The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How do you use OTB effects in Logic? Digital Converters
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Nut

How do you use OTB effects in Logic?

By using them in same way as you use traditional aux sends and returns.

Just wondering how you all do this?
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Yep.

Create an aux buss, set its output to the physical output of my interface > unit > input x > track in Logic.

Or for 100% in-line, set the track in question output to the physical output of my interface to the effect unit in question > effect output to input > new track.

Sounds complicated in writing but it's not.

Plus if you want to get posh, you can compress or eq going in or out.
Old 6th August 2014
depends on your setup. i run the outs of my interface into the channel ins of the console and run my hardware fx though the auxes on the console. if you dont have a desk, you can use the channel in/out of your interface to connect to the sends and returns of your hardware fx and run it that way. there are lots of ways to approach it. find the one that works best for you.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

if you want to mix it in sync/live with the rest of your song, use the I/O plugin. It reports PDC latency to Logic.

it effectively doubles your latency though. i go straight to summing with my outboard FX for this reason (i.e. no I/O plugin).
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

you don't necessarily HAVE to report the latency on reverb
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

you do if you use it as a hardware insert.

DAC > Reverb > ADC - an extra roundtrip+
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

This is true however reverbs and whatnot (for me at least) or not so critical if there're a few ms off, especially on high sample rates like 96k. Hardware compressors probably would need a nudge to be put back in 'correct' time honestly I never bother, not that I use hardware compressors on individual tracks anyway. Only thing I compress is the entire 2 buss mix on a Fatso. So in that case the latency DA > AD is irrelevant.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

yea if you run at 96K on 64 buffer you should be fine. 256 plus you will notice for sure.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

I wasn't talking about the device processing latency.

I was talking about audio interface latency and Logic's I/O buffers.

Not everyone can achieve blisteringly low system latency.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

I just record straight in.
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Nut

I guess most people here use desks / consoles then. I'm looking at something more rack based, either a mixer or an interface to start with.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRand View Post
Not everyone can achieve blisteringly low system latency.
Not really, my system is nothing special, a 2013 i7 iMac with an RME UCX. I can easily get 96k 24bit 32 samples. Possibly even go to 192k but honestly it's in the order of a few ms delay now. Prior I had a Mac Pro 2008 with a Apogee Rosetta 800, couldn't get less than 96k/24 256 samples with that set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlauPunk View Post
I guess most people here use desks / consoles then. I'm looking at something more rack based, either a mixer or an interface to start with.
I don't use a desk at all, everything goes in and out of my interface/Logic like a big tape recorder / mixer. Though I do dump my mixes to a potrastudio 4-track. and continue mixing OTB off there.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lain2097 View Post
I can easily get 96k 24bit 32 samples.

Not something I can achieve on my (high track count) system. I'd need a new computer, and expect that would have to be a PC.

I've dealt with enough people's latency problems on forums to know many aren't running under 5ms roundtrip.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Well it's time for a new machine then, though yes I almost always have less than 10 audio tracks. Honestly I don't understand high track count thing but probably that's just my straight forward tunes. Of that it's mostly MIDI and hardware, very little software I use other than basic eq, compression, delays and EXS24.

Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Sorry, I meant high channel count - for summing, synths and outboard FX routing. Summing alone eats up outputs.

I find having too many tracks on the arrange confusing - makes my eyes hurt. No more than 10-20 tracks.

I'm running a Digiface with different converters over ADAT. Unfortunately, one of my converters has ADAT-only latency of ~3.7ms (bloody Prism!), and I have to add Logic's I/O buffer (x2) and the Digiface's buffering on top of that.

Also, many people are using audio interface's that just can't reliably achieve under 5ms latency - my Orpheus doubles it's buffers when I switch to 96k for instance, so 96k only halves the latency of Logic's I/O buffers.
Old 6th August 2014
Here is how I do it using a MOTU 24i/o interface.

1. On your channel send, select the buss number you want to use and the amount of signal.
2. On that buss, select the output to the device you are using. In my case you can see where they are going because MOTU allows you to write the name of the device.
3. Create an aux return.
4. Select the output of that device on the aux return.
5. Have fun.
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Nut

I might get a Focusrite interface, any known latency with them on older macs?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search