The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My Impressions of the Integra 7 after a few weeks Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 6th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
NOrd modular and reaktor serves those duties pretty well

Main reason I want an integra is for the huge amount of acoustic instruments , and ofcourse I want to delve deep into it's structure for creating sounds from scratch ( been 20 years since I delved into a roland synth ...xp 80 )

What that a rexording of a supernatural synth tone ?
Not really impressed , plastic sounding resonance .

Still think I am going for it
I have the Nord Modular G1. Ummm different beasts as in apples to oranges but the I7 sounds anything but plastic imho. The SN and PCM synth engines are great. The sample tweaking with filters and envelopes is also a major plus. It's personal taste but in my workflow the I7's VA synth sections see a lot more use than my NMG1.
Old 6th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by choond View Post
Good work. I love that OB6 demo you did!
Thanks. Really appreciate that.

Quote:

What that a rexording of a supernatural synth tone ?
Not really impressed , plastic sounding resonance .

Still think I am going for it
Yes, that is the SN Synth Engine. I agree with the "plastic" on this example. It can be pretty bland without some extra modulation and fx. You will have to put in some work if you want to get beautifully unique analog (like) stuff happening. I mainly got the I7 for the acoustic sounds. My rig was sorely lacking in that department. Plus I run a small studio and those bread and butter acoustic sounds usually hit the spot quickly for clients.

Last edited by rotundness; 6th September 2017 at 05:43 AM..
Old 6th September 2017
Lives for gear

How deep is the synthesis engine , programming editing wise ?
I know it has seprate env.'s and lfo for pitch /amp/filer , but that's about it I guess.

Like I said , the last roland rompler I laid my hands on was an xp 80 ( jv2080) , about 20 years ago
Does the integra hold a candle when to the almighty jd 900 when it comes down to editing , or even the xv series .
I know the latter has xfm and sync ..which the integra hasn't .

SO , how deep is it ?

Found some interesting thought .

Cons:
* frequent dropouts due to layering in presets and low (by modern standards) 128-note polyphony
* DAW/PC integration is poorly thought through (e.g. the USB connection only allows stereo L+R output), despite its name ("Integra"), and no ADAT or multi-channel digital out is available, suggesting that Roland's employees have never used computers for tracking or mixing
* No "Patch" mode: the Integra only operates in multi mode
* Limited effects routing possibilities: even though 16 insert effects are available concurrently -- one for each MIDI part -- no changes to this routing are possible, meaning that a maximum of 1 insert effect is available per part
* Very limited editing options on SuperNatural acoustic presets (e.g. you cannot turn the tenor sax into an evolving pad), and no editing at all is allowed on the otherwise excellent "HQ PCM" expansion bank
* Tame, unexceptional synth programming - most of the new synth preset sounds are devoted to realistic emulations of 20-30 year-old synths, of which there are often 20+ minor variations, such as "Jupiter Strings 1" through "20" --> Eric Persing is long gone :
* Minimal "Studio Set" programming (aka "Performance" in legacy Rolandese or "Combi" in Korgese) - where's the JV-1080 "Opening Orch"-like 16-part full orchestra preset spread across the keys?
* Many string and brass tones are still not as realistic as the 1992-1994 Roland S-series CD-ROM libraries
* Audible stepping on Supernatural synth filter sweeps
* No printed manual or patch+waveform lists provided
* Reasoning behind "expansion" sound-loading architecture and 4x expansion bank restrictions not explained; if I were not a 20-year ROMpler veteran I would have no idea what Roland is talking about, or what an SRX board is and why I should care about it

unquote

Seems there is filter stepping
Old 6th September 2017
Quote:
The Integra has two types of sounds: The "SuperNatural" sounds, which are not really editable at all (rather, there's a set of parameters you can tweak), and the PCM-based patches of the JV1080 (which have the same structure as the JV's and can be edited). So if you're into editing, it's not an improvement really.

