The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My Impressions of the Integra 7 after a few weeks Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
after my 5 disclaimers.....
lol dude why was that not a professional score perfectly mixed i mean cmon YOU HAD 4 MINUTES AND YOU BLEW ITTTT
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewportEight View Post
The only problem I can see with a rompler as vast as the I7 is the amount of time one needs to familiarise themselves with all the samples and where they are located.
Everything is grouped into categories if you use the PC, Mac or iPad editor. It couldn't be easier.

Old 30th July 2014
The new editor is not as sexy though, but its WAY, WAY more robust. It has editing for every parameter. The one above has not much to offer other than picking sounds and some VERY light editing.

Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

So what sounds would you say the integra is especially good with? What sounds does it suffer a bit / lack the most?
Old 30th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugo View Post
So what sounds would you say the integra is especially good with? What sounds does it suffer a bit / lack the most?
Keep in mind that it comes with more than 6,000 sounds. There are literally hundreds of everything. I doubt he has even listened to half of them yet.

Personally, I like the Supernatural grand pianos. I also have a MOX6, which has the pianos from the Motif XS, and I prefer the Roland pianos.

There are gobs of Rhodes and DX sounds - lots of very, very good ones. I really like the EPs.

Strings and pads - there are a BILLION of these. If you can't find ones you like, you're not looking hard enough.

It's got all of the standard rompler synth leads and polysynth sounds. It also has the Supernatural Synth built in, which is a very solid VA, although it sounds very clean and smooth to my ears. If you want grit, this ain't it. But you'd be hard pressed to look for an 80's/90's synth sound from any pop record that couldn't be found here.

The best ensemble brass stuff is in the brass expansion card. Lots of poor brass presets, IMHO. Woodwinds and other acoustic sounds are gorgeous throughout.

There are hundreds upon hundreds of synth bass and electric bass sounds. Anything you could want, really.

For organ buffs, the organ sounds are going to be a disappointment.
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

Don't forget about all the free expansions...

INTEGRA-7 | Axial
Old 30th July 2014
Also because the pc editor is a vst3, with cubase 7.5 i'm able to save my studio sets in mediabay for quick recall using my cmc controllers
Old 31st July 2014
yea it's great in Cubase - I love Cubase.
Old 2nd August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
Have you seen an FA in person? When I was waiting for my integra 7 I was so anxious that I went to Sam Ash to see if they had one. They did not but they had an FA-06. Compared to the Integra, it was a total piece of ****. sorry.
Mike, why do you think the FA stinks?

I know it doesn't have nearly the sounds of the Integra but appears to have most of the stuff I would use, and you can download more. Maybe I'm wrong. Are you referring to build quality, the screen, or just in general.

I want a big keyboard, something with nice keys, and good MIDI implementation. I use my MEK as my main board now but something with a lot more keys is what I'm after. A poly synth would be okay, but the FA appears to be much more streamline than buying a P12 or P08, and would fit better in front of me than a bulky synth. I'm thinking I would buy mostly modules and use the workstation as my main board.

thanks
Old 2nd August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post

I know it doesn't have nearly the sounds of the Integra but appears to have most of the stuff I would use, and you can download more. Maybe I'm wrong. Are you referring to build quality, the screen, or just in general.

I want a big keyboard, something with nice keys, and good MIDI implementation. I use my MEK as my main board now but something with a lot more keys is what I'm after. A poly synth would be okay, but the FA appears to be much more streamline than buying a P12 or P08, and would fit better in front of me than a bulky synth. I'm thinking I would buy mostly modules and use the workstation as my main board.

thanks
I just thought it felt cheap and dinky. It's small and cheap feeling, crazy cheap plastic, the screen is OK but the OS is kinda cheesy looking. I just didn't like it. It's not a professional level instrument. Have you seen a P08 in person? They are pretty small too.
Old 3rd August 2014
Gear Maniac

Been using the Integra for almost a year now.

Amazing product.

There's a lifetime of sound making in here.

