The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best synth for industrial? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

DX7. It does it all. You don't even have to know how to program it. There are a bazillion patches you can download for free. You can curate your own library. It has an inimitable sound--piercing, fat, rich, snarly, full. It records great and stands out. You can buy a Moog MF-101 lowpass filter with the leftover $ and really make it fat.

DX7 love. I miss mine. Never should have sold it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Blofeld
Old 1 week ago
Since when did industrial music get taken over by hipsters?

Many of the industrial musicians I look up to used the best equipment they could afford, and pushed those instruments in directions that were unique.

I always see recommendations for 20 year old synths that lack all the modern tech. Don’t you want to sound different? Push the envelope?

I get it. This happens with all sorts of genres after they become co-opted or go mainstream. There are tropes and “standards” that emerge, and the music becomes generic and the culture watered down.

If you want to sound like the musicians you listen to, fine. All the above suggestions are probably excellent.

If you are trying to innovate, go elsewhere. Buy the best modern stuff you can afford... used modern sampling romplers, used modular, software... at least these haven’t been probed to death.
Old 1 week ago
+1 on the mini nova the OP suggested. Does all the things you are asking it to do. Deep little synth as well.
Old 1 week ago
VDB
Gear Addict

I will echo what’s being said by others here, but it really depends on your idea of industrial.
Even staples like skinny puppy have changed their sound from one album to the next.
So to recommend a specific synth is not only difficult, but a bit of a fools errand tbh.
What I would recommend is getting an affordable poly and a sampling groove box (or just a sampler if you are sequencing from your daw) and a bunch of different effects pedals. And then sample sounds off of YouTube, the subway, your dish washer, garbage truck etc.
What is it that you are after in terms of hardware? What aren’t you getting from your daw?
What daw are you using?

I’ve lately been using an iPad through pedals into an mpc, that seems to get me lots of the sounds I am looking for. Add some guitar and that’s all I’ve got.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
It hasn't. I go to industrial nights at clubs and attend concerts regularly and generally do not see hipsters at all. They only go to safe places sterilized by gentrification and remade into playgrounds designed to cater to and support their form of life. Bunch of coddled spoiled brat narcissists and they don't have interest in anything outside of their limited comfort zone. Like tropical fish in an aquarium. And even less useful...

As for the topic I recommend Gotharman's products as they seem almost as though they are specifically designed for Industrial or related music genres.
I own the PolySpaze and it's essentially everything you need for Industrial music in one portable box.

PolySpaze_2

Here's a small taste of it's sound.

Last edited by Hollowman9; 1 week ago at 05:22 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Many of the industrial musicians I look up to used the best equipment they could afford, and pushed those instruments in directions that were unique.

I always see recommendations for 20 year old synths that lack all the modern tech. Don’t you want to sound different? Push the envelope?

I get it. This happens with all sorts of genres after they become co-opted or go mainstream. There are tropes and “standards” that emerge, and the music becomes generic and the culture watered down.

If you want to sound like the musicians you listen to, fine. All the above suggestions are probably excellent.

If you are trying to innovate, go elsewhere. Buy the best modern stuff you can afford... used modern sampling romplers, used modular, software... at least these haven’t been probed to death.
I'd disagree. For example, modern sample-based instruments sound too hi-fi. And it's great for one kind of things but, you see, there's sadly no modern substitute for the likes of Wavestation or D-50 character-wise and since they are proper synths as well and not just romplers there's nothing stopping one from getting fresh sounds out of them (but thankfully they come as VST now!)

It's the same as saying that analog subtractive synthesis is for hipsters due to it being around for half of a century with zero innovation (if anything most modern analog synths don't seem to offer anything but saw/pulse waves and are mostly monophonic, non-programmable). Or saying that somebody doing rock music should just stop using his guitars because there has been nothing new in how they are designed for decades. And let's not mention those damn violins!

Instrument is an instrument and each has its own use and character.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

We played with a band recently the had a microkorg, an Ipad & some steel bars to beat on. Industrial can really be what you want it to be.

Mirage? I really love the Mirage but, it really doesn't have the onboard memory & everything is on floppy.

Bang for your buck? Keep your eyes open. There's a K2500s listed locally for $350. I see deals, all the time. Be patient.

