The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What does Wet/Dry mean?
Old 21st August 2014
Gear Head

What does Wet/Dry mean?

Hi everyone

Could someone explain to me precisely what (i.e. for a reverb or delay) Wet/Dry means.

I always thought Wet means you can hear the effect and dry means you can't hear the effect. But I'm not quite sure if that's right.

Thank you!
Old 21st August 2014

Do you have a sink nearby?
Old 21st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paeo View Post
Hi everyone

Could someone explain to me precisely what (i.e. for a reverb or delay) Wet/Dry means.

I always thought Wet means you can hear the effect and dry means you can't hear the effect. But I'm not quite sure if that's right.

Thank you!
That's right.
Old 21st August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

Nope
Old 21st August 2014
Lives for gear

You can choose to mix the dry signal (no effect) with the wet signal (which is 100 doused in reverb or delay) so you can have a teeny bit of reverb, or a metric ****ton, which is a bit more than a metric ****load.
Old 21st August 2014
Lives for gear
Dry is the input signal, Wet is the output (effected) signal, a Wet/Dry knob controls the mix of the two.
Old 21st August 2014
Lives for gear

Old 21st August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimwolf View Post
Dry is the input signal, Wet is the output (effected) signal, a Wet/Dry knob controls the mix of the two.
..than what?

(sorry, I had to)

((Edit: aaand beaten by Signifier))

Last edited by hgigh; 21st August 2014 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: beaten
Old 21st August 2014
Lives for gear

Old 22nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Everyone has been saying the correct things, but just to be clear, "100% wet" means 0% original dry signal. If you use a reverb plugin after your instrument and you set it to 100% wet, you won't be hearing any of the original signal (only the reverberations).

This setting is often useless if you set up a reverb as per above, but very useful if you are bussing to a reverb, where the dry signal is still coming from the original track, and where you can use the reverb track fader to adjust the total amount of reverb sound.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear