The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My Impressions of the Integra 7 after a few weeks Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 6th August 2014
  #91
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino View Post
I hope you're wrong...

Yeah, exactly. I would have much preferred an Integra with all its Supernatural stuff, though - that's why I'm not happy about this silly limitation.
How is that a limitation when the integra without expansions loaded has more than double the sounds of the motif xs rack...?

By the way, all the splits, effects and progammabillity are loaded with the studio sets, only the expansions are not.
You can choose wich 4 expansions the Integra loads with, but the studio sets do not load them. However, each sound indicates from what expansion it is from.

But honestly, to whine about this "limititation" is just ridiculous.
If you need to change sets quickly just select the sounds you need from the 2500 that come preloaded, plus any 4 expansions of your liking.

How stupid is it to complain you can only choose from 4000 sounds?

Actually my main complaint with the unit is too much sounds at the same time. Sometimes when choosing sounds i just loose myself playing and don't make any music.

If you don't buy an integra based solely on the reason that studio sets don't load expansions than you're just a critizing ignorant and need to try one out fully, because you clearly have not.

You're missing out
Old 6th August 2014
  #92
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNGmaestro View Post
How is that a limitation when the integra without expansions loaded has more than double the sounds of the motif xs rack...?

By the way, all the splits, effects and progammabillity are loaded with the studio sets, only the expansions are not.
You can choose wich 4 expansions the Integra loads with, but the studio sets do not load them. However, each sound indicates from what expansion it is from.

But honestly, to whine about this "limititation" is just ridiculous.
If you need to change sets quickly just select the sounds you need from the 2500 that come preloaded, plus any 4 expansions of your liking.

How stupid is it to complain you can only choose from 4000 sounds?

Actually my main complaint with the unit is too much sounds at the same time. Sometimes when choosing sounds i just loose myself playing and don't make any music.

If you don't buy an integra based solely on the reason that studio sets don't load expansions than you're just a critizing ignorant and need to try one out fully, because you clearly have not.

You're missing out
exactly. a very, very silly limitation to be so concerned with. A small, 10 second action solves it. Load a few cards that takes literally 5 seconds.
Old 6th August 2014
  #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugo View Post
Would you be willing to take 30 minutes - hour to make like 2-3 different pieces between 1-2 minute showcasing some of the different categories?

I'd like to hear some more user work created with the I7... that 10 second demo didn't do much for me.

I want to hear what it sounds like in a regular users hands, not a professional produced release demo. Those are so much more realistic than the professional demos that are released by Roland. Anyway if you have the time and would do that, that'd be awesome and I think everyone here would love to hear.
I haven't gotten to the point yet where I'm willing to put any real demos of the Integra up here yet...I'm literally still browsing the presets. To be honest I am not even 100% sure if it's going to fit MY MUSIC yet! It's realllllly awesome machine, everything about it is awesome and the editor is flawless.... but not 100% positive it's going to benefit my sound. It's going to take a few more weeks to decide. My music is way more tech before musical talent haha, so i benefit greatly from the sound of high end analog synths to get my vibe. So I might still be up in the air to keep it. It seems like something that would greatly thrive in the hands of a VERY good piano player, which I am definitely not.

Maybe this weekend I will try to do some basic synth layering demos, like a few chords with arps running or something - some 3-4 track stacked demos. VERY hard for me to make demos not running through all my gear because that's just instinct to work sounds that way from ground zero (pushed through my compressors and stuff) but I will try.

For now, I will give you the demos that I found and liked or found at least decent:












Old 6th August 2014
  #94
Seesh they sound good.
Old 6th August 2014
  #95
Lives for gear
 
muziksculp's Avatar
 

Hi,

I'm still trying to decide between buying the Roland Integra 7 or Sample Tank 3, which is a software based Rompler/Synth. Surely getting ST3 is a much more economic option, and it offers a lot for that price. I also feel that the orchestral sounds of ST3 sound better than the Integra 7's.

So..

Which one would you choose given these two options ?

