The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Jexus Roland Jupiter 6 review - syntezatory.net.pl Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 28th July 2014
Jexus Roland Jupiter 6 review - syntezatory.net.pl

Take a break from reading all those ridiculous digital vs analog threads and read his review for the Jupiter 6, along with an audio demo.

Syntezatory.net.pl | Roland Jupiter 6 - synthesizer demo.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Seems like a bit of an idiot though, doesn't he. He lost me at "robots vomit"
Old 28th July 2014
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Cool Polysix / Juno review.
Old 28th July 2014
Here for the gear

That guy is always awesome!
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

I love jexus.. He's an amazing artist and a very cool guy. Seems like his work is a very love it/hate it thing around here though. Even if he hates the synths, he puts them to better use than most people who praise them makes me respect his opinion much more.
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Nut

Jexus's synth reviews are some of the best/most hilarious things I have ever read about synths!

Read the Virus review, the Alesis iON, but so many others are gems. He is great!
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EofN View Post
Oh come on. I think he is very passionate and very informative about Synthesizers. Just like a lot of people here, which is great.
Old 28th July 2014
F5D
Lives for gear

He is very good with synths, but I cannot read his reviews, too confusing. However, watching his youtube videos is quite entertaining.
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Old 28th July 2014
Deleted c1b33bf
First he says "It just sounds like a glassy Juno" Then he says directly below that..
"the end result is that we do have an area of uniqueness on the Jupiter-6 that will not be covered or imitated by any Juno"

This is his worst review yet. He contradicts himself throughout and seems to be indecisive.
Maybe some artists should stick to what they're good at instead of reviewing gear ?
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

His reviews and video's confirm he is a unique character, but the sound clips are always super impressive, he can make any synth sing.
The JP6 demo is no exception.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Perhaps he is, and being passionate is generally a good thing, but how can a good review be based on trashing another synth that is completely different?

His rambling style may please some, but personally I think it's one of least helpful reviews I've seen.

I own six JX8P's (2 on the rack, stacked w/midi and set for unison for 8 osc per note x4 poly) and I think they have a sound which is so beautiful it gives me shivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic92 View Post
Oh come on. I think he is very passionate and very informative about Synthesizers. Just like a lot of people here, which is great.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Well he is one of the few, and maybe the only one, who complements his review with his own programmed sounds. That IMHO puts his opinion way above many others.

As far as this review he seems indecisive specially about the value-price ratio.
Old 28th July 2014
Deleted c1b33bf
Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
Well he is one of the few, and maybe the only one, who complements his review with his own programmed sounds. That IMHO puts his opinion way above many others.
Jexus says the Jupiter 6 is the most reminiscent of the Korg Z1. You can listen to his demo of the Z1 to compare. Clearly they are not even close.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Idiot? He's the best synth demonstrator on the Internet.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Also, isn't his original language Polish? I think that's why his English reviews read a certain way - English is his second language.

Although I could be wrong about this, because I don't know him.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear
Hmm, weird review. I usually enjoy Jexus's reviews and videos even if his taste and style are very different from mine. But I was surprised that one of his major criticisms is that the Jupiter 6 doesn't hold up as a Juno on steroids - I thought he'd be more apt to come to it on its own glassy/cold analog terms. Given his love for synths like the AX-80, you'd think he'd be into the "non-supple" analog qualities of the Jupiter 6.

Then again, sounded like he probably dropped a lot of $ on it and the price to usage issue was important. The Jupiter 6 is one of the few big polys I dream about, and yet even if I could afford one there are many other things I'd buy first.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

As much as I enjoyed this review, even though he's being quite critical of my beloved Jupiter, I'm not sure I learned anything. He kind of right in a lot of what he says but confusing at the same time.

His demo is less confusing. I'm surprised he didn't like it given what he was able to coax out of it. I manage way less and still love it
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

He's absolutely right about the second LFO. A real bummer.
Old 28th July 2014
I hope one day he gets his hands on a Prophet 5 and a Jupiter 8.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted c1b33bf View Post
Jexus says the Jupiter 6 is the most reminiscent of the Korg Z1. You can listen to his demo of the Z1 to compare. Clearly they are not even close.
Not exactly; in making this statement he's comparing their capabilities re bizarre fx, not overall sound.

Reread it for clarification.

At any rate, he sure makes the JP6 sing and really showcases its midrangey drone friendly resonance and textures nicely.
Old 28th July 2014
Deleted c1b33bf
"But I reached the interesting conclusion that of all the vintage synths the Jupiter-6 is the one most reminiscent of
the Korg Z1 (or V-Synth) with its atonal spacey broken-glass / giant-vacuum-cleaner FX and mutant-mosquito buzzes and resonator-sweeps"

He said with it's FX, buzzes, and resonator sweeps. So that statement is not limited to effects. Considering the two videos sound nothing alike, I think it's a stretch to make that comparison.
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by fewture View Post
Jexus's synth reviews are some of the best/most hilarious things I have ever read about synths
The beginning of his Waldorf Q review is some beautiful misanthropy.
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensory View Post
First he says "It just sounds like a glassy Juno" Then he says directly below that..
"the end result is that we do have an area of uniqueness on the Jupiter-6 that will not be covered or imitated by any Juno"

This is his worst review yet. He contradicts himself throughout and seems to be indecisive.
Maybe some artists should stick to what they're good at instead of reviewing gear ?
I see no contradiction ... The Juno isn't glassy at all
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

i got my Kawai K3 based on his video, also his kangaroo dog video is hilarious!!

nebula
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Basically he should have added that the Jup-6 ain't nothing more but Rolands failed experiment to build a Jupiter with Curtis Oscillators. Two sound aesthetics that simply don't gel too well. Although the SH-101 has it's charme. But then it's a just another mono.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

His review reflects exactly how I always thought about the Jupiter6.
An impressive instrument with great ingredients, but the final result, the sound you expect from an instrument of this caliber is just so-so. Not that you can't make some good sounding noises but never found it really useful. Also never understood why it is valued so high. Sold it after years of keeping it and have no regrets about it.

chrissugar
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Awesome Grimes cover at 2:09 of the demo!
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimmt View Post
Basically he should have added that the Jup-6 ain't nothing more but Rolands failed experiment to build a Jupiter with Curtis Oscillators. Two sound aesthetics that simply don't gel too well. Although the SH-101 has it's charme. But then it's a just another mono.
I love those curtis oscillators. The only bad thing is the software envelopes and lack of second envelope. But I understand why many people don't like it.
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search