The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Pink Floyd "Wish you were here" synth?
Old 27th August 2018
Here for the gear

Here's a somewhat silly question, but I've wondered for awhile now, How did Pink Floyd create the downward synth scale pattern at the very begin of Shine On? I don't think Richard Wright played the scale. It sounds like something done with a modular synth It sort of reminds me of the odd sounds you can hear out in the middle of nowhere on an AM radio. Thanks, sign me I am Curious Pink
Old 27th August 2018
Here for the gear

This is a somewhat silly question, but how did Pink Floyd — Richard Wright most likely — create that downward synth scale pattern at the beginning of Crazy Diamond? It wasn't played by a human. Could have been a Mini Moog, but has a modular feel to it. Sign me, I Am Curious Pink.
Old 27th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyOldFart View Post
This is a somewhat silly question, but how did Pink Floyd — Richard Wright most likely — create that downward synth scale pattern at the beginning of Crazy Diamond? It wasn't played by a human. Could have been a Mini Moog, but has a modular feel to it. Sign me, I Am Curious Pink.
Sounds to me like a simple pitch bend or portamento on a patch that has a square wave LFO modulating the amplitude. It doesn't sound like an arpeggio or scale being played to my ears.
Old 27th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well i created something like this:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...wdiamond11.m4a

And yes i remember it being just a portamento patch with LFO going to filter frequency.
The LFO was saw down though, not square.
Old 27th August 2018

@40:40 ”...VCS3 on Welcome to the Machine..”

Watch for a couple of minutes, Roger talks about loving the VCS3, using it all the time, and still owning one.

Watch the whole video, its great!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

( posting here, from a discussion in the "Boog" thread, that is veering off topic! )

Behringer Model D

--> I am pretty sure the weird squawk and bird sounds at the beginning are a Yamaha YC-45D

then the random chime/tinkle sounds that are sporadically around the first part, before the "Syd's Riff", I believe are the YC45 too, using the Vibraphone patch

I used to think they were percussion chimes, until I got the YC & experimented

since I am nearly positive they used it at the start, I think there is good probability they used it for those chimes, too

here a are a couple samples I just whipped up:

yc45_noises
yc45_vibe

the vibe mp3 starts dry, then with reverb, then delay ( no reverb )
Attached Files

yc45_vibe.mp3 (989.0 KB, 380 views)

yc45_noises.mp3 (265.6 KB, 376 views)

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Great info !
Thanks.
I'll dig up that old project and tweak some more.

1 more example of the squawk, but without the pitchbend (if that is possible) would be very useful for recreating the timbre.
Just a note held for about 1 second.
TIA

Interesting thing on the vibe sound - in the mix i could hear only the short high pitched part of it - maybe the lower longer part got buried in the bass and drone.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks bolero View Post
( posting here, from a discussion in the "Boog" thread, that is veering off topic! )

Behringer Model D

--> I am pretty sure the weird squawk and bird sounds at the beginning are a Yamaha YC-45D

then the random chime/tinkle sounds that are sporadically around the first part, before the "Syd's Riff", I believe are the YC45 too, using the Vibraphone patch

I used to think they were percussion chimes, until I got the YC & experimented

since I am nearly positive they used it at the start, I think there is good probability they used it for those chimes, too

here a are a couple samples I just whipped up:

yc45_noises
yc45_vibe

the vibe mp3 starts dry, then with reverb, then delay ( no reverb )
That twittering sound is very close. I got similar on my SE-02. Haven't tried it with the Behri Model D yet. Was most likely Minimoog.

There's something else going on with the other sound- more than just a pitch bend. It could be with filter mod I suppose, but it sounds like something else is modulating the oscillator.

I reckon that one is more likely with VCS3, but not a scooby on how to reproduce it.

I'll make a recreation myself later
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
For some reason I always thought this might be a downward pitching Shepard Tone (an acoustic equivalent to an optical illusion) with some amplitude modulation to better disguise it. Pink Floyd have used Shepard Tones before, most blatantly an upwards pitching one at the end of "Echoes".

Last edited by Rob Ocelot; 1 week ago at 05:54 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
Pink Floyd have used Shepard Tones before, most blatantly an upwards pitching one at the end of "Echoes".
Actually, that effect at the end of echoes is pretty much a tape echo run into another tape echo... the first echo’s repeat time tweaked to give it that constant rise effect... I discovered this once when messing around
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhmzaiusz View Post
Actually, that effect at the end of echoes is pretty much a tape echo run into another tape echo... the first echo’s repeat time tweaked to give it that constant rise effect... I discovered this once when messing around
Interesting! I thought that was Gilmour, slide guitar and echo. Nice to keep learning about these recordings.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal View Post
Interesting! I thought that was Gilmour, slide guitar and echo. Nice to keep learning about these recordings.
You’re probably right, it probably was Gilmour and a slide guitar, but into 2 tape echoes which pretty much make that exact drone effect.
Old 1 week ago
Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here: Probably my favorite album of all time. Me and my soundman were on the Warner Bros. lot a few weeks ago where the original album cover photo was taken, where we attempted to recreate that iconic image (that's me on the right). Apologies for the small GIF and poorly crafted SFX (for some reason the GIF doesn't animate here):

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search