The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Clipping in Izotope Trash + Alloy 2 = ??????????? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Head
Clipping in Izotope Trash + Alloy 2 = ???????????

**These Input/Output levels are based off the Input/Output meters INSIDE OF the Izotope plugs**

First plugin = Izotope Trash 2 (Input of -1.3db, output of -0.4db)

(still okay)

Second plugin = Izotope Alloy 2 (Input of -0.4db, output of +0.4db)

(slightly clipping)

The only thing is that the channel slider itself (inside of Logic X) does not show any clipping at all. I know that some plugins will show "red" on the meters (such as Sylenth1), but does NOT indicate clipping. Does this hold true for Izotope products? Should I be adjusting the output levels earlier in the chain? Am I looking to have each output meter read at 0db or does it make most proper sense to match the input to the output reading? Thanks!

PS.. I have attached a screenshot from Sylenth1's User Manual (which indicates that red =/= clipping), so does that apply to Alloy2/Trash2 as well?
Attached Thumbnails
Clipping in Izotope Trash + Alloy 2 = ???????????-screen-shot-2014-08-06-6.30.01-pm.png  
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Is this on an individual track or a mix bus? Individual tracks shouldn't be anywhere near that hot...
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugo View Post
Is this on an individual track or a mix bus? Individual tracks shouldn't be anywhere near that hot...
Individual tracks! And that is with the Input/Output Meters on their default positions @ zero in Izotope!
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

IME a lot of VSTs/soft-synths default to an unnecessarily high gain setting. I often find myself attenuating the pre-set gain/level by 40-60% so it will fit into the gain structure of the tune properly/not clip the channel.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaldansk View Post
Individual tracks! And that is with the Input/Output Meters on their default positions @ zero in Izotope!
Can I ask why you're running your channels so hot? You should try setting your individual channels between -12 and -18 db.

The other thing you have to understand is that if your signal is clipping in a VST, and then you turn down your channel fader, you're not preventing clipping. All you're doing is turning down the source that is already clipped. It's just less loud clipping.

Seems like you have some stuff to learn about proper gain staging techniques. Here's some essentials -

Recorded Audio or Audio Sources (Synths, instruments, etc...) should have an initial level of around -6db (the level in your soft synth... in the case of sylenth that would probably be the last or 2nd to last yellow light)

You should attenuate this using a channel fader to between -12 and -18db.

When you have all your elements in your mix, you can play with those levels to get the mix where you want because you will have headroom to work with.

Your mix, with your 2-bus plugins off, should peak between -6 and -10db.

The 2-bus is where you will acheive your loudness and full scale. Use your preference of a utility gain, compressor, limiter, etc... to life that to full scale. I typically start with a utility gain to bring it up a little bit, then I do an inital stage of EQing, then I multiband compress to glue things together, a second stage of EQing (typically with my nicest EQ), then use Limiter to maximize at full scale.

It's seems counter productive to turn things down first in order to pump them up later and achieve a better, clearer song at full scale loudness, but it works.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

So turn it down.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search