The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My Impressions of the Integra 7 after a few weeks Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 24th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Leaves View Post
I've not yet tried the I7 editor, but when I see that screenshot, it looks like a LOT of recent Roland synth architectures - even the Gaia's. (Not saying the quality is the same, just the look-and-feel of the voice structure.)

Do a lot of more options lurk under the 'Pro Edit' button? Same as with the Fantom G (which has a way deeper architecture than I imagined).
Old 24th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mulcahy View Post
You're way off and I smell bull s***. I run just about all those VST's you mention, they do not "blow" the I7 away. Better in some areas than others? Yes.

I paid like $800 something for my I7 brand new. It wasn't overpriced, and imo I really don't hear any hype for the I7. Just a lot people on here that slag on it. Mostly from people who prefer working with soft-synths.

Good for you, you prefer working with soft-synths to working with the I7. Yay, now it's time for you to move on and stop trolling forums with your hate for a hardware rompler that didn't work out for you.

128 voices is not good polyphony? Ok...

I run so much s*** simultaneously with the I7 and I never have issues. Again time for you to move on and troll somewhere else.
Just because my opinion is different than yours, doesn't mean I'm trolling. I'm entitled to my opinion and to disagree with yours if I choose. Sorry if you're not liking what I'm writing from my experiences with the Integra-7. I know it's hard to read negative reviews on things that you have time and money invested in. That's the way of the world, my friend.
Old 24th August 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by manalishi View Post
I've not yet tried the I7 editor, but when I see that screenshot, it looks like a LOT of recent Roland synth architectures - even the Gaia's. (Not saying the quality is the same, just the look-and-feel of the voice structure.)

Do a lot of more options lurk under the 'Pro Edit' button? Same as with the Fantom G (which has a way deeper architecture than I imagined).
No, not too many. The most important to me under "Pro Edit" is the "Analog Feel" function, which is not available on the so-called "ZOOM-EDIT" screen. "Pro Edit" gives you mainly a list with all parameter value numbers of all three Partials at once, of one single Tone, which can be useful in some situations.

[Edit: I forgot to mention the also very important "Filter Env Velocity Sens" function under "Pro Edit"]

Last edited by Autumn Leaves; 24th August 2017 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: addendum
Old 24th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFoster View Post
Just because my opinion is different than yours, doesn't mean I'm trolling. I'm entitled to my opinion and to disagree with yours if I choose. Sorry if you're not liking what I'm writing from my experiences with the Integra-7. I know it's hard to read negative reviews on things that you have time and money invested in. That's the way of the world, my friend.
It's not like that at all Johnny. You come into what's basically an I7 owners appreciation thread and tell everyone it sucks. That's called trolling.

Here's an example... Imagine walking into a drinking establishment one late night and you started mouthing off to the locals about how for s*** their home team is (think American, British, or European football in this scenario). I don't think you'd make it out of there in one piece. That's the real way of the world my friend. It's easy to be an internet tough guy Johnny.

It's one thing to respond to a thread where someone puts out a question "I'm looking at various things, synth 1, soft-sampler 1, Roland I7, etc etc" and tell someone your opinion. That's open territory, go for it tell them like it is. You have our blessings. Live and learn Johnny.

Old 24th August 2017
Lives for gear

Halo world, does the Integra 7 have the velocity filter function?
Old 24th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Not with Komplete Kontrol.
Still light-years slower than a dedicated rompler, C'mon u guys know this....
Old 24th August 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresev View Post
Halo world, does the Integra 7 have the velocity filter function?
On the JP-80 the "Filter Env Velocity Sens" function is to find under "Pro Edit" of the SN-Synth engine. As the SN-Synth engines of the JP-80 and I-7 are identical on the SN-Synth Tone level, I could bet the I-7 does have that function too.
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone having both an Integra7 and a JD XA? I'm thinking of getting a JD to complement my I7, to have a more handson experience. Apart from the analog voices, it seems, looking at the manual, the digital synth part is the same and the Spernatural sounds are not included. It's a "real" synth. I'm more concerned over the overlap, the studio is full of analog polys, but having both analog and digital voices in the same box is tempting.
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsyd View Post
I guess we should all sell our hardware and buy Diva. This would finally end the hardware vs software debate. And music in general would benefit from er um a more individualised approach. No two artists would ever sound the same

