The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Korg ARP Odyssey Update Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
Can't believe these sort of rumors on here, after seeing others make up this sort of thing just for fun.
Especially when the OP has a total of 2 posts. I don't understand what these kids get out of trolling. When I was a kid, I was about having a good time and getting ass.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

More than anything, this reminds me that an official update on the Odyssey is well overdue.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enossified View Post
I'd rather have no keys than minikeys.
Then treat like a module, problem solved. Or use a sequencer, I could careless about the size of the keys on the ms20mini.
Old 7th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
Then treat like a module, problem solved. Or use a sequencer, I could careless about the size of the keys on the ms20mini.
Maybe you couldn't care less, but you're missing the point.

For some of us, mini keys are too small to bother trying to play, but do in fact get in the way and take up extra space vs. a module. No possibility of rack mounting it, and desktop space is at an ultra-premium.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enossified View Post
I'd rather have no keys than minikeys.
Absolutely. Give me a module, rather than a silly toy keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
It would look cool as a desktop unit, and would be more acceptable in a smaller size. Would love an MS20 and Odyssey desktop ala MS2000R/JP8080 style. (perhaps rackable too)
Would be even cheaper to produce and probably please a few of us who hate mini keys
I'm afraid that we are quite more than a few - just read this thread!
A module, however, would suite me well.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemosit View Post
No possibility of rack mounting it, and desktop space is at an ultra-premium.
I've dissembled my MS-20 Mini and the keyboard part is easily removable. Then of course there's the microKORG....

Old 7th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member View Post
Then of course there's the microKORG....

Which you're playing with a 25-key Micro X?

Well, at least Korg put full-sized keys on that one...
Old 7th August 2014
if it is a mini version …...................................................then I'm off to buy the original.

update: forget even the original, that will just drop in value after these cheap ones come out. So screw it, all these cheap re-issues are just bad to own a vintage Korg if they keep doing this.

I'm not in it for profit, I just don't want to lose so much money. One of the advantages to owning vintage is that it hold value so you are able to try it, use it, sell it, get your money back. Korg is killing this safety net.

update update: hmmm , now Roland's reluctancy to re-issue might be a good thing...hm...who knew.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Head

Oh yeah? Well I have a source that tells me Korg are making this DOUBLE the size of the original. They are calling it the HAARPY (Huge Ass ARP Yes!) Odyssey. The marketing will read "Go big or go home!".
Old 7th August 2014
They did it with the Ms20!
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
Which you're playing with a 25-key Micro X?

Well, at least Korg put full-sized keys on that one...
That isn't actually a pic of mine, but I posted it since there's several people who do this sort of thing with multiple synths, both big and small. Pretty much all keybeds are made to be detachable, it's just a matter of rebuilding part of the case. Someone actually did the opposite and made a mega Juno-106

Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
it has to be if they want to sell more than a few hundred copies

again it has to be if they want to sell more than a few hundred copies
The Moog Voyager sold over 35000 units and this figure was around 2010

MS-20 Mini was near 15000 mark early this year

If KORG did a full size from the start that would have allowed it to be cheaper than the MS-20 Kit, besides the kit was probably overpriced on purpose anyway..

Besides many people actually prefer and love the mini size anyway.

So yeah the way you think of the analog market and it's numbers etc is wrong.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by volumetrik View Post
Korg is not Moog

Quote:
link? and no doubt cheap instruments sell well, especially if they have mini keys

Quote:
Besides many people actually prefer and love the mini size anyway.
yep I'm one of them

Quote:
So yeah the way you think of the analog market and it's numbers etc is wrong.
really prove it, prove that a full sized more expensive Oddy would sell better than a cheap mini keyed version

and for the record the Microkorg is the best selling synth pf all time with hundreds of thousands sold
Old 7th August 2014
Quote:

I am just curious as to where you get sales figures like this...?
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
and for the record the Microkorg is the best selling synth pf all time with hundreds of thousands sold
And I'm curious about this data of "hundreds of thousands sold."