End game. When I started back in, I picked up an Ensoniq SQ1plus for $100. I still sample off of it. Its a great machine. If you want to add a sampler, you can pick up an Akai S2000 for next to nothing, maxed with 32mb & scsi. They link right up with 1g & 2g Jaz drives. I also have an E-mu ESI200 that is maxed. I picked it up for $40. They are a little more finicky with drives but, mine runs great with a 1g Jaz. Ive acquired quite a few Synths/samplers, the last few years. My live setup is pretty solidified, now. I'll explain the why's, in a minute. Maybe they can save you some hassle or, possibly lead you in a direction that suits you. I run 2 main keyboards & rack sampler. The ASR10 & the EPS16, are my keys. Both have zip drives, so I can share files between them, if needed. My rack sampler is the Akai S2000, I mentioned before. The reasons I run the EPS16 & the ASR10 are the effects sections & the ability to load different channels, which are ready to go. Once I'm set up, I don't have to load anything, during a set. The ASR10 has a lot more memory than the EPS16. Both are maxed out. So my larger files go there. The Akai has no effects section in it(it was a factory option, mine doesn't have it)but, it has the max 32mb. I run that from a channel on the EPS16, cause' it takes no memory. It's a great sounding rig & quite versatile.
the list of other equipment I use to sample & for sampling are as follows
-EPS Classic(No effects section was offered in this keyboard but, the 13bit sound is my favorite)
-Ensoniq SQ1(Great sounding units that can make a great controller)
-Yamaha SY35(Cheaper vector synth that has a great sound to it)
-Mirage(doesn't get a lot of use but it's around when I need something really gritty)
Imagination
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I would get amps, mikes, and FX pedals or rack units before any synths. A yamaha DX11 could be a good sound source for 100 bucks though. More interesting than some FM synths mentioned here: Pitch enveloppe, midi effects, 8 parts multi-timbral. Good industrial drum machine too if you learn to craft sounds.

Just an example: Roland cube, AKG d1200, Yamaha DX 11, Monarch eem-300, Digitech studio quad: equal or less than 425$ total.

Quote:
fat buzzy bass, big leads, pads, and bells
DX11

Last edited by Sam an huel; 1 week ago at 04:13 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
It hasn't. I go to industrial nights at clubs and attend concerts regularly and generally do not see hipsters at all. They only go to safe places sterilized by gentrification and remade into playgrounds designed to cater to and support their form of life. Bunch of coddled spoiled brat narcissists and they don't have interest in anything outside of their limited comfort zone. Like tropical fish in an aquarium. And even less useful...

As for the topic I recommend Gotharman's products as they seem almost as though they are specifically designed for Industrial or related music genres.
I own the PolySpaze and it's essentially everything you need for Industrial music in one portable box.

PolySpaze_2

Here's a small taste of it's sound.
Not that I disagree with your hipster statement.. but goth industrial died with napster.

Very few if any of the classic metropolis acts are pushing anything but the four on the floor, angry vocal stuff everyone else is. That says a lot about the myopia the scene has taken on over the last two decades.

Goth industrial is like country music now. It's defined by a sound and not an attitude. There's very little wiggle room and if you want to circle back to your comment, it's wiggling in their own, yet separate, aquarium.
Old 1 week ago
Deleted User
For that budget it’s easy: Blofeld.

Add a Digitakt later.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrosonus View Post
Not that I disagree with your hipster statement.. but goth industrial died with napster.

Very few if any of the classic metropolis acts are pushing anything but the four on the floor, angry vocal stuff everyone else is. That says a lot about the myopia the scene has taken on over the last two decades.

Goth industrial is like country music now. It's defined by a sound and not an attitude. There's very little wiggle room and if you want to circle back to your comment, it's wiggling in their own, yet separate, aquarium.
Not from where I stand. Old bands making comebacks, old bands that are still going strong, new bands reinventing the formula to good effect.
Then there’s packed dancefloors in clubs, concerts filled to the rafters, more rivetheads out walking the city streets than I’ve seen in decades.
I’m thinking the renaissance is in the making.

Like Punk it’s died and been reborn a few times. Sometimes it just stagnated in some undead purgatory awhile.

Country literally is an undead zombie that refuses to properly decompose. I think it’s cruel and unfair to compare any kind of music to modern country.
I think you should apologize for that sir or I’ll demand satisfaction

Seriously I predict an upswing. The crowds I’m seeing these days are starting to remind me of the good old days before it just turned into a fashion show. Lots of positive energy and enthusiasm with people young and old alike.
Good times are here again
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
+1 on the mini nova the OP suggested. Does all the things you are asking it to do. Deep little synth as well.
The Novation is great, but go for the Ultranova, much better keyboard, much better user interface. Much more fun to use overall.

Changing an oscillator waveform on the mininova takes 3 levels of menu diving.
Old 1 week ago
Deleted User
Quote:
Not from where I stand. Old bands making comebacks, old bands that are still going strong, new bands reinventing the formula to good effect.
Then there’s packed dancefloors in clubs, concerts filled to the rafters, more rivetheads out walking the city streets than I’ve seen in decades.
I’m thinking the renaissance is in the making.

Like Punk it’s died and been reborn a few times. Sometimes it just stagnated in some undead purgatory awhile.

