The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Portable midi keyboard!
Old 12th October 2014
Here for the gear

Portable midi keyboard!

Hi guys!
Since I'm moving out for work and I cannot take my 61 keys keyboard with me I'd like to buy a new one smaller..
I saw a couple of model and I ended up with these ones: (in order of preference)
Alesis V25
http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/media.../v25_weblg.jpg

M audio Oxygen 25 mk4
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzAwWDcwMA...tT46gf/$_1.JPG

Akai mpk mini mk2
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODAwWDgwMA...hT1nRE/$_1.JPG

M audio axiom air mini 32
http://static.fnac-static.com/multim...526/1507-1.jpg

I'd need 32 keys but 25 are good too, also pitch bend and pads are useful. I really like the new alesis v25, but it seems it isn't for sale yet..
I produce progressive/electro house.
What do you suggest? Thank you
Old 13th October 2014
Old 13th October 2014
Gear Head

When I purchased something off eBay earlier in the year, the guy chucked in an Akai LPK25 for free. I'm going traveling in January so it was really ideal for me to have something very portable like this. Unfortunately it didn't come with the USB cable and I've not yet had a need to get one just yet so I've not used it just yet - I am playing to test it out this weekend though.

Have a look online, it might be a bit 'too' portable for you but if not feel free to message me and I'll let you know how it is once I've had a go.
Old 13th October 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaleForce View Post
When I purchased something off eBay earlier in the year, the guy chucked in an Akai LPK25 for free. I'm going traveling in January so it was really ideal for me to have something very portable like this. Unfortunately it didn't come with the USB cable and I've not yet had a need to get one just yet so I've not used it just yet - I am playing to test it out this weekend though.

Have a look online, it might be a bit 'too' portable for you but if not feel free to message me and I'll let you know how it is once I've had a go.
thank you GaleForce! let me know how you feel with the keyboard please.. The mpk mini I'd like to buy has the same keyboard as the lpk, so..
Old 13th October 2014
I have a Korg MicroKey for when traveling or killing time in a coffee shop and I absolutely love it. It just works, I like the joystick, it records velocity........and honestly, it is the best MIDI keyboard I've ever owned. I've only had a couple of different M-Audio offerings otherwise which were terrible.

http://www.korg.com/us/products/controllers/microkey/

It is VERY small though and has mini keys.......but it fits in my back pack with my laptop, cans, and USB hub full of dongles. Does the job......can work out my musical idea easily. At home I use full size keys though.

Edit: Also got the entire Korg Legacy Collection for $99 with it. Sweet! I love the M1, MS-20, and Monopoly. Use them all the time. It comes with a multiFX unit too which has some really nice modulation capabilities. Great deal.
Old 14th October 2014
Here for the gear

37 keys could be more comfortable, but they'll be useless when I come back home. If I buy something with knobs and pads I can still use them next to my keystation 61..
Old 14th October 2014
NMC
Here for the gear
Akai Mini mk2 looks good. How about Novation Impulse 25 ?
Old 14th October 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMC View Post
Akai Mini mk2 looks good. How about Novation Impulse 25 ?
Just saw the launchey 25, it's cheaper than the impulse and it looks like the one for me, but both are a little bit too big.. hmmm
Old 14th October 2014 | Show parent
NMC
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWayw View Post
Just saw the launchey 25, it's cheaper than the impulse and it looks like the one for me, but both are a little bit too big.. hmmm
Launchkey is 30$ cheaper here than Impulse , so price isnt dealbreaker. But for size, try akai mini than. Its cheaper and smaller
Old 15th October 2014
Gear Addict

To me the king of portable midi controllers is the korg microkontrol. Unfortunately they are discontinued, but they are still floating around on ebay. 37 keys (mini unfortunately), but its got 16 pads, 8 faders, 8 encoders, LED screens, and a joystick. If you know how to MIDI map, this thing is pretty capable.

If your in the use, GC has one listed used here

Old 15th October 2014
NMC
Here for the gear
This one looks bulletproof. And 37 keys - nice!!
Old 15th October 2014
Here for the gear

Hey there,

I am new here, but I have experience with both of these:

"Akai mpk mini mk2
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODAwWDgwMA...hT1nRE/$_1.JPG"

great keyboard, not many keys but functions very well as a controller, easy software makes everything totally re-assignable, and easily recognized with most software...downside is that it has a really weak USB jack and if you so much as breathe on it it breaks off inside the unit, and is very difficult to fix. The LPD trigger pads have the same issue. Apparently Akai has known about this for years but nothing has changed (see the customer service forums, which are the same as the forums for M-Audio below, as they are now part of the same Giant Company inMusic Brands...)
Otherwise, I loved this controller but eventually mine broke as everyone's seems to, and of course, just before I was set to begin a concert...

