The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My Impressions of the Integra 7 after a few weeks Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 15th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBE View Post
I probably am the worst person here for that (CHOPS). What would you be interested in?
How do the size and scope of the arsenal of sounds in the Integra and Kurzweil compare? What Kurzweil do you have? How old is it?
Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear

Why all the hate and trolling?
Old 15th August 2014
IBE
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
How do the size and scope of the arsenal of sounds in the Integra and Kurzweil compare? What Kurzweil do you have? How old is it?
I have the 76 key PC3. As far as the comparison I like them both. Ive had the Kurzweil for quite some time, but in the last 2 months. I ordered the Integra, MoXF and Kronos X and FA08. Well after trial periods before return policy, all went back except for the Integra 7. The Kurzweil's UI will put some people off but with the editor I find it much easier to use. Im a big synth, woodwinds and orchestra fan. When looking into a new product that's where I head to first. In the synth department out the box , I will say the integra is definitely the more usable box. For orchestra and woodwinds the Kurzweil is hard to beat. The thing about the Kurzweil which many people may not know is each program can be composed using 32 layers, set up mode ala combi mode can use 16 programs . With that being said, the Kurzweil can play 512 sounds for a combi at once. Does that make it better? No. But it adds to the detail greatly. The integra is going to give you so many sounds that you may get dizzy going through them but many are just different variations of the same sound. The Kurzweil is more limited in the various categories but what it offers it does well. V.A.S.T is a total different beast which I wont go into without Brain Hemorrhaging. I have some free time this weekend and I have been reading various post about a few select pieces that I own. Im going to do a Kurzweil vs Integra vs Omnisphere vs SampleTank 3 thread with samples and see how that goes. May throw a little Virus TI in there too.
Old 15th August 2014
Quote:
For orchestra and woodwinds the Kurzweil is hard to beat.
Yes, this is consistent with everything that I've heard about Kurzweils, that if you're looking for orchestral-type sounds they are fantastic.

Thanks for the overall write-up and comparison. No doubt the PC3 is a really deep instrument. I would love to try one someday.

I see you're in the practice of buying synths, trying them, and then returning the ones you don't want. I guess this makes a lot of sense, especially for people who do not live in close proximity to major retailers.

I have always lived in places where I've had the opportunity to try things in stores before buying them, and have never bought something without trying it first.
Old 15th August 2014
IBE
Gear Addict
Quote:
Yes, this is consistent with everything that I've heard about Kurzweils, that if you're looking for orchestral-type sounds they are fantastic.

I see you're in the practice of buying synths, trying them, and then returning the ones you don't want. I guess this makes a lot of sense, especially for people who do not live in close proximity to major retailers.
Well unfortunately, Im in Atlanta and every time I go to Guitar Center, either the item is broken , no cables connected , someone making some loud rap beat with 2 fingers drowning everyone out or the famous guy who is playing the keys while talking on the phone saying "Man you got to hear this". I got tired of it and said just let the synths come to me.
Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well unfortunately, Im in Atlanta and every time I go to Guitar Center, either the item is broken , no cables connected , someone making some loud rap beat with 2 fingers drowning everyone out or the famous guy who is playing the keys while talking on the phone saying "Man you got to hear this". I got tired of it and said just let the synths come to me.
That's funny to me because it is incredibly difficult for me to try out keyboards in Birmingham. I find myself thinking of traveling to Atlanta to shop quite often.
Old 15th August 2014
Quote:
LOL, I think most of us have experienced that.

I've been fortunate to be able to go into GC at times like weekday mornings, when the place is pretty empty. I've also had to take the initiative and hook stuff up myself, and sometimes I bring my own headphones and audition them that way.