I can't believe I just contributed to yet another variant of hardware vs software. Never again.
You're entirely missing the point. As someone already recognized, I am using a healthy dose of hardware with my software. But as far as I can see, the point of hardware is any of the below:

1) Lots of knobs and real time control for easy programming
2) Sound generation methods not on par with software (i.e. true analog)
3) Ability to take a single piece of gear and play it at a gig

The Integra-7 meets none of the above. Its interface does not make for easy programming, it's sound generation is nothing software can't do equally well since it's both VA and ROMpler, and if you wanted to use it live you'd still need an external keyboard to play it from. At least the Jupiter-80/50 meet the live performance criteria and I could understand why someone may want that.

And as for wanting to sound "more individual", I find that a bit ironic since the bulk of what's in the Integra are sound cards that have been available since the JV-1080/2080 and later XV-5080 days which have been thoroughly rinsed by every major producer by now. But if you still like them and it works for you, that's cool.
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
You're entirely missing the point. As someone already recognized, I am using a healthy dose of hardware with my software. But as far as I can see, the point of hardware is any of the below:

The Integra-7 meets none of the above. Its interface does not make for easy programming, it's sound generation is nothing software can't do equally well since it's both VA and ROMpler, and if you wanted to use it live you'd still need an external keyboard to play it from. At least the Jupiter-80/50 meet the live performance criteria and I could understand why someone may want that.

And as for wanting to sound "more individual", I find that a bit ironic since the bulk of what's in the Integra are sound cards that have been available since the JV-1080/2080 and later XV-5080 days which have been thoroughly rinsed by every major producer by now. But if you still like them and it works for you, that's cool.
OK, you win. On to the naughty step you go.
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
You're entirely missing the point.

That's possible. Maybe you're missing the point of the Integra 7?

I have one and even as a stand alone synth its good. I still use the iPad editor on mine and I'm getting the sounds out of it that I want. I mostly use the supernatural engine but having the gigasheetton of sounds built in was too awesome.
Old 25th August 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Is latency such a big deal? I can get down to 32ms on my DAW so I really don't feel anything. ....
To say it clearly.
32ms are far, far too high for playing live via keyboard.

Or ... you don't feel anything indeed.

br
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behrmoog View Post
To say it clearly.
32ms are far, far too high for playing live via keyboard.

Or ... you don't feel anything indeed.

br
I think they must mean they get decent latency with a 32 sample buffer size, even the most one fingered keyboardist is going to struggle with 32 ms latency
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydub View Post
I think they must mean they get decent latency with a 32 sample buffer size, even the most one fingered keyboardist is going to struggle with 32 ms latency
Correct - 32ms buffer. Thank you for clarifying. At this setting, I feel absolutely no lag when playing and yes, I did learn classical piano.
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
It's not like that at all Johnny. You come into what's basically an I7 owners appreciation thread and tell everyone it sucks. That's called trolling.

Here's an example... Imagine walking into a drinking establishment one late night and you started mouthing off to the locals about how for s*** their home team is (think American, British, or European football in this scenario). I don't think you'd make it out of there in one piece. That's the real way of the world my friend. It's easy to be an internet tough guy Johnny.

It's one thing to respond to a thread where someone puts out a question "I'm looking at various things, synth 1, soft-sampler 1, Roland I7, etc etc" and tell someone your opinion. That's open territory, go for it tell them like it is. You have our blessings. Live and learn Johnny.

This thread was not an Integra appreciation thread, it was about someone's first impressions. That opens it up for any and all opinions. And funny enough that someone who started the thread has since sold his Integra-7 and gone entirely ITB
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Correct - 32ms buffer. Thank you for clarifying. At this setting, I feel absolutely no lag when playing and yes, I did learn classical piano.
And yet you can't understand why people would prefer it? It's mostly about the way Roland responds to people's playing. Which, in my opinion is much superior to Kontakt sample instruments.

