The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why does older analog synths sounds better than newer? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear
why is skeletons always into evil stuff?
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear
So this is a thread about cars and film noir right?

Cool.

I like chocolate.. But not when it includes mint
Old 5th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureman84 View Post
Yes. We all need to have our cars as our avatars.

Let's talk about David Lynch films.
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
Yeah.. it's like all of Mad Men wrapped up in one little story that tells it all.
I love movies that force you to watch it twice... just came out on Blue Ray btw!

Jus tryin to change the subject... and agree again.

(btw- I don't hate your car.. but I found it funny that you were self aware and pointed it out.,. and I remembered my gf looking over my shoulder and mentioning "who the hell is that" .. .so yeah I think it gets you "undue attention")
Just watched it yesterday on Blue Ray.

I agree, movies you have to watch more then once are always more interesting.

Nothing wrong with a little subversion....
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
BTW, Sharp11, what kind of car is that? Z4?
Yes, '05 Z4 - I was heavy into autocrossing and track events back then, so I wanted something small and light - that car came up at an incredibly good price.

I kept it a year then got a 4-seat convertible, a BMW with a performance package (ZHP here in the states) - still fast, but not a race car, and more practical and better on my back Still driving it 8 years later.

I've always loved cars, a weakness of mine
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear
As well as disliking chocolate with mint, I'm not a fan of chocolate with orange.

Anyone else share my tastes?
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
very underrated.. I heard Burt loved making that movie.

Yes it is good to agree
I love all kinds of movies.. my dad had a roledex to find the movies that my mother(librarian) made a system for .. to find movies in our collection much easier. He owned nearly every C.E.D. made (because it was pennies for a crate of movies). First movie I watched on heavy rotation around 5 was Allegro Non Troppo by Bruno Bozzetto. That cat left a real impact on me.
Ok, you've earned my respect - this is the problem with internet-only exchanges, we make enemies with people we don't really know ...

"The Swimmer" .... there are probably only ten people in my entire life who've seen that movie or even know anything about it ... heh

Burt played another lonely guy character in a movie I'm quite fond of, if you haven't seen it, it's "The Killers" ... a real gem and a classic film noir from the late 40's. I watch it every time it comes on ...
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureman84 View Post

Cool.

I like chocolate.. But not when it includes mint
You don't like the venerable Peppermint Patty? If I'm on the road late at night, I'll always stop for a Peppermint Patty and a coffee - one of life's simple pleasures.

Not sure how I feel about orange and chocolate, though.
Old 5th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
I've always loved cars, a weakness of mine
Yes, me too, although different kinds of cars.

I had a 2004 Jaguar S-Type for a few years - in British racing green with a 4.2 liter V8. Best of all, it had a 420-watt Alpine sound system in it. I used to say that the car was actually a killer stereo with a Jaguar built around it. I loved that car.

After that, I had a 2006 Jaguar XJ8, also in British racing green, and also with a V8. Unfortunately, that car was completely "accordionized" when I was stopped behind another car and rear-ended by a girl who was texting and going about 45 mph. Fortunately, no one was seriously injured.

After that, I had to put two kids through college, and have been driving more "sensible" Hondas ever since.
Old 5th August 2014
Ksp
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Prophet View Post
Why is it that older Moogs, Prophets etc sounds better than newer Moogs, Prophets etc? New analogs still sounds awesome, but older analogs has more edge, are more focused and more aggressive. Are the components built of not available any longer, are the old components too expensive to day for the way synths are manufactured or what?

Is it not possible to build modern synths with the sound quality of older analogs? Or ... ? Any idea?
all modern synths are voiced or designed in sound i think to confirm to the current trends alot , that and spec obsession and also i think cheaper components that mimic older components make most new analogues sound ' new ' but at that point its really taste and preference.I find the sound of vintage / old geat very different from new analogue gear but i think they all have their place.Having said that there is something about Any old musical instrument , give it 30-40 years and all these new analogues may well be sounding or seem to sound old ? / vintage / the nostalgia also is a factor...
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
Yes. We all need to have our cars as our avatars.
What if you're a white van man weekend amatuer though?!
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
Ok, you've earned my respect - this is the problem with internet-only exchanges, we make enemies with people we don't really know ...

