The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My Impressions of the Integra 7 after a few weeks Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugo View Post
So what sounds would you say the integra is especially good with? What sounds does it suffer a bit / lack the most?
You can search my previous posts, as I've written a lot of about the sounds, but in general, there are very few sounds that aren't somewhere between good and excellent.

The best sounds as a group are probably the SN acoustic and electric guitars. Worst sounds as a group as probably the acoustic & electric bass sounds.

I'm not the biggest fan of the VA section for making new sounds, as I think it sounds a bit thin after having the Integra since it first came out, but it is somehow very good at emulating the Jupiter-8 (esp. the JP strings) and various Moogs.

Would have loved to have seen a lot more evolving digi pads at least among the new presets, but the XV-5080 part of the synth engine has plenty of features (nice LFOs and envelopes) so you've got to just dig in and get to work.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

The Roland (Integra7) sounds have no depth at all. They lack harmonics and sound too compressed to my taste. Kurzweil is the better sound.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

The new FA workstation suck, period. I tried the FA-06 myself.

I was initially excited to have a workstation version of the Integra as I dont fancy a rack that much.

Gosh, what a disappointment.

The keys are not the best, the casing is shiny plastic and the knobs feel cheap.
The sound are ok at best. The pads are rather small and not great either.
The screen is cheezy: I hate dark GUI, which is a mishmash of colours on a black background!

Nope, not for me.
Old 4th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino View Post
Let's say that I've stored a Studio Set which uses all four expansion slots - four SRX cards. If I need to switch to another Studio Set which is using four *different* SRX cards, do the Integra load those cards in memory automatically, as I recall the new Studio Set?
Please don't tell me that I have to load all the cards I need manually!
I wouldn't mind a bit of latency, but loading each card manually would be unacceptable to me.
This, combined with having only 64 performance memories made me skip the Integra. These two single downsides are (IMHO) MAJOR design flaws that any touring musician involved in the design process ought to have told Roland corp... I'm a rack lover, I gig full time and travel a lot. I used to have a 6u rack with a Receptor, a Motif ESr, a Fantom Xr and a Nord G2, but ended up replacing it with a Kronos. Which I can't fly with, I don't trust luggage handlers at airports and I can't afford the overweight. Solution: a Kronos rack. Since that didn't happen, I was hoping for the Integra, but I don't have 20 seconds between songs and I'd fill the 64 memory locations in a gig or two. The fact that I could Sysex dump patches doesn't help either since I use my Kurz or iPad to call up patches and I need everything loaded at once. I hope Roland release a memory expansion for the Integra with memory for all 10 SRX cards and 2048 performance memories (I'd get two in a heartbeat!) rather than kill the new rack series due to few sales...

I ended up getting a FA06, and I quite like it. The sounds work very well in a live context and it's easy to travel with. I've decided on two SRX expansions and that I can live with most of the limitations, the biggest one being that the FA can't filter and zone incoming midi events. I use MainStage as a midi brain/bridge, but it would be KILLER if the FA could set key ranges an filter cc:s (VERY important on a performance level) from an external keyboard... Just like the Integra, SonicCell, FaXr and most Roland boards can, to a certain extent. Ok, rant over!

Edit: Roland Corp, send me a pm and I'll tell you EXACTLY how the FA/Integra series should be improved. Please don't give up on the rack format..!
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_up View Post
No, sorry. You have to manually load them. It takes all of 20 seconds though.
Well - thank you.........
Urgh.

I find this rather unbelievable. I mean, I wouldn't mean the waiting time (a major annoyance nonetheless), but this means that you have to remember/write down what Sudio Set uses what expansion, and manually load them on stage between songs...! The potential for mistakes is huge, and the stress factor is unacceptable. Do that 40 times during a gig, and you will need a long vacation afterwards. I think now I understand why they're called "Studio Sets"....
What prevented Roland to include automated loading of the appropriate expansions when you recall a Studio Set is beyond me. No Integra for me.
Old 4th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
The Roland (Integra7) sounds have no depth at all. They lack harmonics and sound too compressed to my taste. Kurzweil is the better sound.
This is completely untrue. You obviously have no experience with the unit. You are basically saying that the VX-5080 (a known classic and loved unit) and EVERY ONE of it's expansion cards sucks and also the Jupiter 80 and all of it's SuperNatural acoustic, synth and drum sounds also suck - over 6000 preset. It's simply untrue and you have only discredited yourself, in my opinion. Kurzweil is still making gear with screens and an OS that looks like 1997 - horrible.

By the way, if you are using the V2 editor with a DAW you so not have to worry at all about saving the studio sets or the limit of 64. It automatically loads with your DAW and is saved within the plugin.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
Kurzweil is still making gear with screens and an OS that looks like 1997 - horrible.
Well, starting with Forte this has changed. Also the new pianos on it sound better than any piano Roland ever did IMHO. Ditto Rhodes, Wurly and clav.

As for the OS, it is extremely intuitive to use. Doesn't matter that it's over 20 years old or how it looks. There was a very good reason why Kurzweil couldn't introduce a whole new display with the PC3.