Of course, like I said in my earlier post, if you don't pick up on that it just helps clarify your abilities as a player and helps to put your opinion into greater context.
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
And yet you can't understand why people would prefer it? It's mostly about the way Roland responds to people's playing. Which, in my opinion is much superior to Kontakt sample instruments.
Yes, that part of the supernatural thing isn't it? Like some sort of organic articulation built into the sounds (I forget the Roland blurb).
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear

I think the average sound in the Integra is still relevant today.

You could build almost complete tracks with the module and then add another synth, drum machine or piece of software to finish it off.

Cheers
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's not 32 ms (milliseconds). That's 32 samples (which, depending on your sample rate, is quite a low number of milliseconds, <3 usually - but this is just a part of the whole latency you feel).
Old 25th August 2017
Pip
Lives for gear

As for the sounds having been rinsed - aha for good reason are they still relevant-well as relevant as all the old analogue sounds I use.
Old 25th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:

You may have missed one. Certainly so in my own case. Preferred workflow.

My preference is that I use the computer nearly completely, and only, as a recorder. I spend my entire workday at a keyboard, mouse, and monitors. I do not wish to spend all my free time doing the same. I do give in as far as using a computer as a recorder because it is good at that, especially as compared to tape.

And add to that that I'm an old guy. The world when I started all this didn't have anything ITB. So for me, recording is a bunch of rack stuff, a mixer with acres of knobs and sliders, and a bunch of keyboards. And like mostly locking in taste by your teens, that's just what I prefer.

As for just playing, all I have to do OTB is hit a couple switches and I have sound. You might think that's cheating, though, as the switches are on rackmount power distribution. You might think it's cheating, as my current setup requires powering 5 devices to get sound (keyboard, MIDI patch bay, rack module, mixer, speakers). In the oldest days, it was 2. Same number of switches, lots more gear.

I'm certainly capable of using software, and even capable of writing my own if I need to. I just choose not to. Others make other choices.
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear

I assume the integra has 2 different filter blocks .
- One lifted from the xv/fantom range

- one lifted from the jupiter 80/supernatural .

It's the latter I'm interested in , how does it sound , is there any filter drive etc....
Verry curious
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
This last statement of yours proves to me you have little or no experience with the I7 or romplers in general.

The built in PCM synth can shape any of the hundreds of SRX samples into entirely new sounds. For instance you can take a poly patch and make it mono, add portamento, tweak the filters and the envelopes and have something that sounds completely unlike the original sample and more like an analog synth from the 70's. The possibilities are limitless.

IF you were to dig into it and come across something that sounded like it WAS used by a "major producer" you'd have the luxury to pass on it and move on to hundreds of other samples at your fingertips, or the ability to slightly or majorly mangle it to sound completely different than what you heard on that "major hit single" that everyone would instantly recognize.

You need to move on home to your Plato's Troll Cave and get back to staring at the distorted images you're seeing on the wall. The rest of us will be out here using a perfectly great tool to make music with.
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
This last statement of yours proves to me you have little or no experience with the I7 or romplers in general.

The built in PCM synth can shape any of the hundreds of SRX samples into entirely new sounds. For instance you can take a poly patch and make it mono, add portamento, tweak the filters and the envelopes and have something that sounds completely unlike the original sample and more like an analog synth from the 70's. The possibilities are limitless.

IF you were to dig into it and come across something that sounded like it WAS used by a "major producer" you'd have the luxury to pass on it and move on to hundreds of other samples at your fingertips, or the ability to slightly or majorly mangle it to sound completely different than what you heard on that "major hit single" that everyone would instantly recognize.

You need to move on home to your Plato's Troll Cave and get back to staring at the distorted images you're seeing on the wall. The rest of us will be out here using a perfectly great tool to make music with.
I have owned a JV-1080, 2080 and XV-5080 - all purchased new when they came out and used quite a lot in their day due to lack of better alternatives. I sold them all over the years as I found less and less need for them due to software. And tweaking sounds on a rack module was never my thing. I prefer knobs and sliders. Having a different opinion and expressing it isn't trolling. Feels like I've just hit a nerve with you. I'm done here.
Old 25th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastmessiah View Post
Stupid question: what does the Integra offer that you can't get out of something like Kontakt or Falcon? It is just a digital ROMpler right? Is the hardware aspect just for fun or something?
When you get an inspiration, you want to bang it out immediately. But you can't do that if you are using a midi controller, and have to fire up your DAW, record enable a track, etc etc. It's nice to have sounds available on your keyboard at all times, even if the computer is off (or broken!).

