22nd October 2014
Gear Maniac

DW8000 all the way.
Old 22nd October 2014
I think I need to make a decent Poly61 demo video!
Old 23rd October 2014
Lives for gear
I don't have a DW8000 , but I just recently sold my PolySix and kept my Poly61.
There is a raw quality to the 61 that is great and it can move some serious air.

This is coming from someone who owns a Prophet 5, MemoryMoog and a tonne of other junk.
Old 23rd October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acreil View Post
The filters in the Poly 61 are actually 2 pole, based on the later revision MS-20 (with the OTA filters, not the Korg 35 ones). The others (also including the DSS-1) use the NJM2069, which is completely different.
Huh. I thought it was an NJM2069 in the 61 and that was based on the OTA filters. I must have been confused.
Old 23rd October 2014
Gear Addict

I picked up a Poly 61 last week and the first thing I done was installed Analogue Audios patches, they totally take the synth into another realm. Some really nice ones including a credible Moog bass and some Prophet recreations (much better than Korgs factory ones). Really nice sound - gutsy, melancholic, raw, nostalgic, warm etc. Its so damn easy to use and the chord generator is very nice. Had mine reconditioned with the new battery, wooden sides, general service etc. Great for old school house music
Old 23rd October 2014
Lives for gear

I disagree with most of you.. I think the Poly 61 has a great tone right away..it doesn't sound thin and the filter is really nice.
Old 23rd October 2014
Lives for gear

To be fair, some of the demo's of the Poly 61 sound quite good, however, it just sounds very similar to the Poly800 to my ears.

I'm sure I read a thread once where they said the Poly61 was going to be a pretty decent synth, but got cut down and down in the board room and became a watered down version of something pretty decent.

Its still an ok synth, but the DW8000 just trumps it in almost every dept imho.

Both synths would have been alot more interesting with front panel knobs and sliders as opposed to the similar data entry method they both employ.
Old 23rd October 2014
Between the two, the DW would be my choice because it sounds unlike any other synth I've owned. I miss mine. I basically threw it away ages ago in a trade in. Had I known any electronics at the time, it probably could have been salvaged with just a new battery. I never really cared for the Poly 61, but that's entirely up to personal preference.

The DW Keyboard was clacky as anything, but that's the case with a lot of the older Korgs, IMO. Can probably be solved with new felt if you get one.

Alternative

Another thing to consider for that old Korg sound is a Polysix with the KiwiSix mod. I'm working on that kind of restoration right now. The Kiwisix adds a ton of features, fixes the battery issue, and adds MIDI. Total synth cost can get around $1000 USD if you pick a Polysix with a bad battery and board (usually between $350 and $500 on ebay) and work up from there.

Kiwisix (I bought the bundle that includes the new power board)
KiwiSix Upgrade for the Korg PolySix

Synthgraphics replacement overlay (I have one, and it's quality stuff)
Korg Kiwisix overlay for Polysix

If you do go that route, make sure the Polysix you get has intact button tops. You can replace the underlying switches of any non-working buttons with some simple soldering, but the caps/tops are nearly impossible to find.

Pete
Old 23rd October 2014
The P61 has more functionality than you'd expect. It's worth mentioning that you can easily remove the spring in the joystick, and you essentially get an adjustable mod bus for LFO 2. So that's 2 independent LFOs with 2 destinations. Not too bad.
Old 23rd October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
I disagree with most of you.. I think the Poly 61 has a great tone right away..it doesn't sound thin and the filter is really nice.
I don't think it sounds "thin" at all. I think they sound good. (Mine came with zero presets too) But I think the DW8000 is way better.
Old 23rd October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilita View Post
Huh. I thought it was an NJM2069 in the 61 and that was based on the OTA filters. I must have been confused.
The NJM2069 undoubtedly uses OTAs internally, but the 2 pole Poly 61/MS-20 filter is a really unusual topology.
Old 23rd October 2014
Lives for gear

Interesting, thanks.
Old 3rd February 2016
Gear Head

i often read how easy it is, but how exactly do i remove the spring? how do i get the spring out of the housing of the potentiometer?

glad for any help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwalky View Post
The P61 has more functionality than you'd expect. It's worth mentioning that you can easily remove the spring in the joystick, and you essentially get an adjustable mod bus for LFO 2. So that's 2 independent LFOs with 2 destinations. Not too bad.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search