The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai S1100 Love in the house Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Akai S1100 Love in the house

just grabbed a slightly dingy S1100 from Craigslist. 10MB RAM, works good need to repair a few buttons using the double sided tape trick. Happy. The S1100's don't seem to come up often, not nearly as much as the S1000 so I paid more for it than a S1000.

This thing sounds exactly like what I was looking for. Old School 90's radio and MTV hit bliss. It just has that sound naturally- a little bit gritty, a mild mid presence, it just has the mojo. And overdriving the Pre sounds fantastic- no plug will sound exactly like it. I think my OTB collection is complete.
Old 7th August 2014
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockreid View Post
... need to repair a few buttons using the double sided tape trick...
What trick is that?

Quote:
I think my OTB collection is complete.

Possibly my favourite reverb that. Playing internal sin through on board verb is just dulcet.
Old 7th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
What trick is that?

Possibly my favourite reverb that. Playing internal sin through on board verb is just dulcet.
+1

Great verb.. Very FSOL Also octave split is a classic effect.
Old 7th August 2014
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
+1

Great verb.. Very FSOL Also octave split is a classic effect.
I had heard it for years, but actually it was your demo here, that put me on to it as a serious verb option. Thanks for that! I ended up buy my S1100 from a friendly GS member too.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

I just opened up my sampler to replace a few buttons that have lost their springiness. The buttons in the S1000/S1100 are different than the ones inside the MPC youtube video I researched. It seems I'll need actual Akai replacement buttons instead of the double-sided tape trick that guy used to repair his MPC. Also, the faceplate buttons are mounted to the faceplate in the S-series using an epoxy and have to be gently pried off using a small flathead screwdriver. I already emailed mpchunter.com to see if they have buttons that will work. We'll see. There are 3 on my 1990 vintage unit that I want to replace. They all work but don't retract enough to feel comfortable to work with.

After my quick refurb of these buttons and a new backlight my old S1100 will be good as new.
Old 7th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
I had heard it for years, but actually it was your demo here, that put me on to it as a serious verb option. Thanks for that! I ended up buy my S1100 from a friendly GS member too.
Sorry, you misremembered, this demo isn't mine.

Old 7th August 2014
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
Sorry, you misremembered, this demo isn't mine.

Oh, sorry, my mistake. I vaguely remembered this thread, where artech909's demo was posted, shortly after your championing of the S1100 verb.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Here are some shots of inside the faceplate. I removed 3 buttons with a small flathead screwdriver. Next is to clean up the epoxy so new stuff can get a good bond. The PCB with the switches bolts firmly to the back of these switches so the epoxy would seem to be mainly for assembly. But I would think it would give that much more firmness to the switch action as well.

IMG_0273 by rockreid, on Flickr

IMG_0274 by rockreid, on Flickr

Here is a switch that has lost its springy-ness. There a two small plastic lever type springs that lose their mojo after 24 years.

IMG_0277 by rockreid, on Flickr
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

another step in the restoration of this fine beast. I installed a new backlight and the screen is 100%. Easy fix. I'm expecting OS4.3 chips this week so I can eliminate the floppy and replace it with a SCSI CF card. What was once a 1990 relic gathering dust on a garage shelf will soon be making beats and sampling my synths at the heart of my setup.

I cleaned what appears to be spilled coffee or cola staining on the buttons and with a little graphite lube fixed them and they are all working great. Something sticky was keeping them from proper action. No new buttons needed.
Old 10th August 2014
I have a post from when I got my 1100, the SCSI card didn't work. Turned out to be one single cold solder joint from the factory.... I gave up on it twice before thinking that it could just be something simple and looked over the card solder.

For your CF card adapter, I highly recommend the art mix options for these, they work great.
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I already emailed mpchunter.com .
MPChunter isn't a shop. His site is just info and links to sellers.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search