The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DIY 2600 for 1k? WOW. Desktop Synthesizers
Old 30th July 2014
DIY 2600 for 1k? WOW.

Umm...haven't seen anything about this here yet, feel free to merge/delete if there is...
The Two Thousand Six Hundred project (TTSH)

Quote:
The Two Thousand Six Hundred, or TTSH for short, is a replica of an old classic semi-modular synthesizer. Available as a kit containing PCBs and front panel, nothing is pre-built and no components are included, for you to build yourself.

The next run will happen sometime during fall.
This thing looks awesome. At 10k for the original it seems like a no-brainer. Anyone else liking this?
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

No components included?

So what the hell do you get? A case?

I'll sell you a computer for $1,000, but no microprocessors will be included.
Old 30th July 2014
Just keep in mind you have to build it yourself. I thought about doing it but I have so much gear right now that it would almost be pointless and would take a lot of time I could be using composing or sound designing.
Old 30th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
No components included?

Yeah that does sound weird, but I looked it up (in faq) and here's the deal-
Quote:
Q, What will the price be?
A, The exact price is not set yet. It will be announced on this site during August. But expect the build (I.e. this kit + components) to cost $1000 without the case.
That's better right?
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
No components included?

Yeah, its not too clear about what you actually get for the money. Wouldn't want to spend all that to find some parts are difficult to find or something.

Wouldn't go as far as a "no-brainer", but seems like a nice project if you've got that sort of money to spend.
Old 30th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNerell View Post
Just keep in mind you have to build it yourself. I thought about doing it but I have so much gear right now that it would almost be pointless and would take a lot of time I could be using composing or sound designing.

I'd pay a builder. My old hands are too shaky for anything other than maybe fixing a cable or 2.
Old 30th July 2014
Gear Guru

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...600-clone.html

1K sounds good if you can do it yourself, but it's not easy getting all the parts, and it'll cost quite a bit of your time.
Old 30th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...600-clone.html

1K sounds good if you can do it yourself, but it's not easy getting all the parts, and it'll cost quite a bit of your time.

Thanks, I figured this thing couldn't fly under the radar. End thread. Tons to read on the original.
Old 30th July 2014
Gear Head

I think people have just started finishing the first round of these.

The price on the site is for PCB:s, front panel (SEK 5000, ca 730 dollars) and SEK 2000 extra for the case, bringing the total to SEK 7000 or around 1000 dollars for pcb:s, panel and case.

You also need a rare parts kit, items from mouser, loudspeakers, reverb tank, power supply.

I think people who finished their build said it cost them around SEK 12000 which is around 1750 dollars. Still cheap compared to the original and they seem to sound very very nice. I'm contemplating buying the pcb:s next round.
Old 30th July 2014
Deleted User
I heard some Star Wars fans were building these so they could make R2-D2 noises all day long.
Old 31st July 2014
Gear Maniac

Appearance does not matter. This is not a DIY kit for the novice. If you have no experience soldering, then this isn't for you. Be prepared to lose the entire amount of your funding if you screw up. You won't be shipping your synth disaster to Sweden for a repair.
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I'd pay a builder. My old hands are too shaky for anything other than maybe fixing a cable or 2.
I'm definitely going to be building one of these when they are released. If you want me to build you one in a few months keep me in mind, price would be dependent on the overall build time but a synth that size would probably take 30-40 hours to finish... I'd want probably $500 to build it.
Old 31st July 2014
The kits have been available. From what I heard, the problem was that some of the parts are hard to get. GS member Altitude909 was building one of these for a customer. I asked him about it and he said that he personally felt that it isn't worth the cost considering the markup for the kit, which does not include all of the parts. I wonder how the job went. If I was going to have one built, I would definitely go with him, if he was up to it. I bought a x0xb0x from him a while back. I'm not going to get one of these though.

Oh, and somebody made a time lapsed video building one of these. It was pretty cool. It is on YouTube.
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

This is exactly where user groups and good diy sites com into their own. Once you get a group mouser (or whoever)cart anyone can access it and it makes the whole process a doodle (well sorta but for sure a lot more comfortable)
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

Seems really shady of a company selling plans and PCBs for a build for which it is known that sourcing certain parts is difficult/impossible.
Old 31st July 2014
Gear Head
I built one of the first batch about a month ago. I haven't worked out exactly how much it cost in total, but I'd guess about £1200. It took me a week of evenings to get it 90% complete and another couple of weeks waiting for the reverb tank and speakers to arrive. Some people have had problems with noise or with the clock modulating the VCOs when it shouldn't. This seems to be related to the poor load regulation of the switch mode DC-DC converter. I opted to omit this and use a bipolar linear supply. So far I'm very impressed with the result.

It is a big project in terms of number of components, but isn't really that complicated, though I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a first DIY build. Anyone thinking of building one will need access to an oscilloscope.

Quote:
Seems really shady of a company selling plans and PCBs for a build for which it is known that sourcing certain parts is difficult/impossible.
There are only a few rare parts and they aren't that rare, plus they are shown on the BOM available on the website. For the first run, Thonk sold a rare parts kit.
Old 31st July 2014
Gear Head

I built my TTSH about 3 months ago. This was definitely a challenging build due to the size of the board and number of components. All of the parts are available and it's made clear in the BOM which parts are rare. I'd say only two parts (transistors) were tricky to track down. This project requires more patience than most DIY projects. I spent two weeks building and another week troubleshooting issues (handful of bad solder joints and one incorrect cap value). I had a cabinet professionally made by a woodworker. I probably spent close to $1200 on it. The end result is that it sounds incredible. It looks and feels as reliable as any semi-modular synth I own. Would I build one for someone else? No way. It's a demanding build which requires a serious time commitment.
Old 31st July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugo View Post
I'm definitely going to be building one of these when they are released. If you want me to build you one in a few months keep me in mind, price would be dependent on the overall build time but a synth that size would probably take 30-40 hours to finish... I'd want probably $500 to build it.
Yeah I counted on the build cost being significant. Even if it was 2k all told case parts and build it would be worth it if it's a real clone. I'll be hitting up a local guy I know for this, he builds the large format modular stuff. I'll keep your offer in mind though. Thanks.
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslug View Post
I built one of the first batch about a month ago. I haven't worked out exactly how much it cost in total, but I'd guess about £1200. It took me a week of evenings to get it 90% complete and another couple of weeks waiting for the reverb tank and speakers to arrive. Some people have had problems with noise or with the clock modulating the VCOs when it shouldn't. This seems to be related to the poor load regulation of the switch mode DC-DC converter. I opted to omit this and use a bipolar linear supply. So far I'm very impressed with the result.

It is a big project in terms of number of components, but isn't really that complicated, though I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a first DIY build. Anyone thinking of building one will need access to an oscilloscope.

There are only a few rare parts and they aren't that rare, plus they are shown on the BOM available on the website. For the first run, Thonk sold a rare parts kit.
Nice, Im bummed I missed out on that. Do you have any pics? Would love to see it!
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice, Im bummed I missed out on that.
Another run is supposed to begin in August.

Keep in mind that calibration is going to be a big job once the build is finished. Ideally you would have access to a real 2600 with a 4012 filter module to compare it to. A good analog scope and possibly a tone generator would be helpful as well. There's a lot components that have wide tolerances (mostly to keep costs down) which collectively can have a huge impact on the overall sound.

There's a reason why factory calibration is done... at a factory with access to this type of equipment. Derp!
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Head
Quote:
Nice, Im bummed I missed out on that. Do you have any pics? Would love to see it!
Sorry about the crappy phone pics:
Attached Thumbnails
DIY 2600 for 1k? WOW.-img_20140607_162728.jpg   DIY 2600 for 1k? WOW.-img_20140609_234306.jpg   DIY 2600 for 1k? WOW.-img_20140628_031639.jpg   DIY 2600 for 1k? WOW.-img_20140628_031944.jpg   DIY 2600 for 1k? WOW.-img_20140711_210049.jpg  

Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear
I would like to see (and hear) an A/B poll between the original and clone.
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Maniac

Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

i have thought about building one of these, looks like a great project... i'm waiting for the Korg Arp Ody first.
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
i have thought about building one of these, looks like a great project... i'm waiting for the Korg Arp Ody first.
I'm still hoping for news or a Korg ARP 2600.

I'd even be happy with a 'mini' version (though preferably with metal pot shafts etc)
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysander View Post
Are you high ? Or you need a new translator ?
English is not my native language, say sorry to the queen for me. And yes, I´m very high, for your expectations.
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal View Post
I'm still hoping for news or a Korg ARP 2600.

I'd even be happy with a 'mini' version (though preferably with metal pot shafts etc)
Wait for mamma. I´ll do mine.
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Maniac

That Korg Odyssey will be a scam paired to an original. I´ll bet mine on that.
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysander View Post
Are you high ? Or you need a new translator ?
Ohh you English people are so clever.... you make me think to stop participating on Gearslutz really, it´s not the first time an English buddy accentuates my language limitations.

It´s really ridiculous having to explain again and again it´s not my main language. Are you suggesting me not to post here any more?.

Please be clear, I´m a professional, not a kid wasting my time.
Thanks.
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kan Kaban View Post
Ohh you English people are so clever.... you make me think to stop participating on Gearslutz really, it´s not the first time an English buddy accentuates my language limitations.

It´s really ridiculous having to explain again and again it´s not my main language. Are you suggesting me not to post here any more?.

Please be clear, I´m a professional, not a kid wasting my time.
Thanks.
ignore them. i understand what you were saying.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search