The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Jexus Roland Jupiter 6 review - syntezatory.net.pl Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

He did miss some things that I enjoy about that synth.
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
No expensive synth is going to make him happy in today's climate. He factors it into his assessments of the Jupe 6 and Andromeda. Like "synth x is 3 times the cost of synth y so it should be three times better"

It would be interesting what it take would be in the late 90s-early 00s when his favorite digital synths were super expensive and the Jupiter 6 could be had for only hundreds of dollars.

Love his reviews and thoughts though. Still valid even if I often disagree with him. He's like a modern Julian Colbeck for me. It's like reading old Keyfaxs. A bit quirky, often contradicts himself from one review to the next and needs to be taken with a large grain of salt.

His sound design is not my cup of tea so for most demos I just drop in every 30 secs or so like dropping the needle throughout a record.

he probably paid a decent amount for some of the waldorfs, like the q?

the review to me sounds like he found the range of sounds limited, but he really liked the sounds he got out of it to me. that you can get those popular classic sounds and you can get some good interesting sounds unique to the jp6, but it's hard to justify the cost because it doesn't feel like there is much more to explore.

the sounds he made i thought were very good sounding versions of the sound he makes, maybe some of the best, but then again you don't hear quite a lot of the other kinds of sounds he makes.
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

All that buzzing ground loop stuff in his demo, sounds like he has a non-optimal signal path TBH.

The Jupiter 6 sounds better out the XLR output, smoother and more extended highs.

The envelope smoothing circuit can mess up the sound a bit, changing the caps improves that. The output blocking caps can give a slight improvement in the bass end as well if they are uprated a bit.

Other than that, the synth is great for stuff with a techno / electro edge IMHO, think a poly 101, shades of a 303. Programing percussive patches gives a Roland analog drum texture. Of course if you use bandpass or highpass, it is going to sound bright. I wouldn't begin to compare it to a Juno TBH, they are so totally different.

This isn't a synth to get if you want the fatest, lushest analog pads money can buy. It is the one to buy if you want a versatile polysynth that gives you 6 voices of that Roland techno tone. It can sound beautiful and delicate, or like a ton of bees getting run over by a bulldozer. Be prepared to program and explore, and to turn up the volume if you use lots of resonance on a sound!
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

i'll start off with his demos are always entertaining.

he does squeeze some interesting tones out of his gear.

however he makes everything sound very samey with the types of sounds he squeezes. and that's to be expected to an extent, he's very focused on a certain type of sound and goes for it from his gear as do we all. i try to go against my instincts when i sit down to program a synth and try to let the synth surprise me with what it does rather than shape it to what i want (to be fair there's a whole lot of that anyway). but in jexus case he really processes the sound the same no matter what the synth and programs the same types of patches no matter the synth so it all sounds mostly jexus and less the synth so....

while i do like his sound design and am very entertained by his demos, as a reviewer i find him not so much as he's generally too busy "imposing his will" on the instrument which doesn't lend itself to a good review because his will isn't my will and i need to know "will it do what i want"?

and the flipside generally a good reviewer is more of a player in a cover band type that is a slut in the sense he'll do anything for a buck and has a wide brush that covers a lot so he will show off a wider variety and you get some sense of what the synth will do for you somewhere along the way
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

oh and forgot to add

your favorite synth sucks
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

Jupiter-6 and Matrix-12 is the best combination of analog goodness for me! Yes, other people like the MiniMoog, I love my JP-6.

Others must think the same…

Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks, but I just bought a Chroma Polaris and that's my budget gone for a while! That's a great deal though, hope it finds a good home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
If you want another one, I've got one with the PG-800 and flight case I'll sell for $800.
Old 31st July 2014
Deleted c1b33bf
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Hz View Post
All that buzzing ground loop stuff in his demo, sounds like he has a non-optimal signal path TBH.

The Jupiter 6 sounds better out the XLR output, smoother and more extended highs.

The envelope smoothing circuit can mess up the sound a bit, changing the caps improves that. The output blocking caps can give a slight improvement in the bass end as well if they are uprated a bit.

Other than that, the synth is great for stuff with a techno / electro edge IMHO, think a poly 101, shades of a 303. Programing percussive patches gives a Roland analog drum texture. Of course if you use bandpass or highpass, it is going to sound bright. I wouldn't begin to compare it to a Juno TBH, they are so totally different.

This isn't a synth to get if you want the fatest, lushest analog pads money can buy. It is the one to buy if you want a versatile polysynth that gives you 6 voices of that Roland techno tone. It can sound beautiful and delicate, or like a ton of bees getting run over by a bulldozer. Be prepared to program and explore, and to turn up the volume if you use lots of resonance on a sound!
You nailed it in your description. I don't understand the description of the jp6 in the review as being glassy ? I would think that would be more of a jp8 thing ?

To me the jp6 has a tendency to be a little more coarse, aggressive, and squelchy, with lots of midtone. Of course it's flexible enough to create fat, smooth transitions for bass & pads as well.
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EofN View Post
Perhaps he is, and being passionate is generally a good thing, but how can a good review be based on trashing another synth that is completely different?

His rambling style may please some, but personally I think it's one of least helpful reviews I've seen.

I own six JX8P's (2 on the rack, stacked w/midi and set for unison for 8 osc per note x4 poly) and I think they have a sound which is so beautiful it gives me shivers.
Welll.....an idiot! he's clearly not..