"The Swimmer" .... there are probably only ten people in my entire life who've seen that movie or even know anything about it ... heh

Burt played another lonely guy character in a movie I'm quite fond of, if you haven't seen it, it's "The Killers" ... a real gem and a classic film noir from the late 40's. I watch it every time it comes on ...

Only popping in because you guys love "The Swimmer" and that makes 6 people in the world I know that even know that film exists. Brilliant pic!

-andrews
Old 6th August 2014
Deleted User
Ain't we just a little bit OT now?
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

After 14 pages, it's tough to stay on topic...

Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why is it that older Moogs, Prophets etc sounds better than newer Moogs, Prophets etc? New analogs still sounds awesome, but older analogs has more edge, are more focused and more aggressive. Are the components built of not available any longer, are the old components too expensive to day for the way synths are manufactured or what?

Is it not possible to build modern synths with the sound quality of older analogs? Or ... ? Any idea?
Quoted so y'all might stay on topic.

Nevertheless, at the skrillex comment... Skrillex probably never touched a standard boring classic analog hardware synth and if he did, you'd never know it through all that DSP and editing. And the comment has nothing to do with old analog models of the same type as modern analog models OF THE SAME TYPE. So yeah, this isn't about the woes of brostep.

hmm.... "woes of brostep"... sounds like a band name...
Old 6th August 2014
Deleted User
What about electric components in analog synths - does it affect the sound when getting older (for better or for worse) as there are not two old analog synths that sound the same?
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Maniac

I figured out why the old analog synths sound better than the new analogs. The new analogs lack the "Mystical Glyphs" on the old circuit boards. This is where the Magic comes from!
Attached Thumbnails
Why does older analog synths sounds better than newer?-retropressure11.jpg   Why does older analog synths sounds better than newer?-pro1art2.jpg  
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astralform View Post
I figured out why the old analog synths sound better than the new analogs. The new analogs lack the "Mystical Glyphs" on the old circuit boards. This is where the Magic comes from!
Ha! The Pro One was the first synth I ever repaired / fixed up. For a while there, I just figured that it was common for synths to have cool stuff like that on their boards. Still the only one I have seen.
Old 7th August 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Apart from the sound, that was very interesting. Any examples from particular synths?

And why a sign for Buddhism at the circuit board to the left and "magic mushroom" (the first of the three mushrooms on the glyph) at the circuit board to the right (looks like a SCI Prophet regarding to the font)?
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear
Emax has some mystical 'glyphs too
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
That makes sense. I never bought the wood endpiece thing. Like what's the end caps got to do with the sound?
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Here is a 95% Analog synth tune

I love Analogs be it mental or what have you.
They just sound better to my ears
Old 7th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrafty View Post
nice colours in that tune!
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwood View Post
nice colours in that tune!
Cheers for that,
Its a who's who of old and new analogs.
Shame about soundcloud mangling it up a bit, it's much clearer
in person.

Needs must

Thanks again, I'm proud of this track (it is still new to me though)
Old 7th August 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrafty View Post
Here is a 95% Analog synth tune

I love Analogs be it mental or what have you.
They just sound better to my ears
Sounds great! What synths were used?
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds great! What synths were used?
Sh-101
Jupiter 4
Moog Model D
Andromeda
Omega 8
Analog 4
BSII
MS20 ( Original MkII )
V-synth XT
OP-1
TR-606 MOD
Octatrack

Cheers
Old 8th August 2014
Deleted User
Double post
Old 8th August 2014
Deleted User
Wow, thats an impressive collection of great instruments and in hands of someone that can use them

BTW, your website isn't open up
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search