The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My Impressions of the Integra 7 after a few weeks Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 12th December 2016
  #211
Lives for gear
 
mpresev's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by classictunz View Post
Wow $825 is cheap!


Yes .. One can score one for that price on Ebay free shipping. I'm definitely going to invest in one. Later on.
Old 12th December 2016
  #212
Lives for gear
 
NoHo Kid's Avatar
 

Glad to see the Integra getting so much love - it has grown since release. the thing just sounds amazing and is unique in that it's a high end rack - something we do not see in this new decade much. I still wish it had 8 channels of digital out over ADAT or AES - even the 5080 had this I think!
Old 12th December 2016
  #213
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHo Kid View Post
Glad to see the Integra getting so much love - it has grown since release. the thing just sounds amazing and is unique in that it's a high end rack - something we do not see in this new decade much. I still wish it had 8 channels of digital out over ADAT or AES - even the 5080 had this I think!
Yes the 5080 does! I still have mine!
Old 12th December 2016
  #214
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHo Kid View Post
Glad to see the Integra getting so much love - it has grown since release. the thing just sounds amazing and is unique in that it's a high end rack - something we do not see in this new decade much. I still wish it had 8 channels of digital out over ADAT or AES - even the 5080 had this I think!
Not a deal breaker for me. I like to run outboard effects & synth processing prior to sending ITB in addition to post tracking.

Part of the reason I mentioned patch bays to the OP. Makes it easy to route out in a rack. I'll usually leave it normal'd if I want it direct to audio interface and patch out if I want to run it out to outboard equipment. Very handy.

Also I ran a test over SPDIF and really could not hear the difference between it and the analog outs. I doubt lightpipe would be an improvement in sound quality.
Old 4th August 2017
  #215
Here for the gear
 

After years of using Integra. Today it's my main instrument in many tracks. Love it 120%. It's just easy to record from it and not look into another sample libraries .

As big fan of Roland's sound. This one is really useful. Also very easy to mix.
Old 7th August 2017
  #216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mulcahy View Post

Also I ran a test over SPDIF and really could not hear the difference between it and the analog outs. I doubt lightpipe would be an improvement in sound quality.
the point of the digital I/O would be to eliminate the need for any conversion - the tighter and shorter the signal chain, the better and it also saves money as an added bonus.
Old 7th August 2017
  #217
Lives for gear
 
Shadowkast's Avatar
Question for anyone, sorry if it's very novice: Is it easy to run sounds from the Integra to external effects, like pedals and filters?
Old 7th August 2017
  #218
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
the point of the digital I/O would be to eliminate the need for any conversion - the tighter and shorter the signal chain, the better and it also saves money as an added bonus.
I understood that before I posted the original comment. I mentioned no real discernible difference in sound quality (or latency for that matter) between the analog and digital interfaces and I'll stand by that.
I think the real benefit for me with 8 channel light pipe interface would have been less analog cabling. I do have mine wired up with all I/O's btw and I'm happy they are available.
Old 7th August 2017
  #219
Lives for gear
 
choond's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
Question for anyone, sorry if it's very novice: Is it easy to run sounds from the Integra to external effects, like pedals and filters?
Yes, it is fairly easy. For each part (sound) you can assign its output ( choice of 8 analog outputs, stereo out etc). Potentially you could run your outboard effects inline with any of the analog outs, providing there's no impedence mismatch. If you have effects by strymon, eventide etc, those work with instrument-level signals without needed a mixer or transformer.

If you've got a good mixer with plenty of send-returns, you could just run the Integra to that (8 outs), and set the effects as inserts.....you'd probably have less options that way as most desks don't have 10 insert points.
Old 7th August 2017
  #220
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by choond View Post
Yes, it is fairly easy. For each part (sound) you can assign its output ( choice of 8 analog outputs, stereo out etc). Potentially you could run your outboard effects inline with any of the analog outs, providing there's no impedence mismatch. If you have effects by strymon, eventide etc, those work with instrument-level signals without needed a mixer or transformer.

If you've got a good mixer with plenty of send-returns, you could just run the Integra to that (8 outs), and set the effects as inserts.....you'd probably have less options that way as most desks don't have 10 insert points.
Those are two options. As it turns out there is actually a third

You can run the B, C, or D analog stereo pairs from the Integra *directly* into an effects unit, then route the effects unit's analog outs into the Integra's analog ins (these are hardwired to get mixed with the main A stereo output pair). Then route a MIDI part to the B, C, or D analog stereo pair you chose, set the right wet/dry rate on your effects unit, and voila!

Since there are two pairs of analog ins on the Integra, each of which are mixed together along with the main A output pair, you can directly connect two separate effects units to the Integra.

"Look ma, external effects and no mixer!"
Old 7th August 2017
  #221
Lives for gear
 
choond's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_up View Post
Those are two options. As it turns out there is actually a third

Since there are two pairs of analog ins on the Integra, each of which are mixed together along with the main A output pair, you can directly connect two separate effects units to the Integra.