I used a PC3X for years this way, until it broke. Then I was using a Yamaha Motif Rack XS, but that broke recently. I think the PC3X had better acoustic piano and organ sounds then the Motif, and the PC3X is like 20 years old technology, which is amazing.

I haven't tried an Integra, but am thinking of getting one, mainly for the acoustic pianos.

But I am also thinking about a Yamaha Montage. I know it's not a rack unit, and it's a lot more money, but still thinking about it. Problem is, it's enormous, and won't fit under my desk like my current setup.
Old 25th August 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
I assume the integra has 2 different filter blocks .
- One lifted from the xv/fantom range

- one lifted from the jupiter 80/supernatural .

It's the latter I'm interested in , how does it sound , is there any filter drive etc....
Verry curious
The SN-Synth engine's 7 filter types (each of them with either -12dB/oct or -24dB/oct) sound very good to me. The 4 LPF filters behave very organic and very much like analog filters do.

The 4 LPF filters are: LPF1: JP-80 type, LPF2: Jupiter-8 type, LPF3: Moog type and LPF4: Prophet type.
The HPF filter has resonance and there is also a BPF (band-pass) and a very useful PKG (peaking) filter available. Unlike the LPF, BPF or HPF, it does not roll off frequencies above or below the cutoff point. Instead, it emphasises frequencies around the cutoff frequency, rather like a single-band parametric equalizer. The amount of gain is controlled by the Resonance parameter.
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
In this day and age I just don't understand why anyone would want an Integra-7 when there are amazing software instruments that can do the same and more for much less while being completely integrated in your DAW workflow. For a live performer, I get it - and that's the Jupiter-80, but a rack module in today's world doesn't make any sense IMO.
I dont have a Daw Workflow in my home studio. Everything goes into a QU-24 mixer and I record on it, then I take them into the "DAW" environment at the main studio where I can work on stem mastering etc.. finishing up the work.

So I have my Integra-7 module there along with other synths etc.. Not everyone works the same way, there is a big reason people still buy actual hardware and consoles are still selling today. Not everything is 100% ITB

And I still have and use a TASCAM DA-98HR as well in my home studio
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Leaves View Post
The SN-Synth engine's 7 filter types (each of them with either -12dB/oct or -24dB/oct) sound very good to me. The 4 LPF filters behave very organic and very much like analog filters do.

The 4 LPF filters are: LPF1: JP-80 type, LPF2: Jupiter-8 type, LPF3: Moog type and LPF4: Prophet type.
The HPF filter has resonance and there is also a BPF (band-pass) and a very useful PKG (peaking) filter available. Unlike the LPF, BPF or HPF, it does not roll off frequencies above or below the cutoff point. Instead, it emphasises frequencies around the cutoff frequency, rather like a single-band parametric equalizer. The amount of gain is controlled by the Resonance parameter.
Nice .
Is filter FM possible ( audio range ) ?
Old 26th August 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
Nice .
Is filter FM possible ( audio range ) ?
If you mean osc-->filter FM, unfortunately no...
Old 26th August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post

Of course, like I said in my earlier post, if you don't pick up on that it just helps clarify your abilities as a player and helps to put your opinion into greater context.
This is just plain and simply incorrect propaganda based on ignorance. Maybe the included Kontakt instruments aren't as good as Roland's, in terms of how they respond to playing, but that has zero to do with capability. In fact, will a well made Kontakt instrument, you could get a s-ton more articulation data and use it's very capable scripting engine to get it to react any way you'd like. If you were clever about it and put similarly sized sample data on a solid state drive, I wonder if you could get similar load times too.

I'm not saying there's no value in having a high quality powerhouse filled with ready to record sounds that are expertly crafted that can be called up nearly instantly. But to say the Integra has some sort of magic sauce in terms of how it responds to the player is incorrect. Roland just did a great job with the factory presets.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search