Roland really are the best at making amazing sounding, extremely useful, extremely usable and extremely fun instruments.
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Well to each his own. But after some time learning my new Roland FA06, I fine the sounds to be very good and very pro. The brass and strings really jump out at me. The pianos are good after some editing. The organs are decent for a rompler. The synth is very usable for any cover tune live, with lot's of perks for writing and performing. Finally, it sounds way better than my old Fantom X. Kinda like the sounds of a new generation Fantom in the body of a Juno GI, with the interface and extras of Roland newest generation type workstation and SN synths. Not quite full service of anything but 75% of everything for around $1,100. Yes it is a mid-sized/mid ranged built keyboard but nevertheless, a win for me!!!
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRAZZ View Post
Well to each his own. But after some time learning my new Roland FA06, I fine the sounds to be very good and very pro. The brass and strings really jump out at me. The pianos are good after some editing. The organs are decent for a rompler. The synth is very usable for any cover tune live, with lot's of perks for writing and performing. Finally, it sounds way better than my old Fantom X. Kinda like the sounds of a new generation Fantom in the body of a Juno GI, with the interface and extras of Roland newest generation type workstation and SN synths. Not quite full service of anything but 75% of everything for around $1,100. Yes it is a mid-sized/mid ranged built keyboard but nevertheless, a win for me!!!
See that's my thinking as well.. I know it's not maybe the best available but it's probably an upgrade over my Fantom X8. The fantom is probably built better but I bet the sounds of the FA are way better now. Do you have the weighted 88 key version? I want to know if I will lose the quality of my Fantom X8 before selling it, I use it mainly as a keyboard controller but I still use the piano and saxaphone which still sound incredible. I don't want to give those up if the FA keys aren't up to par... also, I need this sax, I love it too much, so I need something in the FA that can replace it or supersede it.
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
See that's my thinking as well.. I know it's not maybe the best available but it's probably an upgrade over my Fantom X8. The fantom is probably built better but I bet the sounds of the FA are way better now. Do you have the weighted 88 key version? I want to know if I will lose the quality of my Fantom X8 before selling it, I use it mainly as a keyboard controller but I still use the piano and saxaphone which still sound incredible. I don't want to give those up if the FA keys aren't up to par... also, I need this sax, I love it too much, so I need something in the FA that can replace it or supersede it.
I have the FA06. Insofar as how much quality is lost, that will have to be up to you. I think the Keys on the 88 version are very similar to the Fantom G, the ivory feel and weighted. The synth casing itself will be quite a bit lighter, which I find a good thing. But I play live.

A word of warning though, there is a new learning curve to the FA's.
Old 3rd August 2014
How many memory locations are there in the new OS?
Old 3rd August 2014
I have been able to play the FA06 and 08 several times at GC.

My initial reaction was that they are indeed very "plasticky" - due in part to the shiny plastic front panel that Roland put on them. No, they do not exude the same "pro instrument vibe" that you will get from more expensive keyboards. The FA competes with the Yamaha MOX, and while Yamaha's instrument is also inexpensive and lightweight, and made of plastic, it doesn't come across as being as "cheap" as the FA does, IMHO.

But the FA is a great instrument for someone who wants a bunch of the Integra sounds in an inexpensive workstation keyboard. And these lightweight keyboards have become VERY popular with people who gig a lot, as they are much easier to move around than 40 lb. instruments in big, heavy road cases.

IMHO, the actions aren't anything special on any of these inexpensive models. The keybed on the FA-06 is very similar to the recent Juno models, being perhaps a bit better than the higher-end MIDI controllers that are out there. I don't think the FA keyboards have aftertouch.
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
I don't think the FA keyboards have aftertouch.
The Jupiter 50 and 80 don't even have aftertouch. ****ty considering even a $500 Bass Station II does.
Old 3rd August 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak View Post
The Jupiter 50 and 80 don't even have aftertouch. ****ty considering even a $500 Bass Station II does.
The JP80 has aftertouch.
Old 3rd August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak View Post
The Jupiter 50 and 80 don't even have aftertouch.
That's right, the 50 does not. This would appear to be one of several things Roland did to make the 50 a cut-down, cheaper version of the 80.

The Jupiter-80 does have aftertouch. I recall reading some complaints, however, about some of the limitations.

It should also be noted that the Yamaha MOX and Korg Krome models don't have aftertouch either. Once again, I think all of these manufacturers are basically saying that if you want aftertouch, as well as a number of other features, you need to buy the higher-end model.