Lastly, I've often bought synths without being 100% sure about the purchase, but felt reassured by the return policy. Somehow or other, over the years I have never returned anything.
Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear

I don't think Kurzweil excels at any of the orchestral-type sounds any more. But I'm hard pressed to believe that Integra really does excel on acoustic sounds in comparison to quality software instruments. At least the "meh" piano example in this thread seems to support the doubts. Is this stuff really beating the (now already oldschool!) vienna symphonic library? I'm not convinced at all yet. However, I find this stuff interesting but I already said that when the package was called "Jupiter 80" and everyone was hating it (isn't it virtually almost the same device?). However, my impression is that all that acoustic stuff is rather aimed to please the gigging musician than to replace acoustic libraries which only ship pre installed on hard disk because of their sheer size.
Old 15th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
However, I find this stuff interesting but I already said that when the package was called "Jupiter 80" and everyone was hating it (isn't it virtually almost the same device?).
The Integra and the Jupiter-80/50 share the SN Synth engine, as well as many of the SN Acoustic sounds (the Integra has more). But the Integra has all of the legacy JV/XV sounds, which the Jupiters do not.

I think the "hating" that came from some of the crowd here had more to do with the name and look of the Jupiter-80 as opposed to the nature of the instrument itself. The fact that Roland released an instrument with the Jupiter name, that was a rompler/VA as opposed to a bona fide analog synth, threw some people into a rage. I could only shake my head and ultimately buy a J-50.
Old 15th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrow View Post
I have an I7 and love it. I've had this machine for about three months now. I bought it for the SN sounds and don't regret it at all. That said I'll have to say the windows editor is, how shall I put it, a thankful piece of crap. I've always thought the real strength of programmable synth is making use of CC control for the best expressive sound: knobs , pedals, switches. Right now I'm programing Maschine Studio (and underrated controller) to control the I7 parameters.

I'm going through the parameter PDF and at the same time, finding the PC editor to being pretty archaic and really just scratching the surface. The I7 REALLY needs a graphical editor with interrelated pages, not bunch of horizontal bars where the pages have no relationship to shaping the sound. It's too bad that Roland missed the boat on this.

Again the editor is better than nothing but it does nothing to encourage exploration, nor does it reflect the parameter guide.
yes, the layout of the windows editor leaves something to be desired but it works flawlessly and all the paramaters are all there. we will learn it well eventually just like any OS.
Old 15th August 2014
IBE
Gear Addict
Quote:
LOL, I think most of us have experienced that.

I've also had to take the initiative and hook stuff up myself,
I mean as in no cables in sight and the one's that are available are tied and tangled up elsewhere. After a few experiences of that, bringing my own headphones and checking them in every time. I got tired of it. I stop in about once every 6 months but thats it for me
Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I probably am the worst person here for that (CHOPS). What would you be interested in?
Maybe I'm overstepping my place here, but have you considered downloading a decent midi file & using it to drive both the Integra & the Kurz ?
Old 15th August 2014
IBE
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderkyss View Post
Maybe I'm overstepping my place here, but have you considered downloading a decent midi file & using it to drive both the Integra & the Kurz ?
For the comparison, I will just so its as fair as possible so the sound engines will be captured for what they are and no impact from the player.
Old 15th August 2014
i'd love to hear some comparisons too. Please include rhodes examples.
Old 15th August 2014
IBE
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
Added to list

Strings
Synths
Orchestral
Rhodes
Old 18th August 2014
IBE
Gear Addict
Quote:
Some quick examples with just a limiter on the master ( not to be judged on mixing or composition, just to give samples of the respected machines in a few categories) I will let you all decide then report with which instrument is which letter.

Sample A and B are either the Kurzweil PC3 or the Integra 7
Sample C and D are either Sample Tank 3 or Omnisphere

Bells A.wav

Bells B.wav

EP's A.wav

EP's B.wav

Horns A.wav

Horns B.wav

Moog A.wav

Moog B.wav

Piano A.wav

Piano B.wav

String A.wav

String B.wav

String C.wav

String D.wav
Old 26th August 2014
Gear Head
Hi all, can one of the Integra users verify that you can actually ringmodulate a PCM and "analogue" waveform in the SN synth section for OSC 1 and 2.
And how are the sound results of that?

