The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My Impressions of the Integra 7 after a few weeks Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 13th August 2014
I've used my Integra for almost every gig I've done this summer
Old 13th August 2014
Lives for gear

I hate to come round to the organs again, but I've only been able to find short snippets of examples buried in the demos. What I hear sounds very good. Great organs are very important to me, can anyone comment further on them or point out a good demo that features them?
Old 13th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travst View Post
UJIIE almost went orgasmic over them. Really, really great. I am pretty much sold, this would replace a couple of my existing boards.
yesterday i was blazed out, messing with the sax presets, man - some of it you would swear was real. my neighbors probably though i was back in band class hahaha...

my thing is, i wouldn't want to try and make a song with it that's supposed to sound like a band or anything, would be totally cheesy, but mixing in bit of it with otherwise very synthy music is extremely realistic - even some of the guitar tones.
Old 13th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
yesterday i was blazed out, messing with the sax presets, man - some of it you would swear was real. my neighbors probably though i was back in band class hahaha...

my thing is, i wouldn't want to try and make a song with it that's supposed to sound like a band or anything, would be totally cheesy, but mixing in bit of it with otherwise very synthy music is extremely realistic - even some of the guitar tones.
Those hyper-realistic sounds would also make great sample fodder I bet.
Old 13th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Those hyper-realistic sounds would also make great sample fodder I bet.
yea i already had some ideas regarding that. make a cool melody with a bunch of strings and stuff (ad ez-drummer vintage kit to taste if you desire) then add some isotope vinyl and maybe some bit reduction, then export that to another track. then you can slice it up and assign it to pads and play in different order / chops to get that sample feel.
Old 13th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
Then there's the question as to why Roland didn't build the SRX waveforms and patches into the Integra as "permanent" sounds, like all of the other 5080 sounds, and everything else, and skip the whole business of having to load the virtual SRX cards into memory.

Believe me, I do get your point, that Roland should have just engineered a way to have all of the SRX sounds available simultaneously. They took the Integra so far, why stop where they did? It would have monumental to have the Integra as is, but with all of the SRX sounds available with just a button press.

But this limitation would not keep me from buying the synth. Maybe it is because I had an XV5050 (which has all of the 5080 sounds) until recently...
I don't know, but maybe there would have been extra costs involved with doing it that way. I know there are some folks who love the legacy Roland sounds. I do. One of the reasons I got the XV-5050 to begin with.

But there are a lot of people out there, a lot of people, who would write off the Integra if they thought just $5 was going towards "recycled" sounds.

Quote:
But the problem is that my J-50 is not 16-part multi-timbral, and the Integra does not have a nice 76-key keyboard attached to it. :(
That's the part I don't understand.... just 16 parts? I know it's only 128 voice polyphony, but 32 parts would be a big improvement imo

I know, right now you're thinking, "Who needs 32 parts?" but I guarantee if that module had 32 parts, it would be one of the things owners would be ecstatic about.
Old 14th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderkyss View Post

That's the part I don't understand.... just 16 parts? I know it's only 128 voice polyphony, but 32 parts would be a big improvement imo

I know, right now you're thinking, "Who needs 32 parts?" but I guarantee if that module had 32 parts, it would be one of the things owners would be ecstatic about.
32 parts and 512 voices haha.
Old 14th August 2014
Gear Maniac

The Integra-7 is a best-of Roland of the last 15 years and then some. They sure know what they are doing bussines-wise. I love the unit for what it is but I would like to see a more prolific path from Roland. I guess they will have to eventually because soon I can make a better synth in my basement out of Arduino and a cheap Intel CPU.
Old 14th August 2014
yea, they have the potential to make such cool stuff but it's not happening. Can we just get a 1:1 SH-101 w/midi release???? Maybe a few new colors?
Old 14th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yet. I have the feeling that we'll be seeing more development on the KK front. It appears to me that the start was slow and that a lot of people are finding out how good they really are.

As for the topic at hand, the Integra seems like a great synth. I did look up the SRX modules, though. $250 each?
Yeah, I think Korg did a lot right on that front... and a lot wrong. The oscs are all very good... but one of the forerunners of wavetable synthesis forgot to include the wavetables from the Wavestation. Zero R&D for them, giant selling point. The filters are all very good, no complaints there, but there could also be some oddball filters too like comb. The interface is poor and the keyboard doesn't feel like it belongs on a $1200 instrument. It doesn't even have basic aftertouch. The effects are hit and miss. The reverb is poor. The tube effect does add a nice bit of grit. Overall, the tech is very solid IMO, I'd love to see a version in a Radias style rack format.

I'm hoping that we'll soon hear the technology Roland came up with for the Aira line combined with their ROMplers. Imagine a synth with the Supernatural engine and their ACB modeling engine together? I bet that would be spectacular.

Anyway, I digress. The SRX cards do sell for about that but you can find them used often. Still, expect to pay $200 for good ones. I've only owned Extreme Dance, and World. They're almost worth it for their presets alone. One thing you can't say about Roland is they skimp on high quality sound design for their ROMpler's presets.
Old 14th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
I hate to come round to the organs again, but I've only been able to find short snippets of examples buried in the demos. What I hear sounds very good. Great organs are very important to me, can anyone comment further on them or point out a good demo that features them?
I wouldn't worry about organs. Even in my old XV-5050 the organs were great. If they're even slightly improved in the Integra 7 they'll be fantastic.
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I wouldn't worry about organs. Even in my old XV-5050 the organs were great. If they're even slightly improved in the Integra 7 they'll be fantastic.
That's my guess as well. I'm learning that most folks don't seem to use the organ much anymore as there are so few demos and comments. I use those sounds a great deal. My only experience with Roland romplers is the JV-1080. I had a bunch of those add-in cards including Vintage Synths and the Keyboards of the Sixties. Very good stuff. That is why I was confused as to the loading of cards. I skipped a generation or two or three.