Thanks,
Muziksculp
Old 6th August 2014
  #96
Lives for gear
 
marino's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNGmaestro View Post
If you don't buy an integra based solely on the reason that studio sets don't load expansions than you're just a critizing ignorant and need to try one out fully, because you clearly have not.
My friend, if you can't see how this could become a nightmare on a gig, having a long list of 40 or 50 songs that need to be played without pauses, with new songs often being called out during the count-off, and you trying to read a list on a dark stage, trying to to find the song title first, then checking what expansions are needed, then loading them ("just" 10 seconds? 20 seconds? They've finished the intro by then), *then* trying to stay focused enough to remember your part... well, I assure you that you'd need a very long hot bath afterwards. Assuming that the band hasn't fired you after the first gig, for missing the start of most songs.

When you add the 'other' silliness - having just 64 memory slots - it's quite clear to me where the real ignorance is.
Please notice that I never said anything about the quality of sounds. Simply, this machine in its present state is unsuited to serious live use. End of story.
And I never said that it's a bad synth if you use it in the studio or at home. I simply said, "no Integra for me". And I think it's ok to point out this shortcoming to other potential buyers who are looking at it as a live tool.
Old 6th August 2014
  #97
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino View Post
My friend, if you can't see how this could become a nightmare on a gig, having a long list of 40 or 50 songs that need to be played without pauses, with new songs often being called out during the count-off, and you trying to read a list on a dark stage, trying to to find the song title first, then checking what expansions are needed, then loading them ("just" 10 seconds? 20 seconds? They've finished the intro by then), *then* trying to stay focused enough to remember your part... well, I assure you that you'd need a very long hot bath afterwards. Assuming that the band hasn't fired you after the first gig, for missing the start of most songs.

When you add the 'other' silliness - having just 64 memory slots - it's quite clear to me where the real ignorance is.
Please notice that I never said anything about the quality of sounds. Simply, this machine in its present state is unsuited to serious live use. End of story.
And I never said that it's a bad synth if you use it in the studio or at home. I simply said, "no Integra for me". And I think it's ok to point out this shortcoming to other potential buyers who are looking at it as a live tool.
I understand what you're saying perfectly but i dont think you read my post correctly.

You can have around 4000 sounds (with 4 expansions preloaded) available at a time without changing expansions. So if quickness is your priority just make your sets using your 4 favorite expansions plus all the new integra sounds, plus all the classic xv5080 sounds.

There's no other module, keyboard or plugin that offers this quantity, quality and speed at the same time.

The issue you're having is non existant really.
Old 6th August 2014
  #98
Registered User
I could do 50 songs using about 6 instruments really ... there is no need to use more than 4000 sounds in one evening ... sheesh.

Depending on your genre, there are many sounds that you will never need. Most people will have more than they could ever wish for with the internal sounds and maybe a couple of expansions loaded. Using all 4 should be sufficient for the craziest covers band.

I would recommend assigning a number to each song, and just load a user patch for each one. Simple. Done.

Roland have done a smart thing in giving more options to cover the widest range of musicians - but really, no single person is ever going to need all these sounds together in one place at one time.

Of if you DO ... buy another.

Show me any other Rompler that comes anywhere near close to having this many presets available.

And maybe you should not be so dependant on presets, and program your own sounds?
Old 6th August 2014
  #99
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post

And maybe you should not be so dependant on presets, and program your own sounds?
Lol... Spoken like a true amateur.
Old 6th August 2014
  #100
it's a rompler, it's all about presets, although not limited to in anyway. What is he going to do program his own grand piano and acoustic guitars?
Old 6th August 2014
  #101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNGmaestro View Post
I understand what you're saying perfectly but i dont think you read my post correctly.

You can have around 4000 sounds (with 4 expansions preloaded) available at a time without changing expansions. So if quickness is your priority just make your sets using your 4 favorite expansions plus all the new integra sounds, plus all the classic xv5080 sounds.

There's no other module, keyboard or plugin that offers this quantity, quality and speed at the same time.

The issue you're having is non existant really.
exactly COMPLETE NON-ISSUE. Use the 4000 presets included on boot up then pick ANOTHER FOUR expansion cards to remain in the 4 slots, for that particular show. Even without the expansion cards you get WAY more presets than any other synth, so i CANNOT understand why you see this as holding you back??? I think you are really missing out for a ridiculous reason.
Old 6th August 2014
  #102
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino View Post
having a long list of 40 or 50 songs that need to be played without pauses
What kind of band is this?
Old 6th August 2014
  #103
Registered User
Nothing wrong with being an amateur ... or with programming your own patches either. I own an Integra, and it's the last in a long line of Roland products, so I am biased.

