The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mini keys? Yes or no? Keyboard Synthesizers
View Poll Results: How do you feel about synths with mini keys?
I love mini keys!!
14 Votes - 7.04%
They're kind of fun, on certain instruments.
21 Votes - 10.55%
I don't care about key size at all.
16 Votes - 8.04%
I prefer full-size keys, but mini keys might not stop me from buying something I wanted.
83 Votes - 41.71%
I do NOT like mini keys. I won't play them or buy them. Keep them away.
65 Votes - 32.66%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
that is why then I have a TON of cheap Casio and Yamaha keyboards that are from the 1980s that have mini keys and all of them work fine and do not have any broken keys. Many of them were purchased used over the years at thrift stores, yard/garage/boot sales, ebay, craigslist etc and were subject to untold abuse by the kiddies before I got them for $1. My Casio SK200 had crayon marks all over it where a very young toddler wrote all over it, yet all the keys work fine

My 10 year old Microkorg still has all it's keys, as does my Microstation, Microsampler, Microarranger, and Microkorg XL

if you are breaking off keys, you must be pounding on them EXTREMELY hard
You listed the reason you had no broken keys yourself - you have a ton of keyboards. if you'd have just one of them as your main instrument and used it everyday, you'd encounter a problem in said period.
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Maniac

I don't mind them. But they're usually accompanied by cheap build quality, which I do mind.

I'd rather see more rackable dekstops instead. But keys means they can bump the price up much more than the parts cost them to add.
Old 8th August 2014
Here for the gear

I dont care it!!!!! The important is the sound not the size of the keys.......
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

My wife told me that size of the keys shouldn't matter, but that it's how well they are used that really matters.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Could care less.

Have everything hooked up to a master controller for my semi-weighted fix.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

I feel like in a perfect world synths would either have full size keys or strictly be modules, regardless of whether they are reissues or not. However until that is true its #4 all the way. Put another way, if you claim to want a certain instrument and refuse to buy it because it isn't either full size keys or a just module then you must not have wanted it that badly (or there is a suitable alternative), and should stfu and move on with your life.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

I prefer the minikeys due to space issues plus i kind of enjoy not straining my hands. I have thin fingers soo i never have a problem with them. I dont care about piano sounds or real pianos or real or acoustic sounds for that matter. the keyboards i am playing, the sounds i make and the sound i am going for aren't really a piano so whats the difference.
I agree with djugel, those chicklet keys or any non realistic keys are my fave.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
My wife told me that size of the keys shouldn't matter, but that it's how well they are used that really matters.
I mentioned this to my wife - she says your wife's not telling the truth...
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
Could care less.
So this means you care right?
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
I feel like in a perfect world synths would either have full size keys or strictly be modules, regardless of whether they are reissues or not.
The problem with this "perfect world" scenario is that it blatantly ignores the fact that virtually every product which has minikeys already has a full-sized counterpart available in the real world.

Don't like the CS-01 keyboard? Pay extra and get the CS-5.
Don't like the CZ-101 keyboard? Pay extra and get the CZ-1000.
Don't like the SK-1 keyboard? Pay extra and get the FZ-1.
Don't like the DX-100 keyboard? Pay extra and get the DX-7.
Don't like the microKORG keyboard? Pay extra and get the MS-2000.
Don't like the Microbrute keyboard? Pay extra and get the Minibrute.
Don't like the MS-20 Mini keyboard? Pay extra and get the original or kit version.

The list just goes ON AND ON...

All this hatred toward minikeys honestly sounds like nothing more than a bunch of penny-pinched complaints toward something cheaper coming along in the market that more people can actually afford to purchase and enjoy. Andy Warhol once said, "a Coke is a Coke and no amount of money can get you a better Coke than the one the bum on the corner is drinking," but guess what? You can actually PAY EXTRA in this situation and get BIGGER keys. So seriously, stop being a cheap skate and realize that you can actually pay a little more for something you might consider better.
Old 9th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member View Post
The problem with this "perfect world" scenario is that it blatantly ignores the fact that virtually every product which has minikeys already has a full-sized counterpart available in the real world.

Don't like the MS-20 Mini keyboard? Pay extra and get the original or kit version.

All this hatred toward minikeys honestly sounds like nothing more than a bunch of penny-pinched complaints toward something cheaper coming along in the market that more people can actually afford to purchase and enjoy. Andy Warhol once said, "a Coke is a Coke and no amount of money can get you a better Coke than the one the bum on the corner is drinking," but guess what? You can actually PAY EXTRA in this situation and get BIGGER keys. So seriously, stop being a cheap skate and realize that you can actually pay a little more for something you might consider better.

People dont like mini keys because they like to play an instrument and to some those minute measurements matter. Thats's about it.

Usually cheap follows too.

Also that list you have is not exactly a replacement from big to smaller, they tend to have different features ect. Those are not like a reissue.

Like someone said earlier, years of piano class. That's muscle memory. When some company messes with that to make it "cheap" that kind of sucks.

To programmers and knob tweakers it will not matter as much.
Old 9th August 2014
Gear Head

The poll result says it all. Ughh.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
People dont like mini keys because they like to play an instrument and to some those minute measurements matter. Thats's about it.
I totally agree with that, but like I said, just about every minikey product is based on an existing product which anyone could have already purchased in the first place. The minikey versions exist as aftermarket products.

Quote:
Usually cheap follows too.
Exactly! Like I said, aftermarket products.

