The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Jexus Roland Jupiter 6 review - syntezatory.net.pl Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

No expensive synth is going to make him happy in today's climate. He factors it into his assessments of the Jupe 6 and Andromeda. Like "synth x is 3 times the cost of synth y so it should be three times better"

It would be interesting what it take would be in the late 90s-early 00s when his favorite digital synths were super expensive and the Jupiter 6 could be had for only hundreds of dollars.

Love his reviews and thoughts though. Still valid even if I often disagree with him. He's like a modern Julian Colbeck for me. It's like reading old Keyfaxs. A bit quirky, often contradicts himself from one review to the next and needs to be taken with a large grain of salt.

His sound design is not my cup of tea so for most demos I just drop in every 30 secs or so like dropping the needle throughout a record.
Old 29th July 2014
Gear Addict

yeah I agree completely with the review, and though it's rambling I do understand and agree with just about every point. The JP-6 is a looker and you want it to have that sweet analog tone, but it just doesn't. I've been bashed for saying it's one of the older synths that I would have no problem using software to replace.
Old 29th July 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
The beginning of his Waldorf Q review is some beautiful misanthropy.
"Imagine a guy: a middle-aged, successful businessman (or just an astute trader), having several sources of income and a sizeable home studio kept as a hobby, who equips it with just the most expensive synths because he thinks that only the most expensive stuff is worth anything good, but when he realizes that it's not quite the way music and art works he decides to sell some of the synths and advertizes them as being in "perfect condition", but of course they are not - but how the **** should he know that - he's way too busy a man to waste time on some knob tweaking. And even when you call him to ask some basic questions before the purchase (because he had imposed phone call as the only approved way of contacting him) he's getting kinda itchy - as if you were taking too much of his precious time asking questions every child knows the answer to - and finally, when you prove you know more than he does in the matter, he takes on an attitude - like he thought that all he has achieved in his life authorizes him to be a dick.

Now imagine the next thing: I've met two Q owners and they both were like that."
Old 29th July 2014
Gear Nut

he is a synth programming genius. his reviews are entertaining and have educational value but i wouldn't use them to make purchasing decisions. why would you ever just rely on a written review to make a decision on purchasing a synth? i completely disagree with a lot of his reviews. i'm pretty sure i remember him bashing the nord lead 2 and i feel that was one of his best demos he's ever done.. the raw tone and darkness he got out of that synth was incredible.
Old 29th July 2014
Deleted User
I like his reviews, and he is brave to have a guest book. But guess what, I browsed the first page of his guest book, and they were all positive comments (as they should be IMHO)
Old 29th July 2014
Gear Maniac

He is peerless. nobody has spent the energy and effort to squeeze every nuance from every synth imaginable. Listen to the audio demo of this Jupiter 6 - amazing...

While he weighs cost heavily against the gear in his reviews, his opinions are incredibly founded in experience. that's lightyears ahead of the bias that most of us express on gear we heard in a youtube video once or twice.. it's a bias none-the-less.

I miss his videos badly though.. there was a whole other artistic element that really makes it hip that doesn't come across on mp3 demos..

His Waldorf Q video was miraculous. the DX7 demo was outrageous. the ensoniq ones... the blofeld.. I feel like his Juno 60 review drove the price up on those things (or animal collective)...
anyway i think the output and quality of his demos speaks louder than words.
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

my introduction to jexus

(warning: contains graphic images. may not be suitable for all viewers. viewer discretion is advised.)

Old 29th July 2014
I believe in Jexus.
Old 29th July 2014
jexus' attitude seems to be a kind of an antithesis to gearslutz, which is refreshing for sure.

when i got to the mp3 demo, it all came into focus... it would seem that the sour grapes displayed in this thread are due in no small part to two factors:

1. envy
2. vested interest in the inflated economy of vintage synthesizers

i kid! i kid! :
Old 29th July 2014
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by EofN View Post
Seems like a bit of an idiot though, doesn't he. He lost me at "robots vomit"
No he doesn't seem like an idiot, maybe you need a sense of humour.
Old 29th July 2014
Gear Nut