"Look ma, external effects and no mixer!"
Awesome!
Old 8th August 2017
  #222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mulcahy View Post
I do have mine wired up with all I/O's btw and I'm happy they are available.
I did too but would rather have my apogee converters available for more analog synths.
Old 8th August 2017
  #223
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
I did too but would rather have my apogee converters available for more analog synths.
I see. I know a lot here on GS EMI run their hardware direct into their A/D converters. I have a lot of recording gear in addition to synths so I can't really afford anything being directly connected to mine. In place I have a series of patchbays that allows me to route everything where and when needed.
Old 21st August 2017
  #224
Here for the gear
 

Super novice question here. My friend got the Integra 7, and I have spent time trying to figure out the best way to record this thing. Where we are at currently, is just running XLRs to my Apogee Ensemble. I've never used a sound module before, and I feel like there has to be a simpler way. When he writes MIDI tracks in Pro Tools, we have to individually write each MIDI to audio (so that I can have the files). It's a hassle. What am I missing here? If somebody could tell me (or link me) a, from the ground up, setup for Integra + Pro Tools, I would surely appreciate it! Thank you!
Old 21st August 2017
  #225
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
You're not missing anything - you need to have a track that sends MIDI to the sound module so that it can play the notes, and you need to have a track that records audio from the module. It's a pretty normal state of affairs with sound modules.
Old 21st August 2017
  #226
Lives for gear
 
manalishi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berger4life View Post
Super novice question here. My friend got the Integra 7, and I have spent time trying to figure out the best way to record this thing. Where we are at currently, is just running XLRs to my Apogee Ensemble. I've never used a sound module before, and I feel like there has to be a simpler way. When he writes MIDI tracks in Pro Tools, we have to individually write each MIDI to audio (so that I can have the files). It's a hassle. What am I missing here? If somebody could tell me (or link me) a, from the ground up, setup for Integra + Pro Tools, I would surely appreciate it! Thank you!
Well, you could use the Integra 7 multitimbrally and record up to 8 tracks in one go, sending the 8 analogue audio outs into your interface's 8 inputs.
Old 21st August 2017
  #227
Lives for gear
 
drockfresh's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vi Ta Lee View Post
After years of using Integra. Today it's my main instrument in many tracks. Love it 120%. It's just easy to record from it and not look into another sample libraries .

As big fan of Roland's sound. This one is really useful. Also very easy to mix.
Post some tracks!
Old 21st August 2017
  #228
So the Integra 7 or the Jupiter 80?

As a keyboardist, I'm more drawn to the Jupiter 80. But is the Integra 7 better for studio use?

I produce and compose Pop/R&B/Contemporary
Old 21st August 2017
  #229
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
You're not missing anything - you need to have a track that sends MIDI to the sound module so that it can play the notes, and you need to have a track that records audio from the module. It's a pretty normal state of affairs with sound modules.
Ugh okay! Thank you so much for that clarity. So in Pro Tools when we have a complete instrumental (8+ MIDI tracks with MIDI info triggering the Integra), when we write to audio we need to solo tracks so that we are not recording every instrument onto the track we are recording. (Hopefully this makes sense, we are not using 8 separate outs, we are just using the Integra mains) So when we solo the tracks, would Soloing both the MIDI track and the Audio track cause issues/phasing?
Old 21st August 2017
  #230
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
Methinks for simplicity you should definitely use the individual outs.

However, if you have to do it the "slow" way, all you need is to solo just the MIDI tracks. No need to solo the audio tracks at all.
Old 21st August 2017
  #231
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Methinks for simplicity you should definitely use the individual outs.

However, if you have to do it the "slow" way, all you need is to solo just the MIDI tracks. No need to solo the audio tracks at all.
Got it! Thank you!!
Old 22nd August 2017
  #232
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Methinks for simplicity you should definitely use the individual outs.

However, if you have to do it the "slow" way, all you need is to solo just the MIDI tracks. No need to solo the audio tracks at all.
So, what is the point of the VST editor if you still have to use lines to record the audio? Just quicker than picking patches on the Integra?

Also, why is there even the option of using USB audio?
Old 22nd August 2017
  #233
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
Yes, that's exactly it - VST editor is just that, editor. USB audio is there for simple connectivity, so you don't need to use 4 cables (MIDI in, MIDI out, audio left, audio right) for the Integra to make a peep when working with a computer.
Old 22nd August 2017
  #234
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Yes, that's exactly it - VST editor is just that, editor. USB audio is there for simple connectivity, so you don't need to use 4 cables (MIDI in, MIDI out, audio left, audio right) for the Integra to make a peep when working with a computer.
Sorry I still don't get the use of USB audio. As in, if you are using the Integra as an interface? Or going through computer speakers?
Old 22nd August 2017
  #235
Gear Head
 

Stupid question: what does the Integra offer that you can't get out of something like Kontakt or Falcon? It is just a digital ROMpler right? Is the hardware aspect just for fun or something?
Old 22nd August 2017
  #236
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berger4life View Post
Sorry I still don't get the use of USB audio. As in, if you are using the Integra as an interface? Or going through computer speakers?
Again - convenience is the only reason.
Old 23rd August 2017
  #237
Here for the gear
 

On the Integra (using with Pro Tools) we make a multitrack MIDI session (MIDI triggering the Integra), and then we record the MIDI tracks one by one to audio using the USB. When we want to playback that audio we would need "Ext Part Source Select" to USB Audio correct? Wouldn't that mean we would be hearing each track x2?

Would we need to make inactive each MIDI track before playing its respective audio track to avoid that?
Old 23rd August 2017
  #238
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
That's exactly what you asked a few posts up and I said you should mute all MIDI tracks except the one you're currently recording.
Old 23rd August 2017
  #239
Lives for gear
In this day and age I just don't understand why anyone would want an Integra-7 when there are amazing software instruments that can do the same and more for much less while being completely integrated in your DAW workflow. For a live performer, I get it - and that's the Jupiter-80, but a rack module in today's world doesn't make any sense IMO.
Old 23rd August 2017
  #240
Lives for gear
 
drxcm's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
In this day and age I just don't understand why anyone would want an Integra-7 when there are amazing software instruments that can do the same and more for much less while being completely integrated in your DAW workflow. For a live performer, I get it - and that's the Jupiter-80, but a rack module in today's world doesn't make any sense IMO.
If you don't have a DAW workflow, the Integra makes a ton of sense.

I love switching it on and having my banks of zero latency sounds ready to go straight away.

Plus it really does sound great.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump