The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are you a true Gearslut...... Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Are you a true Gearslut......

Intrigued to see how many of us out there, maybe we can form a support group like AA.

This was posted by Mace Clef, not me, on a thread I started. But it's me down to a tee when I am GASSING, is this you?

Courtesy of Mace Clef....

Your rig is never done. Stuff comes, stuff goes.

The true Gearslut is always searching, always hunting, keen eyes and ears open for that next bit of kit that will satisfy their monthly lust. Watch every single youtube clip of it, even if you hate the music. Read the same SoundonSound article about it five times in a day. Type [synth of choice] into Gearslutz and KVR and see what everybody says about it. Then realise that you've already read those comments three times at some point that week. But you read them again anyway. Watch bald Sonic Lab dude fanny on about it. Then that Japanese chap. Repeat at 1am. Salivate over pictures of it on google images then take the dimensions down off the sweetwater/thomann site and measure where it will sit in your studio. Imagine your other gear around it.

You are never free.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

OMG!! I am one sick Slu !!!!!!!!!!
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

I definitely qualify .
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

I have a friend like that...
Old 4th August 2014
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtycircuit View Post
Intrigued to see how many of us out there, maybe we can form a support group like AA.

This was posted by Mace Clef, not me, on a thread I started. But it's me down to a tee when I am GASSING, is this you?

The true Gearslut is always searching, always hunting, keen eyes and ears open for that next bit of kit that will satisfy their monthly lust. Watch every single youtube clip of it, even if you hate the music. Read the same SoundonSound article about it five times in a day. Type [synth of choice] into Gearslutz and KVR and see what everybody says about it. Then realise that you've already read those comments three times at some point that week. But you read them again anyway. Watch bald Sonic Lab dude fanny on about it. Then that Japanese chap. Repeat at 1am. Salivate over pictures of it on google images then take the dimensions down off the sweetwater/thomann site and measure where it will sit in your studio. Imagine your other gear around it.

You are never free.
I am exactly like that. The looking up dimensions thing is on point.
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Head

Oh man i feel little sick....
Perfect timing though, this decribes me exactly. Its been sooooo long since i actually made some music..... Always building studios up and down and right and left and up and down......

I think its time to start using all this gear that is filling up BOTH of the studios in my house(a live one downstairs and personal electronic studio B upstairs)!!
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Every single bit of this statement is true!!! Just replace SOS by Amazona and it fits!

And the Packrat is spot on as always!!!
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Addict
Yep, that's me.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

So true, biggest problem for me is learning the gear I already have
TT-303,A4, tr-909,tr-808,op-1 etc. sure I know the basics but still have not figured out all the nuances.

Oh well, first world problems
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear
Don't forget Jexus

I'm just glad I don't have room for any more stuff and none of the stuff I have is something I'd want to get rid of.
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Nut

im sure this is 95% of this forum

im not as deep as some of the guys with the modulars and countless 500 modules, but im just now getting serious about my gear so im just jotting stuff down to get down to road

i've been lucky that i only had to pay for my vinyl, 500 on an 1240 audio technica turntable plus the crappy m447 cartridge + art phone preamp, oh and a little phatty for 700 2 months ago or so, lexicon mx 200 w/ crappy knobs for 80

my girl surprised me this week by getting me a prophet 08 which i had been talking about like that rat in the comic for weeks now, it should be here friday

i got an mpc 2500, and some krk rockit 6's for free 2 years ago, and my girls job was getting rid of an sp 808 so she got it for free

im now looking into getting jdi33 and a turntable cartridge, and possibly a mixer later in the year

then strymon pedals for the prophet, a dp4

im trying to strip it down to the bare necessities, i only use the sp 808 for fx, the zip drive nonsense is just a boner killer

the mx 200 just goes ape**** and display hieroglyphics

ill be getting rid of these 2 soon
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Guilty....as charged!
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Nut

Buying and understanding synths is culture. Do you really want to die without owning that Jupiter 8, Andromeda etc

Life's too short dudes. Buy and collect things you like.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossinThreshold View Post
Buying and understanding synths is culture. Do you really want to die without owning that Jupiter 8, Andromeda etc

Life's too short dudes. Buy and collect things you like.
I like the way you think!
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Hey, I resemble that remark! (OP)
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Head

Jeez I guess I am a slut. Right down to the measuring dimensions part lol.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

I'm totally guilty of every charge - except that the cure has come to me unrequested... I became poor. I hope it's just temporary, though.
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Head

Everything cept the measuring part; I buy first and worry where to put it later
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

I'm a perfect example for a gearzlut. I don't get any music done, it's all about the synths. I read about synths, I draw synth designs, I program synths, I buy and sell synths, I even put together a MidiBox SammichFM. Right now I just wait for the perfect synth. All the research and experience with different synths have helped me to figure out what I want.. I think....
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Maniac
Not really, but I am not a gear prude.
Old 4th August 2014
Here for the gear

I don't measure anything anymore. I created a floor plan of my studio in Visio years ago. I also maintain a Visio shape collection with all kinds of gear, in scale, so I can play trying to put them inside the studio while dreaming of new setups.