His reviews make more sense than SOS reviews to me largely because other places tell you if gear does what it should do well and not much more. Jexus has his finger on the pulse of weirdness and the synth as a complete experience. Watch that DX7 video. I actually appreciate the frankness with which he writes.
Old 29th July 2014
I wish he would put out an album ... or join The Legendary Pink Dots.
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pichi View Post
I wish he would put out an album ... or join The Legendary Pink Dots.
Now that would be awesome. His crazy sound design would sound awesome with the Dots.
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

I don't dispute that he may be the best synth demonstrator on the net, but I think in trying too hard to be a funny guy, the humor is more like

Young kids may think that an over the top presentation style is "funny" like on a Saturday morning show, but to me it's just kind of boring and annoying, rather like when you see an unoriginal comedian and they're just recycling old jokes that you heard already ten times, and then if you don't laugh "you don't have a sense of humor."

I don't doubt he is a great programmer and makes several valid points, but I am not impressed with his eccentric style, especially when he critises the JX8P which is an amazing, under-rated synth. A truly "great programmer" will be able to coax out whatever magic is hidden under it's panel, in spite of it's limitations!

I also disagree with the assertion that "wow, this guy.... he's the ONLY ONE who can make a synth sound like (dark, grimy, gritty, blah etc.) as if he's some type of synth messiah. Absolute rubbish! This is a synth we're talking about, not the sword of Excalibur, he is not the chosen one, get real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayon View Post
No he doesn't seem like an idiot, maybe you need a sense of humour.
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

I also disagree with the assertion that "wow, this guy.... he's the ONLY ONE who can make a synth sound like (dark, grimy, gritty, blah etc.) as if he's some type of synth messiah. Absolute rubbish! This is a synth we're talking about, not the sword of Excalibur, he is not the chosen one, get real!

Nobody said that, it's only he is one of the very few which reviews are complemented with actual sound design, so you know he put it to good use. Thats the extra value you get from his videos.

When yu read other review, as in magazines, with presets sounds as exampels they really dont tell much.
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

I'm really surprised he didn't mention the JP-6's best feature by far (at least for me) ...

The "wide" pitch bend setting that goes for three octaves — most analog synths go only one octave at most — and basically takes the sound from low-or-high audible to low-or-high inaudible with a smoothness I've never heard before ... On every track I make I still miss going for that pitch bender and seeing what I can come up with ... (But that's about it ... )

Other than the often-mentioned searing leads, as well as the ability to make some really fantastic plink plink noise soundscapes, I found the JP6 to be fairly wooden and fuzzy sounding — or extremely aggressive in unison mode — in not necessarily the most pleasing way ... Satisfying basses are very tricky to come by ... (Yeah, and more than most, I think, the low end drops out right away when working the filter cutoff and resonance ... )

You can certainly create nice synth sounds — and it does have it's own character — and of course the control panel is gorgeous ... But like Jexus said, it somehow doesn't end up more than the sum of its parts ... (I still think its icy demeanor is still the perfect foil to the sunny beauty of JP-8 ... That's why I sold them both at the same time ... )

If I was interested in maintaining a huge synth studio, I might have kept it ...

On another note, not really sure the best parts of JP-6 can be faithfully replicated in software at all, but it's overall sound was never something I came to love dearly ...
Old 29th July 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
especially when he critises the JX8P which is an amazing, under-rated synth.
A synth he

1. Gave a positive review
2. Did two videos for
3. And various audio demos (more than most)
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Perhaps he is, and being passionate is generally a good thing, but how can a good review be based on trashing another synth that is completely different?
You seem to be taking this a bit personally...

Quote:
I own six JX8P's [...]
Oh.
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
Idiot? He's the best synth demonstrator on the Internet.
exactly. he is a synth God, owns almost every synth known to man and backs it ALL UP WITH audio AND Video. show some goddamn respect.
Old 29th July 2014
Quote:
Seems like a bit of an idiot though, doesn't he. He lost me at "robots vomit"
Obviously a lot of us think he's really great and find this comment you said about him harsh.

But it's a good physiological study on gearslutz that whenever someone says something bad about a synthesizer or product on gearslutz, a common reply is usually an insult or hate toward the poster. Funny how for some reason, it's as if whoever likes that piece of gear feels personally insulted.

