The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Pink Floyd "Wish you were here" synth?
Old 10th August 2014
Pink Floyd "Wish you were here" synth?

Anyone know what synth they used at 3:00? It sounds like horns, very warm lovely tone. You can hear it again at 3:52 holding chords.
Old 10th August 2014
Gear Addict
I was able to determine that the following synths/keyboard instruments were used on the Wish You Were Here album:
Arp Solina
Wurlitzer EP-200
Minimoog
EMS Synthi Hi-Fli Guitar synth
Hammond B-3/c-3 organ
EMS VCS3 Synthi AKS synth
Hohner CLavinet D6

Via:http://sparebricks.fika.org/sbzine28...ear-rev156.pdf
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Mmm. Sounds a bit like a CS 80 to me... problem is, the CS 80 wasn't out yet at the time. The only synth capable of 'true' polyphony in 1975 was the GX-1. It could be, but I have my doubts.

So I vote for the simpler solution: Overdubbed Minimoogs.
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

they used a vcs3 (ems synthi) and multitracked it to make the chords. also layers with a moog taurus doing dronesy bass sounds.
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobule View Post
they used a vcs3 (ems synthi) and multitracked it to make the chords.
That's interesting, because it doesn't sound like a VCS3 to my ears, so I thought of the Minimoog.
Can I ask where did you read it?
Old 10th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Minimoog on this song. Multitracked for chords. Minimoog was also used on Shine On.
EMS VCS3 was used on Welcome to the Machine for bass and solo.

No Taurus or GX-1 on the album. Rick is supposed to have owned a GX-1 for a short while. But he doesn't seem to have used it on any recording.
Old 10th August 2014
Been listening to Animals a lot lately. I miss Rick - wonderful musician. For those interested, check out Pink Floyd Live At Wembley (November 16, 1974): https://archive.org/details/PinkFloydLiveAtWembley. Excellent set list (though I've heard better versions of "Echoes")

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Raving & Drooling [Sheep]
You've Gotta Be Crazy [Dogs]
Speak To Me
Breathe
On The Run
Time
The Great Gig In The Sky
Money
Us And Them
Any Colour You Like
Brain Damage
Eclipse
Echoes
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

It's one of my favourite synth sounds. That and the Wembley live version of Shine On....

Minimoog multitracked.
Old 10th August 2014
Old 10th August 2014
Based on the evidence and what you guys are saying it sounds like it was a multitracked minimoog. Pretty cool.

Thanks for the info.

Is there a poly synth that can produce this sound (or come close)?
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Memory moog?

You will need 2 oscillators per voice and a moog style (ie transistor ladder) filter to get close.

If you want to go software, Arturia's Minimoog emulation comes close and can do poly.
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

I want an Arp Solina. Someone should make a Eurorack string module.
Old 10th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyshaver View Post
I want an Arp Solina. Someone should make a Eurorack string module.
There's that new Waldorf string module... Not eurorack though
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah, the Streichfett looks very cool. I think I can wedge it into one of the cases for my my live set-up as well. Yay for lush string pads.
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

He had more than one minimoog and might have gotten three or four note chords by playing two at once in an interval with oscs set at third or fifths etc.
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

I remember reading in the excellent Bob Moog book "Analog Days" that since Pink Floyd were so financially secure, they would buy multiples of every synth, particularly minimoogs, that they would use each one as a single preset so to speak so they wouldn't have to worry about recalling the sound from patch sheets etc. They would get a sound they liked and put tape across it, and that synth was dedicated to that sound for eternity.... I can totally see them making polyphonic minimoog tracks as well...
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal View Post
It's one of my favourite synth sounds. That and the Wembley live version of Shine On....

Minimoog multitracked.
How do you multitrack live?
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

Rick Wright keyboard list on, "Wish you were here."