I could use the Integra as an acoustic piano, Rhodes, Wurli, Hammond B3 emulation (with full drawbar control) and a few lead synth patches - and sure, I could play 50 songs in a row with no pauses. I don't know any band that needs to do that, but owning an Integra would not be the problem ...

I appreciate that some people like to use a lot more sounds - and personally I do use a lot more patches, and I don't have any hang ups about using presets.

If I saw somebody using about 4000 patches in one concert, I would think "what a [email protected]" ... there is absolutely no need for that. Choose a few great sounds and PLAY them ...
Old 10th August 2014
  #104
"I like this, not only for the sounds that I know it has, I think I really like it for the sounds that I have no idea it has, that I know I'm gonna need one day, and it's gonna be in there..."

Old 11th August 2014
  #105
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I guess if you're a gigging musician who wants a gigantic portable library to haul around that's got no load time, this is for you. It's not for me though.
Correct, except for "no load time"... The integra isn't well suited for gigging at all, unfortunately...
Old 11th August 2014
  #106
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogaddict View Post
Correct, except for "no load time"... The integra isn't well suited for gigging at all, unfortunately...
Why do you say that?
Old 11th August 2014
  #107
Lives for gear
 

Boy haters are getting desperate with every new Integra thread. I dont know about the rest of the world but every music store in north america that carries roland has one of these to demo. Once i demoed it instore i had to have one. Finally stumbled into one about a month ago locally. It cost me some nice gear in a trade but was worth it.
Old 11th August 2014
  #108
Lives for gear
 
Musician's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
This is completely untrue. You obviously have no experience with the unit. You are basically saying that the VX-5080 (a known classic and loved unit) and EVERY ONE of it's expansion cards sucks and also the Jupiter 80 and all of it's SuperNatural acoustic, synth and drum sounds also suck - over 6000 preset. It's simply untrue and you have only discredited yourself, in my opinion. Kurzweil is still making gear with screens and an OS that looks like 1997 - horrible.
Sorry to say, its YOU who discredited yourself by a longshot.
You are judging me, as I merely stated MY opinion here.
You don't need to be offended nor to be defensive in any way.

FYI, I demoed the Integra7 two times for over an hour in the store (to check out most of the new stuff), I HAD a XV5080 with several expansions for several years (read this?!!) AND I can compare to Roland's JD990, JD800, JV1080, Kurzweils, Yammies Motif ES & XS and SY99... I had them all so I DO know what I am talkin' about.

Bottom line? You like the Roland sound, and I don't, period, end of story.

The only thing Roland's sound has going for it is mid-range punch/attack.

I am sure you can coax depth of it more by programming the sounds, but I hate programming racks and frankly, the speed and flexibility of Kurzweils puts the Roland's rather inflexible architecture to shame.

And to top it off, the Integra's OS screen is not much different from Kurzweil's OS/screen (no colors and small). And I prefer a tight smaller FAST working GUI to any bigger color screen that has screen redraw lags.

Now, get over it and move on.
Old 11th August 2014
  #109
Lives for gear
 
Musician's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
This is completely untrue. You obviously have no experience with the unit. You are basically saying that the VX-5080 (a known classic and loved unit) and EVERY ONE of it's expansion cards sucks and also the Jupiter 80 and all of it's SuperNatural acoustic, synth and drum sounds also suck - over 6000 preset. It's simply untrue and you have only discredited yourself, in my opinion. Kurzweil is still making gear with screens and an OS that looks like 1997 - horrible.
The Supernatural sounds are really nice, that I'll admit.
I am a fan of physical modeling.
But again, programming from an editor or rack is not my cup of tea.
Thats why I demoed the FA06 as soon as I could.
Old 11th August 2014
  #110
Lives for gear
 
Musician's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
In one post, this fellow says:

Shortly thereafter, I read


Why would you be excited about having a workstation version of a rack unit that has sounds you don't like?


The reason is this: on a workstation I like programming a lot more than on a rack.

At least I would be able to program my own patches from scratch, disabling all ongoing master FX compression/EQ to begin with.
Of course I cannot add layers of sound like on a Kurzweil. I believe I have some 8 layers (tone partials) before I run out.