Quote:
Also that list you have is not exactly a replacement from big to smaller, theuall tend to have different features ect. Those are not like a reissue.
And your right on the mark again. Things get repackaged, reworked and sold as something new with additional "bonus features." The DVD/BlueRay market is incredibly guilty when it comes to aftermarket repackaging. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've repurchased the original Star Wars trilogy only to realize that the first VHS tapes I bought from the 80's still play fine on my current television as they did thirty years ago.

Quote:
Like someone said earlier, years of piano class. That's muscle memory. When some company messes with that to make it "cheap" that kind of sucks.

To programmers and knob tweakers it will not matter as much.
Agreed and agreed. This is why I was saying one should buy exactly what they want in the first place, even if it costs more money. Anything after the fact is optional.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsam View Post
I'm glad you said that, this misuse of the phrase is driving me nuts.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Put another way, if you claim to want a certain instrument and refuse to buy it because it isn't either full size keys or a just module then you must not have wanted it that badly (or there is a suitable alternative), and should stfu and move on with your life.
Um... No. If you want an instrument you want the who deal: the keys are as much a part if that as the rest.

On this basis then a 1U rack with no controls is all we need as you can use a MIDI controller for the rest. Would you be happy with that? If not stfu.

Actually Creamware already did that with repackaged Prodyssey (and other synths) called Klangboxes. They didn't sell that well.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Gimme any of them, I'll play 'em all, big, mini, tiny casio, I have some very fun instruments with mini keys like the PSS 390 which has crazy synth sliders.
Old 9th August 2014
Gear Addict

I love mini keys to the point of considering a USB->MIDI host device just to be able to use a microkey 61 as a master keyboard. However, I'm also not a very good keyboardist and have useless stubby fingers that make a lot of chords rather difficult to reach on a "real" keybed. Nonetheless, I like them, and I'd take 37 mini keys over 25 regular ones every time.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
A tiny bit. But not much.
Old 9th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
and people can't put in the same effort of practicing on mini keys?
Old 9th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throe View Post
and people can't put in the same effort of practicing on mini keys?
what do you want me to say? sure
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
No, this means you don't understand how idioms work.
Old 9th August 2014
Gear Guru
Ah ... TremblingLarry and his Green Clarinet again.
Old 9th August 2014
Here for the gear

<DELETED BY MODERATOR> And you're my ****ing hero. But there's no excuse in being weird or damaged cause everybody is. I don't know. You're so ****ing close, but you blow it thinking that people need to give a ****. You're so close to being brilliant, but you expect some great sympathy for the essential rottenness of went wrong. There is no central compassion. You are so close to being great, if you could only abandon the hallmark sympathies for the self. Christ, do you have any conception how close you are? The cutting edge to which you blow it?
Old 9th August 2014
Gear Guru
I don't think you're telling him anything he doesn't know.

Thoughtful trolling can't really be a bad thing tho ... you seem to care
Old 9th August 2014
If I'm paying more that £1000 I expect proper keys. Anything less if it has mini keys is a bonus.

Would a rack mount mini key be a good idea? :s
Old 9th August 2014
Nowadays I prefer synths without keys, I have enough keyboards anyway to use as controllers. That said, I can deal with mini keys if I have to. Just have to take it easy and avoid the heavy piano technique.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member View Post

1. Uhh... I'm saying I wouldn't let mini keys stop me from buying something. Because if it's a synths who's sound I really want in my palette and I'm not willing to spend lots of money on, say, a vintage version if its a reissue, than I'd go mini, thats #4 option in the poll.

2. My perfect world is an imaginary place that I get to invent and live in, in my mind, so blatently ignoring reality is sort of par for the course.

3. I got the ms20 mini for $450, paying x3 for vintage or kit isn't "paying a little more". I AM happily being a cheap skate, and purchasing a synth that has been marketed towards me to fufill my want and my price point.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by once was... View Post
On this basis then a 1U rack with no controls is all we need as you can use a MIDI controller for the rest. Would you be happy with that? If not stfu.
Yes I would, although nowhere did I dictate that it had to be 1u and without controls, also module doesn't only mean rack gear. But you go on ahead and be hyperbolic, knock yourself out.
Old 9th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Mini keys on a synth are absolutely useless to me for normal playing but it wouldn't necessarily prevent me from buying one for use as a module. The mini keys might even be useful in some cases as a specialized type of control for certain effects or styles.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
1. Uhh... I'm saying I wouldn't let mini keys stop me from buying something. Because if it's a synths who's sound I really want in my palette and I'm not willing to spend lots of money on, say, a vintage version if its a reissue, than I'd go mini, thats #4 option in the poll.

2. My perfect world is an imaginary place that I get to invent and live in, in my mind, so blatently ignoring reality is sort of par for the course.

3. I got the ms20 mini for $450, paying x3 for vintage or kit isn't "paying a little more". I AM happily being a cheap skate, and purchasing a synth that has been marketed towards me to fufill my want and my price point.
I would honesty like to apologize if my long winded rant seemed like an attack against you directly. I actually agree with most of what you were saying (I voted for #4 as well), but since I quoted you on that one sentence and no one else, it might seem like that was all aimed toward you. I was just shooting my mouth off toward the bias against minikeys that has been present in this entire thread.

But I will say that I don't agree with this "perfect world" scenario because it implies that minikeys shouldn't exist. The reality is that sound modules don't sell as well as "keyboards" and that minikeys are cheaper to manufacture to move more units. If people were actually opposed to this, they wouldn't be selling by the butt loads.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search