The original post describes myself perfectly.
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Addict
Totally me, but now a wiser Gearslut....
Was all about outboard gear almost done now I'm moving into synths...not so much vintage analog. I don't want to deal with maintenance and I'm not interested in modular synths either too much tinkering and not getting any work done. I am more interested in bang for buck pieces not one trick ponies.
Old 4th August 2014
Deleted User
I like to think in my heart I am but money won't always permit. I bought $150 step sequencer yesterday and I was already lusting after an Intellijel Metropolis sequencer and a Shapeshifter synth even though I have plans for 3 synths/drums and a PA system
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Nut

You forgot modular, I specifically won't buy any Eurorack stuff cause I know it will be the end of completing anything haha

Oh and rack gear, is it just me or is having an empty rack space the most annoying thing ever? :P
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Not me ... (Although I was a nooby one in the beginning ... )

I've very much decided years ago I don't want to be surrounded by keyboards and gear ...

I spend maybe $1,000 a year doing this or that with my setup ... Recently, upgraded computer, new LCD monitor, LPX and Maschine 2.0 (upgrade only) while adding a Microbrute ... (I reserve the right to go crazy at any given moment with my credit card ... But I'm old enough to know there's almost as much pleasure in the ... anticipation ... )

But other than that, it's pretty easy to contain my GAS ... At this point I know darn well that any new gear is not going make a titanic difference in what I create or my inspiration level (which is still high) ...

No doubt ... Getting new gear is great ... But it can very much be a distraction — for some personality types — if your true aim is recording music ...
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

You are never free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid88 View Post
You forgot modular, I specifically won't buy any Eurorack stuff cause I know it will be the end of completing anything haha

Oh and rack gear, is it just me or is having an empty rack space the most annoying thing ever? :P
The amount of times I have had to stop my self from buying a Happy Ending kit,
cos I know it's not gonna be a happy ending it's gonna never end, so I won't get into modular, or 500 series as that will be the end of making music.... But the amount of you tube clips I have watched on the Sh5 in the last few days is sick, someone needs to ban my google from any sh5 searches...... I need it....
Old 4th August 2014
Quote:

Your rig is never done. Stuff comes.

You are never free.
Yes!

Quote:
Stuff goes.
No!
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid88 View Post

Couldn't agree more on euro rack stuff and I hate that I bought a 3 bay sterling modular desk because of all the empty spaces I have to fill....
Old 4th August 2014
It comes and goes in phases.

I went pretty heavy into a synth acquisition phase last year. You run out of room eventually and I never get around to selling anything. I've got a Kawai K5 in my living room that needs to replace the Poly-800 on the 3-tier stand and I need to move the Poly-800 to the other side of the room on top of the organ. It's low on the priority list in terms of projects in the studio.

The other thing that cured the GAS was when things started breaking. Upkeep vs acquisition becomes a question at some point. In order for me to fit any more keyboards, I'd have to start removing guitars and that's not happening.

At some point, you acquire a collection that impresses even you. The gear buying slows way down. I'm proud to say that I've only had one major gear acquisition in 2014 and it was for my very first archtop guitar.

I'm of the opinion that once you get a couple drum machines, a cheap casio, an FM synth, a subtractive analog, an analog poly, a sampler, a phrase-based 303-like thing, and an additive synth, you're covered in terms of functionality.

Once you get the functionality covered, the rest is simply decisions about quality. Is a Prophet 08 better than a Poly-800? I think most people here would prefer the Prophet 08 and the real-time control, but that's only an issue if your music calls for real-time manipulation if that makes sense.

I've never been into collecting for the sake of collecting. My studio is full of tools that all serve a unique function. My guitar collection (25) which most people would find to be excessive is extremely broad when you consider the difference between a steel string acoustic and a nylon, or the difference between a cheap harmony/silvertone acoustic and a Martin. Once you get to electric guitars, it's not just Humbucker v Single Coil, it's also a question of bridge as a tele and a strat sound considerably different.

So, if you're buying a synth because it can do something you can't do already and that inspires you, go for it. But there comes a point where you're so focused on the gear, you forget why you bought it in the first place, and that was to make music in whatever form you define it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search