But again: I wanted to like the FA06, being a keyboard version of the Integra7. If I liked it, I would be eager to start programming it. But I did not like its GUI nor its feel at all unfortunately.
Old 11th August 2014
  #111
Lives for gear
 
Musician's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
Boy haters are getting desperate with every new Integra thread. I dont know about the rest of the world but every music store in north america that carries roland has one of these to demo. Once i demoed it instore i had to have one. Finally stumbled into one about a month ago locally. It cost me some nice gear in a trade but was worth it.
Its always the same thing: people who like a piece of gear and actually bought it really are the most defensive about it. I can understand that.

But judging another merely on his well-informed opinion (and I know lots of people don't actually demo gear when stating theirs) is ridiculous.
Old 11th August 2014
  #112
Lives for gear
 
Thunderkyss's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugo View Post
See that's my thinking as well.. I know it's not maybe the best available but it's probably an upgrade over my Fantom X8. The fantom is probably built better but I bet the sounds of the FA are way better now. Do you have the weighted 88 key version? I want to know if I will lose the quality of my Fantom X8 before selling it, I use it mainly as a keyboard controller but I still use the piano and saxaphone which still sound incredible. I don't want to give those up if the FA keys aren't up to par... also, I need this sax, I love it too much, so I need something in the FA that can replace it or supersede it.
Says you posted this a week ago, & I'm just now going through this thread, so I don't know if you've done anything with your X8 since, but here's my thoughts.

I would hate to lose the sequencing aspects of the X8, especially the RPS patterns. If you don't use it, that's fine, you won't miss it. But it's a very powerful way to sequence & arrange songs. That, plus using the pads to mute parts, the fantom's sequencer is on par (arguably better) than Live & Maschine in a hardware unit.

Skip back sampling, while I thought was gimmicky at first, I find that I use it a lot. Then the quick sampling, editing, & chopping... all very powerful for quickly getting ideas out of your head & playing around with them.

If you're not using any of that, that's fine. You won't miss them. If you've already got Maschine, or Live, you can do a lot of that in one way or another, so again, won't be missing it as much. & I'm sure the FA brings it's own workflow to the table & probably has it's own advantages, but that's my 2.
Old 11th August 2014
  #113
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogaddict View Post
Correct, except for "no load time"... The integra isn't well suited for gigging at all, unfortunately...
Wut da wut? Is there a delay while it loads presets? That is unfortunate if that's true. One of the things I loved about my XV-5050 and SonicCell was how easily I could just breeze through presets, find one I liked, tweak it a bit via software and be done. Most of the time I could find a preset that was nearly perfect for my needs. If anything they needed less effects and maybe a bit of EQ.

Even so though, I guess if you planned ahead and made multis with all your sounds for each piece, you could surely get away with even a fairly long delay as it would be between songs, no? Also, the way I tend to do my live shows, well when I did do them, was to kind of dedicate synths for single sounds even if they were multitimbral. To me, multitimbral synths are for layering single complex patches, but I could totally see doing a small nimble live rig with an Integra 7, MIDI controller and no other synths.
Old 11th August 2014
  #114
I take my Integra 7 to gigs. It works like a charm!
Old 12th August 2014
  #115
Old 12th August 2014
  #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
Why do you say that?
64 presets and 20 second load time if you need to change an SRX... That would never work for me. Just this last weekend I did three gigs totalling over 90 songs and I was working on all of them at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Wut da wut? Is there a delay while it loads presets? That is unfortunate if that's true. One of the things I loved about my XV-5050 and SonicCell was how easily I could just breeze through presets, find one I liked, tweak it a bit via software and be done. Most of the time I could find a preset that was nearly perfect for my needs. If anything they needed less effects and maybe a bit of EQ.

Even so though, I guess if you planned ahead and made multis with all your sounds for each piece, you could surely get away with even a fairly long delay as it would be between songs, no? Also, the way I tend to do my live shows, well when I did do them, was to kind of dedicate synths for single sounds even if they were multitimbral. To me, multitimbral synths are for layering single complex patches, but I could totally see doing a small nimble live rig with an Integra 7, MIDI controller and no other synths.
Planning ahead is a good idea - usually artists can turn things around in a nanosecond and insert a song in a medley, or change a key just for one gig and I'll need to rearrange the song order or something, and if I have 6-7 banks of 128 setups I can move the whole segment and just edit the bank select numbers, so that I can return to the previous version whenever needed. Maybe that's just how I roll...
Old 12th August 2014
  #117
Lives for gear
 

You mean, thats how you troll?