Cheers
Old 27th August 2014
Lives for gear

Yes. Varied. Lots of happy accidents and some terrible ones. No Osc Sync though. Yet...
Old 16th December 2014
Lives for gear

I don't get how ppl are saying 16 sets of 16 channels each is not enough for a gig....

Really? That's 256 program changes. If a band plays for 2hrs total, that's like 2 program changes per minute, just from this one sound source.

What kind of gigs are these? That sounds like a data entry gig, not a keyboard gig.

Or, let's say you have 6 tones per song; that's still over 40 songs, which, at 4 mins per song with absolutely no breaks in between the songs, is almost 3 hrs of uninterrupted music. And we haven't even talked about splits yet.

What did ppl do when it was 3 sounds on a gig, your rhodes, your clav, and your minimoog? Did music suck so bad back then?

What I don't like about the Integra, for live use, is the form factor. I'd rather have a keyboard than a rack. But I really don't see how anyone can complain that there isn't a sufficient number of memory slots for a live show.

Presumably, it's not the only piece of gear you're going to be using...
Old 27th January 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane View Post
I don't get how ppl are saying 16 sets of 16 channels each is not enough for a gig....

Really? That's 256 program changes. If a band plays for 2hrs total, that's like 2 program changes per minute, just from this one sound source.
Please don't get me wrong - I think the Integra sounds great. I would think that overall the specs are OK for 90% of all possible users, but I can understand how some power-users would be frustrated with some dimensions.

For example: my friend, a member of multiple bands, probably has 60+ songs in total in his repertoire - things that he could play with a band upon request. Of course any individual gig with one of the bands would use maybe 20 of those max in one evening.

Depending on the complexity and need for "setup change" during the songs (songs that have multiple splits/layers), he could start to hit the 64 SETUP limit. Now, for songs that only require a single "voice" (just piano, or just B3, etc) , he could use (for example) "Setup 2" and assign each of the available 16 channels in that Setup to a voice that he needs, and just change the *channel* within that Setup during the gig.

But now, he is working within two paradigms. He might be going between Setups for many songs (or even multiple splits or layers within a song), or changing channels within a Setup for others. That is sub-optimal. Not impossible, just not ideal.

Now, if you start to add the songs that he is working on at home with the DAW, you are definitely taking away more Setups.... or adding the extra step of saving/loading Setups for each gig, and loading them back when he starts multi-tracking again the next day.

-------

It's similar with loading the expansions into the four available "virtual slots". If there were a single patch in 5 different expansions that one wanted to use in a multi-track project, then you would have to work around that particular architectural limitation. As some mentioned earlier in this thread, this would be less strange if ALL Supernatural sounds were always available, but they're spread across MORE than 4 expansions. Just feels odd because SuperNatural is a key selling point.

Again, don't get me wrong - this is not a limitation FOR ME, and probably for 90% of all users. Plus, there were obviously decisions to keep the price reasonable - which I certainly appreciate. So I think we can acknowledge the limitations of the architecture (and ideas for improving the product), while also understanding that the for most people, this is gonna work wonders in their kit.
Old 28th March 2016
Lives for gear

sorry to bumpt this thread , but can anyone eductae me on thos whole 'supernatural ' thing ;
Are these just rom samples/wave data or actually dsp generated V.A. ?
Love to know this , since only yamaha early motifs ( plg ) and korg triton/trinity ( exb moss board ) offer complete dsp boards for their romplers , this then woud a first for roland romplers ?
Old 28th March 2016
Lives for gear

The Jupiter engine used in the Integra is both a VA and rompler based articulation synthesizer. I'm aware that a few people insist that the Jupiter engine is just a rompler, but they're wrong. There are full waveshaping parameters available for the synth oscillators, including pulse width modulation and a dedicated waveshaping feature. An like the JD-800/990, there are a bunch of digital waveforms available for even more soundmaking potential. While my time on the SN synths is all too brief and I can't tell if the SN engine is all that beneficial to the VA side, some pros insist that it's almost as cool as the acoustic stuff it can do, throwing in guitar and bass slides between notes for example, and reproducing the harmonics properly in a trumpet fall.