Country literally is an undead zombie that refuses to properly decompose. I think it’s cruel and unfair to compare any kind of music to modern country.
I think you should apologize for that sir or I’ll demand satisfaction

Seriously I predict an upswing. The crowds I’m seeing these days are starting to remind me of the good old days before it just turned into a fashion show. Lots of positive energy and enthusiasm with people young and old alike.
Good times are here again
Industrial is back in NYC. There are many parties and bands and promoters doing industrial nights.

Nikki Sneakers is a big part of the reason why NYC goth industrial is flourishing.

And labels like https://aufnahmeundwiedergabe.bandcamp.com
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by godlesshorror View Post
Industrial is back in NYC. There are many parties and bands and promoters doing industrial nights.

Nikki Sneakers is a big part of the reason why NYC goth industrial is flourishing.

And labels like https://aufnahmeundwiedergabe.bandcamp.com
Excellent, glad to hear it. Philly had decent scene going 3 years ago but most of the seedy nightclubs with Goth/Industrial nights went under new ownership and reopened as Hipster-centric clubs. Some places in the smaller surrounding cities and burbs are stepping up though.
And now many Hipster clubs are starting to go under already so maybe we’ll get a reversal of the trend.
We’ve had tremendous success in Wilmington with the Steven Singer tribute parties and people are asking about them becoming regular events now.
Both of them sold out at Bar XIII.
He’ll need a bigger club if he decides to start spinning regularly again.

I’ve heard of that label. I’ve featured some of its bands in the New Industrial thread. Great to see new dedicated labels again!
Old 1 week ago
Deleted User
Quote:
Excellent, glad to hear it. Philly had decent scene going 3 years ago but most of the seedy nightclubs with Goth/Industrial nights went under new ownership and reopened as Hipster-centric clubs. Some places in the smaller surrounding cities and burbs are stepping up though.
And now many Hipster clubs are starting to go under already so maybe we’ll get a reversal of the trend.
We’ve had tremendous success in Wilmington with the Steven Singer tribute parties and people are asking about them becoming regular events now.

I’ve heard of that label. I’ve featured some of its bands in the New Industrial thread. Great to see new dedicated labels again!
Lost Soul Enterprises is a solid promoter.

Bands like Statiqbloom and clubs like St. Vitus and Elsewhere help

There is a ton of stuff like this https://www.eventbrite.com/e/min-min...s-46292968515# popping up all over Brooklyn ... from Greenpoint to Bushwick to Industry City
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Whatever you can get away with. You just need to own that gear and push it past its limits.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Just get a sampler.. the Kurzweil recommendation is probably best as it's both a full blown sampler AND synth and it's great at both.

Sample mangling is your friend.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Just get a sampler.. the Kurzweil recommendation is probably best as it's both a full blown sampler AND synth and it's great at both.

There's even an industrial sound set you can download from Kurzweil that will get you started. There's one badass bass sound I want from it, but sadly, it didn't translate correctly when loading it on my PC3k.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Jackhammer and steel plate. Cheap!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Glad to hear the scene is still alive in many places. Toronto used to be a haven for the Goth Industrial crowd. You could go out 7 nights a week to different clubs for a wonderful time. The last club standing, Nocturne, just announced they are closing. Skyrocketing rents have push all non ********* places to close. Sad times.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
Glad to hear the scene is still alive in many places. Toronto used to be a haven for the Goth Industrial crowd. You could go out 7 nights a week to different clubs for a wonderful time. The last club standing, Nocturne, just announced they are closing. Skyrocketing rents have push all non ********* places to close. Sad times.
The scene is still alive and blooming all over the world. I’ve been seeing so many new bands from Mexico and Latin America the past few years too.
Seems to have become quite popular in that part of the world.
It’s very exciting!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Xpander....because it DOES NOT sound like a Roland.
Old 1 week ago
The scene is very much alive. I meant to say it has become standardized and homogenized. Part of that has to do with the gear.

Same with trance and Hoovers in the 90s, dx7 bass in top40 pop, supersaw and plucks in the 2000s, ni’s massive wave-shaping tricks in dubstep, etc.

Depends on if you are going for emulation or progressive sound design.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

MS 20
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post

Agreed.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Hard times...
Attached Thumbnails
Best synth for industrial?-cosmopolis.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I haven’t yet met a synth that I can’t make Industrial in some way
Old 1 week ago
If you want to emulate modern industrial, the best synth to have is a sampler.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I haven’t yet met a synth that I can’t make Industrial in some way
Now that you've mentioned it - looks like during late '80s, early '90s electro-industrial was made with literally whatever people had (and most stuff was not top end in any way). I've heard some group (probably Second Disease) using mostly FM synthesis on their early albums, not a typical choice at the time I believe.

Basically one has to answer the following questions

Is it a synth?
When you press a key does it make a sound?

If both are yes - you have a synth you can make an industrial with.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search