You make good points about the KK. It isn't perfect, but it's pretty solid for what I do. We can take that to the KK thread so as not to hijack this one.
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
There's nothing in the ROMpler world that touches the Integra period right now. Not even close as far as number of sounds or flexibility of the sounds is concerned.
Ehh - ever heard of Kurzweil?
Old 14th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
With all due respect, from where I sit, Kurzweil is this mythical company with mythical products. I know they have a loyal group of followers, but it doesn't seem to be especially large.

The issue for me continues to be this: I am 56 years old and have been playing synths and keyboards since the 70's. I have lived and worked in Cleveland, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and now Chicago. And I have never actually seen a Kurzweil instrument in person. Never. Ever.

There is allegedly one Kurzweil dealer here in the Chicago area, but I have checked with them a couple of times, and they have never had an instrument in stock. When I was in the market, I got tired of checking.

Here in Chicago, despite the Guitar Center and Sam Ash stores being as mediocre as they are... I find all kinds of instruments in them. Besides the usual Rolands, Yamahas, and Korgs, I find Moogs, Dave Smiths, Nords, Virus TIs, Novations, Arturias, Casios, Hammonds, etc. But never, ever a Kurzweil. And this is Chicago - not exactly a small town somewhere.

So that's my standard rant about Kurzweil. I would never buy an instrument like that sight unseen, or without at least being able to play one. If a small company like Dave Smith can get their product into the major retailers, you'd think that Kurzweil would be able to as well.
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Of course. None of their stuff touches this CURRENT product.
Old 14th August 2014
Quote:
I have never actually seen a Kurzweil instrument in person. Never. Ever.
I don't think I have either.
Old 14th August 2014
kurzweil has this cult following which i respect, but to think they produce something even half as good, with the same features as the Integra is laughable. besides, they don't even make a rack.
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

So the Integra has a larger number of sounds and a greater flexibility than Kurzweil? That has been the quote I've been referring to, nothing concerning the quality or the like. What makes Integra more modular as Kurzweil?
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

The "cult of Kurzweil" may be due to the fact that the first author to write a book about musical applications of micro processors - long before he had access to processors capable of realtime audio processing - was a lead developer of what still is in their current instruments. All of the early digital audio developers all over the world therefor know and respect the work of Hal Chamberlin. Basically whole companies were founded on that book, someone said half serious, half joking.
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
kurzweil has this cult following which i respect, but to think they produce something even half as good, with the same features as the Integra is laughable. besides, they don't even make a rack.
I'm not sure a lot of people would agree with this. The pc3k is pretty awesome and sounds spectacular. The negative of the pc3k is it takes awhile to learn to program.
Old 14th August 2014
Kurzweil is like the Saab of synthesizers. People that have them love them but good luck convincing anyone else. To me, they look boring and plain. I actually had one in like 2002. I forget the model but it was black with green printing. Hated the OS. Hated it. I am sure they are good but the Roland has that curb appeal.
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
BEWARE! EvilDragon will come in here and immolate you. Garnishing your face withe the pulverised remainings of your Integra.
Old 14th August 2014
This dude loads all 4 expansion card in this video at 9:40 - i counted 6 second to load all 4. (the rest of the demo is ****)

If that is a problem to anyone you should immediately seek help or smoke a joint.

Old 14th August 2014
Quote:
Kurzweil is like the Saab of synthesizers. People that have them love them but good luck convincing anyone else.
GREAT ANALOGY.

And another:

Integra:

Kurzweil:

Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
GREAT ANALOGY.

And another:

Integra:

Kurzweil:

Thats a poor analogy which leads me to believe you know nothing about Kurzweils. The PC3x is capable of way more colours than the integra.
Old 15th August 2014
IBE
Gear Addict
Quote:
GREAT ANALOGY.

And another:

Integra:

Kurzweil:

Like brother and sister, mines love each other.

Old 15th August 2014
I have an I7 and love it. I've had this machine for about three months now. I bought it for the SN sounds and don't regret it at all. That said I'll have to say the windows editor is, how shall I put it, a thankful piece of crap. I've always thought the real strength of programmable synth is making use of CC control for the best expressive sound: knobs , pedals, switches. Right now I'm programing Maschine Studio (and underrated controller) to control the I7 parameters.

I'm going through the parameter PDF and at the same time, finding the PC editor to being pretty archaic and really just scratching the surface. The I7 REALLY needs a graphical editor with interrelated pages, not bunch of horizontal bars where the pages have no relationship to shaping the sound. It's too bad that Roland missed the boat on this.

Again the editor is better than nothing but it does nothing to encourage exploration, nor does it reflect the parameter guide.
Old 15th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsyd View Post
Thats a poor analogy which leads me to believe you know nothing about Kurzweils.
It's true - I basically admitted that at the outset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsyd View Post
The PC3x is capable of way more colours than the integra.
Now, that would surprise me.
Old 15th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBE View Post
Like brother and sister, mines love each other.
Excellent! Perhaps you could compare the two for us, sound-wise.
Old 15th August 2014
IBE
Gear Addict
Quote:
Excellent! Perhaps you could compare the two for us, sound-wise.
I probably am the worst person here for that (CHOPS). What would you be interested in?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search