The VA synth is like any other VA, some people don't care for it and some go ape over it. I think it's great, and very expressive. And quiet a chameleon, as you can get textures reminiscent of anything from an OB-8, a Memorymoog to a CS-80. And with up to twelve layers on most of the SN synths - the Jupiter-80 can have 30! - you can make insanely complex, huge sounding patches.
Old 28th March 2016
Lives for gear

So the analogue like waveforms are dsp generated ?
Been reading through a couple of threads about the integra , but none seems to provide any info about the V.A side of things , neither here or on you tube .
What about cross modulation between oscillators , xfm, phase mod ,?
Is oscilator sync possible ?
Seems like a nice rompler ( +v.A) , gonna try one out soon ...then decide between the integra / montage

Last edited by gentleclockdivid; 28th March 2016 at 04:32 AM..
Old 28th March 2016
Lives for gear

Seems that the i7 ca,'t do pulse width and osc.sync.
So I gues rolands supernatural is not propre V.A. after all .
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...a-section.html
Old 28th March 2016
Lives for gear

This info is all in the Parameter Guide manual. You've chosen an odd way to buy a musical instrument but here goes:

Yes to PWM.
No to oscillator sync.
No to FXM in the VA section (it is available in the PCM section)

Yes to wave shaping.
Yes to ring modulation.
Old 28th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_up View Post
This info is all in the Parameter Guide manual. You've chosen an odd way to buy a musical instrument but here goes:

Yes to PWM.
No to oscillator sync.
No to FXM in the VA section (it is available in the PCM section)

Yes to wave shaping.
Yes to ring modulation.
What's odd in any way ,?
I am just looking for some info about the integra V.A. stuff ,altough I am pretty much covered with my nord modular and reaktor .
Stil the idea of a rompler+VA seems interesting , without relying on external software editors ( yamaha plg stuff )
Old 28th March 2016
Lives for gear

Well, it just seems like you're inclined to go directly from a published specification to a particular judgement call, instead of using your ears and experimenting. There are plenty of successful analogs and VAs that don't have osc sync but are still great instruments.
Old 28th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
To me, the Korg rompler sound is by far the worst. I owned an N364 and triton and they were horrible. Now, I never played a Kronos (I already own a PC) but if the XV is from the same time period as Triton, Roland is clearly superior.

One thing I WASN'T expecting is how dry the Integra's sounds are, and how good they sound dry. I am used to Romplers that just use to man effects on all the presets, eveything has delay and flange and tons of reverb. Not here. There are effects but they compliment the presets perfectly and aren't overdone.

Also, if you do not like "s*****" piano, pick one of the other 300 piano sounds the Integra has. Simple A piano would probably never make it into my tracks anyway honestly. I have M1 piano and the piano above sounds absolutely nothing like it raw. Again, not defending that piano - the first preset i picked - who cares.
I still have my 5080 with 3 SRX boards and it's very lovely.

Paired with Komplete 10 ultimate I good until the 5080 stops working. Mine is 16 years old and I sold everything except the 5080.

Kurzweil, Emu an Korg all gone!

The 5050 does not sound like the 5080. It only comes close in patch mode. In multi mode it falls apart where the 5080 continues on.

With the added effect slots of the i7 I'm sure it goes further than the 5080!

When the time comes, I'll move to a i7.

I don't like Korgs offering at the moment, it sounds close to software and adds very little IMHO.

Last edited by classictunz; 28th March 2016 at 06:24 PM..
Old 11th December 2016
Lives for gear

My next synth will be the Integra 7 .

I should of snagged one today for 825.00
Old 11th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresev View Post
My next synth will be the Integra 7 .

I should of snagged one today for 825.00
Wow $825 is cheap!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search