It makes me shake me head at how you would make such a disrespectful comment about someone that has taken the time to put it all out there, has some serious synthesis skill, and time after time, he showcases a different instrument from the past.....(way in the past) that he has zero personal stakes in.

We all have opinions about gear (it's not personal...just subjectivity)... You are a fan of the JX8P...so am I (I own two of them).

The JX8P has some amazing capabilities, and can exist in two states....possibly none of which it is the king....but it can be that 'Soundtrackish" thing,, but if you lose the chorus and do some real work,,, it can also be a very decent poly analog that might even go to some places that a J6 can't.

That said.. I have owned an MKS80 for almost three decades (yeah...i'm that old).... It's kind of a J6 with some much better expression and a punchier sound as well as some other things.... But I still cherish my JX8p's for what they do.

The JX8P isn't an easy love affair after you use it and throw it out for it's presets.....but many people don't go down that road unless they have the programmer...that changes everything. It won't change the sound of the DCO's....but you will appreciate the other virtues.
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Hz View Post
All that buzzing ground loop stuff in his demo, sounds like he has a non-optimal signal path TBH

a vhs tape is an optimal signal path in my opinion
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

So basically I made an ass of myself, it's not the first time and surely not the last... Obviously this guy has made a great contribution to the synth community, and that should be respected. I don't like his review but that's okay, his style is not for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknobeam View Post
Welll.....an idiot! he's clearly not..
It makes me shake me head at how you would make such a disrespectful comment about someone that has taken the time to put it all out there, has some serious synthesis skill, and time after time, he showcases a different instrument from the past.....(way in the past) that he has zero personal stakes in.
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EofN View Post
So basically I made an ass of myself, it's not the first time and surely not the last...
No...you didn't make an ass out of yourself. You expressed your opinion possibly a little like i do sometimes...without tempering or EQ.

Hey,, how can a guy that owns 6 JX8P's and a Polaris be so bad (I also own two Polaris's). You are going to fall in love with that sound... it's tricky at first,, lots of stuff seems backwards and unorthodox...but the more time you spend digging,,, the more magic that emerges.
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknobeam View Post
Hey,, how can a guy that owns 6 JX8P's and a Polaris be so bad (I also own two Polaris's)
Good point... I'm curious too..
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
His reviews and video's confirm he is a unique character, but the sound clips are always super impressive, he can make any synth sing.
The JP6 demo is no exception.
Interesting point..and in all the recent plug in killed bambi threads i think this is the missing link.. Why do people insist that analogs sound better analog when many tests show that a a lot of preset sounds can be recreated 1:1?

Is it the singing? Is it possible that plug ins have´nt learn to sing yet? that the sound got analogish, but not the interanl reaction to parameter changes and modulations?
Do plugs dont have singing states like analogs? or at least make it way more difficult and stiff to tune into the singing states?

Is the stiffness of plugins on realtime parameter changes just flaws in user interaction design? Like response time , parameter resolutions, parameter ranges.. internal modulation summing headrooms..saturations&offsets..?

Better plug ins model saturation in the signal path..but do they model saturation on filter modulation buss?

It would explain why we have this split reality where some people dont hear a difference between an analog synth and a plug in while others claim that it is like a day night difference.

Not sounding analog enough,.. is that just the not analog behavior under realtime editing? And people that come with a piano approach that just play presets but dont make synthezisers sing, just dont get that? While others that try to get such sounds from a synth and not getting there, call the plug in not analog sounding, but dont get that its not the sound that is the problem but the way to a sound that dont feels analog?

In any case an area where plug ins still can improve.. And prove that analog hardware synths are not yet obsolete at all..

Anyway stupid claims.. instruments are never obsolete.. the only can be out of fashion ..even get forgotten.. but obsolete? a good instrument is a good instrument and stays a good instrument as long it is not broken.. no fashion can change that.
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

He demos digital synths too. And makes them sing. I don't think it's a question of whether digital "know how to sing" or some other iteration of analog versus digital.

His whole thing is the irrelevancy of that entire concept; its the synthesist, not the synthesizer. And I have to agree.
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerton View Post
His whole thing is the irrelevancy of that entire concept; its the synthesist, not the synthesizer. And I have to agree.
QFT.
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Nice.
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerton View Post
He demos digital synths too. And makes them sing. I don't think it's a question of whether digital "know how to sing" or some other iteration of analog versus digital.

THIS.

I remember before I got my JP-8000, I read his written review and he didn't seem to impressed with it compared to other VAs. Then I go and watch the two videos that accompanied the review and I thought, "WTF? Is this even the same guy who did the review? These videos make it sound like a total acid trip!"

I think a lot of his written reviews are intentionally contradictory though. On one hand, he says he wasn't too impressed with the JP-8000, but then he goes out and buys the JP-8080 rack version and reviews that as well, ending it with the the quote, "JP owners and enthusiasts, I f**king hate you all :D"

There's also his Juno-60 review... he says that he doesn't consider himself a "collector," yet the review ends with a picture of him standing next to FOUR Juno-60s, haha!

Clearly this guy is having a laugh with these reviews. It's the videos and sound clips that speak the truth.
Old 1st August 2014
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor View Post
Jupiter-6 and Matrix-12 is the best combination of analog goodness for me! Yes, other people like the MiniMoog, I love my JP-6.

Others must think the same…

Always loved my Jupiter 6 and xpander . Then I tried a Jupiter 8...more different than I expected . Like a super clear smooth and even bigger 6 , however not as versatile and not the same so would still never loose my 6 . It just has it's sound and nothing else will do !
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search