The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg Dw8000 or Poly 61?
Old 5th February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRL View Post
Apparently eBay sellers think a poly 61 is worth between $650 - 1500. Take off a 0 and maybe..
Yeesh. There's one on kijiji in my neck of the woods going for $1,100. I think I got mine for less than $300 back in 1997.

Makes me think it's worth the cost of getting it repaired.
Old 5th February 2016
Lives for gear

Poly 61 is a fun little synth, but certainly not worth a whole lot of money. Prices are only going up because of the 9 million no-hopers who want to be Boards of Canada. Expect prices to fall when they start looking for a voice of their own (or just give up and job and start a family or something ).

I'm not a massive fan of either of these synths (I think the DW-8000 is one of those synths that perhaps tend to be a little overrated on synth forums), but they can certainly be useful for some things, and they CAN both make sounds that I kinda like. My favorite thing about them, however, is their awesome 80s looks. I think I'd be happy to have them again just for that, actually.
Old 5th February 2016
Lives for gear

The DW was going for $175 at the time and got snapped up before I could get to it. :( The Poly was going for around $350 and it likewise got sold. I just didn't quite have enough at the time, about a week later and I'd have auditioned them. Ended up going in a completely different direction and picked up a Mirage. What can I say, I like samplers ( my first "synth" was a sampler: EPS 16+).
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
Given the choice of the 2, it would be DW8000 for me.

Poly 61 is like a JP6 to me. It basically doesn't sound that good from the start.

imo.
Orbital would disagree.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Given the choice of the 2, it would be DW8000 for me.

Poly 61 is like a JP6 to me. It basically doesn't sound that good from the start.

imo.
and then six years later, he runs off and buys a Jupiter 6

< deleted by moderator - point was already made >

Last edited by Reptil; 3 days ago at 10:59 AM.. Reason: -
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
and then six years later, he runs off and buys a Jupiter 6 :cop
Perhaps you missed the bit at the start where I admitted this about the basic one I tried (which incidentally Don Solaris also suggested I pass on) and said the Europa, condition and cost changed my mind and I was prepared to give it another go.

Also seem to remember you dissing the 61 years back, then saw you recommending it recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
< deleted by moderator - point was already made >
< deleted by moderator - not needed >

Last edited by Reptil; 3 days ago at 11:00 AM.. Reason: -
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

The DW-8000's delay is similar to the Poly 800 mk11 and the DSS-1, they are all phase inverted on one channel giving that distinctive very spacey sound (sort of Haas effect). This tech was carried over from the SDD series of rackmount delays which were also phase inverted (also other delays had design this in the 80's such as ibanez)

It's a wonderful sounding delay but may cancel out if listened to in mono

As for the battery replacement in the DW, it's a lot easier than you may think.

If you genitally pull on the battery the posts it's attached to will extend slightly, you can then cut the battery away from the circuit board with wire cutters, you then have two nice chunky posts to solder onto so you don't need to actually go that near to the board with your iron. The + and - are clearly marked so you just solder 2 wires onto these posts and attach a battery holder with a CR2032 battery, superglue the holder into place next to the board and you're done

Now if you do this quickly (I took about 20 mins on my Poly 800 Mk11) I think you may still retain the presets as they are held for a while in one of the capacitors, but this could vary, mine did retain the presets !
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORCHESTRION View Post
The DW-8000's delay is similar to the Poly 800 mk11 and the DSS-1, they are all phase inverted on one channel giving that distinctive very spacey sound (sort of Haas effect). This tech was carried over from the SDD series of rackmount delays which were also phase inverted (also other delays had design this in the 80's such as ibanez)

It's a wonderful sounding delay but may cancel out if listened to in mono

I have never used a Poly 800 MK2. Does it have the same parameter control as the DW over the delay? I though it was a very simple affair? Had no idea they were related.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I have never used a Poly 800 MK2. Does it have the same parameter control as the DW over the delay? I though it was a very simple affair? Had no idea they were related.

They are essentially the same delays although the DW has more controls, they both sound very similar to the SDD-1000
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search