The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A Question to Microbrute Owners Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

A Question to Microbrute Owners

I tried out a Microbrute at a store today, and found that a thud is created when the envelope is at it's fastest. Which thwarted me a little when trying to create some bass sounds.

Is this normal behaviour?
Old 7th August 2014
Here for the gear

Mine does this on 'gate' for a while before it has warmed up. With the vca at env instead of gate I get some clicks if the attack/release is at 0.

Pretty normal I think but maybe some other users could chime in?
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Thank you, it had only just been powered up when I was using with it. I did find slowing the attack in ENV mode cured the issue but made it a bit too slow for a punchy bass sound..

I was just surprised to hear a thuddy sound when in GATE, or fast attack and ENV, as opposed to a click with the same. Be interesed to know if this does resolve itself after a period of warming up.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
I was just surprised to hear a thuddy sound when in GATE, or fast attack and ENV, as opposed to a click with the same.
Click is caused either by Envelope leaking into audio path (9 times out of 10 leak gets worse at high frequencies, and fast env/gate = steep edges = lot of HF content), or VCA cutting waveform sharply at non-zero-crossing point.
Thud is usually caused by DC voltage present and VCA input. Typically, VCA does simple (2-quadrant) multiplication, so VCA_OUT = ENV*VCA_IN = ENV*(VCF_OUT+DC) = ENV*VCF_OUT + ENV*DC, so beside amplitude modulated signal that you want ( ENV*VCF_OUT ) you get envelope signal scaled by DC voltage, that you don't want. Envelope it self is mostly very low frequency to low frequency signal, that's why it sounds "thudy" (in some analog drum machines -by chance or by intention, I can't tell - very simple and crude VCAs leak ****load of envelope signal, which adds thud (for example, noise parts of 808 toms), on top of intentionally leaking trigger signals to add snap (808 BD)).
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Whatever it is, I really don't like when you hear the envelope opening and it seemed quite extreme on the micro
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Nut

Bass sounds aren't really a strong point of the Microbrute, but you shouldn't be hearing any crazy thuds or thumps. It's lows are mostly low-mids. I own one and love it, but for leads and arpy sequences.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
Whatever it is, I really don't like when you hear the envelope opening and it seemed quite extreme on the micro
If it's extreme, then it may be faulty DC blocking capacitor.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

I'm still going to get one, will suss it once purchased
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Clicks and thumps on fast EG settings are common on analogs...is this your first analog?
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Maniac

the click is unavoidable because the period of the bass waveform is much slower than the envelope rise time. If the envelope happens to open while the waveform is at a peak, the amplitude-enveloped result will have a sharp corner that makes a click. Nothing to be done unless you can configure the oscillators to restart at zero on note trigger.

BTW, I find the envelopes in the Microbrute are actually pretty slow. My new Sub 37 has much faster envelopes.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Yeh I know, but this was a surprisingly loud thud; and no...

Quote:
Originally Posted by enossified View Post
Clicks and thumps on fast EG settings are common on analogs...is this your first analog?
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Guru

My only issue with the Minibrute was it crashed every time I tried to add it as an external instrument in Live.
Old 7th August 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
My only issue with the Minibrute was it crashed every time I tried to add it as an external instrument in Live.
Yeah the software is pretty bad, I thought I'd tanked the sequencer after a firmware update as it lost all my sequences and wouldnt record new ones.

Had to run the recovery software like 5 time to get it back to normal :/

Not plugged it in via USB since...
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

So got the MB and the unit I have doesn't have a thumpy attack, just the expected clicks when the attack is too fast. Of course in the OP the unit I mntioned may have not had much time to warm up.

Overall, like others I am very impressed with the little thing, and a lot of fun to jam with..
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search