Maybe it includes every one advertised in Craigslist?
Old 7th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
I am just curious as to where you get sales figures like this...?
Agreed we should require a link to the source along with the post.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
And I'm curious about this data of "hundreds of thousands sold."

Maybe it includes every one advertised in Craigslist?
The Korg MicroKorg: The Most Popular Synthesizer Of All Time?

MATRIXSYNTH: KORG MicroKORG Beats The Yamaha DX7?

Korg Microkorg XL

Korg microKorg XL+ | Music Tech reviews | MusicRadar
Old 7th August 2014
uh.... that just says from the Korg rep they produced 100,000 but doesnt say any sales numbers, just they were produced.

Also your sources are sellers, uh they just want to sell it.

Also the price was so cheap and in a different era who cares. The amount of people you're able to reach when the dx7 was out to now for the Microkorg doesnt compare.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Nut

Don't worry guys.

Korg is not going to make a mini version like they did with the MS20.

According to my source, actually this time they have decided to make it 20% larger than the original ARP.

Except for the increased size, all specs will be exactly as the original, although MIDI capabilities are likely to be included.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Wouldn't mind mini keys at all as long as they replicate the sound at a cheap price point. I've never had any "infamously cheap" synth break on me, and I feel like people on these forums always make build quality into a much bigger issue than it is. Honestly, if they can make a synth that sounds identical to an arp odyssey for $600, it could be housed in a shoebox and I'd be happy.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for the information.

I can see a "hundred thousand" 5 years ago. But when you say "hundreds of thousands" to me that implies much more than a hundred thousand, therefore to me hard to believe even 5 years later.

And the Voyager selling 35,000 units? That seems very high to me...even combining every color plus the old school version.
Old 7th August 2014
Here for the gear

Hope it's a mini cause I'm an interested though poor lemon sucker. I'm fine with saving $700 and MIDIing up the bastard. The price of a mini version if the sound is right may likely bring the price of the original into an area a faithful recreation would have been anyway give or take a few hundred (perusing ebay and the various MS-20s lead me to this way of thinking). Those who wan't the luxury of something that fits them like a glove can pay for it by getting the original, those who can't comfortably afford that have a nice option. I wouldn't pout or hold any ill will if korg made a pricey totally faithful recreation, not everything needs to be for me, but I'm hoping for a mini.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
Agreed we should require a link to the source along with the post.
Are you doubting those numbers?
Old 7th August 2014
Quote:
Are you doubting those numbers?
No, of you read it,it says they produced that many. Where are the sales numbers. There's a difference between the two.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member View Post
That isn't actually a pic of mine, but I posted it since there's several people who do this sort of thing with multiple synths, both big and small. Pretty much all keybeds are made to be detachable, it's just a matter of rebuilding part of the case. Someone actually did the opposite and made a mega Juno-106

I feel like I've had a stroke.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astralform View Post
I'm more worried about the midi capabilities than the form factor for the new Odyssey. Hopefully it won't be stuck on channel one like the MS-20 mini is. Regardless, there's a white face Odyssey with my name on it!
I kinda feel like Korg treats midi as such an afterthought that we will be lucky if it has any midi ports.
Old 7th August 2014
The mini keys on the ms20 mini are pure ****e. However, better than nothing - good to have something right there to hit to audition the sound you're building. So I would be happy enough with a mini ody.

I have a special project waiting to be released using the ms20 mini... If that goes well I will be getting the new ody, for the same thing.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Surely they will do a kit version to keep the full-sizers happy?

Personally I don't mind the mini keys - I am far more worried about the sliders. If they are short slots and of ****ty quality it will kill the whole thing for me.
Old 7th August 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
The mini keys on the ms20 mini are pure ****e. However, better than nothing - good to have something right there to hit to audition the sound you're building. So I would be happy enough with a mini ody.
I accuse you of having a down to earth and thoughtful attitude. May you never live it down.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemosit View Post
Maybe you couldn't care less, but you're missing the point.

For some of us, mini keys are too small to bother trying to play, but do in fact get in the way and take up extra space vs. a module. No possibility of rack mounting it, and desktop space is at an ultra-premium.
What if its a choice between mini oddy and no oddy?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search