Hammond C-3 Organ /with Leslie 122 Cabinet
MOOG Minimoog Synthesizer
ARP Solina String Ensemble (Model V) Synthesizer
Wurlitzer EP-200 Electric Piano
EMS VCS3 Synthi AKS Synthesizer
EMS VCS3 Synthi A (‘Portabella’) Synthesizer
Hohner Clavinet D6
EMS Synthi Hi-Fli Guitar Synthesizer
Steinway & Sons Baby Classical Grand Piano
MOOG Taurus II Footpedal Synthesizer

These were the synths used in the studio and on tour for the recording.
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicncars View Post
How do you multitrack live?
You have the FOH engineer play back tape of the other parts while you play the solo. Would only really work in sections with no percussion back then but they do mention FOH tape playback in the article linked to earlier in this thread.
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

from that extensive PDF about rick's setups over the years the pad layers 7th sound of the shine on intro is from multitracked ems vcs3/synthi NOT the wish you were here synth. my bad
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

The Mini Moog lead that is featured in "Welcome To The Machine" not only gives you goosebumps when you hear it through a high fidelity sound system,, but it really illustrates the unique magic of the Model D.....Ironically... it makes it "shine".... That sound on that track is Holy Grail stuff.
Old 11th August 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk77 View Post
Rick Wright keyboard list on, "Wish you were here."

Hammond C-3 Organ /with Leslie 122 Cabinet
MOOG Minimoog Synthesizer
ARP Solina String Ensemble (Model V) Synthesizer
Wurlitzer EP-200 Electric Piano
EMS VCS3 Synthi AKS Synthesizer
EMS VCS3 Synthi A (‘Portabella’) Synthesizer
Hohner Clavinet D6
EMS Synthi Hi-Fli Guitar Synthesizer
Steinway & Sons Baby Classical Grand Piano
MOOG Taurus II Footpedal Synthesizer

These were the synths used in the studio and on tour for the recording.
Don't forget the wine glasses.... they can be slightly heard on the drone-like intro, but more clearer on the 'WYWH' immersion box set.
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

There are so many elements at the start of Shine On You Crazy Diamond that I often feel that I am rediscovering it with each listen.

It was lovely to hear the wind glasses part separately on the reissue. I wish I could afford the box sets..

Incidentally, I think Rick may have used a poly on later tours. I have a bootleg of the entire Wish You Were Here album from the Animals tour, but can't remember if the synth horns featured. I would have thought that part would be tough for an FOH engineer to sync in right. More likely to be performed live.
Old 11th August 2014
Gear Guru

those horn sounds at 3:00 in Wish you were here sound like some clavinet or mellotron to me, don't know about Mini moog...??
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

Multitracking a mono is still IMHO the nicest way to build a polyphonic track. So much richer than just using a polysynth. And the Minimoog is just so good sounding in the role Rick Wright used it for.
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
Multitracking a mono is still IMHO the nicest way to build a polyphonic track. So much richer than just using a polysynth. And the Minimoog is just so good sounding in the role Rick Wright used it for.
Agree 100% I recently multitracked my Micromac to build a big horn section and it sounds absolutely epic! Would share the track but I'm using satellite internet in the jungle right now, hope to be back in town in a few weeks and will try to post an example then.
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah, I believe the Immersion Set has a GREAT live performance of a lot of the record, some of the versions on which IMHO are more interesting then the final album, like the title track if I remember correctly. Fantastic versions, I can't believe they were recorded so well (wembley?)..... but definitely worth checking out...
Old 12th August 2014
Gear Guru

3min 30 seconds, what is that keyboard ..?
Old 12th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
3min 30 seconds, what is that keyboard ..?
Looks like maybe a polymoog?

But in the video it doesn't look like he was playing those notes (unless the video is out of sync).
Old 12th August 2014
On second thought, never mind. Just noticed there's a pitch bend stick on the left in the video. Maybe they just use a digital synth in the more recent concerts. That horn synth patch is probably not that hard to approximate on most VAs.
Attached Thumbnails
Pink Floyd "Wish you were here" synth?-screen-shot-2014-08-11-10.40.05-pm.png  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search