In all reality no need to insult someone who doesn't like the same gear someone else does.
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I own six JX8P's (2 on the rack, stacked w/midi and set for unison for 8 osc per note x4 poly) and I think they have a sound which is so beautiful it gives me shivers.
If you want another one, I've got one with the PG-800 and flight case I'll sell for $800.
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

You're expensive synth is crap.

That is jexus' message to the people.

Amen.
Old 29th July 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
But it's a good physiological study on gearslutz that whenever someone says something bad about a synthesizer or product on gearslutz, a common reply is usually an insult or hate toward the poster. Funny how for some reason, it's as if whoever likes that piece of gear feels personally insulted.
I like the JX8P ... won't stop me from ragging on it from time to time... great but flawed synth. Any honest synth-geek knows that.
Old 29th July 2014
Gear Addict

Love my Jupiter 6. Does it bother me he didn't think it was amazing? No. Thats the beauty of being human. We have different taste. The Jupiter 6 to me is kind of like a Nord Lead. They are much better with a great efx processor and a good dynamics processor. With the rez open 25% and a bit of compression it absolutely sings with stabs and pads.
Old 29th July 2014
Gear Addict

Swearing in every review under the pretense of having a unique style. There's nothing unique about it, most 13 y/o do it in high school. He's quite predictable to be honest. The vintage analogue synths that fetch insane prices will receive poor marks. Lower end synths will get more positive reviews because they fall better into his punk-ish subculture.

The truth - Jexus gets bored with the bread and butter sounds. Expensive synths sound better in this area, which is important to those who make music other than noise.

Bottom line: he was right 100% about the DX7 though
Old 29th July 2014
Gear Guru
He gave it "proper" ... it's a positive review.

I see now why I'm a bit misunderstood here..
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerton View Post
You're expensive synth is crap.

That is jexus' message to the people.

Amen.
It's kind of true. Look at the Korg MS-2000. One of his (and mine) favorite synths. You can pick one up easily for under $500, and it's one of the coolest sounding synths ever. It does so many things, and does so many of those things well. It can produce harsh, chaotic noise, and lush, warm tones without skipping a beat. It has MIDI, an arp, delay, chorus, a sequence modulator, VA and digital waveforms.

Price is very important to me. When something is expensive, I need to be able to justify it, especially when synths like the MS-2000 exist.
Old 29th July 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurebirch View Post
The truth - Jexus gets bored with the bread and butter sounds. Expensive synths sound better in this area, which is important to those who make music other than noise
Don't agree ...

1. he likes the Juno 6/60... Pretty bread n butter there.

2. My old Jen SX1000 will do bread n butter better than a huge overpriced 2 OSC monstrosity
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post

In all reality no need to insult someone who doesn't like the same gear someone else does.
That would all be well and good if people used phrases like "it's not my cup of tea" or "doesn't go where I want it to", but instead people say all sorts of not-so-thought-through things and disparage other people's opinions in the process.

No wonder people feel a bit hurt, when both their baby and their opinion is insulted.

But with robot's vomit Jexus is of course being facetious, so I wouldn't get upset over that, and as a Jupiter-6 lover, I found him to be fair and honest. Add to that some real sound design, and his reviews are really quite useful. Just have to read a little between the lines.

By the way, he also called the JX-8P a "proper experience" in his review of it, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurebirch View Post
The truth - Jexus gets bored with the bread and butter sounds. Expensive synths sound better in this area, which is important to those who make music other than noise.

Bottom line: he was right 100% about the DX7 though
I thought there was a fair share of bread and butter sound in that Jupiter-6 clip. Certainly more experimental stuff, of course.

And a good reviewer is never objective, they're just honest in their subjectivity. You learn over time what areas you tend to agree with and can filter out the rest. I feel Jexus is quite transparent, and given his skill, that means his reviews can be quite valuable for a prospective buyer.
Old 29th July 2014
Gear Addict

I'm not denying the fact that Jexus has plenty of skill. I thought that his demo clip sounded stellar, a league above the Junos. I don't agree with what he said about the Jupiter 6 overall character.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search