Quote:
By the way, if you are using the V2 editor with a DAW you so not have to worry at all about saving the studio sets or the limit of 64. It automatically loads with your DAW and is saved within the plugin.
This is completely useless for the live player.
Old 4th August 2014
In one post, this fellow says:

Quote:
The Roland (Integra7) sounds have no depth at all. They lack harmonics and sound too compressed to my taste.
Shortly thereafter, I read:

Quote:
I was initially excited to have a workstation version of the Integra...
Why would you be excited about having a workstation version of a rack unit that has sounds you don't like?

Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well - thank you.........
Urgh.

I find this rather unbelievable. I mean, I wouldn't mean the waiting time (a major annoyance nonetheless), but this means that you have to remember/write down what Sudio Set uses what expansion, and manually load them on stage between songs...! The potential for mistakes is huge, and the stress factor is unacceptable. Do that 40 times during a gig, and you will need a long vacation afterwards. I think now I understand why they're called "Studio Sets"....
What prevented Roland to include automated loading of the appropriate expansions when you recall a Studio Set is beyond me. No Integra for me.
That would be a huge headache, no doubt.

Yeah, if Roland had called them "stage sets" or "performances" that might be an indication that the instrument was designed for use on stage.

I get the sense that the Integra "expansion" sounds were added on fairly late in the Integra's design process and weren't initially intended to be there.
Old 4th August 2014
Quote:
The XV-5080 is a great looking unit and I was highly considering it over the Integra. There are a lot of reason why the Integra is better though BUT still the XV is way cheaper and is still amazing for what you get, so that's not to say it isn't amazing. The XV sounds in the Integra and the expansion boards sound amazing. The XV has one thing over the Integra - can also load the JD-990 boards (although it doesn't take full advantage of their sample rate or even all the patches as opposed to the JD-990) It also has Wordclock input which is huge. What were they thinking with the Integra! Luckily my soundcard has SRC. I'm not gonna slave my whole system to a Rolland clock.
Hey Mike- grats on your Integra, it is obviously a professional quality piece. Quick question- when you say "XV patches", etc. is this inclusive of my little baby XV2020? As in, do I have the same patches? I'm guessing no since the 2020 is so small and cheap...but J/W all the same.
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Don't judge anything on this, no effort involved...
All we do is judge here. It's what separates us from the animals. heh I'll agree that it does sound like no effort was involved. I'm a Roland ROMpler fan and that example sounded terrible.

I sold my 5050 and regretted it. Picked up a SonicCell and didn't quite like it despite a pretty decent VSTi editor that often worked. Ultimately I found that when push comes to shove, the Roland ROMplers are all about great preset design and effects. Every now and then I hear a demo of the Integra and think, "Hm, sounds really good." Then I remember that it costs as much as a decent computer and Komplete and I think, "nope." I guess if you're a gigging musician who wants a gigantic portable library to haul around that's got no load time, this is for you. It's not for me though.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Integra 7 is one of those pieces I have been trying to like for nearly two years... to no avail.

Every time a new I7 thread comes up, I read it all, yet I end up lovingly winking at my XV5080.

Old 4th August 2014
wow, this thread just went off the deep end...
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

The thing though is that the same presets in the integra dont sound the same as the xv-5080. They have a much flatter, neutral sound than the typical pumped up ROMpler sound. I really like the Integra 7s convertors. Hard to explain but compared to my jd990 i still own and the xv5080 i used to own the integra sounds more true, less glossy, more of a blank slate. Of course when you want something unnatural the jd990 with a vintage card is great to have.

Also a base XV-5080 with no expansions and no supernatural sounds and far fewer possibilities still goes for 500 dollars while if you wait you can easily get an integra for 1200. A single expansion card sells for 200-300 and doesnt sound as good in the 5080 IMHO.

Anyone comparing the two or saying they are the same things hasnt used an integra.

For my studio it works, for others, who cares? My studio is mostly analog and vintage and i needed something like this to have these sounds at my disposal without a computer.

And i dont think rolands done with it yet although its getting to the point where any major improvements will get rolled into a new product.

I also agree with the person that thinks that thousands of these sounds were thrown in at the last minute making their integration a bit clunky. I like my Integra but you can tell it was definitely quickly thrown together. Especially on initial release. Theyve improved some major things since.
Old 5th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
The thing though is that the same presets in the integra dont sound the same as the xv-5080.
Isn't some of that due to the fact that the effects, and the effects routings, are not the same in the 5080 and the Integra?
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
So in order to be sure to have your splits, layers etc. loaded correctly for every song, you have to bring a computer and launch a DAW?!
This is ridiculous, and not just on stage. You can laugh at Kurzweil "old-style" OS, but for example, since the early nineties they had a little command called "Load dependent objects", which automatically loads ALL the elements which have been saved within a program or bank (samples, effects, keymaps, etc.).
After 20 years, Roland hasn't learnt it yet?!?
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
Isn't some of that due to the fact that the effects, and the effects routings, are not the same in the 5080 and the Integra?
Im just talking raw. Not patches. They just sound flatter, sharper, crisper than the 5080 or the rd700 stage piano i used to own.
Old 5th August 2014
Gear Maniac

I don't understand why people are knocking the Integra for not being a good live stage sound module.
That's like knocking a sports car for not excelling offroad. If you want something catered for live performance, buy something else.

