The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mini keys? Yes or no? Keyboard Synthesizers
View Poll Results: How do you feel about synths with mini keys?
I love mini keys!!
14 Votes - 7.04%
They're kind of fun, on certain instruments.
21 Votes - 10.55%
I don't care about key size at all.
16 Votes - 8.04%
I prefer full-size keys, but mini keys might not stop me from buying something I wanted.
83 Votes - 41.71%
I do NOT like mini keys. I won't play them or buy them. Keep them away.
65 Votes - 32.66%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Hey mini key players, I just returned from Guitar Center where an end of summer sale is in progress. The microKORG is $349 -- $50 off the usual price. Let's see how many of you are able to convince GC to give you an additional 15% off. I'm very tempted to get another microKORG at this price.
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member View Post
Don't like the CS-01 keyboard? Pay extra and get the CS-5.
Don't like the CZ-101 keyboard? Pay extra and get the CZ-1000.
Don't like the SK-1 keyboard? Pay extra and get the FZ-1.
Don't like the DX-100 keyboard? Pay extra and get the DX-7.
Don't like the microKORG keyboard? Pay extra and get the MS-2000.
Don't like the Microbrute keyboard? Pay extra and get the Minibrute.
Don't like the MS-20 Mini keyboard? Pay extra and get the original or kit version.

The list just goes ON AND ON...
Sorry, this is misinformation, plain and simple.
Only a couple of the mini-key instruments you list are versions of the same instrument with regular keys: The CZ101 and the MS-20 mini.
The Minibrute and Microbrute are very similar, but not identical; the Micro is scaled down in several areas.
ALL the others are completely different instruments.

We can discuss about mini-keys until next month - as long as we keep it within the facts.
Old 10th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthtastic View Post
Hey mini key players, I just returned from Guitar Center where an end of summer sale is in progress. The microKORG is $349 -- $50 off the usual price. Let's see how many of you are able to convince GC to give you an additional 15% off. I'm very tempted to get another microKORG at this price.
Why the heck are you buying a MicroKorg new? It's been out for years. Just get a used one, they are so cheap. No need to convince GC.
Old 10th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino View Post
Sorry, this is misinformation, plain and simple.
Only a couple of the mini-key instruments you list are versions of the same instrument with regular keys: The CZ101 and the MS-20 mini.
The Minibrute and Microbrute are very similar, but not identical; the Micro is scaled down in several areas.
ALL the others are completely different instruments.

We can discuss about mini-keys until next month - as long as we keep it within the facts.
Same thing I was saying too, this guy's list is misinforming the thread. They're not just full key sized versions, they are different featured versions. Not the same.
Old 10th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
Why the heck are you buying a MicroKorg new? It's been out for years. Just get a used one, they are so cheap. No need to convince GC.
I don't buy used synths. I did that once for a synth that was no longer in production. Never again. The savings would be minimal in this situation too. I would like another microKORG because it is one synth I regretted selling years ago. Anyway, this is not a high priority. Before the end of the month I will add a Krome to my studio.
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimwolf View Post
No, this means you don't understand how idioms work.
I could agree more.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...s&defid=928765
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member View Post
I would honesty like to apologize if my long winded rant seemed like an attack against you directly. I actually agree with most of what you were saying (I voted for #4 as well), but since I quoted you on that one sentence and no one else, it might seem like that was all aimed toward you. I was just shooting my mouth off toward the bias against minikeys that has been present in this entire thread.

But I will say that I don't agree with this "perfect world" scenario because it implies that minikeys shouldn't exist. The reality is that sound modules don't sell as well as "keyboards" and that minikeys are cheaper to manufacture to move more units. If people were actually opposed to this, they wouldn't be selling by the butt loads.
ah ok, just defending myself, not butthurt

as for second part, disagree all you want. I could poke some holes in that, but let's move on.
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsam View Post
I could agree more.
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I promise I won't do it again, officer!

Meanwhile, the minikey police are storming Korg headquarters...
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
I promise I won't do it again, officer!
That's one saved lads, now for the other ten million. Phew...
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

I don't care. I have small hands and can adapt to whatever. MS-20 mini is fine for me.
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I mentioned this to my wife - she says your wife's not telling the truth...
Darn it, I had a feeling.....
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

Just so people who haven't used an MS20 mini know, it and Korg's probable Arp Ody don't actually have 'Mini' keys.

In the pic above, the left MS20 is Korg's MS20ic Legacy controller that indeed does have 'Mini keys' like the DX100/CZ-101/MicroKorg.

The Middle MS20 is the MS20 mini which although not full size are quite a bit bigger and not as small as some people imagine.

The right MS20 is of course the original.

Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear

That's a cool piccy. It may allay some people's feelings on this, although I'd still prefer a full size option at some point.
Old 2nd September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post

woa! am i seeing tripple?!!!...

9 MS20s !!!!

(joke stolen from the simpsons)

size doesn't bother me. . quality bothers me. the MS20mini keys are pretty crap. simple as that. i don't care that they're a little smaller than standard keys, i care that they feel bad and don't work very well. however, pretty much love the synth in any case
Old 2nd September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
woa! am i seeing tripple?!!!...

9 MS20s !!!!

(joke stolen from the simpsons)

size doesn't bother me. . quality bothers me. the MS20mini keys are pretty crap. simple as that. i don't care that they're a little smaller than standard keys, i care that they feel bad and don't work very well.
That's such a cool shot!..I have the midget (Legacy controller). Nice work.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search