The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What gear has given you the most "happy accidents"? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 31st July 2014
Sky
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb View Post
Nothing does happy accidents like Yamaha FM synths

D.
. I'll add that the morphing function in Opcode Galaxy Plus Editors worked wonders with FM synths. The function was supposed to create linear patches between two known endpoints, but FM is inherently non-linear. Result = chaos.

Sky
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

Every time I've used a step sequencer for anything besides drums.
Old 31st July 2014
I should probably add "acoustic guitar" to the list. Since it's not my primary instrument I tend to try random combinations of notes along the fretboard and more often than not come up with interesting song ideas. But for some reason this only works if I don't play for a week or two and then pick up a guitar.. strange.

Actually that's probably true of most gear, if I don't think about music for a week or two straight and then just grab any piece of gear or instrument for some reason I tend to come up with more "happy accidents" than if I try to make music on a daily basis.
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

Roland JV-2080 (mostly happy accidents with the FX)
Old 31st July 2014
I should say my modular but really is the v-synth that's the happy accident king. I'm not that great at programming so I always aim for sonethibg but end up somewhere else entirely.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Messing around with my K1r and this thing can sound absolutely disgusting (in a good way).

Old 7th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Having a sequencer playing the Nord Lead 2X in percussion mode while changing parameters makes for some interesting accidents. This goes for 1 and 2 as well of course.

The black keys will change the edit focus for the 8 sounds and white keys will trigger the sounds themselves.

Last edited by Muied Lumens; 7th August 2014 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 7th August 2014
The V-synth GT. The original v-synth is pretty crazy, but I'm finding the GT to being a box of bigger surprises. Hold one note,then mess with the controllers and sysex knobs in real time for creating evolving music for a long time :-) .
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Nut

The Leploop and its crazy sequencer. You can't predict what's going to come out. Then you can manipulate the length / step skip / speed / others for each pattern track. You can trigger env1 and env2 on different steps. The controls of the synth section are well suited to unlock more surprises with ring mod and fm. It always sound Leploop-ish but it's great fun. Match it with something that can sampler a few bars in sync like a Machinedrum or Octatrack and sample away!

The sequencer uses capacitors for pitch voltage memory. And they do not all discharge at the same speed. Pattern is always morphing slowly into something else. 16 analog pitch steps, 32 digital env trigger steps. Definitely not a machine i'd use in every track but it really is very different than everything i've used before.

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search