The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mini keys? Yes or no? Keyboard Synthesizers
View Poll Results: How do you feel about synths with mini keys?
I love mini keys!!
14 Votes - 7.04%
They're kind of fun, on certain instruments.
21 Votes - 10.55%
I don't care about key size at all.
16 Votes - 8.04%
I prefer full-size keys, but mini keys might not stop me from buying something I wanted.
83 Votes - 41.71%
I do NOT like mini keys. I won't play them or buy them. Keep them away.
65 Votes - 32.66%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th August 2014
Mini keys? Yes or no?

Given the heated discussions about mini keys, I thought it would be interesting to have a poll about how people feel about them.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

No.

1. I'm a musician. I took 8 years of piano lessons on normal keys.
2. Sure, I can midi it and use a controller, but then why even have any keys?
3. I think the extra normal keys production costs stated here are exaggerated. It's a way to cut costs, but you will also loose users who don't want a mini. Only Korg really knows their market. Eventually, I would bet they will release a non-mini version, and I'll hold out for that.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Mini keys = they are great for children. Literally and metaphorically.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Guru
I don't like em.. but I somehow don't mind it on the Microbrute because the footprint is still small.

If you're gonna give me some small keys.. I actually prefer those little chicklet keys like a Casio VL-Tone or MC-202 ... somehow I can rip on those.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

They don't stop from buying a synth/keyboard, if I really like it and the price is really cheap.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

There's a lot of variation within the minikey category; my MS20 mini is eminently playable, but my DX100 was just barely playable for example.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

If it's a mono synth then yeah I can deal. But for playing chords? No thank you.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

i care more about the number of keys and their arrangement than i do the size. minimum 37 keys for polyphonic synths, am ok with 49 would rather have 61 and for anything more than that i'll play a piano (i'm obviously not a gigging musician).

i can play a one octave monophonic synth using a computer keypad because the "black keys" are on a higher row and are offset from the "white keys." so my brain can figure out where my fingers need to go. same as on the an200/dx200. but the mc909 and emx throw me for a loop by putting the "black keys" and the "white keys" on the same row.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear
They're as practical as bicycle wheels on a Porsche. But if its a good synth then I'd still buy it and use a remote keyboard as a controller.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

I'm pretty firmly in the hate camp on this one.
Old 7th August 2014
Minikeys are fine. Played 'em lots. Only use them for certain things/voices... nothing precise, or too sharp an attack, more melodic or pad-driven usually (I did some of my fave stuff on a DX100... i like 4-op fm).

I had to adapt my playing style for the DX100 and the CS01... but a cellist would have to adapt theirs when playing a violin... or vibes playing celeste... or stand-up playing fender precision... etc etc etc
Old 7th August 2014
Here for the gear

Full size is great mostly, but even though my hands are semi large, there are pieces where they just don't cut it span wise. I don't mind the option of mini keys as a concept, but generally would rather have a module plus a solitary controller tailored to the situation, as opposed to a synth engine slammed into an ironically bulky every now and then mini scenario. For that matter I'd usually rather have well designed modules then full keyboards as well, but not everyday is a Sunday.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Not a piano player so don't really care. I use Microkorg XL on stage and microkontroll in studio quite a lot. Keys in Microkorg are way better than in Microkontroll so there is big differences in mini keys.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

I secretly love the minikeys on my Korg Microstation. They feel fine, but the main advantage is my new-found ability to reach those difficult chords .
Prob not an issue on a monosynth.

I remember trying the microkrg some years ago and being horrified at the spongy ****ty keys. I found it totally unplayable. Things seem to have improved since then.
Old 7th August 2014
Hey OP.......All threads have proved majority of the GS people don't care about

1) minikeys - "make it small, I don't have room"

2) build quality - "make it cheap so I can afford it"

Personally I give a sh#t about both and I WILL avoid mini keys. I honestly feel from the replies in the threads not liking mini keys puts me in the minority. As for poor build quality is kind of unavoidable in this day so that's that.

Going to bet "I prefer full-size keys, but mini keys might not stop me from buying something I wanted. " is going to win because that seems to be the majority of replies in threads.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Addict

I prefer full size and high quality, but I still rather take $4,99 mini keys than no keys and consider it a module with cheap extra keys.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

I'm the other way - I'd prefer a module to a micro keyboard.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraut View Post
I prefer full size and high quality, but I still rather take $4,99 mini keys than no keys and consider it a module with cheap extra keys.
Those (somewhat useless) keys take up a lot of space though, and space costs a lot of money, at least here in Finland. Plus, you can carry way more desktop units than minikeyboards with you, making gigging easier.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Head

I didn't mind mini keys when I was 6. Things have drastically changed since then, though. No chance I would even consider buying a mini sized synth.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

I voted: I prefer full-size keys, but mini keys might not stop me from buying something I wanted.

I think minikeys work well on synths like Microkorg, and even the MS20mini as its not really what I call an 'Emotion' synth more an f/x type synthesizer. The fact Korg also did a full size version totally kills any argument and I think they should be applauded for doing this.

The Odyssey is a little more difficult. I hope they do do both versions to cater for everyone's tastes.

I would be totally against somethng like a Polysix with Minikeys however. I can to some degree accept mini keys on a monosynth, but NEVER on a polysynth.

I have large hands so I physically can't play on them full stop. The ones on the Korg MS20 mini aren't mini keys as such, they are larger than the Microkorg/Mininova etc. I can just about handle playing one note at a time on that particular synth.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Head

I've been playing piano for almost two decades, so I dislike them. That said, I'm quite used to adjusting to different scales of things, so I can deal with them. I have guitars ranging from 24.5 scale on a Gretsch to around 28.5 on the low string of a multi-scale Agile 8-string, to around 14 on my mandolins, to around 34 on my 6-string bass. I have the Microbrute, MS-20m, and Microkorg XL, and would probably prefer modules on the first two, although the portability of the latter is part of its appeal. On those sort of synths when I play them I'm concentrating more on sound design and experimentation anyway.
Old 7th August 2014
Deleted User
I hate mini keys - I'm not a mini man but full grown XXXL man (well, that's about S in the States, at least in swamps of the deep south were I used to live.... and 14X in Japan where Keio-ORGans lives ) and have not mini hands and mini fingers - and I'm a musician, using real musical instruments with a real interface to play on. Mini keys stinks plastic toys, even if mounted to a nice instrument.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

I don't mind, if overall build quality is good.

Gotta say: I don't understand WHY Korg does this. Is it driven somehow by a particular (Asian?) market that got attached to the idea of tiny keys? Some mini-key synths don't even meet carry-on regulations on a plane, there's no real size advantage vs. using 25 or 37 full-size keys.

Must be a cost thing, but how much does it save?
Old 7th August 2014
Deleted User
Some Indians put heads in some liquid and then in a bottle. Maybe something in that direction Korg plan to do to musicians worldwide - shrink the fingers and take monopoly of the keyboard market when regular keys be to large. Smart business plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by percussion boy View Post
I don't mind, if overall build quality is good.

Gotta say: I don't understand WHY Korg does this. Is it driven somehow by a particular (Asian?) market that got attached to the idea of tiny keys? Some mini-key synths don't even meet carry-on regulations on a plane, there's no real size advantage vs. using 25 or 37 full-size keys.

Must be a cost thing, but how much does it save?
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Maybe yes...

I don't like any synth keybed, being traditionally a classic piano player, I think they all suck in comparison. I'd rather have something with full sized keys, but the small print on some current instruments may give us the portability that a synth player doesn't have. The Microbrute is an excelent example. The mini keys are welcome in small controllers too... you can have portability and have fun with modules without carrying a giant set.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

I'd rather have no keys. I already have nice synths and a nice controller that I like to play, so it's about the sounds and the rest if the interface anyway. Regular keys or no keys is my vote.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Performers aren't going to be confortable with regular synth keys anyway, unless they're particularly good.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

I personally don't care about this bantering about a supposed Korg synth but I really have no dislike of mini keys. One of my favourite samplers actually had mini keys (Yamaha vss30) very cute and fun machine. My current MIDI controller has mini keys so I have a three octave taking the space of a two octave.

In actuality I strongly dislike fully weighted / semi weighted keys on any synth - it makes no sense. Why bring the legacy and slowness of an acoustic instrument on one without a need for it? Just to appease its user?

Yes I started on acoustic piano and have been playing keys of all sorts for over 20 years. Everything from banged up uprights, grands, clavichords, harpsichords, transistor organs, cheap synths, expensive synths and even messed about with an accordion. They all have vastly differing key response and size despite all being standard keyboard layout instruments. I don't treat one key type as being better than another, they're all different instruments.

The breakneck response of say a clavichord is far superior to a piano, playing the same fast passages on a piano feels slow and drunk. Again different interfaces serving different needs.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

it also depends on the quality of the mini keys most feel really cheap.
Old 7th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
it also depends on the quality of the mini keys most feel really cheap.
+1

The mini keys on the MS-20 Mini made me come to like mini-keys more, but producing on a cheap midi controller with mini-keys was what turnt me away from mini-keys back in high school.
I don't mind the MS20 mini's mini-keys at all; But I would never chose mini-keys over full size keys, at the same price.
If mini keys make synths like the MS20 mini and/or Korg Odyssey a lot cheaper, I'm down for that
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search