It clearly isn't designed to be a live tool. It's designed for studio use.
Old 5th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessestephens View Post
I don't understand why people are knocking the Integra for not being a good live stage sound module.
But.....

I think the Integra would work great on stage for plenty of keyboardists. Personally, I could see using it in a cover band, and 2-3 Studio Sets with 16 sounds each would give me plenty of sounds to cover damn near anything. Mind you, I'm not one to use seven different piano sounds, nine different organ sounds, eight different string patches, and 14 different synth leads during the course of three sets.

And I'd avoid the troublesome business of swapping the SRX "boards" in and out. How many thousands of sounds are there built into the unit, anyway?

Certainly, there are some limitations, but I doubt they're deal-killers for everyone.
Old 5th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
How many thousands of sounds are there built into the unit, anyway?
There are over 6000 sounds not including the free sounds from Axial.
Old 5th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I remember that it costs as much as a decent computer and Komplete and I think, "nope." I guess if you're a gigging musician who wants a gigantic portable library to haul around that's got no load time, this is for you. It's not for me though.
Oh, does it? You can buy complete and a computer with the remaining 1600 (plus DAW) capable of running 16 instances of the various plugins in real time for 2K? sure dude...Basically all you say on GS time and time again is that NOTHING is worth it to you except plugins...and that plugins are 100% the same as hardware and there is no sound difference.. WE GET IT.
Old 5th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Hey Mike- grats on your Integra, it is obviously a professional quality piece. Quick question- when you say "XV patches", etc. is this inclusive of my little baby XV2020? As in, do I have the same patches? I'm guessing no since the 2020 is so small and cheap...but J/W all the same.
Anyone?
Old 5th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Anyone?
sorry, i have no idea. They just say it has all of the sounds and waves from the 5080 plus all the expansion cards
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because:

- It would have been quite easy to think of the couple of things that would have made it a good live instrument;
- These features would have been easy to include, from a technical point of view;
- Most "pro" modules that Roland has made in the past didn't have those problems;
- It's the only current module of its kind.
Etc. etc.

It's not the first time that a Roland flagship product suffers from the "Let's stuff everything into it" syndrome; case in point, the JV-1000.

We can always hope for an OS update.

Quote:
If you want something catered for live performance, buy something else.
For example...?!
Old 5th August 2014
Quote:

For example...?!
Perhaps something without the limitations you see in the Integra maybe??? Seems simple to me!
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Well, you must be aware that the Integra is the only current workstation-style module.

My question was rethorical; there's nothing else around. The big manufacturers stopped making modules a few years ago.

Last edited by marino; 5th August 2014 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: clarifying
Old 5th August 2014
Quote:
Well, you must be aware that the Integra is the only current workstation-style module.

My question was rethorical; there's nothing else around. The big manufacturers stopped making modules a few years ago.
It can't be all things to all people. In fact, I swore it off early because to me it was 100% necessary to have a PC VST editor, yet they had none. I got lucky I suppose when they finally did release one 2 years later. The way Studio Sets are loaded will never change, though, so you might as well just forget about the Integra if that truly is a limitation to you. Next best thing is the Motif XS rack.
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because:

- These features would have been easy to include, from a technical point of view;
Actually, no, there's no way you could know that unless you were involved with the design and are familiar with the data & memory architecture,
Quote:
It's not the first time that a Roland flagship product suffers from the "Let's stuff everything into it" syndrome; case in point, the JV-1000.

We can always hope for an OS update.

For example...?!
You're never going to please everyone all the time and so you have to prioritize according to where the largest market is. The studio market could well be larger than the stage market, but I don't have any data about it, so obviously I don't know.

On a more subjective note, I'm glad Roland included the expansions even if they are slightly clunky - they add a LOT to the instrument.

Seems pretty clear that the core market for the Integra is the current XV-5080 owner. Giving those customers all of the SRX boards plus the 5080 standard patches sounds to encourage them to upgrade, and at a price that is much cheaper than the original XV-5080, which was $2000 in 1999 dollars, sounds very smart to me.
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The way Studio Sets are loaded will never change
I hope you're wrong...
Quote:
you might as well just forget about the Integra if that truly is a limitation to you. Next best thing is the Motif XS rack.
Yeah, exactly. I would have much preferred an Integra with all its Supernatural stuff, though - that's why I'm not happy about this silly limitation.
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Would you be willing to take 30 minutes - hour to make like 2-3 different pieces between 1-2 minute showcasing some of the different categories?

I'd like to hear some more user work created with the I7... that 10 second demo didn't do much for me.

I want to hear what it sounds like in a regular users hands, not a professional produced release demo. Those are so much more realistic than the professional demos that are released by Roland. Anyway if you have the time and would do that, that'd be awesome and I think everyone here would love to hear.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search