Lastly, I would suggest that these manufacturers have determined that lack of aftertouch is not a deal-breaker for many buyers. Personally, while I don't mind having it as an option, I typically turn it off when using keyboards that have it. I tend to play rather heavily an often find myself inadvertently triggering some modulation or weird effect that I don't want. I have found aftertouch helpful, however, to add LFO when playing leads on my TI Polar, while playing live, and my left hand was tied up playing another part on another keyboard.
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
This would appear to be one of several things Roland did to make the 50 a cut-down, cheaper version of the 80.
That's bull**** and lamest possible excuse. Aftertouch doesn't cost even $5 to implement on the synth - it's just a piece of resistive ribbon, for crying out loud.
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleston View Post
The JP80 has aftertouch.
Forgive me. I usually *always* fact check before posting something like this but I distinctly remember reading that the 80 did not have aftertouch. Sorry for the error.
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

A question for Integra owners:

Let's say that I've stored a Studio Set which uses all four expansion slots - four SRX cards. If I need to switch to another Studio Set which is using four *different* SRX cards, do the Integra load those cards in memory automatically, as I recall the new Studio Set?
Please don't tell me that I have to load all the cards I need manually!
I wouldn't mind a bit of latency, but loading each card manually would be unacceptable to me.

I've read the reviews, but this point has remained obscure...
Any clarification appreciated. Thanks!
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
That's bull**** and lamest possible excuse. Aftertouch doesn't cost even $5 to implement on the synth - it's just a piece of resistive ribbon, for crying out loud.
I know, right? I mean, every other affordable synth has AT. Or do they? heh

The Integra is one of the few modern instruments I haven't experienced yet, but I'd love to. In fact, it's one of the instruments I'd buy sight unseen, simply because as DNGmaestro says, they're one of the best companies at making synths that are great sounding and fun to make music with. And in my case, program. The whole structure thing of the new Jupiters/Integra/FA is a little strange, but it's not quite as weird as Yamaha with its Job/Utility/etc mess, or Kurzweil in which I sometimes feel like I'm in a knife fight to get programmed.

I want to check these new Rolands out very intimately now, because of all the synths I've checked out, I'm particularly impressed with Yamaha's effects. In particular, the White Room reverb effect which is pretty close in quality to their rack studio verbs.
Old 4th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Well, whatever, but Yamaha does it as well. The very popular MOX keyboards don't have aftertouch. Want it? Spend a boatload more and step up to the Motif XF. Ditto for Korg's Kromes... no aftertouch unless you drop the big bucks for a Kronos.

And then Roland leaves aftertouch out of the FA. But at this point, the FA has no upmarket counterpart. If it was just $5, why wouldn't Roland add it to the FA, to give it another potential leg up on the competition?
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, whatever, but Yamaha does it as well. The very popular MOX keyboards don't have aftertouch. Want it? Spend a boatload more and step up to the Motif XF. Ditto for Korg's Kromes... no aftertouch unless you drop the big bucks for a Kronos.

And then Roland leaves aftertouch out of the FA. But at this point, the FA has no upmarket counterpart. If it was just $5, why wouldn't Roland add it to the FA, to give it another potential leg up on the competition?
You answered your own question. They want you to be encouraged to spend more money on the flagship with aftertouch... if they don't include it in the FA then you are more likely to buy the Fantom G if you're wanting aftertouch. Same thing goes with yamaha - they want you to buy the XF, they make more money on it, so they digress on including aftertouch to give you a reason to buy the more expensive board.

It really is incredibly cheap to implement, there is no real excuse for it to not be included.
Old 4th August 2014
Mike - glad to see you pulled the trigger! I'm sure you'll love it.

sound quality - If you guys wanna hear some tracks made completely with the I-7, I have a few on my beat selling website. Check em out!

Instrumental Playground
Old 4th August 2014
Quote:
You answered your own question. They want you to be encouraged to spend more money on the flagship with aftertouch... if they don't include it in the FA then you are more likely to buy the Fantom G if you're wanting aftertouch.
The Fantom is discontinued. At this point, Roland doesn't have an upmarket, high-end version of the FA with aftertouch.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
The build quality is really weak. Made in China.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino View Post
A question for Integra owners:

Let's say that I've stored a Studio Set which uses all four expansion slots - four SRX cards. If I need to switch to another Studio Set which is using four *different* SRX cards, do the Integra load those cards in memory automatically, as I recall the new Studio Set?
Please don't tell me that I have to load all the cards I need manually!
I wouldn't mind a bit of latency, but loading each card manually would be unacceptable to me.

I've read the reviews, but this point has remained obscure...
Any clarification appreciated. Thanks!
No, sorry. You have to manually load them. It takes all of 20 seconds though.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Fantom is discontinued. At this point, Roland doesn't have an upmarket, high-end version of the FA with aftertouch.
Fantom is discontinued? I honestly didn't know that.. they still have em at my guitar center. Anyway that's the only real reason I an think of for not including it, it is very simple to implement and is a much requested feature.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search