Disclaimer: I'm talking about the realistic sounds here - there's also the SuperNatural Synth engine, which I haven't checked (not using it), it might offer some degree of editability.
Old 6th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Leaves View Post
Useful video about some technical details of the SN-Piano, which is included in the Integra-7, JP-80/50, FA-06/07/08, RD-800, etc.:

The v piano is physical modelling ..like in pianoteq ,
https://www.pianoteq.com/

Afaik , the integra 7 piano does not do physical modelling .
I think roland delibirately uses diffenrent terminilogy just to confuse the hell out of people .
If it's 100% modelled ( piano ), then it's physical modelling ...which is their v-piano .
As a marketing stunt ..they use the supernatural terminilogie , which is a combination of modelled filters ( for their supernatural synth sounds ) and seamless sampling / articulation .
No way on earth the integra has a physical modelled piano on board , knowing that the v piano costs about 4000 euro
Old 7th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know it has seprate env.'s and lfo for pitch /amp/filer , but that's about it I guess.
Sounds like you want it to be the ultimate VA synth with beautiful filter sweeps and great sound design tools, but its just not. You'd be wanting something like a virus, JD-XA, or a high end Nord for that.

The Integra is Roland's most complete, most playable, and highest quality editable sound library in a rack. It won't be as fun for you to program compared to VA's with hands on controls, and filters are utilitarian rather than than beautiful.

I love mine for all that it offers.

PS. I suggest you peek at the manual to answer some of your questions about what it does and does not do.
Old 7th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds like you want it to be the ultimate VA synth with beautiful filter sweeps and great sound design tools, but its just not. You'd be wanting something like a virus, JD-XA, or a high end Nord for that.

The Integra is Roland's most complete, most playable, and highest quality editable sound library in a rack. It won't be as fun for you to program compared to VA's with hands on controls, and filters are utilitarian rather than than beautiful.

I love mine for all that it offers.

PS. I suggest you peek at the manual to answer some of your questions about what it does and does not do.
Yeah maybe ...
High end NOrd ...Like the stage ..with it's limited synth engine derived from the A1 ? ..thanks but no thanks .
Happy nord modular user here ...
Virus never did it for me .

I think I just want a girlfriend
Old 7th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah maybe ...
High end NOrd ...Like the stage ..with it's limited synth engine derived from the A1 ? ..thanks but no thanks .
Happy nord modular user here ...
Virus never did it for me .

I think I just want a girlfriend
Well, perhaps just a hair comb and a new shirt. And shoes, girls notice shoes.
Old 7th September 2017
Lives for gear

Just download the parameter guide and see what there is to edit in each synth engine. As said above, the SN acoustic stuff doesn't offer much in the way of editing. PCM Synthesizer is the most comprehensive of the lot. My favorite when creating my own sounds.

The I7 offers: SN Acoustic, SN Synth, SN Drum Kit, PCM Synthesizer, PCM Drum Kit.

https://www.roland.com/us/support/by...wners_manuals/
Old 7th September 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
* frequent dropouts due to layering in presets and low (by modern standards) 128-note polyphony
Whenever I use Arturia Collection, UVI Falcon, Ableton Live Operator or Reason Thor @ 96Khz/24-bit audio, I don't get near 128-note polyphony. This is on an either my Intel i7-4770k or my Intel i7-7700HQ. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Old 2nd August 2018
Here for the gear

I agree with EvilDragon
Old 2nd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
SN-S Engine is 3 oscillator each with a Pitch, Filter, AMP EG, Single LF0 (as in single per partial) with a MOD LFO, multimode filter per partial, wave shaping, analog feel and ring modulation.

The SRX engine uses the same synthesis as the XV by in large (structures and all) so between the two you get all bases covered IMHO. The plug in editor is fully comprehensive and goes as deep as you want / need it too.
Old 2nd August 2018
Quote:
I wouldn't recommend buying an Integra if my main interest was filter sweeps. I find roland VA's/romplers fairly weak in that area. I'd recommend looking into some analog synths for that kind of sound . . .
I just got an Integra-7 and I love it—especially the iPad UI. However, the Kronos' filter-sweeps did really impress me, and in fact, they're the most impressive filter-sweeps of any of my VAs (including my VirusTI Polar).
Old 2nd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VennD68 View Post
SN-S Engine is 3 oscillator each with a Pitch, Filter, AMP EG, Single LF0 (as in single per partial) with a MOD LFO, multimode filter per partial, wave shaping, analog feel and ring modulation.

The SRX engine uses the same synthesis as the XV by in large (structures and all) so between the two you get all bases covered IMHO. The plug in editor is fully comprehensive and goes as deep as you want / need it too.
I have one for almost a year now
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search