The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Korg ARP Odyssey Update Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 6th August 2014
Here for the gear

Korg ARP Odyssey Update

Right, so I know a synthesizer tech here in NJ, and Korg contacted him earlier this year about the upcoming reissue, and I was able to get some possible info. NOTE: I am not saying all this is 100% but these are ideas he said Korg is apparently throwing around:

1. For a limited time, they might be offering all 3 revs (whiteface, black/gold, black/orange)

2. Apparently it's going to be an affordable synth (along the lines of the MS20 Mini)

3. It probably will be a mini-Odyssey, along the lines of the MS20 Mini

That's all I got from him, and that's all he got from Korg. Hope all of it is true!
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Very interesting if true

Multiple versions and mini format would fit with the MS20.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

On the issue of build quality and size, I'm impartial.

However, looking at it logically from Korg's pov and as a musical instrument maker in the business of making money:

Odyssey Full size, very well built chassis + high cost ........ Approx 500 sales in a year

Odyssey Mini with MS20mini style cost and quality ......... Approx 4000+ sales in a year.

I can see exactly why they would take this route.
Old 6th August 2014
All three revs - great idea.

Mini version (presumably with mini keys) - bad idea.
Old 6th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
All three revs - great idea.

Mini version (presumably with mini keys) - bad idea.
I'm sure it will have a MIDI input, and probably some CV.
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Addict

Kybd wzd :Ditto
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

I'd rather have no keys than minikeys.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesforarp View Post
1. For a limited time, they might be offering all 3 revs (whiteface, black/gold, black/orange)
Korg has a very long history of making different colors for their synths, my guess is that they will do this again but other than color scheme they will be exactly the same, all have the same filters, oscs, etc

Quote:
2. Apparently it's going to be an affordable synth (along the lines of the MS20 Mini)
it has to be if they want to sell more than a few hundred copies

Quote:
3. It probably will be a mini-Odyssey, along the lines of the MS20 Mini

That's all I got from him, and that's all he got from Korg. Hope all of it is true!
again it has to be if they want to sell more than a few hundred copies

these are just like the MircoKorgs and Microkorg XLs, they will come in different colors, but be the same synth, it will have mini keys, and will sell for $599 just like the MS20, when these hit the street the MS20 Mini will drop in price to $499
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Addict

I prefer to wait for the full-size kit with a choice of filters for $1400 than buy a mini version.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

I just found out from another anonymous source that it also will include audio out and be wall powered, and make strange pitched sci fi noises as you play up and down the keys and twiddle it's sliders.
Old 6th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by enossified View Post
Old 6th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
I just found out from another anonymous source that it also will include audio out and be wall powered, and make strange pitched sci fi noises as you play up and down the keys and twiddle it's sliders.
Yes... as usual, these rumors are "suspect," especially when being posted by someone apparently brand new to the forum.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
It would look cool as a desktop unit, and would be more acceptable in a smaller size. Would love an MS20 and Odyssey desktop ala MS2000R/JP8080 style. (perhaps rackable too)

Would be even cheaper to produce and probably please a few of us who hate mini keys
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
Yes... as usual, these rumors are "suspect," especially when being posted by someone apparently brand new to the forum.
I was going less on the "suspect" part and more on the "obviously" factor, because anyone moderately aware of Korg's business strategies could have come to those same conclusions.
Old 6th August 2014
sweet I hoped it would be mini and affordable...space is at a premium these days...

imagine if they could bring it in a £500 like the ms20mini...it would fly out the doors I rekon...
Old 6th August 2014
Quote:
Woefully, yes.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
It would look cool as a desktop unit, and would be more acceptable in a smaller size. Would love an MS20 and Odyssey desktop ala MS2000R/JP8080 style. (perhaps rackable too)
Maybe like this (?):

I have to say if this source is in any way genuine on the minikeys then my GAS levels have gone from 'uber-excited' to 'not so bothered'.
Old 6th August 2014
I too would rather have a module most of the time, regardless of key size. However I don't really see the problem. If they're mini keys they won't get in the way that much. Just hook up a better controller and use it as a module.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Can't believe these sort of rumors on here, after seeing others make up this sort of thing just for fun.
Old 6th August 2014
Im starting to feel having keys psychologically is nice to me because it makes the device more of a discrete instrument you can focus on...as opposed to focussing on the saurons eye of the DAW...
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Head

If it's coming with mini keys, I hope it will also come with mini MIDI ports so that the supporters of the mini keys can buy it even cheaper and feel the same pain keyboard players feel.

I'm totally not interested in mini keys.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd rather have minikeys than no new ody.
Old 6th August 2014
F5D
Lives for gear

The OP has two posts here at GS. Still, I would prefer full size keys, or a module, with MIDI.
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Maniac

I'm more worried about the midi capabilities than the form factor for the new Odyssey. Hopefully it won't be stuck on channel one like the MS-20 mini is. Regardless, there's a white face Odyssey with my name on it!
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

4. It wouldn't be an exact replica then, would it?
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

A Mini Oddy would be awesome.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astralform View Post
I'm more worried about the midi capabilities than the form factor for the new Odyssey. Hopefully it won't be stuck on channel one like the MS-20 mini is. Regardless, there's a white face Odyssey with my name on it!
I would expect to be disappointed then...something tells me that MS20's midi is exactly what this will get.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

If it the mini keys like the on the MS-20 for the price of the Mini, that sounds good to me. I may get one after all.
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
I would expect to be disappointed then...something tells me that MS20's midi is exactly what this will get.
Yup. It wouldn't surprise me either. A few jumper blocks on the main circuit board to select the midi channel would be cool. Even better would be a channel switch (like the old SCSI ID number) on the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Korg ARP Odyssey Update-skener_umax_powerlook_ii-_scsi_id.jpg  
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Maniac

I was told by MY source... it's an EXACT replica meaning no mini keys (but despite my questioning on this I'm not 100% convinced there might not be some assumption in there) - we will not see a production model until 2015... and it will not say ARP anywhere on it due to a third party owning that name in a particular territory. Make of that what you will...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search