This is what I purchased on tour after the Akai broke. This thing, well it has a lot of keys (mini keys, but a lot of them) and seems more solid BUT as a midi controller it is very very dicey. assignments constantly move around...all midi data by default sends on the same channel and even after you reassign it reassigns itself to its defaults (meaning knobs get confused, everything controls everything else). the documentation in the manual and online as to how to change midi assignments is in fact totally wrong, and in fact the trigger pads only output midiNotes but cannot be set to output CC (so if you are used to using the pads to turn things on or off, or to trigger samples (many people use these for drum sounds for example) you can't without also getting a midi note too (and a loud one because they send velocity also and people have a habit of hitting those trigger pads) so that means that a very loud unwanted note comes out of your synthesizer while trying to trigger another event...not great...and the customer service is pretty much the worst. I really recommend avoiding M-audio stuff these days, especially if it has "air" in the title. Ah, also, the Hypercontrol features, advertised to provide presets for a number of common softwares dont seem to work either (have a look on the forums).

good luck!
Old 15th October 2014
Lives for gear

I vote for the KMI QuNexus. It's tiny, rugged as heck and the little rubber keys are surprisingly easy and fun to play. Probably smaller/ less featured than you're after but it fits in a laptop bag!
Old 15th October 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaptain View Post
To me the king of portable midi controllers is the korg microkontrol. Unfortunately they are discontinued, but they are still floating around on ebay. 37 keys (mini unfortunately), but its got 16 pads, 8 faders, 8 encoders, LED screens, and a joystick. If you know how to MIDI map, this thing is pretty capable.

For sure that's the king of portable midi controllers, but my budget is like 1/3 of it haha also I'd prefer something under 20 inches in length.. don't you guys think it's a little bit too long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalman View Post
Hey there,

I am new here, but I have experience with both of these:

"Akai mpk mini mk2
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODAwWDgwMA...hT1nRE/$_1.JPG"

great keyboard, not many keys but functions very well as a controller, easy software makes everything totally re-assignable, and easily recognized with most software...downside is that it has a really weak USB jack and if you so much as breathe on it it breaks off inside the unit, and is very difficult to fix. The LPD trigger pads have the same issue. Apparently Akai has known about this for years but nothing has changed (see the customer service forums, which are the same as the forums for M-Audio below, as they are now part of the same Giant Company inMusic Brands...)
Otherwise, I loved this controller but eventually mine broke as everyone's seems to, and of course, just before I was set to begin a concert...

This is what I purchased on tour after the Akai broke. This thing, well it has a lot of keys (mini keys, but a lot of them) and seems more solid BUT as a midi controller it is very very dicey. assignments constantly move around...all midi data by default sends on the same channel and even after you reassign it reassigns itself to its defaults (meaning knobs get confused, everything controls everything else). the documentation in the manual and online as to how to change midi assignments is in fact totally wrong, and in fact the trigger pads only output midiNotes but cannot be set to output CC (so if you are used to using the pads to turn things on or off, or to trigger samples (many people use these for drum sounds for example) you can't without also getting a midi note too (and a loud one because they send velocity also and people have a habit of hitting those trigger pads) so that means that a very loud unwanted note comes out of your synthesizer while trying to trigger another event...not great...and the customer service is pretty much the worst. I really recommend avoiding M-audio stuff these days, especially if it has "air" in the title. Ah, also, the Hypercontrol features, advertised to provide presets for a number of common softwares dont seem to work either (have a look on the forums).

good luck!
Thank you man I'll stay away from "air" stuff.. a friend of mine has the oxygen25 (3rd gen), maybe it's too big to take it off from your backpack when you're outside, but it seems pretty good though. I think i'll wait for some reviews of the new mpk mini or the alesis v25.
Old 15th October 2014 | Show parent
NMC
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaptain View Post

I just found one in town near me. Now I'm itchy for it to use it as master key on my desk. (I guess keys are small like on microkorg ?)
How hard is it to set it up for Cubase 5 ? Does it comes with some sort of automap ??
Old 15th October 2014
Lives for gear

>also I'd prefer something under 20 inches in length.. don't you guys think it's a little bit too long?

That's what she said lol

Of these, I'd probably get the MPK Mini, I don't rate the keys but I think the Akai mini drum pads are great. Or the Launchkey. The Korgs are nice too.
Old 15th October 2014
Here for the gear

lol I'll probably get that one.. I needed a midi kb very soon, but I think i'll have to wait christmas for some alesis v25/vi25 reviews and for better prices in general.. Thank you all guys!! Greetings from Italy!!
Old 15th October 2014
Gear Head

KMI QuNexus. You can fit it in a laptop bag, and it makes for a nice mini keyboard you can lay on top of your main one live.
Old 16th October 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad3d View Post
KMI QuNexus. You can fit it in a laptop bag, and it makes for a nice mini keyboard you can lay on top of your main one live.
this one has been suggested many times, but it's just useless to me...
πŸ“ Reply