The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ableton vs Cubase Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 6th October 2014
Lives for gear

Better than a crash though
Old 6th October 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto View Post
(and again, I love it and use it every day, so there is some vitriol for a product I rely on and really like most aspects of, but , get some stuff straight please.. )
You and I are on the exact same page. They sure charge enough to make this happen, so I sure as hell hope that this dream becomes a reality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknatronik View Post
the great thing about cubase is you only have to use cubase... no need to create in one and mix in another Cubase can and does do it all.
I produce, mix, and master (with Ozone 5 on the master buss) all in Live and I have had pretty damn good results. It's taken four+ years to learn how to mix at a level where I can do that, but I'm certain I would get pretty much identical mixes by using Cubase.

I just like the way Live is set up better. I don't like the different tools in Cubase, I like the way the devices show up at the bottom of the screen when you click on a track, I prefer Live's midi editing, etc.
Old 6th October 2014
I frequent cubase forums a good bit and a lot of people have issues with cubase. I am not sure why and I have a feeling a lot is user related. I have a home built pc and have never had an issue where I couldnt use cubase... Maybe im lucky. They were supposed to be making mac more stable from what I remember. Tempralmix I feel ya, it is all in the workflow... I do not work for steinberg, but feel like it praising them, lol One thing I will say is the customer support I have gotten when I did need them was fast and helpful. Whatever you choose, just get to making music!
Old 6th October 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknatronik View Post
I frequent cubase forums a good bit and a lot of people have issues with cubase. I am not sure why and I have a feeling a lot is user related. I have a home built pc and have never had an issue where I couldnt use cubase... Maybe im lucky. They were supposed to be making mac more stable from what I remember. Tempralmix I feel ya, it is all in the workflow... I do not work for steinberg, but feel like it praising them, lol One thing I will say is the customer support I have gotten when I did need them was fast and helpful. Whatever you choose, just get to making music!
I agree completely. I'm really jealous of Cubase for certain things.

5.1 surround mixing, a more stable software build, note transcription, and tempo detection are all things that I wish desperately that Live would have. Maybe in Live 15 it'll have everything I want lol.
Old 6th October 2014
Gear Maniac

... I have a home built PC and Cubase 7.5 is solid here too. Problems are either my errors (e.g file management ) or rare 3rd party software issues.
Telephone support in Berlin ive always found very helpful.

... No need jealous. Ableton delivers (ive used both). I really like Cubase 7.5 overall, but a few aspects of it are negative to my of working. I simply isolate these from my worklow and workaround wherever possible, so i can focus on production.

Happy music making too
Old 6th October 2014
This is like asking what ice cream do you prefer. Vanillla? Or chocolate? They both look and taste different, but they are both ice cream. Some will prefer vanilla, some will prefer chocolate. Some will like both. Some will like neither. And this is pretty much how this thread (and many other similar threads about other gear on this forum) reads. In my experience, the DAW that best suits someone is the DAW that best suits the tastes and needs of that particular individual. You really need to try the demo versions for yourself. I just wish you didn't have to buy that stupid dongle to try an evaluation copy of Cubase (but it certainly is cheaper than plunking down the full purchase price).

I'm a long time Ableton user. But I've also used Pro Tools and Reason in the past and more recently Studio One. They all have something to offer to the user willing to roll up their sleeves and really work to learn the program. I bought the dongle for Cubase with the intention of trying it out, but couldn't get past the feeling that it was a bit bloated with features etc that I would never use. I never bothered to install it. Again, like much of the information you will find on the internet, this is my completely subjective, and quite possibly misinformed, opinion. Don't rely on it. Instead go out there, try them out and decide which you prefer.
Old 12th January 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakir77 View Post
I didn't think I would write this but... Ableton doesn't sound as good as Cubase. At least it sounds different.
I just re-opened ancient sessions in Ableton 9 and thought I was going to mix them within Ableton. Electro pop productions à la Naked & Famous (lots of "layers"...)
After having worked a lot on Cubase lately (large mix sessions), the overall sound in Ableton sounded like "compressed" and a bit unclear to my ears. So I've exported the audio tracks of the song and imported them in Cubase.
The mix in Cubase 7.5 is clearer with more headroom. The overall definition is better. It's more "3D". The low frequencies are really there. Like a more real or natural thing. I didn't expect such a big difference.
Sorry for the approximate english.
The funny thing is I don't even think I have a particularly good ear, but I can hear this too. Very prominently.

When I hear people working with Live - I can totally recognise it straight away. I really don't like the sound.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search