Lets see some proof that youre not making this all up just to support an argument on an online forum.
Old 12th August 2014
  #118
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogaddict View Post
64 presets and 20 second load time if you need to change an SRX...
Then don't change any SRXes. As I think others have said, You have thousands and thousands of sounds available with the Integra without having to swap out an SRX. I guess that isn't good enough for you. You can't play a gig without using all of the Integra onboard sounds plus ALL of the SRX expansions?

I realize you have committed yourself to this argument and are not going to change your mind here. But to the rest of us, this just doesn't make a lot of sense. Just load up the expansions that are most suitable, and forget about the rest if they take too long to load. Don't use them. Pretend they were never created. It's just that it's very hard for the rest of us to imagine that an Integra with all of it's internal sounds, plus what, four additional SRX expansions loaded, is not a practical instrument to use in a gigging situation.

It's like this - I have a Virus TI, for which there are a zillion different patches that have been created - both commercial and free. Using a computer to swap out user banks during a show just wouldn't be feasible, so this in essence means that there are thousands of Virus patches that are not available to me in a gigging situation. Would this keep me from using my TI in a band? Of course not. Because instead of concentrating on what I CANNOT do with it, and the patches I CANNOT load during a show, I focus on the thousands of sounds that it DOES have, that CAN be used during a show.

Whatever...
Old 12th August 2014
  #119
Lives for gear
 
depulse's Avatar
I'm tempted by the i7, but since I have a XV5080 with many expansions, a JD990, a Vsynth XT and a JP8080, I cover most of the bases already. Only the supernatural parts are missing. If I find one cheap enough, I might still get one.
Old 12th August 2014
  #120
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogaddict View Post
64 presets and 20 second load time if you need to change an SRX... That would never work for me. Just this last weekend I did three gigs totalling over 90 songs and I was working on all of them at the same time.



Planning ahead is a good idea - usually artists can turn things around in a nanosecond and insert a song in a medley, or change a key just for one gig and I'll need to rearrange the song order or something, and if I have 6-7 banks of 128 setups I can move the whole segment and just edit the bank select numbers, so that I can return to the previous version whenever needed. Maybe that's just how I roll...
Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
Then don't change any SRXes. As I think others have said, You have thousands and thousands of sounds available with the Integra without having to swap out an SRX. I guess that isn't good enough for you. You can't play a gig without using all of the Integra onboard sounds plus ALL of the SRX expansions?

I realize you have committed yourself to this argument and are not going to change your mind here. But to the rest of us, this just doesn't make a lot of sense. Just load up the expansions that are most suitable, and forget about the rest if they take too long to load. Don't use them. Pretend they were never created. It's just that it's very hard for the rest of us to imagine that an Integra with all of it's internal sounds, plus what, four additional SRX expansions loaded, is not a practical instrument to use in a gigging situation.

It's like this - I have a Virus TI, for which there are a zillion different patches that have been created - both commercial and free. Using a computer to swap out user banks during a show just wouldn't be feasible, so this in essence means that there are thousands of Virus patches that are not available to me in a gigging situation. Would this keep me from using my TI in a band? Of course not. Because instead of concentrating on what I CANNOT do with it, and the patches I CANNOT load during a show, I focus on the thousands of sounds that it DOES have, that CAN be used during a show.

Whatever...
Well... you're both right! Yes, I can't imagine that anyone couldn't do a set with thousands of sounds at their fingertips...

...however, 20 seconds of load time to switch to an SRX card? That's pretty inexcusable in my book. How does it work exactly? Once you've waited the 20 seconds does the entire card become instantly accessible? Do you have to wait another 20 seconds to get to a different card? What about back to the native Integra sounds? What if you create a preset that uses one of the SRX tones, are you waiting 20 seconds for each one of those presets?

Anyway, I think it would kind of bother me. 20 seconds to load a preset on a hardware synth that's not a sampler is a long time. Ignore the SRX cards? Well, you paid for them. If you couldn't implement their use in a good way, don't include them at all and shave off money off your ROMpler.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump