The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is there a synth/groovebox or software that has a patch reset/return feature? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Is there a synth/groovebox or software that has a patch reset/return feature?

Hello

I like to tweak a lot and have a lot of groove synths/boxes, etc. from a lot of brands but cannot find a certain feature on any of them that I want. I am hoping you can help.

Basically, one of my favorite ways to groove is to keep tweaking a patch (program)- building up tension, etc. then I return to the original unedited patch- this process repeats- I tweak again in a different way, return to original patch, repeat, etc. etc. Kind of a home/away/home/away pattern.

To return to the original patch, I have to reverse all my tweaking moves. This is sometimes hard. For one, I may have made so many tweaks I can't remember them all and can't get back to the original sound (Korg EMX helps with this with the light). But the second and biggest problem is that undoing all my tweaks takes time and sometimes I want a fast dramatic return to the original patch- sort of a global "fast undo" button.

I have tried making two copies of the patch next to each other. That way I can just increment up or down and immediately return to the original sound. But there are some problems with this method too. The biggest problem is that when I jump from one patch to the next, the FX and long envelopes of the tweaked patch often abruptly cut off in an unpleasant manner. Another problem is that this involves extra work as I copy patches and uses up patch storage.

By now I am hoping you understand what I am looking for. Is there some sort of synth/groovebox or soft synth that has an "instant undo" of all tweaks but allows their FX and envelopes of those tweaks to naturally decay as I jump back into the original patch? I want to tweak/return home/tweak- but with a natural flow and no abrupt cut-offs.

I am open to any solutions, hardware gear, ableton, maschine, soft synths, etc.

thanks

EDIT: I am aware that my Kurzweil PC3LE allows one patch to decay while you switch to another (although FX can abruptly change) so maybe I am also looking for other gear that does this. Allows a smooth switch to a new patch with the old one decaying and no FX disruptions.
Old 7th August 2014
Octatrack can do this exact thing.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...y%20merlin.pdf

Read about Parts in there...

There is also the option of using scenes (Sides of the crossfader) for this purpose as well.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

A workaround on the MC-909 would be to do it all within one patch: program tones one and two as your "home" patch, copy them to tones three and four, and tweak away on 3 and 4 with 1 and 2 muted until you want to return "home" when you would simultaneously mute 3 and 4 and unmute 1 and 2.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Most of the Elektron stuff works this way. You can reload just about everything on the fly, back to its original saved state.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Maybe you could use two tracks with the same patch & sequence?
One would always play the untouched patch, other would be the tweak track.
I'm sure many devices has a way to mute the track without cutting the release (?)
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

+1 to Elektron devices, they're designed to allow you to seamlessly build up patches and drop back to the original sound instantly.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

+2 for Elektron gear. For example, on my A4, you just press Kit reload and it instantly (but smoothly) returns to the saved state.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

The Spectralis does that for full patterns. Reseting presets is a bit annoying, since you have to select another preset (but not switch presets, you just scroll through the presets and come back without changing the sound), than the old preset and you are back.

The Accelerator can reset the preset.

The PC3 resets the preset when you exit editing mode and don´t save.

Edit: I forgot a bunch of stuff: You basically need seamless preset transition for that. The Accelerator does this (most of the time), the PC3 should work, the Kronos claims to do this (don´t have one/didn´t try that feature in the shop)...
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

thanks for the replies- I guess I will be looking into Elektron gear!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search